Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm assuming that it will be extremely loosely based around MSG. The MSG story is too big for them to tell it in one movie, and I doubt that Legendary is dumb enough to just assume the first movie will be successful enough to guarantee a trilogy.

So they'll do one Gundam movie, there will be a protagonist named Amuro and an antagonist named Char, there will be a space war fought with Mobile Suits, a Gundam that is recognizably the Gundam but also noticeably different to fit the look of the live-action movie, a Zaku that is recognizably a Zaku but also noticeably different to fit the look of the live-action movie, and probably a big spaceship called White Base. But otherwise the goal will be to create a single good Gundam movie with the franchise potential. Not to do a live-action adaptation of the original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dwayne Johnson can not play a villain. Haven't you people seen Doom?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The G-Lucifer can do the Moonlight Butterfly, so that would put G-Reco after Turn A.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth Walrus posted:

Why? The Turn A Gundam has been around for a very, very long time and has reset the solar system multiple times.

I don't think that's true? My understanding is that the Turn X drifted into the Solar System from aliens and humans reverse engineered it's systems to create the Turn A. And shortly thereafter there was the war that destroyed civilization, leading to the events of Turn A Gundam

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No it wasn't, it was built specifically to kill Warcrimes. Big self-repairing mobile ones.

yeah the Flauros predates Dansleifs being made illegal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The SD Gjallarhorn MS combine into a giant monstrous Graze Ein

https://twitter.com/yatate_hajime/status/1109062167427514373

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Allied Force from Build Fighters is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd46nIoKJq8

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The end of G Gundam had every country deploying every Mobile Suit they had, and also some MS from other timelines.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gundam made Hello Kitty cry :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQ6ARKX7FQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

hot take: the live action Gundam movie will probably be pretty good

it's being written by a loving amazing comics writer, and Legendary has made giant robot movies already that were fine (in addition to the loving amazing kaiju poo poo they've been doing). chances are we'll either get a decent live-action remake of the 0079 trilogy or some completely new AU that still feels Close Enough.

If Bandai actually manages to get the 1/1 scale Gundam to walk next year at an Olympics-related event like they've claimed they will, that's going to be the greatest movie commercial of all time. Millions of people around the world will be introduced to Gundam by seeing a full scale Gundam walking around

I do agree that the movie has a decent chance of being good. It's not 2002 anymore, we aren't getting Dragon Ball Evolution again. But I still really think it's not going to be a remake or a completely new AU. It's going to be close enough to the original that it still uses those images and names, but they aren't going to be bound by existing canon and will make a bunch of changes.

Here's a prediction I feel pretty confident in; If Fraw Bow is in it, she will be basically a completely different character

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

I kind of doubt it, simply because her existing character is basically just "childhood friend" and that's necessary to ground Amuro in civilian life, so they can't not make her the girl next door to start with. She could go through lots of development, but I doubt that will happen either, simply because she's just not that prominent a character and if any female character is likely to get focus and development it's far more likely to be Sayla. She's more central to the story as Char's sister, as well as to the action as a pilot. I imagine the film will go The Origin route by giving her a GM and a large role in the resolution of A Bao A Qu, by convincing the Zeon remnants to stand down. Well, presuming it goes that route, though I doubt it'll get to there until a third film. Still, even in the first some ground work could be laid as Char's sister and a pilot.

I mean in terms of personality. Fraw Bow, the long-suffering girl who says Amuro a lot and brings him sandwiches and is immediately put in charge of the laundry and looking after the orphans on White Base, will not be in the movie. There might still be a character named Fraw Bow, and/or a character who fills her same role in the narrative. But the Fraw Bow from Mobile Suit Gundam will not be in the live action Gundam movie. I am 100% certain of that.

Midjack posted:

“Make Fraw Bow and Sayla the same character, she was secretly his neighbor all along” is how I expect that to go.

I think that's too dumb of a coincidence. What they could do that would work better is combining Fraw and Kai into one character. Amuro's childhood frenemy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Snake Maze posted:

Sure, the fiction part comes from the fact that making those weapon platforms human shaped is really effective and not just a liability. Even if we invented minovsky drives that were capable of powering gundams that work just like in the show, it would be more effective to just build super fighters/tanks/whatever. The limbs offer basically nothing and come with a ton of downsides and engineering compromises.

