Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Honestly, of the three emotionally deadened child soldiers, only Mikazuki seems to even be trying.

He understands that relationships are a matter of give and take. He knows that you should share important experiences with your partner. That you should spend time together whenever you can. That you shouldn't ask for anything that you're unwilling to work for yourself. And that, when times get tough, that's when you stick together.

(Also, for the list, Nadi and Merribit seemed happy together. Bright and Mirai also seemed to at least beat the spread, even if they had a lovely kid and some awkwardness from time to time.)

"Hey your brother Lockon was killed in action. You're Lockon now."
"No I'm not my brother and stop trying to make me into him."
"Whatever Lockon, get on the ship."

6 months later

"PS I killed your girlfriend."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it was just a quirk of the character designer. Almost every character had a really sour resting facial expression.

It owns.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If I never watch the episode of Destiny with Meer's bad end, it didn't happen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bring Stabity is a legend.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I decided to start rewatching 00, and boy howdy is it Wing 2, with perhaps a tendency to overexplain the politics at least early on, but gundam fans still seem to struggle with "Zeon are the bad guys" so maybe it's necessary for something a little more complicated. Not even halfway through season 1 yet, but it still holds up pretty well with a good mix of wow cool robot and solid characters except Allelujah, if with a somewhat inconsistent tone. When I get to season 2 I am going to try to focus on what it actually does well in that mess.

I will probably continue to not watch the movie.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Just about everyone but Patrick did, to be fair

Yeah pretty much everyone but Patrick and Setsuna got screwed over by season 2, and the movie takes care of the latter. I guess Feldt also mostly came out okay?

It's kind of a shame that the 00 timeline is basically a dead end, since all they could really do with it would be the prequel stuff, which would be a bit unsatisfying. I guess they could decide the movie is non-canon.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 17, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I actually liked a lot of Lockon 2 and his arc except for the poo poo with Anew.

Yeah Lockon 2 is pretty good, and even the Anew stuff wouldn't have been bad if it weren't so transparently obvious she was going to bite it one way or another.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shoutouts to the A-LAWS commander that they made fat and ugly so that you know he's bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Still going off memories of 00 s2 rather than a fresh watch, but I kind of agree that the basic elements for it are mostly right but it just comes together too sloppily and hamfistedly. Authoritarians taking over as a united government is a fine story beat because of course that was going to be a result of the old dead guy's stupid plan, but they go too far in the mustache twirling direction. The crew having to rebuild and fix what got screwed up by the dumb and still ongoing original plan is fine as a driving motivation, but because CB as a larger organization has never really been fleshed out, it feels kind of arbitrary that they just can do that. Saji and Louise having continued involvement in the story as former bystanders dragged into it on each side is good, but it gives us the world's unluckiest boy with no obvious reason for him to be most of the places he's in, and Louise is now somehow a super soldier piloting an advanced weapon rather than just a regular pilot. Sergei getting iced has no real purpose other than Ramba Ral has to die and they needed a way to make Marie relevant again but couldn't just make her relevant on her own I guess. Liu Mei betrays the rest of CB for no real reason other than they needed to tie up her involvement I guess, and Nena is along for the ride, when they didn't really need to even do anything with them other than maybe have Nena get killed in the final battle or something. The innovades hardly come across as characters with any independence or much backstory, which to be fair I guess is the point for at least one of them, so Anew falls completely flat other than Lockon 2 needs some pathos.

Setsuna's character change also seems to come out of nowhere, but I could just be misremembering.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 18, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I mean in SEED it's always atrocity o'clock, which can be a bit much. And then Destiny decides that actually wasn't enough so they add a few extra hours to the day for more atrocities.

Though I guess that is still a lower tier than dropping literally all of the colonies or whatever in the backstory for one of the other UC series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Good lord this was so frustrating back when this was airing. There's no hint that fully developed AI's existed in this world, so GBN created a goddamn miracle. But instead they chose to keep a video game going rather than maintaining the holy grail of computer science. No one even brings up the idea that they're murdering a sentient being, but talk about how GBN is important.

God, Build Divers just sucked on every level.

To be fair, that's probably accurate to actual video game companies.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just want them to put wodom pod in mbon as a 2k and mobile doll May as a 3k.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe UC will finally die.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Prowler posted:

Just finished Iron-Blooded Orphans, and I absolutely loved it. My first full Gundam series. It does have some issues, but I think character development, motivation, and the story are handled really well, especially the ending.

Yeah, this. McGillis is a fairly complex character. The show recounts some of the terrible abuse he has experienced and touches on how it eventually made him obsessed with power. I'm not sure how their relationship could be read as romantic--McG actually reads as asexual, and she is the only person he openly cares about because .

One of the major themes of the series is how "normal" people have a tough time understanding the mindset of "human debris" and orphans: how they struggle to form bonds/attachments with others (and how utterly awkward/difficult it is for any of the main cast to express or understand feelings other than anger/rage and [sometimes forced] happiness), how they desperately seek approval from a strong adult figure, and how the value of their lives is based on how much they can contribute/work (so, feelings of worthlessness/disillusionment when they cannot help due to injury or not being strong enough). Their purpose in life is dictated by those who control them.

