Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I'm going to go with:

Ren and Rey are Han and Leia's kids sent for Jedi training very young, bad guy took Ren and brainwashed him and everyone assumed Rey was killed with the rest, when she was in fact spirited away. Han and Leia assumed both children are dead, and it broke their hearts and their relationship. Luke went into hiding after the training got shot down, because the galaxy was clearly not ready for Jedi. Rey grows up knowing she has Jedi in her history -- maybe she has bad memories of that time, or how it ended -- and so rejects it when it comes back to haunt her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ren actually is out to finish what Greedo started.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Does this movie really have a snake man named Snoke

And a woman who shoots plasma named Phasma

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Corek posted:

Greedo, who was greedy

And a guy named Luke that we were supposed to like.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Robutt posted:

Also I'm not sure about Finn being force-sensitive. Having a crisis of conscience as a Stormtrooper and running about with Poe, Rey and Han doesn't require him to be force-sensitive. Doesn't it make more sense that he isn't force-sensitive given that he is outmatched by Kylo in their duel in the forest and it is the force user Rey who comes in to save Finn.

Luke was Force-sensitive and had actual Jedi training when he faced Vader the first time, and was wayyyy out of his depth. Unless they hook Finn up to a Force-o-meter and it turns up a big zero on camera, I think it's possible.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That is actually a fair point, though, why would he be signed on for more if his character dies in this one?

He would be signed on to keep the plot under the Cone of Silence. For the amount they'll make on this film, they can afford to keep a 73-year-old man on the payroll to keep a secret.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

No one is dressed for the weather in this picture

Haven't they learned by now that multiple outfits mean multiple toys to sell?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

the emperor in star wars was named after the politician travis bickle aims to assassinate in taxi driver and is also a reference to the central hill in rome. it also woulda been fine to just leave him as "the emperor".

Ah yes, the seven hills of Rome. The Aventine, the Caelian, the Capitoline, the Esquiline, the Viminal, the Quirinal, and the Sheev.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Unlike R2, BB-8 could conceivably go down a flight of stairs without rockets, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So for those who have seen it, how were the performances, especially by characters we'll see a lot of?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

chippocrates posted:

I don't know how much flashbacks work for Star Wars. I can't think of any in the OT or PT. Unless it's a force vision like Rey had in VII

Leia's "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi" recording is, I think, the only not-Force-vision thing that happens in not-real-time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If that spoiler does happen in the next one, it is what should have happened in TFA.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

But seriously, "Leia gives stirring speech to Resistance, meets Han Solo backstage (Rey in tow) for the awkward info dump, gets put into a coma right after" would have been better than what she got in TFA

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

They are building them shut people up, but 99% of all the backgrounds are goign to CGI.

Sounds as though it's working, if people are commenting on how pleased they are that there are practical sets.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I do* so look forward to the next generation of effects fundamentalists howling and flinging their poop at the CGI in Fury Road and other current darlings in the defense against the great CGI Satan.

*don't

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Given the amount of fan service in TFA and the need to establish his credibility as a teacher to others, I will be shocked if we don't get Luke Skywalker being a badass using modern action filming techniques at least one time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sinking belle posted:

It came out a little while back that the rumour about the opening shot of VII featuring Luke's severed hand and first lightsaber hurtling through space was true and it was only abandoned because it leaked out. We'll probably get plenty more set photos and other little details, stuff like the title or the major story beats definitely won't leak.

Everyone can say this about every dumb leak, though. "Well, it was true until it was leaked, then they took it out!!!! Its absence is proof it was true!"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

Why did they go through the trouble of giving pilots cameos and neglect JEK loving PORKINS?

The film wasn't made by top men.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

However, I can't for the life of me understand why Disney decided to abandon Lucas' movie title naming convention and replace it with the boring boilerplate titles that we're getting in the new movies. I'm just floored that no one at any time during production pointed out that "The [insert whatever] Awakens" and "The Last [whatever]" is bog-standard movie naming.

George Lucas made the Star Wars movies that George Lucas wanted to make. Disney bought the franchise to make the Star Wars movies that the Star Wars fans want Disney to make.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ugh we really don't need to rehash old locations.

Why not? The new Episodes are rehashing everything else.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The line is taken out of context, which is probably just

LUKE: Maybe it's time for the Jedi to end.
REY: No! You can't! Kylo Ren killed Han Solo!
LUKE: Oh, that's not good. Ok, it's not time for the Jedi to end.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Luke's options were:

A) Hunt down and kill his nephew

B) Go off alone somewhere to contemplate option A

He also could have tried talking to him

You know, like he successfully did with Darth Vader

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

maybe he killed Luke's wife and dumped their baby on a desert planet somewhere, huh

maybe talking to him is an option regardless of what he did

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

His movies where he has total control suck so bad and why "Idea man" isnt a real job anyone will pay you to be

I thought ESB was actually pretty good . . .

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

roffels posted:

He didn't direct that one.

basic hitler posted:

Lucas didn't have full control over ESB and he didn't direct, and it's the best movie in the series precisely because he had to listen to anyone else while making the movie.

Do you know what directors do? Do you understand why the "director's cut" is released after the movie has been in the theater?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

roffels posted:

Yes. What are you trying to communicate by asking these questions?

banned from Starbucks posted:

90% of "directors cuts" are "lets reinsert a buncha poo poo scenes that were rightfully cut in the first place and get morons to buy this movie a second time."

