Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is that opening scroll from a leak? Or just something someone put together based on plot rumors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So watching the higher quality TV spot from last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HN9soeGa8

Right before you get the shot of the back of Leia's head in some control room, you get Rey walking up to something/someone in what appears to be the same room. I'm assuming she's walking up to Leia. And it feels like it's for a big reveal (for her) of her mother.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

radlum posted:

Weren't they casting a female character that had good chemistry with Boyega for Episode VIII? I recall that the lead from Jane the Virgin and the girl from Bates Motel were mentioned. Also, for all the fuzz caused by casting Boyega, it would be pretty dumb to kill him off in the first movie, they would end up playing for the racists dicks.

I'm more worried for Oscar Isaac.

Strike everything in this post, and reverse it. They're casting a female character for her chemistry with Oscar Isaac.

...I'm like...99% positive I'm right about that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robutt posted:

Even with knowledge of the the spoilers I still don't see how anyone thinks this is a remake or a reboot. It's a sequel. A sequel with extremely similar themes and plot structure where the new young characters are almost surrogates for the old ones but still very clearly a sequel.

It's scemantics on the definition of the word. But it is a reboot of the franchise, in that we're literally "starting again."

Google gives me: "reboot (verb): restart or revive (a process or sequence, especially a series of films or television programs); give fresh impetus to." This movie is 100% that to the Star Wars movie franchise, regardless of plot.

It can be a sequel and a reboot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ukle posted:

All leaks so far indicate the spoilers were wrong on only one count - Rey isn't Lukes daughter. The main spoiler PDF thing one site did has been updated with the latest info.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQR6taehVh7MUdKLWdLRUx5eG8/view

I don't even really know where the Luke's daughter thing started up. Everyone I know has been assuming she's Han and Leia's daughter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

edit: ^^^ Yeah, that. But paralleling Luke's journey doesn't mean she has to be Luke's daughter. She can have his journey, while being Han and Leia's daughter.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i assumed kylo ren was their son.

It'd say it's likely they're twins.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

iSheep posted:

Sounds like you hate Star Wars movies.

If there's one complaint that's going to make me write off a person's opinion about a movie, it's complaining that it stars "Millennials".

Margin Luther King posted:

It's. loving. Wack.

This too. Stunning review.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

smoobles posted:

I liked it overall, but why does JJ Abrams love 9/11'ing everything with no exploration or follow-up? He did it at the end of Into Darkness, and this time he killed off billions of people (entire planets) with no acknowledgement or connection to the scope of such a tragedy.

I get that "kill millions of people violently" is a good way to tell us that the bad guys are in fact pretty bad, but it seems awkward that everyone's celebrating and jumping around at the end when whole civilizations have been eradicated.

With Alderaan we had a human connection at least through Leia...

Leia had a moment of "...no." When we next see her she's smirking and making height jokes, and never refers to Alderaan again. Hell, she comforts Luke more after he loses Obi-Wan, a man he just met, than she gets herself, having just lost her father and home planet.

There was absolutely zero exploration of the death of millions in A New Hope, and plenty of "celebrating and jumping around at the end", so I'm not getting the complaint about this one over A New Hope. If you didn't like it here, you shouldn't have liked it...in Star Wars...

Oh poo poo, I understand SMG now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Not going to lie. Everything you guys are saying is making me even more hyped to see this movie. Any complaint thus far raised sounds unimportant, intriguing, or amazing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

iSheep posted:

People were very excited for him to be in the movie for some reason.

He's one of JJ's best friends, and shows up in almost everything he does. Like as Weiss on Alias. Or the pilot in the first episode of Lost. Or random dude from MI:III who called Tom Cruise boring.

I think he's fun, but it's not a huge deal or anything.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timeless Appeal posted:

He looked dope as gently caress. His scenes were like going into a temple and talking to a statue of Zeus.

I think I read an interview with Abrams where he said they were going for looking like the Lincoln Memorial. But your observation still stands.

enraged_camel posted:

I'll post this again.

