Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jet sanchEz posted:

I find this very interesting, I presume Saskatchewan appealed the ruling? It never made sense to me that transit is an essential service----cops and EMS and doctors, sure, but a bus driver?

A lot of people need to take the bus to work. If they can't work, they can't get paid. They can't afford to take a taxi across Toronto in rush hour. If they can't get paid, they can't eat food or heat the house.

Speaking of doctors, Ontario's are launching a charter challenge to get binding arbitration like doctors enjoy in 8 other provinces.

Ontario MDs plan charter challenge against provincial government

quote:

Ontario doctors plan to launch a charter challenge against the provincial government, which has twice this year unilaterally cut their pay.

The province unilaterally cut fees across the board for all doctors by 2.65 per cent in February and 1.3 per cent in October.

The province has rebuffed the doctors’ request for a binding dispute resolution process, most recently on Tuesday when the OMA leadership met with Health Minister Eric Hoskins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

Gay people who contribute to oppressive political movements should be criticized imo.

You called?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Acting against your group's interests still makes you a giant hypocrite and kind of a shithead whether you're waving their banner or not.

Maybe he considers his primary group to be conservatives and not gay people?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

I (and I think 2 other posters here) ended up with this wingnut who only 5 short years ago literally cheated his way into the Conservative party because they didnt want him to begin with. At least he only won by like 200 votes so Barrie-Innisfil might finally be considered a swing riding instead of a conservative safe haven.

You would have preferred Rod Jackson?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Toronto is leaking on the rest of the province again.

http://business.financialpost.com/p...nd-transfer-tax

quote:

The province is set to give all municipalities the right to double the amount of land transfer tax you'll pay on your next real estate deal.

Industry insiders say they've been told the government will amend the Municipal Act to allow all municipalities to set their own municipal land transfer tax (MLTT).

Right now, only the City of Toronto is allowed to levy its own MLTT. It doubles the tax paid by buyers in all residential real estate deals.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

The Land Transfer Tax is a good policy.

Even if it wasn't, you yokels forced Harris on us twice and wrecked our beautiful Metro government with MegaCity, so now you get to enjoy the political equivalent of having a warm bucket of piss slowly dumped over your head by a government that actively disdains you.

Well excuuuse us for believing a school teacher could do a good job. Joke's on you though, rural people move into a place and never leave. It's city people who move into a 700 sq ft condo and then realize they can't raise a kid there so they buy a townhouse and then the house is too small and crime too high and he gets a promotion so they move again out to the suburbs.

I think municipal land transfer tax is dumb because they already have municipal property tax. If they need more, just raise that and tax everybody, why the extra tax on people who are moving? People generally don't move houses just for fun, it isn't a consumption tax. You also raise the barrier to new homebuyers aka potential property tax payers. And it's an extra tax on seniors downgrading and makes them more likely to stay in their home forever so you plebes never get to buy them and are forced to rent or live in the suburbs oh now I like this tax.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Anything that actively depresses house flippers and real estate speculating is good policy imo.

Has it done that in any meaningful way in Toronto?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
The most adorable criticism of a gay person in the thread so far.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Did you also vote Harper?

I voted for the guy who was going to balance the federal budget and reward job creators by reducing small business tax by 2%.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Opinions are fine as long as youre willing to debate them. Swagger is not open to debating anything, he shits out his god awful opinions on everything without any facts or reasoning and when confronted about it disappears for weeks in hopes that the topic has moved on.

PT6A, ikantski and bunny are all examples of good posters even though I rarely agree with them because they are always open for discussion.

Also ikantski, yes I would legitimately rather have Rod "Car Salesman" Jackson than a guy that literally worships Thatcher, Regan and Mulroney.

I was honestly wondering. I know the Jacksons personally, they've all been pretty cool over the years.

Also this.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Serious question, at what point does the Sun run so far afoul of basic journalistic standards that someone holds them to account?

