Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The same "buy the Japanese movie Blu-rays at big prices" approach has happened in the UK with Gundam and Love Live movies, and those have always had reasonably priced domestic releases down the line, so I'd expect people who aren't big enough G-Reco fans to pay £500 for it will have their chance here and in the US after all the movies are out. That's how it worked for The Origin if I'm remembering right.

Unicorn also had that kinda thing going on for awhile until it was all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is making me wanna revisit 00 sometime, haven't seen it since it originally aired and while I remember liking it well enough back then perhaps I wasn't giving it enough credit!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

What is the fan opinion on Gundam Reconguista in G? Interested in Tomino doing Tomino.

If you want Tomino doing Tomino then it rules hard and gives you all the Tomino-isms you want. It's great!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

I can't tell if you're pulling my leg. Like you're actually Beatrice posting "ohohoho yes watch that loving kids toy anime" but you didn't say in red if it's good.

I'll give it a couple episodes.

It's the best show since Turn A, easily.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I remember the discourse at the time. "Oh please, Raraiya suddenly wanders off right when they're going to meet people who knew her before? That's convenient lazy writing." was a thing people actually said. Followed up a couple episodes later with "Oh so suddenly Raraiya is totally fine now? I don't think you go from brain damaged to fine in a day like that. Poorly written show"

Heck I specifically remember how Raraiya says she's sick before she happens to avoid the meeting but then later in that episode another character mentions how she doesn't appear to have a fever or anything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Victory is trash garbage that people latch onto to make themselves seem intelligent, it's the signature move of several posters in this thread.

Seed is fine and watchable, Destiny starts off with promise but devolves into trash, 00S1 is fantastic, 00S2 has some cool moments but squanders the uniqueness of S1 horribly and is mostly bad.

Joke's on you, I latched onto Victory and I'm a big dummy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Odelo is the only good character in Victory and the only good designs are the base V1 and V2 and the Gunblasters. Every single upgrade of the V2 looks like dogshit.

Also lol the two people I expected Kramer in immediately to defend victory's honor

Be brave enough to name names if you're gonna do this!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

I'm halfway thru Turn A so no spoilers but up to this point it seems like Lauran may be an incell?

He's vocel. Topic locked.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

It is remarkable how I've never met a single person who liked AGE in all these years.

Some of it sounded kinda interesting, too.

I am fond of AGE.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

There's a very small but vocal community that hates IBO.

I kinda hate it though I'll admit a large part of that is what I wanted outta a Mari Okada-written Gundam was vastly different from what it was.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

I have been watching Gundam in chronological order with a buddy for some time now. We've gone through the original series, plus Gundam Zeta. Now we're at ZZ.

We just watched the Moon Moon episodes.

What the

Moon Moon Good Good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

If we want to name names and be specific there was a site in the early 2000's called MAHQ that had a review section and they loving hated ZZ. That opinion just trickled down into the mass of people who had never watched and really had no way to watch it, so they just kind of parroted it until everyone believed it was true.

Sadly those reviews are no longer accessible unless you want to really dig through the guts of the site.

Heck I remember trawling through usenet archives a few years back to find anime takes from the 90s and I recall seeing a lot of people who hated ZZ all the way back then too. And since that's from an era when people couldn't easily watch the show to see for themselves, well, easy to see how you'd have some folks who never saw the show repeating the common criticisms.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I checked several times today and it sure was not there.

If it's anything like the release dates for other movies they've put on the site this month it'll happen real late in the evening.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

I've heard people call Gundam the Japanese Star Trek, but this is a bit ridiculous.

That would be ridiculous because Japanese Star Trek is obviously Yamato.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MechaX posted:

If that prior roadmap is accurate, we might legit get Seed Freedom with Kira likely just owning everyone with his Super Strike Freedom while spouting weird platitudes, and then get that new Unicorn movie or whatever they announced and with Banagher Even So-ing all over Neo Neo Zeon

Good, I can't wait.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Fridging originally referred to the trend from American comics of having superheroes' girlfriends get horribly murdered just to motivate the hero. With the term coming from the time Green Lantern came home to find his girlfriend in the fridge. These were characters who existed for no reason beyond to be sexy and then get murdered. That was what the term was describing and criticizing. It has to mean more than just "women dying to motivate the protagonist" because if that's all it means the it's an extremely stupid way to criticize media. It's fiction, most things that happen to motivate the protagonist. Flay was one of the best realized characters in the whole show, she had her own arc, and her death was a conclusion to her own arc. If that's fridging, then who gives a poo poo about fridging?

Nicol, aside from his gender, is much closer to the textbook definition of fridging. He only existed to be gentle and then die horribly to motivate Kira and Athrun.

imo an especially important detail about that specific comic is that the girlfriend only existed for like, 2-3 issues. She never got to be her own character, she's just Green Lantern's girlfriend, she was immediately killed in a violent way and there's nothing you can say about her except her death. If instead of dying she broke up with him and left town never to be seen again nobody would remember her.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoy The Great Gundam Project, though admittedly I already liked Abnormal Mapping so hearing hosts I already liked talking about something else was an easy sell for me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's also a bunch of moments where cause and effect isn't directly stated, just implied at a later point. An early example I think about is how it's not immediately apparent why Aida is allowed to escape from captivity early on. Bellri gets to be a "hostage" and a few episodes later when Cumpa is sending out the Capital Army he's using the "hostage situation" as an excuse. He doesn't say that's why he allowed that escape to happen, but he says that because the army is rescuing hostages it's a defensive action which means he doesn't need to get approval for it. The viewer is left to connect the dots there.

It's something I like a lot about the show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The G-Reco movies made just as much sense as the show to me. Way I see it, if people are saying the movies made it make more sense then the show then that's just a natural effect of experiencing the story a second time around.

Particularly since specific details about what was confusing in the show and clear in the movies typically aren't provided.

Srice fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 6, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I told you guys the movie was gonna be good.

I was never in doubt.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Gundam Seed Freedom is extremely good.

It really feels like they had a broad outline for a third season of Gundam Seed that they decided to do as a movie. But instead of becoming a confusing mess like F91, it works out very well by just forcing the movie to move at a very brisk pace.

It's hit a kind of sweet spot with the characters, where enough time has passed since the originals that they're willing to poke fun at their foibles while still respecting them and their journeys. And the new characters get time to shine and be memorable too, like Agnes Giebenrath, The Woman Who Causes Problems.

And the whole third act is just a fantastic spectacle. Every single character gets at least one cool moment, you've got Lacus doing loving Buster Machine poo poo, Mu La Flaga getting too drat old for this making the impossible possible poo poo, Super Z'Gok just absolutely wrecking a spaceport, Athrun doing the Overman King Gainer trick for fooling psychics, it's just so much and it's all very fun

And I gotta give a big preemptive congratulations to the winner of 2025's best Gundam character twitter tournament, Unnamed Dark-Skinned Compass Soldier! He gets 7 seconds of screentime and utterly dominates them.

Agreed. Don't have much to add to this but it's a good post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Between WfM, SF, and Hathaway, Gundam has really been going great recently. The franchise has its ups and downs but this is definitely a high point.

Not to mention the G-reco movies wrapped up only a few years back!