The explanation of the limbs is that they allow a MS to make small maneuvering changes without expending fuel in a way that would be instinctive to a pilot who grew up in space

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't remember where it was, but at one point in some Gundam series a rookie pilot tries to pick up a rifle and is fumbling it and someone yells "let the computer do it!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ka0 posted:

You can make build divers try an incredible series by simply deleting Riku from it. The easiest fix imaginable. All of the adult characters that were brushed thin could be further developed. They could have the final episode be meeting Rommel in person and it turned out to be meijin Kawaguchi all along

It still blows my mind that they didn't have a single character revealed to be humorously different from their online avatar.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's ways to visually connect the two characters if your worried that the audience will be confused. Just with colors or details it's pretty easy to establish a link between the avatar and the person. Or make the online version a representation of some aspect of the real person. Like, a small unassuming person who looks meek but is actually really angry and aggressive on the inside could play as a giant demon monster.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/watchsymphogear/status/1116497998446383104

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I wonder what Kou's particular psychosys is?

Kou was homeschooled

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The GP-03 works in conjunction with other stuff. It can't literally take out a fleet by itself, but it can be massively disruptive and attention getting by itself. It runs in, shoots off all the missiles, cuts a ship in half with a giant beam saber, takes a bunch of fire on it's I-shield, meanwhile other MS are engaging the fleet and loving them up because they're concentrating all their fire on the GP-03

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/7yuki_amano/status/1116980507588251648

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Full Armor Unicorn was just the Unicorn with every spare gun they had on the Nahel Argama bolted on. That makes sense, but where did the giant beam spear come from? Was it an optional Jesta weapon that none of the Jesta pilots in the show ever use?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was really hoping there was an MSV halberdier Jesta :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/otemoto16/status/1119523640729456641

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Seed absolutely has a ton of side stories. It's just that most of them are Astray. Which does give you another faction right there, the Junk Guild.

An obvious thing for a Gihren's Greed style game would be that if Natarle Badriguel survives past the end of Seed, she goes on to lead an anti-Blue Cosmos faction of the Earth Alliance

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zeon as a whole becomes more sympathetic after the original series, with later stuff like the Titans and backfill about the Federation being mean to the colonies. Like Luicypher says, the very first thing in MSG is the opening about how Zeon launched a war that wiped out half of humanity, including the colony drop being supervised by Zakus. After that we get into the main story, which starts us off with the horror of a Zeon attack on a largely civilian colony. And there are frequent reminders later, like that episode about the woman confused to find a lake where her hometown should be. And, y'know, the persistent presence of the children orphaned by Zeon.

Individual Zeon soliders were sympathetic, which makes sense considering that a lot of the kids watching the show had grandparents who were real life Zeon soldiers. But they're victims of the war Zeon started too. Zeon as a political force is just straight up evil in Mobile Suit Gundam.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

You mean like showing that Zeon soldiers are at least occasionally just decent people who are probably being forced in to service and not entirely happy with their leadership? Or that even the leadership isn't entirely happy with their direction, with Degwin actively plotting behind his sons back to end the war on a more peaceful note? Or that the Federation is pretty callous in their own leadership, so it wouldn't be improbable that the Federation were partly responsible for the death toll?

Think about the visual storytelling of the opening narration. The colony is peaceful until it is blown up by Zeon ships. Zeon is very clearly the malevolent aggressor. We are shown Zeon destroying a colony, establishing that Zeon destroys colonies. The colony drops amidst Zeon ships and Zeon MS, like it's a Zeon operation. The colony drops on Earth, and we were just told that Zeon is the cluster of colonies furthest from the earth. Zeon dropped a colony on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wh0DrRqh-o

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really like how Thunderbolt handles Zeon Remnants. They aren't still fighting for Zeon because they believe in the great Zeon ideals. They're still fighting because the One Year War took everything from them and they have no other option. They have no home to go back to and the world is so wrecked there's no opportunities for them. Their options are keep fighting for Zeon, maybe do some crimes, maybe join a cult, or just go live in a refugee camp.

Which also sets up the rise of the Titans a lot better, imo, than conspiracies and megalomaniacal madmen. The Federation troops want to move on, rebuild, anything, but they can't because the Zeon remnants won't stop fighting.