Basically there's a lot of background story covered in Star Wars: Aftermath, which I guess is still considered canon. A lot of the things in the film make more sense when you take all that into account.

Here's a list of everything that's part of the "new canon".

Aftermath is considered canon because it came out after The Great EU Purge (the buying out of Lucasfilm), and actually just came out a couple of months ago, specifically to give everyone their first real look at the post ROTJ world (...a comic or two may have come out first that takes place after ROTJ, I can't remember for sure). The book even says "Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens" across the top.

Basically, "still considered canon" is an odd way of putting it, because it was designed to BE the new canon.

Granted, doesn't make anything you said wrong. Just sayin'.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hoopaloops posted:

How badly hurt is Kylo Ren at the end of the film? We definitely saw Rey slash his cloak, poke a hole through his shoulder, and slash across his face, not to mention Chewie's bowcaster bolt in his side. Did Rey also chop off his hand? Minimally we saw his lightsabre fall away from his hand - could be a good parallel to Vader if he gets a few mechanical limbs before the next film.

I don't believe so. When he went down, my wife said she was pretty sure he just lost a hand, so I started really looking for it, and I could pretty clearly see outlines of both of his hands. You know...still attached.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Danger posted:

I like how being adopted by family is a flaw but abandoned to indentured servitude is apparently not.

Yeah, you beat me to it, but listing "adopted" under Luke's flaws was pretty hosed up. And giving the benefit of the doubt (that his being adopted in the way he was is a sign that he didn't have a perfect childhood), then ignoring Rey's situation is some serious selective amnesia.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ijyt posted:

So for some reason this post made me think, what if those are just microbes drawn to force sensitives and not what makes up the force itself.

This has been how I've seen it for a while now. Midichlorians don't grant access to the Force, they're drawn to it. So determining a person's midicholorian count can be useful for determining how strong they are in the Force (because more are drawn to stronger users), but the Jedi were wrong in the prequels (as we've seen) when they say they're how Jedi use the Force.

It's not, like, super supported by the text, so don't bother pointing out how the movies don't tell us that. Just a little bit of personnel canon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

They are canon in that the movies will never mention them or acknowledge they exist except perhaps some dorky in-joke reference. The new Jedi who appear in Rebels are not going to be recognized by TFA who made it pretty clear Luke was the last Jedi and he hosed up and got all his trainees killed.

It's important to note that Greg Grunberg is in The Force Awakens playing a character from one of the new canon books, Aftermath. So that's at least one example of a character from a non-movie, yet still canon, piece of media showing up in the movies. It's a minor example, and he was probably named in the book after he was named in the script to TFA, but it's basically an example of something being canon in the movies having been officially first mentioned in a book.

I say this because I'll be curious to watch the relationship between the movies and books/TV shows/comics moving forward, as this "everything is equally canon" thing is new.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

sinking belle posted:

I feel like lots of people don't get that there's no such thing as "EU" anymore. Every novel/comic/game/series/etc going forward is as canon as TFA is.

For better or worse, the clone wars movie/series is the only non main film series thing from before the Disney acquisition that's still canon. Although apparently the non cgi clone wars cartoon doesn't count? Help me out here. Also I don't know where this leaves the old republic. Are they still making new content for that game?

As of the Disney buyout, the 6 movies and the CGI Clone Wars cartoon were the only things canon. Non CGI Clone Wars doesn't count anymore.

And I think people, moving forward, will still use EU to describe anything not in the movies. By habit, mainly. The old EU is now considered Legends. The new EU has some books, comics, and TV shows in it.

ImpAtom posted:

And Coruscant was first named in an EU novel. That is what I meant by dorky in-jokes. That dude is not going to do anything meaningful and is no different from the secret reveal that Ice Cream Man from Bespin was secretly saving everyone's life or whatever.

