Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Megasabin posted:

My roommate claims he saw a toy that was a spoiler for future movies. He said it was a double blades light saber staff for Rey. I think he probably just saw an obvious photoshop. Anyone see what he was flaming about?

I'm fairly certain I saw a blue double bladed saber in some random ad. I want to say it might not have been for Star Wars merchandise. I thought it was really weird before seeing the movie but now it makes sense for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Frackie Robinson posted:

When is Lumpy going to make an appearance?

This reminds me. Before the movie, the draft house showed a clip of what if Chewbacca sounded like Pee Wee Herman. They showed one scene of the holiday special with Wookies sounding like Pee Wee and it was hilarious.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Agreed, but she's thinking "Wow, I hope I don't become that old woman, still stuck here at the end of my life." Also, that she wants to go to Toshi Station to buy some power converters.

If you grow up on Jakku, Toshi Station is basically Coruscant.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Gatts posted:

I don't. gently caress a JJ Abrams and Avatar is better than this flick.

Dances With Wolves in Space is not better than this movie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I didn't even remember the main character's name from Avatar until that post.

Most people don't but we are still getting 3 sequels.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

The only scene I remember from TPM is the duel of the fates. And something something midichrolians.

What about Pod Racing?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Blistex posted:

Now that JJ is gone I'm a lot less worried that VIII is just going to be another ANH remake, (he did remake The Wrath of Khan two times in a row), but Rian Johnson (Writer Director for SW VIII) did Looper and . . .

In the next movie, Chewbacca shaves off his fur and becomes the galaxy's biggest death stick dealer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I was kind of hoping we would get Ewan Obi Wan ghost in the scene with the Yoda ghost.

I wonder what the original plan for Leia in 9 was. They gave her ridiculous force ability in this one. I wonder if they have her dead in the opening crawl.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What happened to the Knights of Ren?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Kylo also never turned against the dark side, he just betrayed Snoke.

He was still internally conflicted in this movie, an example of this is when he refuses to shoot Leia's ship.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Why did Luke project himself with the blue light saber instead of the green one?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Holdo's a leftist, not a liberal. The liberals are the ones who refused to answer the distress call because it would be uncouth and taking the low road and/or the war profiteers

The ones that refused to answer the distress calls are EVERYONE in the galaxy, not just liberals.

Fart City posted:

Honestly, the only thing that can probably ever truly "kill" Star Wars is oversaturatuon. One entry in a nine movie series is not going to be enough. The public reaction to TLJ combined with the general sense of apathy for Solo is probably going to do more to adjust any plans for a franchise than the content of TLJ itself. And honestly, I for one welcome the boldness of TLJ. I don't agree with everything done in it, but it has me curious to see the follow up. And even though it's going to be an Abrams joint, at least it ain't gonna be Colin Treverrow.

I wonder how this will change Disney's plans. I bet they were thinking they had another Marvel type situation where they could pump out 3 movies a year. I hope the followup doesn't play it more safe.

I still don't understand why the next spinoff is Solo instead of Obi-Wan or something with characters we don't know.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 26, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you suppose that was the plan? Ramping up to multiple Star Wars movies a year? I imagine there already have been (and when Solo disappoints as it's on course to do, there certainly will be) thinkpieces about how one movie annually is oversaturation.

Marvel kind of proves more than one movie annually isn't over saturation. I can't imagine Disney had any other plan than to make as much money off of as many Star Wars movies as possible. They are doing better than WB/DC is with their movie universe but they just don't have it down yet. Maybe if they had Lucas in charge of the universe like Feige is with Marvel they could nail it. I think they are clearly trying to ramp up Star Wars output with the announced Rain trilogy. Those films, 9, Solo, and unnamed spinoff have them putting out 6 more movies in a short amount of time for the franchise.

Solo disappointing shouldn't be looked to as over saturation. That movie has big problems, imagine how much worse it would do if it wasn't attached to one of the biggest franchises in film. Star Wars is a franchise where fans regularly try to tell others multiple long children's tv shows are worth watching. This excitement can be translated to film, it just has to be done right.

Making a successful film universe appears to be more difficult than most studios realized, hence only the Marvel Universe really working well. (to a lesser extent the X-Men franchise but that universe was also going to include the new Fantastic Four until it bombed and everyone pretended they didn't have the casts pushing #AUniverseUnited on all their social media accounts.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 26, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kind of crazy the last two Star Wars branded movies in a row have not had proper light saber fights.

Gatts posted:

It also balances out the Force in a way since both Snoke and he are now gone, the Masters passed on and now we have just one Sith and one Jedi left but they don’t 100% adhere to convention

Kid that grabs a broom took either Luke or Snoke's spot. If balance truly matters there should be an additional Sith to balance out Leia from before Snoke/Luke died.

