Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
That’s not even a Cucuruz Doan’s Island, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dessel posted:

Recoa's entire arc in the series is kinda....troubling by modern sensibilities.

I really like how the execution of the whole episode where Reccoa turns evil, the pull of Scirroco feels sinister and horrifying in a way little else in the show does. I just wish it was for a character turn that wasn’t just “bitches be crazy!”

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
He also has a massive collection of Piccolo and Portgas D. Ace merch, and has even had a dog named Ataru and his most recent dog is Piccolo. I really hope episodes 6 and 7 of Unicorn have more of my beautiful shithead son, Kai Shiden.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Angelo? More like Gyunei Less

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hey man, Angelo is way too down bad for an adult at least.

True, but I think Angelo’s less engaging as a character than Gyunei; he’s just a boring little toady.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My favorite part of Unicorn so far was Banagher spending time with the Garcenieres crew and realize they’re all humans who have their own reasons to hate the Federation, but then in the next battle Banagher’s horrified they’re casually slaughtering civilians, but then he tells Bright “they’re not bad guys!”

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My biggest problem with Unicorn is that the conspiracy stuff isn’t well-written or executed, so something that isn’t even that complex feels a lot more complicated, and the Wow Cool Robot scenes are so long, they help drown it out as well. I’m enjoying it so far (I still need to watch the final OVA), but I’m checked out on the story.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
You aren’t the first person to bring up Marida being better than the Ples, and I will agree I don’t like how Ple II was handled (I had to look up if she actually died, it was a Poochy-rear end moment), but she’s going to have to do some heavy lifting in the final episode to beat Ple I, who’s easily a top 5 Gundam character for me. A war machine not understanding family but growing close to a brother figure because she finds someone like her? Good enough that Witch from Mercury borrowed it and executed it well, too.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
But most importantly, robots get hosed up real good in Unicorn.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve just started my first Super Robot Wars game (I went with X just for Gurren Lagann) and I can’t wait until I get to the Gundam stuff I have seen, unlike G-Reco and F91. I don’t really know about switching the pilots around, does that affect the story in any meaningful way?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The only good Wufei bit is when he goes all Big Boss in the battle with Heero in EW. Well, that and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jl64zgBsxE

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Delta Plus is a huge downgrade.

Arc Hammer posted:

Delta Plus would be cooler if it was gold.

:yeah:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ohtori Akio posted:

finally gave 0079 a second try, up to episode 28. its unreal how much cooler the zeon suits are than these first round of good guy suits + every single episode i get a sick rear end shot of a smeared beam saber or similar gutting a zaku like a fish before it explodes. glad i went back in

Guntank slander?? Mods???

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ohtori Akio posted:

Both versions of Funny Blastoise are good but they're no Dom.

The Gouf and the Dom are still two of my favorite designs, I especially love the color scheme of the Doms, and it’s funny when the leader of the Black Tri-Stars says “Doms can do stunts just like you!”

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If we’re going with Tanaka, it’s difficult to beat the Shining Finger theme from G Gundam. It gets me pumped up whenever it starts playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-MHDclkBY

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

parabolic posted:

This is what it sounds like to me when any mechs are fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bud4gwM5krc

Someone help me out, what’s the Wing track that plays when Heero tells Relena he’s going to kill her?

Last Impression is my favorite OP/ED style Gundam song I’ve discovered so far (outside of maybe Shukufuku)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC0CHk0DtdI

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Those heads look like they’re smooshed into the helmets, like their heads are proportionally too big for the helmets they’re wearing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Arc Hammer posted:

There's something about how angular the SEED designs are that puts them off for me. I feel I'd like some of the mobile suits better if they were done in a different art style while retaining their same basic shape, if that makes sense.

I haven’t watched SEED, but whenever I’ve seen at the model kits, it’s like the designers gave them all 5 sets of the Nu Gundam’s funnels.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I think this (along with the rest of the episodes where Hello Kitty gives Gundam the power of friendship) was also supposed to promote a festival thing celebrating both anniversaries, even with an appearance by Toru Furuya!

…in March 2020 :smith:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LuiCypher posted:

As for the men... Is it Bright? The fact that the man always manages to survive the worst UC has to offer and somehow still isn't running the show feels like a parallel/self-insert to the point of parody.