I really hope it gets a third season

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

Or... they could go home.

It's a thing in Johnny Ridden, an offhanded mention that Zeon remnants who didn't cause too much trouble get sent back to the Republic, where their crimes tend to get swept under the rug.

Of course, it also shows a pretty big culture divide between Zeon army remnants, who spend their time waiting for someone to start the next war, and Zeon Navy remnants, who spend their time shopping for delicious soups using the money the Federation Navy pays them to look scary at budget meetings.

A lot of colonies were destroyed, so the people from those colonies can't go home because their home looks like the Thunderbolt sector.. But even setting that aside, half of Zeon is dead. Not half the army, half the population. It's fair to say that a lot of soldiers don't have anything to go back to. And as I said, I like how Thunderbolt does the Zeon Remnants, so how Johnny Ridden does them is immaterial.

Zedd posted:

IMO the 00 movie worked. If you cut out the fight scenes it's p much a movie of 2 species being unable to communicate and literally needing humans to evolve more so learn how to empathize with things so different from them. And even this hyper evolved special human was still P much falling back on violence to get where he needed to be.

Also this frontrunner evolved human is a middle eastern child soldier that managed to overcome his trauma and hate. So thats p nice considering <currentyear>.

The 00 movie works if you cut out everything but the Maximum Overdrive scene.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Merilan posted:

In a way it's better than the inverse in like Aura Battler Dunbine where the titular mecha gets less and less relevant after the protagonist gets their midseason upgrade

The best is when the main character gets a new robot but the titular robot stays just as important. Yet another reason that Xabungle is the best Gundam

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That means more cool Leo variants!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Zerachiel's manual mentions that how long it takes for an MS to transform in GBN is based off the show the MS is from. Players can make the transformation longer if they want it to be flashier, but the only way to make it shorter is to hack the game with a Break Decal, which lets you skip the transformation sequence entirely and transform instantly.

If the problem with the Mass Divers had been stuff like that, I would've found the conflict in Build Divers a lot more compelling.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ross the boss posted:

well i've obtained and watched 0080 and most of 0083 in the past day. loved 0080, nice little sad story. 0083 is fun, a good little action-adventure series, love the animation.

i've got OG MSG coming up next, just gonna power through the whole series. should i watch zeta or zz gundam and char's counterattack?

i've also got turn a ready to go as everyone apparently loves that here

Zeta is really good, you should definitely watch it. ZZ is good but divisive, some people really hate it because it's an immediate direct sequel to Zeta that does a huge tonal shift over to light-hearted antics. Char's Counterattack is good, you should watch it before watching Unicorn or Narrative if you plan on watching either of those.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/240eukrante/status/1141217592352235521

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh I know. If I want a story about mass produced power armor mecha I either have to stick with Votoms, deal with lame shows, or write the story myself. It's hard to avoid how mecha shows skew towards younger audiences and therefore come with certain inherent conventions that I don't always appreciate.

There's Dougram, where the titular robots gimmick is that it requires less maintenance than regular robots. Or Xabungle, where the Xabungle is a pretty big technological step up but nobody really treats it like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

And Blue Gender! I don't think Blue Gender even has any special robots, they're all just the standard mass produced ones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xabungle is low-key Tomino's best show

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kingtheninja posted:

Gundam 40th this year, any new shows announced? I haven't been keeping track.

The Origin TV cut, Hathaway's Flash movie, Unicorn 2, SD Gundam World Sangoku Soketsuden

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unicorn 2 meaning Narrative or a full sequel series?

Full sequel series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well that doesn't sound particularly exciting. At this point I wish they'd just bite the bullet and do a full reboot of F91 or go straight to Crossbone instead of repeating EVEN SO for another seven hours.

They've said it's going to be a Western style TV drama. So it's going to be different in some way

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SD Gundam World Sangoku Soketsuden starts next month btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They're doing motion comic things showing the events of the upcoming Sangoku Soketsuden from different perspectives. They're up on Gundam info https://na.gundam.info/about-gundam/series-pages/sdw-soketsuden/comic.html

One of them has a way too badass poster for a cheap sidestory motion comic for a SD series