Ah, yeah, fair point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

That is Starkiller, he is Darth Vader's secret apprentice and the one actually responsible for founding the Rebel Alliance, whose symbol is actually his family crest or something.

Not anymore. Three cheers for the death of the EU!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

McDowell posted:

Star Wars under Lucas was really running out of steam. I rolled my eyes when I heard you were playing as a clone of Starkiller in the sequel to be cheap with assets, but I thought they would do something cool and tie together Episode 3 with Dark Empire. Nope I read the wiki and the Emperor isn't even in the game :nsa:

To be fair to the game (though I have no reason to be), the sequel ended on a pretty major cliffhanger, and may very well have gone in that direction for the third game. But that game never happened, so oh well.

Those games are really stupid. They were occasionally fun though, like when you could use the Force to dangle a Stormtrooper out an airlock to kill him. That was fun.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I guess to emphasise how powerful Kylo really is to be able to take a shot from it and keep going?

But also explain why he's weakened in that last fight.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I need to go back and watch the OT, does Chewie ever fire it? In the Death Star escape in ANH he has a Stormtrooper blaster. Does it fire it at the probe droid in ESB?

I'm like 99% positive Han is the only one who shoots at the probe droid, but I don't have the movie in front of me to check.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Picklepuss posted:

It looks like this woman did in the EU and gave birth to a Masters of the Universe villain:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sly_Moore/Legends

They worked the Jedi Prince story back into the canon after the prequels?

...why would they do that?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

That tree does look cool. Also, I wonder if that Falcon piece is easily moveable, or if they have to rebuild it whenever they need it on a new set. Even taking it from an inside set at Pinewood to outside could prove problematic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think people are silly and obviously wrong when they say TFA is better because of all practical sets, but so are people who think this defeats any arguments about the CGI in the prequels being bad, and taking them out of the movies. It's more a testament to A) how good CGI is now, and B) the way this better CGI is being used.

Mad Max Fury Road doing an amazing job with blending CGI and sets, and using it to enhance a shot or scene, doesn't make the CGI of 1999, 2002, or 2005 suddenly better. And yes, it was earlier CGI, so it was always going to look worse, but we just live in a world now when people are using CGI in wonderful ways. TFA included in that.

"See? TFA used CGI, too!" Yup, I get that. And it looks far better. Because it's been 10 years since the last prequel, and 16 years since the first prequel. We've finally reached a point where it becomes harder to tell what is CGI and what isn't (which is why so many people were fooled into thinking it was all sets. Well, that and JJ and crew flat out saying it).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

No idea how true this is, but the title for Episode VIII may have been "leaked".

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/star-wars-episode-viii-title/

quote:

GamesRadar has claimed to have seen materials from Celebration, which includes the title. And it is… Star Wars: Fall Of The Resistance.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Timothy Zhan has announced that he is writing a new book titled Thrawn. No word on when it takes place.

I can't look it up at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Zahn said it's going to lead up to his appearance in Rebels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calaveron posted:

I hope Thrawn is just a regular-rear end human or extreme alien a la Dexter Jettster or the werewolf cantina alien because regular human but the color of not regular human is too lame/Star Trek-like.

He's in the trailer for Rebels season 3, and on the released book cover, and sorry, he's a blue dude.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain Splendid posted:

Jesus, they've been cranking out that same Y-wing for 20 years now...

The Rebels had clearly always been using old, highly modified ships. Basically anything they could get their hands on. Return of the Jedi was the first time they started having ships that didn't look like busted antiques with the A-Wing and B-Wing, but they still had their relics.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain Splendid posted:

I meant the mold for the toy...

Ohhh. Yeah that's of course what you meant. My bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BigglesSWE posted:

I don't like Kevin Smith but he sure likes Rogue One, apparently.

http://heroichollywood.com/kevin-smith-rogue-one-wonderful-great/

His words on Vader sounds very promising. Vader a la "Alien" sounds more and more likely.

