Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

I meant to ask earlier. I placed my order at like 7:00 am PDT and chose the fastest shipping option. Did any one get told "Oct 30th" specifically?

Mine says Oct 30th-Nov 3rd.

Same, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They would hold them back. Apple is not a "store employees improvise" sort of company.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No shipping notification yet, Silicon Valley. Boo Apple, boo I say.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultramiraculous posted:

I realized I didn't order the fast shipping, and I double-ordered it with the gold-trimmed pre-noon shipping on Tuesday. Gonna be there for me at work for me tomorrow :smug:

Suck it.

I got a notification yesterday, it'll be here today. I decline to suck it.

ufarn posted:

Twitch are incredibly slow when it comes to stuff like this, but I think it should be moderately easy to port it to tvOS from iOS.

Unless their app uses a webview, in which case it'll be some real work.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 30, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mine arrived, but the remote seems to be DOA. My old remote works fine, but the Siri one doesn't do anything. The ATV says that the remote isn't connected. I tried charging it for an hour, in case it was the first Apple product I'd ever had that came without charge.

Anything to try before I head to the Apple Store for replacement?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Actually, long-holding menu+home put it in standby, but neither button do anything when I press them while it's on, and menu won't wake it up. Weird.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fixed it while on the phone with Apple support: left it sitting on the Bluetooth settings screen for several minutes, and my remote showed up as an other device. Paired and I'm in business.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fordan posted:

Are they giving up 30% to Apple?

Doesn't that only apply to digital goods? If I buy a TV through the Amazon app, I don't think Apple gets a cut.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

noirstronaut posted:

It only applies to things you buy with your iTunes account

Right, but all digital goods have to go through iTunes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought episode 1 of a show earlier, then went to watch it last night. After I watched it, I decided I wanted to watch the next episode, and there was no way to go from that view to the rest of season 1 in the store other than backing out and searching.

What the hell, Apple.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4th definitely does: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205302

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TinTower posted:

Pokeyman, make this happen.

No web views. :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also, searching via Siri is really a lot nicer. Plus it has dynamic range compression, which I don't recall the ATV3 sporting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd be a little surprised if most music had enough range that it would trigger, but I'm far from an expert. Or I need to get more into the new "Explosions & Whispers" genre.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

Surprised you can't Siri-voice-yell words into it.. I guess it'd be a lot of titles and proper names that wouldn't be easy to parse though.

Even being able to spell aloud would be better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is password re-entry a big deal? I think most just get entered once, so unless you sync from iCloud somehow it won't help to have a touch option for subsequent use.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Choadmaster posted:

Every time I buy an app I have to enter my Apple ID password.

Ah, I made a different life choice there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Martytoof posted:

I might try going back to my ATV3 remote if it's not a complete pain to sync.

When my Siri remote wasn't working I just pointed my ATV3 one at it and it worked immediately.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, but for a subscription service who cares? A 55yo's $5.99/mo is as good as a 27yo's to CBS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

puppy party posted:

Anyone having weird AirPlay issues when pushing Spotify to the new ATV4? Mine only wants to seem to play for about 1-2 minutes before it drops the AirPlay connection and starts playing the last played Apple Music radio station that was listened to. I've checked all the AirPlay settings and there are no restrictions or anything like that so I have no idea what is going on. Anyone else seen this happen? I've tried restarting the box a few times to no avail.

I've had that problem with another app, yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gaz2k21 posted:

I don't suppose anyone has any good recommendations for iPhone apps that could be used as a touchpad/keyboard or perhaps a wireless keyboard and mouse that doesn't use Bluetooth.

Remote.app works for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mediaphage posted:

I think he means for OS X.

Oh, like a VNC client running on the iPhone and driving the Mac?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The single-line keyboard is still a brutal troll.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Craptacular! posted:

Even just adding the stuff the iPhone has now would require adding location detection etc to the ATV.

Having people enter their location once, likely by speaking their city or full address aloud, is probably not too onerous. ATVs don't move around as much as iPhones.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Duckman2008 posted:

Random thought: you can side load apps on the Apple TV, like how they have the way of putting a ROM emulator on. Any way I could side load the Amazon iPad app onto it?

Not without the source, and even then you'd have to remove its use of UIWebView at the least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Double-press the home button (with the TV on it) and you can swipe away apps like in iOS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also BOOOOOOOOOOOO UPDATE IN THE FALL

Get the developer seed?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EL BROMANCE posted:

Had a feeling, they should just do the networking connections that they have for the rest of iOS.

Doesn't that pop a webview?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Ethernet is 10/100, so that's one mystery solved.

Does it need to be faster?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, does it buffer when playing HD content from the iTunes Store? That's also being pulled over the network. You could run a network monitoring tool on the laptop and see whether it's saturating the 150 Mbps of the network.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You might be encountering the fast that AirPlay sucks butt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vtlock posted:

I use AirPlay daily and have no problems.

I use it for video, which I think has a special path, but not successfully as mirroring. The latency even on wired networks is brutal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ugh, I hadn't encountered that yet, but I know I will hate it too. I don't even use the TV app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This sounds like a problem for a Raspberry Pi.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But everyone in California has unlimited data, I don't understand.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Martytoof posted:

the ATV turns on and takes over input.

This is the most annoying thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the upgrade is what sold me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Martytoof posted:

So is 4k the only upgrade on the box? Don't have a 4k tv so I guess that's my decision on whether to upgrade right there.

4K, HDR (both standards), faster processor in case you game on it for some reason.

Did they make the remote better?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://twitter.com/ryszu/status/907700179486298112

Maybe games will be good now?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Endless Mike posted:

He also seems to forget that it's passively cooled, unlike the others he listed.

Sure, there are a lot of variables. I think it's still a big step forward.