Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Serfs up, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

There's always money in the banana diagram

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

There's so much going on with this, from the transposed results, the bad rounding to have 101% voting, to the confusingly-phrased title. It's perfect.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYTpd8QOSA0&t=224s

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, Peruvian in Virginia? Maybe there's a cluster up around DC, but I know there's way more Salvadorean restaurants around there, and likely zero Peruvian places in Richmond or Tidewater. Tex-Mex, Thai, Filipino, sushi; far more of those all over the state.a-1

There's a really good Peruvian place in Charlottesville called Al Carbon

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Journals will publish anything and everything put in front of them.

100% depends on the reviewers you get

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Cite them a bunch and they're bought.

Very true

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Bar graph should've been 3 trash cans of different heights

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i dunno, i just found it to be a spooky number

What if it was 69 more cases?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

And something else he did was of course made the "Ingredients of an all-natural banana" poster that went viral a couple years ago.

At first I was like "where's the isoamyl acetate" which is the flavor used in fake banana products but I looked it up and the IUPAC name for this compound is 3-Methylbutyl ethanoate which is the first ingredient in flavorings.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Buttchocks posted:

What are the statistics on not soaking the bacalau before eating it?

I just chew it dry while it sucks all of the moisture out of my body

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Similarly, the Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans in 2002 and Charlotte received the expansion Bobcats two years later. Twelve years later the Hornets changed their name to the Pelicans and the Bobcats took on the old Hornets name and colors AND got their history up until 2002, while the Pelicans are treated as a franchise formed in ‘02.

See also Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies. And by happy accident the Detroit Pistons and Houston Rockets got more fitting names after moving!

The funniest team to move and keep it's name has to be the Jazz moving from New Orleans to Utah, with the Lakers (Minnesota to LA) a close second

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Piell posted:

Yeah I read that and its dumb, the solution either way is you Google it. Also it's very funny that this uses "you have to reach out to a person unprompted" as the example and completely ignores the more common situation where you're trying to set up something at a specific time between people on a bunch of different time zones. It's way easier to get "Ok, we'll all meet at 2" rather than having to go "ok so thats 2 for me, what time is that there" and have everyone convert between their timezones

Edit:

Good news
https://twitter.com/SenateCloakroom/status/1503797632745025542?s=20&t=yODAQthCq5txKKvGYn8bFg

The GOVERNMENT isn't just stealing our MONEY, but also our TIME. WHERE DID THAT HOUR GO THAT WE JUST LOST, HUH???!?!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

PYF awful/funny graph, charts, and username ideas: towering elevation of unsaturated blubber

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

M.D.s doing research and leading a study even though they have no experience and just started after medical school

:awesome:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

To be fair, checking her CV she did years of a clinical residency to start with. did she lead studies in that??

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic and unfair to her. Just speaking from experience, I have worked with some very demanding and bad MD researchers (and also some good ones). The graph would not hold up to publication level scrutiny, and that's why it's on a research poster.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

different version, same idea:

She replaced a Johnson, but wasn't able to outlast a Bonar

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/PHD7dF7.jpg

It's actually a pretty good graph imo but we don't have a thread for that

PF Wang's

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah i can't tell if i'm missing something or if that looks trendless

I can't believe poo poo like this was printed in a journal with an impact factor over 2. I am assuming the only reason it was accepted is because the corresponding author is a professor at an ivy league school and probably knows the head editor.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Really low unemployment is bad for the economy because there are not enough people to do the work. You have to hire someone who's already employed elsewhere, wait weeks or months for it, and now they have an unfilled position, and so on.

It's good for workers and bad for companies, which means it's good

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

unironically Virginia is probably #1 because all those numbers are inflated by the presence of shitloads of military-industrial complex corporations with names like Advanced Eminence Tech Inc, LLC (a wholly owned subsidiary of Holdings Corp.)

It's an eminence front

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Turn it into a political compass by relabelling it:

Philosophy - History
Art - Age of Consent Laws

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

O'Keeffe plots

Gonna use this next time I make a violin plot

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

how do you like them apples?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Blue whale vs Vatican City

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Virginia has towns named Ladysmith, Bumpass, and Tightsqueeze.

Don't forget Goochland and my favorite Lickinghole Creek

Whooping Crabs has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Nov 15, 2023

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Garrand posted:

When a mathemetician is trying to get their cat's attention and suddenly has an epiphany.

lmao

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Angepain posted:

It's pretty simple. You just need to imagine that Monty Hall adds a fourth door, and tells you there is a goat in it. Then there are two possibilities: the door you chose contains the goat or one of the two doors you didn't choose contain a goat. But now Monty Hall has put one of the goats in the fourth door, meaning that one of the doors doesn't contain a goat but instead contains two possibilities, one of which is that the door you chose was originally a door with a car but now the car is logically in the other door, and the other is that one of the goats has moved and the door you chose is now the door with either the car or that a fifth door would have a car if a goat was in the third door. Then logically what you need to choose is the door that would have not been opened if you hadn't changed the car door or if the goat had been in a car. So if Monty Hall were to add a sixth door then the door would either contain a car or would contain whatever the third door contained when you switched to a goat, so if you don't switch then the third door will contain either a goat with a door or a car with a hall, and knowing that you can then move the door to the second door and open the goat to find another door that Monty Hall has been behind the whole time, having told you the goat which the car placed was in the fifth door when it was in fact both behind the sixth door and the third door that would have been second if you switched from the goat to the car.

Thanks I finally understand now

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

:911::freep::911:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

140% pure cocaine. It's more cocaine than cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

They say a picture is worth a thousand words but this one is worth at least ten thousand and they are being screamed at you at the same time