To me, the controversial relationships are meant to be controversial--they are designed to make you feel uncomfortable, and there is a ton of gray. I have not read much discourse about IBO, but I imagine it is similar to the discourse surrounding stuff like Breaking Bad: viewing the protagonists as inherently good and always right, and pull for them to win at any cost. This ignores the context of the story, what the other characters in-universe communicate to the viewer, and etc.

Any other Gundam series that are similar in tone and structure?

00 season 1 may scratch a similar itch since its main cast is a bunch of broken people trying to justify their actions that are frequently morally questionable, but be prepared for disappointment when season 2 backs way off to a more conventional story that is told sloppily.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Is Gundam wing the only Gundam series where the second op isn't a downgrade

Destiny season 1.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Daybreak's Bell is better than Ash Like Snow. I'm sorry but it's true.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In vino veritas.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ramadu posted:

I've been told 00 is really good too? I'll probably end up watching them all since I have a lot of free time right now and I do like the shows so far.

I will say I like the monoeye suits a lot because I think my first mecha anime I ever saw was VOTOMS and i dig the scopedog (4 lyfe) and I guess the designer is the same between the shows.

The first season of 00 is really good. The second is significantly less so because I guess the production committee got cold feet and made it way too conventional gundam, with sloppy tying up of loose ends as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gundam fans' souls are weighed down by UC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

One of my favorite 00S2 bits is when Katharon shows up to beat the A-Laws with a bunch of regular Flags and then Kati shows up with Patrick to reinforce CB.

The Kati-Patrick power couple is one of the best parts of 00 s2, and I love that they've committed to it in the Build universe.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Legillis and Zeydra are cool, based on having played them in mbon. All the actual gundam AGEs look like junk, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He also adapts to G forces that should turn him into paste by sheer force of will, and then it becomes too slow for him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Onmi posted:

Here's the current fallout from Operation Stardust that I'm aware of.

-Instead of Cima, Geil Hunt is the one who executes Delaz on the bridge, he's then killed by Gato in the Neue Ziel, which leads Cima to fight Gato.
-Bask betrays Cima in the middle of the battle and beheads the Gerbera Tetra (Previously thought to be a kill shot)
-Kou, Kelly, Nina and Gato all go into the colony.
-Nina still points a gun at and tries to shoot Kou? Still not sure on this one.
-The Dendrobium is destroyed, or leaves, Kelly's status not known can't find the scans.
-Stamen fights the Neue Ziel
-Kou Beats Gato - rips the cockpit out of the Neue Ziel, tells him he doesn't get to die a heroes death
-Nina tries to get Kou to board a Komusai as the Albion, the Komusai, the Stamen and the Neue Ziel cockpit enter the Atmosphere.
-Everyone(?) survives reentry.
-MP's invade the Albion, drag Kou out and arrest him, they plant charges on the Stamen and destroy it in front of Kou as the Gundam Project has been deleted.
-Keith saves Kou from being taken away by the MPs(?)
-Synapse is taken away by the MPs.
-Fuckin' Cima shows she's still alive and is getting interviewed by Alice Miller, tells Miller that Gato is probably still alive.
-Nina and the other people on the Komusai are apparently hiding out.

drat, sounds like there's finally something good in UC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope that one girl got to gently caress Cima.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The best haro is in Wing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Where the gently caress are Leo and Tallgeese?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the BFG would be closest to Virtue's main cannon in terms of appearance and effect.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

koreban posted:

If Zeta is available, I’d love to know where so I can get into that, otherwise, 00G is one of the “good ones”, right? Ive been reading back through the thread and between the meta conversations and how much I’ve consumed lately, it’s a little blurry.

00 season 1 is good, 00 season 2 is a mess, Awakening of the Trailblazer has a good goof in it at least.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Season 2 has a lot of strengths. Good designs, great villain, and it hits it's high points very well. People discount it a lot for not being what they wanted it to be, but if you go in with an open mind it's very good.

I mean it's not unwatchable and going back to a more conventional for gundam type of plot isn't bad on its own, but it decides to tie up more loose ends than it needs to on top of adding more, and they're all dealt with in pretty unsatisfying ways. Characters also just make bizarre decisions for no good reason.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I love treize because everything he says and does is absolutely bonkers but if you pay enough attention there is a clear logical underpinning to him. Dude has an internally consistent and ostensibly logical philosophy, it's just some insane alien poo poo

Not meant as a commentary on the ongoing conversation about villain philosophies. I am currently watching through wing with a friend who has never seen it and I just love treize

Treize is a true hero who values peace and understanding.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Treize Khushrenada, age 24, shortly after effectively conquering the world: "Well, I guess there's no future for me. Time to find someone to kill me and give them the tools to do it."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If we didn't have Wufei we wouldn't have Wufei getting completely owned by Treize three times, so who can say whether it was bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

OZ setting up bombs all over a town to try to get the gundams and using a federation retreat as a pretense to invade Relena's kingdom might count, but those are pretty low body count as well. I think Libra also only blew up an uninhabited island, though that would have some environmental effects and probably generate a tsunami at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Wing woulda been a lot better if they'd thrown out the Zero system stuff and made Heero, Quatre, Zechs and Dorothy in newtypes or something.

It's cool actually that Wing didn't have newtypes. Or haros for that matter.