I actually usually like Kevin Smith (though his recent "horror" movies are garbage), but do not trust this man's opinion of Star Wars movies. After each prequel, he published overwhelming positive reviews. For episodes II and III, they even had the whole, "THIS is the prequel we've been waiting for" vibe, as if he hadn't praised the other prequels when they came out.

He's an excited man baby who is often very funny. But he is no movie critic.

That being said, it doesn't mean he's wrong, based on what everyone else is saying about this movie. Can't wait.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fuzz posted:

Wow, so #DumpStarWars sure is something. :stare:

Is it though? Like the stories about people wanting to boycott TFA, mostly on Twitter I'm seeing that hashtag used by people making fun of the "movement". Some random assholes, sure, but it looks like it's mostly overblown.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Not gonna lie, after everyone talking about them in this thread, one of the main things I'm looking forward to seeing now is freaky CGI undead or de-aged actors. I didn't watch the Vader leaked video, but I would totally check out leaked video of unholy uncanny valley poo poo.

edit: All I can find so far is this weird video with still shots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI4ZbOecKMs

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 16, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

One thing I never really noticed until this last week was that Janson in ESB was like the happiest pilot alive. Everybody else was "ok we have a job to do" and he's just happy to be up there.

That's pretty typical of war movies in general. Billy Crystal has a bit about this somewhere (that I can't find right now) that goes something like (paraphrasing from, like, decade old memory), "In war movies there's always a happy excited guy who's the first to go. He's usually named Bronx or Brooklyn, and he'll say, 'When I get home, the first thing I'm gonna do is go to Yankees stadium! And I'm gonna get the biggest hot dog! And I'm gonn-' *bang*".

edit: Listened to the soundtrack on Spotify, and everyone saying it's dull is spot on. It's somewhat an attempt to mimic Williams from the 80's, but it's mostly bland, and I'm struggling to remember anything I just listened to. TFA had at least 3 tracks I fell in love with immediately. This hints at themes Williams used, but never does anything interesting with them.

I guess it's not fair to compare anyone to Williams, but when you take the job of composing a Star Wars movie...that's going to happen.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 16, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Was this in reference to Tarkin? All his dialogue was by Guy Henry, who also did mocap on set for the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMB2sLwz0Do

I have no proof of this, but I think they actually re-used one Cushing line. "You may fire when ready." It threw me off in the theater, because the guy doing the rest of the dialogue is doing an alright Cushing impression, but it's not perfect, and then suddenly Cushing's voice came out of nowhere.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Danger posted:

Forces of Destiny

I can't imagine they'd go with something so close to The Force Awakens with the very next episodic movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Danger posted:

The rumor stems from Disney applying for a fuckton of merchandising trademarks with that subtitle in the EU.

That could be for any number of things, though. New TV show (since the showrunner of Rebels was just made head of all animation, or something like that, implying something new is coming), or a video game, or something.

But it probably is the new movie title. Oh well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I thought they showed jar jar die on alderaan in one of the George edits?

That was a fan edit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Look, the Aftermath books are not good. There are some fun characters, but on the whole they're poo poo. Written like poo poo, plotted out like poo poo, structured like poo poo, just poo poo. On the whole, the new EU has been a vast improvement over the old EU (though, give it time, most of the EU's problems got worse as time went on), but the Aftermath books are a black mark, to be sure.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress

Yeah, it's incredibly annoying. It works better in audio book form, because it reads more like a radio drama. But it's poo poo writing all around in the Aftermath trilogy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I read a review of the latest one that said "each aftermath book is better than the previous." If that's the case, then the judging by the quality of this one, the first one must have been written by Charlie from Always Sunny.

That first Aftermath book was really bad. Second one was better, but still poo poo.

Like, I'll read the third, because I like some of the characters he's introduced. But the writing is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zeris posted:

Since this is the spoiler thread(!) -- for the Rebels fans: were there any worthy points of speculation from the season 4 trailer?

It features Rukh. Thrawn is probably gonna die.

• Locked thread