Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

did anyone notice that part where kylo ren gets loving nailed in the liver with a bowcaster and is in the process of bleeding out during the entire fight

because i think that might make it hard to fight

Which is pretty crazy since half the time whenever a stormtrooper got pegged by it they went cartwheeling. Kylo really seemed to amp himself up from the pain of that bowcaster shot during that climax. I like how he kept punching the spot where Chewie nailed him like it was hulking him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"I know"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

How the hell does he pull out of hyperspace between the inside of the force field and before he hits the ground/mountain?

If he told you, you wouldn't like it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Doesn't that riot control Stormtrooper with the baton get smoked by Han Solo? We'd be lamenting the loss of Phasma so early in the new trilogy if she had been the one to face off with Finn instead of that angry grunt.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

McDowell posted:

IP is a lie and Star Wars belongs to everyone - the only canon that matters is your own

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Screen Junkies has their spoiler-filled review up for anybody who's interested or cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQRp_1PjbU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

It is odd that a Stormtrooper indoctrinated against the Rebellion would refer to Han Solo as " the war hero".

Isn't Han Solo himself an Imperial defector? He left the Empire when he rescued Chewie from slavery.

Unless that's been put on the Legacy shelf.

Ozkar posted:

Would have been a fabulous vid review if Max Landis wasn't whining like a bitch every 3 minutes. Listening to him explain that Force Awakens had too many of the old/original spaceships was like nails on a chalkboard considering he is the guy that managed to rip-off the plot for all the Jason Bourne movies and present an even smellier poopoo platter ala American Ultra.

I dunno, he seemed to love TFA. He rattled off like 15 things he liked about it when asked to name one thing he liked.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Haha this reminds me of some reddit leak that tried to say that Rey tells Luke that she's his father.

Which just weeks later I see some idiot on my Facebook feed telling some other idiot that this was a major leak and was totally legit. He was actually convinced that they would reveal it in a scene where Luke tells Rey, "I'm not your father" and she looks at him and says, "No Luke, I AM YOUR FATHER".

I thought he was trolling but upon further discussion with him he completely and fully believed it.

Star Wars fans, ladies and gentlegoons.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Speaking of Episode IV, this hasn't gotten nearly enough love:

https://vimeo.com/174847477

that's amazing. :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I liked how Chirrut Îmwe mentions that the Force darkens around those with intent to kill and then later when we see Vader go whole hog he literally causes the entire ships hallway to black out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mezzanine posted:

- Aside from the CGI cast, Red Leader and Gold Leader were extremely convincing. Those WERE just look-alikes, right?

It was apparently some combination of actual footage of them and voice lines from ANH mixed with Industrial Light and Magic.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It would've been neat to see some application of it, but not the climax.

We get it though, you didn't like the movie.

Codependent Poster posted:

They point out that when he says that chant he's praying.

So he says that chant on the way to the lever because he's praying. This doesn't take a loving genius to figure out if you watch the movie and understand that people pray in dire situations.

I can't believe you actually had to explain this to someone but then again, this is a Star War thread.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, maybe next movie they can focus more time on each grunt and really flesh them out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It really sucks that we won't get a Luke and Leia reunion scene. They were probably building up to that for 9.

I'm really hoping Disney had enough forsight and filmed something with the two of them together for this or the next episode. I'll take anything.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which do they ever actually say "Grand Moff" anywhere in any Star Wars movies, or maybe in Clone Wars or whatever? In both Rogue One and in A New Hope they only call him Governor Tarkin on screen, and after the senate is dissolved they say the regional governors will maintain control themselves. I always liked how Grand Moff caught on in the public eye even though it was only on like promotional stuff and toys and things instead of the movie.

Nope, they don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXLDvx_tHQ

Unrelated video topic, but ya, you'll notice Cushing himself mentions his rank when speaking about the character. He even dwells a bit on the silliness of it.

So while it was never explicitly mentioned in ANH it was probably in the script and I think the novelization. The Grand Moff rank just ended up being one of the many multitude of things that were never named or talked about on screen during the OT but everyone end up knowing anyway like "Ewok" and "AT-AT Walker" or "Sheev"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

beerinator posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Star Wars VIII spoil-o-rama thread. Tarkin might look horrible or he might not look horrible, we can't decide.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ShineDog posted:

It seems hosed kind of beyond star wars. It's kind of super cool and gross but it's like.... warhammer or dune. Something grimmer and more perverse.

Ya, the Decraniated are basically 70s style Mechanicum Servitors.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

Just got back from it as well. It's like the best movie I've seen since Fury Road. I'm not even a big Star Wars fan it was just an amazing movie.
Regarding Tarkin, no matter how he looked he was one of the best parts of the movie there's just no way they could have omitted him. When he was like "Rebels on Scarif?.... ready the warp drive." I was like ohhhhhh my gooood that cape guy is gonna get hosed. :kimchi:

One thing I really liked is stuff like how they brought back the guy on top of the watchtower at the rebel base as the ship is taking off, and the two guys in the death star laser tunnel that just stand there while its firing. Those were cute touches. I really loved that they embraced the retro-space style instead of glossing over it like yeah its technically the past in star wars but this is 2016 so were just going to gloss that over and make everything modern. Something that really benefited from the simple retro design were the medals on the empire officers uniforms. You could immediately see how far Krennic had come and see the difference between him and Tarkin from those huge plastic colored pieces of flair and it helped encapsulate their characters as being completely obsessed with rank without even saying anything. Stuff like that is exactly why I think this was a great movie alongside Fury Road, its the world building and the small things you notice that make it special.