Basebf555 posted:

I like the idea that the son of Anakin Skywalker turned out to be just a run of the mill Jedi, but his connection to Anakin saved him and the galaxy. The real power comes from nobodies like Rey and slave boy Anakin.

Luke is far from run of the mill. Despite people not liking Luke dying from making a "hologram" of himself, it is still easily one of the greatest displays of force powers we've seen in the series. Based on the movies only exceptional Jedi disappear when they die.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

The next one probably won't even have any lightsabers in it at all.

I could see them trying that except for the fact they sell way too many of those toys.

Rey is left with only a broken one but she also stole the Jedi books. Somebody has to fight Kylo one more time. Maybe Rey makes herself a blue Maul style saber so she can kind of use her staff's fighting style.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mean the Han Solo movie - unless they shoehorn in another Darth Vader cameo (which they probably will) it most likely won't have any lightsabers.

Didn't realize that's what you were talking about but you're right. I can't imagine Vader is in the film (if he is, hopefully Han doesn't interact with him or continuity is ruined.) Real question is how do they work C3P0 and R2 into it? Did they start making this with the intention of possibly having a Solo spinoff series or are they going to end it with them going to the cantina. If they end it that way it wouldn't be as hard to work them in.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

“The thing about Snoke is that he is extremely strong with the Force, the dark side of the Force. He’s terribly powerful, of course. But he is also a very vulnerable and wounded character,” Andy Serkis, who plays Snoke through mo-cap
11/24/17
lol
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...r-a8074266.html

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

The Death Star attack in TFA didn't accomplish *anything* except for, in Leia's words the lives of "dead heroes". In three instances across two movies all the Resistance has done is not die to a different kind of super gun, and destroying that super gun has won them zero real victories

It accomplished not letting the First Order blow up more planets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

fivegears4reverse posted:

The Galaxy Doesn't Care.

Once they have toys to act the battle out they will.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Pretty sure whenever the Knights of Ren show up, they will all use light sabers. Aren't they the students that joined Rylo after he destroyed Luke's school? I assume either they will be used for villains in later movies or get wrecked by Rey in 9.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ccs posted:

Yeah it was always odd how all of Coruscant was wiped out in the first movie and everyone is just like "oh. well then."

I guess it's similar to how Alderann was destroyed in the first Star Wars but considering how much in the prequels happened on Coruscant, it was crazy to see it destroyed so quickly.

What if I was to tell you that wasn't Coruscant?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Do we know if Snoke is actually Sith or just an evil force user?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wish the blu ray would hurry up and come out so I can watch this at home.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TerminalRaptor posted:

I just don't get how you do a trilogy without having the basics figured out. I get that you have a lot of leeway to make stuff up as you move forward and change directions as appropriate, but the only thing tying these movies together is the fact you have the same actors, theoretically playing the same characters (and some people even question that).

Agreed. The more that comes out about the Last Jedi, the more obvious it is that they didn't even write an outline for this trilogy and seem to be winging it from film to film.

Here are just a few things that have come out to illustrate this.
Why weren't the Knights of Ren in 8? Because Rian didn't trust himself not to kill them
Who are Rey's parents? Rian went over every possibility before deciding they were nobody.
Luke at the end of 7's original introduction, he was supposed to be levitating with a massive amount of rocks. Rian didn't know this until Mark Hammill read the script for 8 and realized that didn't work with Luke abandoning the force.

I enjoyed 8 a lot, however this trilogy could have been much better if they had planned out at least the major plot points of all 3 before filming 7.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

I honestly agree . I have no idea what they are going to do with 9 as it seems 8 finished a lot of stories.

Things I expect to see in 9.
A funeral for Leia.
Ghost Luke and maybe a few more ghost Jedi talking to Rey.
Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren will die, likely by Rey's lightsaber.
Rey might make a new light saber that is double edged.
The film ends with Rey starting a new Jedi Order.
Poe will help in an important space battle and may sacrifice himself.
No idea what Finn will do.
Lando will get a cameo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Has anyone seen any of the 3d fan conversions of episodes 1-6?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I really don't see how they're going to redeem Kylo now that Leia isn't going to be in the movie. If they do it'll be Real Bad probably.

I don't see how Kylo can be redeemed and live. I can't imagine how much not having Leia messed up the plans for 9.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lol, Simon Pegg is claiming there was a different plan for Rey's parents before Last Jedi.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/simon-pegg-claims-j-j-abrams-had-a-different-plan-for-1824640400
They should really have written all 3 of these before filming anything or at least had major plot points set.

A Vader movie set between 3 and 4 would be cool. He could hunt down Jedi. They could get really creative/fun and make it like a horror movie with Vader as the killer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Does Lobot have free will?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

They decided not to include Wilhelm in TLJ but 3PO has to be included in Solo? Yeah okay.

This director is friends with George Lucas.

• Locked thread