Directors usually do not have the final cut. That Lucas was not directing is nearly irrelevant; the director gives direction to the actors as to how to interpret the scene. In this case, the not-Lucas director (Kershner) was giving directions to the actors on how to interpret scenes from the story that Lucas wrote, for final approval by Lucas. Lucas is the alpha and the omega of all Star Wars except ANH. He had total control over what appeared in theaters, because he financed it. If he didn't like what somebody did, he could refuse to include it in his movies. There was nobody -- literally nobody -- that he "had to listen to" for ESB.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

empty baggie posted:

Lucas wrote the story of ESB but didn't write the screenplay, and was an executive producer and not the director. The whole reason ESB was so good is because Lucas didn't direct. The whole reason why the prequels sucked is because Lucas directed. They had the cast of a lifetime, but his direction ruined it all. Even if the writing was crap, a decent director with that cast could have turned it around. The stories he wrote were good, but his direction was garbage.

E: even if he had complete control in the end, he's not such an idiot that he couldn't see good direction. His problem is that he couldn't see that he was always a lovely director to begin with.

Lucas had total control over the movie. Total control is not synonymous with "doing everything himself." He wrote the story, directed the art, oversaw the storyboards, oversaw the set design, oversaw the creature creation and modeling, and could cut from the film literally anything he didn't think was good enough (and did!). This is the critical chasm in the George Lucas Killed My Childhood brain damage you have: he had final cut and oversaw everything along the way. There is no plausible explanation for the final cut being good in your fantasy of director primacy. A bad director with bad taste who is also a bad editor with final cut will produce utter garbage movies, because he or she doesn't have to listen to anybody and doesn't know good from bad. You are really overestimating the impact of the director in the Hollywood system. It is an important job, yes, but really about on par with the editor and the lead actor in terms of how enjoyable the movie is going to be, and that's before studio meddling in the final cut (sound work and soundtrack are also tied for a close second, but they are still in second because you can make great movies with no sound). Great lead actors can overcome crap directors (The Sixth Sense, The Rock), especially with a great story and script. The Empire Strikes Back set in modern-day Edmonton on a $10k budget is going to be mediocre at best, even with top actors working for free: the visual storytelling and effects (all Lucas!) carry the load in ESB more than any movie in the OT.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Perestroika posted:

That seems to disregard the possibility that there are many factors that can make for a good scene that are not directly related to Lucas' "vision". Lucas says "do it like X", the director delivers something that includes X, but everything aside from and around that X is still better than what Lucas himself might be able to direct personally.

Say I hire an artist to draw me a beautiful sunset. I give him very specific instructions, like there needs to be a forest here, a lake there, a mountain over there, and so on. While he does that, I also sit down and draw the same scene by myself. In the end you will have one result that may be a bit oddly composited but is still a nice piece of artwork, and one that looks like a toddler's scrawlings because I can't draw a drat thing to save my life. Both still conform to the same general shape and vision, but one's definitely better.

Yes, and then do that a thousand times or so. You have a thousand good sunsets by an artist and a thousand poo poo ones by you. Then give the results to a judge to pick the best 500 for a gallery showing. If you have a good judge, it will probably be mostly good sunsets; if the judge is blind, they will be terrible. In your analogy, George Lucas is the person hiring the artist (control), asking them to come up with some concepts each of the compositional elements (control), choosing the ones he likes (control); the artist draws more than he needs, and he selects the ones he wants for the gallery showing (control). This does not mean that everything good in the movie came from George Lucas, but anything good in the movie would not still be there for you to see without his thinking it was good.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Hmm, yes. We saw this well when Leia told Han to go and bring their son home because she wants to believe there is still good in him.

Yeah, but at the end of Return of the Jedi you are being dumb

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

A couple of LEGO sets leaked, got some new character deets out of them

Of note:

Now, Pimp Snoke isn't actually a new leak (MSW reported on it at the top of the year), but the somewhat-normal skin tone and build is interesting.

And Snoke wears a romper. Everything old is even older again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Lumpy and Itchy.

I wish I had thought of this post.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Looks that way. What's the alternative?

"not human"

duh

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ChickenMedium posted:

Star Wars 9 will be a remake of Romancing the Stone.

... I would watch that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I wonder whether they would dare make Snoke's wealth and power come from the sale of x-wings and TIE fighters

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BarronsArtGallery posted:

psssst want me to blow your mind?

ole George wasn't that much of a genius, contrary to popular belief. There's a reason he never won a ton of awards but his buddies Steve and Marty did.

I'm about to break your mind forever....

"Lucas"

"Luke"

Mark Hamill has said as much, that he realized during ANH that his character was the George Lucas self-insert, and just had to act the way George suggested.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

A group of Porgs is a Porgy

A Porgy is Best

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

porfiria posted:

The New Order Hits in Response

The only hit I can think of right now is "Blue Monday", I dunno about hits-plural.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

You don't know anything about music HTH

So please don't comment on it.

The power to claim superior knowledge of 80s rock music is insignificant compared to the power of the Force

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Wank posted:

For some reason I imagined them being voiced by Keith David.

For some reason I hoped they'd be voiced by Larry David.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

What Disney seems to have "learned" from Episodes I-VI is that Star Wars means "creepy old man who sits on a throne, calling the shots until our heroes can take him out."

I really hope it's not Starkiller Base:Death Star::Snoke:Sheev

• Locked thread