This guy loving gets it.

I may not agree that it's as dope as Fury Road but that Rogue One was a world building victory for the franchise is something I can get behind.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But Dodonna makes eye contact with Luke at the end of the briefing. They gaze at each other and there's a deep, unspoken connection between General Dodonna and Luke Skywalker. It's almost... palpable.

Just kidding, lol if you actually think Dodonna gives a poo poo about the moisture farmer from a dirt ball planet when the laser moon is minutes away from blowing them all to hell.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 2, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Honestly I wish Star Wars stopped with a New Hope and no more Star Wars was ever made after that.

So a cultural, commercial and box office failure.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Their cameo was during the scramble. We can only assume Captain Antilles shooed them into the Tantive soon after 3P0 bitches about being out of the loop on everything.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

While it would have been cool to see more Forest Whitaker, it literally takes everyone running full tilt to reach the U-Wing after the single reactor blast from the Death Star on NiJedha causes the rock tsunami. Everyone escapes by the skin of their teeth.

Saw doesn't go more than 3-5 minutes without having to use his breathing apparatus and that's just from standing around, also he can't even walk well on his own two cyber legs without his staff. He's not going to burden Jyn or the rest of his men by having them carry his broken rear end out. Like he said when he first thought Jyn might have been sent to kill him, there isn't much of him left.

He's the captain of his ship so him and Bor Gullet went down with it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Krennic is set as the main bad guy from the start. He orders the death of Jyn's mom, he requests the destruction of the entire moon of Jedha but is only allowed to destroy a city, relishes in the beauty of said destruction, kills all the major engineers and scientists behind the Death Star laser...

I could go on but it really should be obvious at that point in the movie that he's the main antagonist regardless of the appearances of his ranking superiors Tarkin and Vader.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Remember when saw said it would destroy his mind but all it took was someone saying hey are you the pilot

The effects weren't permanent. Bodhi might have sat there not remembering who he was right until Saws hideout gets wiped out if not for Chirrut sensing him in the next cell and without Baze recognising him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Somebody post a cool spoiler for some Star Wars for gently caress's sake.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Return of the Jedi seems completely redundant since the Jedi didn't loving return.

Expect to read this exact comment or variations of on every Facebook thread, YouTube video and article about this movie until release.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

21 Muns posted:

[Note: Leia died on the way back to her home planet.]

Actually, her home planet died on her way back to it!
:goonsay:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Guys, Episode 9 will end by the force being balanced by grey force users. My uncle works at Lucasfilm and told me and because Pablo Hidalgo literally cannot shut up or stop leaving hardcore breadcrumbs in everything he's involved with.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Spoilers for the ultimate fate of one J. J. Binks, as revealed in the final Aftermath book, Empire's End:

In the post-RotJ era, ol' Jar Jar's a street clown entertaining orphaned children on Naboo. He's described as a pariah among adults of even his own species and at that, one who feels remorse for essentially kick-starting that whole 'Empire' thing back in Clones.

[insert poetry quip here]

bonus spoiler:
oh and Rax ain't no Snoke

That's actually kind of sad. Poor guy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Electromax posted:

I wonder how sick JW is of sitting down to write new Star Wars songs at this point.

Didn't the dude just win his 5th Grammy from Star Wars thanks to his TFA score, making that his 23rd in total? Ya I'm sure he's real sick of this poo poo.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Did all the lascivious jogan fruit cause little angel Benjamin Solo to turn to the Darkside?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

At the very least sum up the stupid garbage so nobody actually has to watch it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I only listen to rumors if they come from SuperShadow.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Too many bad Star Wars threads on SA to keep track of.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

"Star Wars IX: Jedi Origins", Star Wars XI: Sith Apocalypse", "Star Wars X: Jedi on the Loose".

Sorry, but these are actually terrible titles and The Last Jedi is better than all of them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lol @ Mace Windy and Beibers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Alll I want is a Hayden Christensen force ghost or flash back in one of the new episodes and the circle will be complete.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

If they did it right I think it would be pretty cool and maybe redeem him a tad in the eyes of neckbeards (lmao no)

Right? I'm hoping he's going to be in either episode 8 or 9 and that's why he's going to be at Star Wars Celebration and I have no problem admitting that I think that would be cool.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lucas could have planned 24 Episodes for all anyone knows but that doesn't mean he had any clue what he was going to have happen in all of them.

He basically came up with Episode 1 on the spot in like a week or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

People assume Obi-Wan thought Vader's first name was Darth? I thought he was just calling him by his title?

• Locked thread