I’m pretty sure the answer, from the tweet, is Quattro Bajeenas.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ohtori Akio posted:

gundam stories where the gundam textually rather than just subtextually makes you ultraviolent ftw.

Thinkin about lil baby boy Quatre obliterating a whole colony because of the Zero System.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ohtori Akio posted:

personally im thinking of allenby going murder death kill style when the mad scientist pulls the lever

I can’t believe I didn’t go here first.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ohtori Akio posted:

she's dramatically under respected. and frankly i blame you

I accept blame for remembering Wing, a bad show, before G Gundam, a very good show.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Nessus posted:

Was Chara Soon officially a cyber newtype? Because she must have been one for a while given how much drat hair she had. It would be very funny if she was just like that naturally, and it would probably make her one of the greatest pilots of the UC given what she was able to do.

When she returns to ZZ, they talk about her “training” and I think even enhancement, so possibly. If she was a Cyber Newtype, she’d be the only person made more sane by that treatment.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Mashymere becoming a Cyber Newtype is maybe the second biggest downgrade in the Gundam I’ve watched (the first is the Hyaku-Shiki to Delta Plus pipeline).

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Stairmaster posted:

Otoh char and amuro bonding over wanting a mommy gf did save the planet from destruction so who can say for sure

I don’t know if I’d say Amuro bonded with Char over that.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Arc Hammer posted:

Don't watch ZZ because you think you'll need to see it to understand CCA. Watch ZZ because it's fun and good.

:yeah:

ZZ provides some interesting context for CCA, but it’s not strictly necessary. The important part of ZZ is the Shangri-La gang and Roux, who all rule. There may be some naysayers who don’t like the comedy and think the show flips a switch from silly to maudlin like Futurama’s iHawk, but I like the shenanigans and it doesn’t flip like that, it builds up to it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ImpAtom posted:

Beecha does not rule.

I’m so pissed the one Super Robot Wars game I’ve played featured him rather than Mondo or Iino. Although it did reference the time he stole the ZZ and got his poo poo rocked, that was funny.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I like the clunkier, chunkier mechs in ZZ, but Zeta wins the mobile suit contest just for the Hyaku-Shiki and Dijeh alone.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

The first “episode” of ZZ is awkward as hell.

Hey kids, how in-touch with our branding are you? Name all these mobile suits, available in stores now!

I still called out the names.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Geze is a literal scrapyard mech.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The last time 0080’s music was brought up, someone mentioned it’s Al’s score, doing some cool robot adventures with your new big bro! It’s very fitting for Al’s POV, but it places it in its time less gracefully than other synth-heavy scores of the 80s.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Warhammer 40k fan film Gundam looks like a Master Grade that’s missing random armor parts.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Finished ZZ. Didn’t like it much by the end. Just ran out of interest in the characters, can’t put my finger on why. The shounen pandering was way heavier in this series than others I’ve seen as well; in terms of how women are treated, the deluge of unique enemy mechs, and zeta zeta being a voltron.

Chara “Boobzilla” Soon is a hell of a character.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a mess but it's my mess

I honestly don’t think ZZ is that messy, I think the midway tone shift is executed a lot better than people give it credit for and it feels like you’re building up to it. The only parts I can think of that are truly messy are the Ple deaths, which don’t have the weight and aftershocks of other character deaths.

Edit: oh wait whoops I forgot the Leina thing lol

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

Was Seed the first show that had Gundams which could fly long distances in atmosphere because they had wings? The Wing Gundam in Wing had Wings, but iirc it still needed to transform to actually fly more than just doing a big jump.

Wing Zero flew through space and into the atmosphere with the angel wings in Endless Waltz.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

brainwrinkle posted:

It’s not for everyone, but G-Saviour is only an hour and a half!

G-Saviour defender here, it’s really not terrible! It’s a 90s made-for-TV movie, so if you adjust your expectations to that level, it’s a cheesy fun time with some surprisingly good direction! And I really like the battle scene, the dated CGI and animation works in the favor of the movie to give the giant robots some weight.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ImpAtom posted:

JP in this case. Mu is Takehito Koyasu (He's been in loving everything under the sun but in Gundam terms was Gym from Turn-A and Zechs and is best known as Dio from Jojo these days)

Wait woah Zechs Merquise is DIO?? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This might be a controversial take, but I’ll say it anyway: yes