The same time the Toronto Star starts posting articles like this under Opinion instead of News.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/10/22/its-been-a-terrible-decade-under-stephen-harper-porter.html

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Oh, okay. Journalism's just like that now. Cool.

I'd actually argue that it's people that are like that now. Newspapers don't influence readers, readers influence papers. People will buy the paper that reinforces their world view. As people got more polaraized by Harper, so did the papers. They're an outdated medium precariously teetering on the edge of profitability so you kind of expect them to pander to their readers and be a bit biased. :shrug:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

While I don't entirely disagree with this analysis I think you're overlooking the extent to which unprofitable newspapers are maintained by their owners so that they can be used to influence political outcomes. For instance, if the Toronto Sun (or the Globe for that matter) was exclusively catering to the bias of it's readers then why would it continually endorse a party that has only won a single seat in Toronto (that it held for less than a full term) since 1999?

If I were running a paper in the GTA, would I want to compete with the Toronto Star for progressive readers or would I go for the slightly smaller but competition free market of conservative minded GTA readers? You don't need to go after the biggest market to make money, lots of people make money by going after smaller ones that have less competition. I wouldn't imagine the Star lost money over attacking Rob Ford, people were eating that up. I'd need to see some real numbers at least.

I'm also not saying they're entirely biased and you're not saying they're entirely unbiased just that economic realities mean we should keep in mind while reading that they're probably biasing themselves to their readership a little bit. Even the Globe's Harper conservative endorsement did that. Lots of Globe readers are long time conservative voters who were not thrilled with Harper. Libs are happy to see the paper attack harper, cons are happy to see them endorse the cpc. It basically said "Vote conservative. Or don't. Neither choice is that wrong", a cop out similar to the Toronto Star's "Hold your nose and vote Wynne" one from a year ago, just printing what the readers are already feeling.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

Modo also serves from Surrey to North Vancouver--Victoria too.

But my right to drive. :qq:

I wish there was an easier way to convey to the public that every square kilometre of road costs more to run and maintain than every kilometre of rapid transit.

Square km to linear km?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Here's an unbiased update on the current Wynnanigans, $3.74m in secret payments to unions and getting bigger every day. The nature of net zero negotiations of course means that this money comes from other areas of the already strained education budget.

The globe releases info showing the government paid a couple of teacher unions $1m directly.
The OLP says that the $1m was to help offset extra costs incurred by the union because of the new negotiating process.
The opposition says that's a suspiciously round number, what the heck?
OLP education minister says that they don't need receipts, they know what boardrooms and pizza cost.
Globe uncovers that the payments to unions go all the way back to 2008, before the new negotiating process, totalling $2.5m this year and $1.24m last two rounds to unions and the rest to school boards.
The opposition is pretty pissed because the amount given carte blanche is pretty close to what the unions have donated to OLP and spent advertising against their opponents
Wynne now says that the payments haven't gone out yet and of course they require receipts.
The opposition calls for auditor general inquiry... which has to be voted on by all parties including the majority OLP.

MonsieurChoc posted:

While dumping a ton of waste into the river is bad, getting rid of that industrial wasteland is good and it's not like the river isn't polluted already.

leftists.txt

Rime posted:

If you drink the disgusting piss swill known as "beer", you deserve what you get in life anyways (a fat gut and an empty wallet). Straight Vodka or a finely aged Mead like a respectable adult. :chord:

That is the opposite of respectable adult. That's pony tail having, trenchcoat wearing, holden caulfield acting 10 years later than is appropriate talk. Respectable adults don't care what other people drink.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jsoh posted:

from what that guy said it looks like they are giving that money to the union which then gives it to the party. so its spending public money to campaign, which is al ot worse than the union getting bought i think

That's what the opposition is saying but it's obviously impossible to prove. Some money flows in to the union from the OLP and other money flows out to political campaigning. It's annoying but it's not illegal. I think the unions look especially bad to the teachers. Interestingly, one union, the ETFO, the one who is going to be docked pay if they don't call off work to rule, is the only union who hasn't ever accepted any cash from the OLP. Good on them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Hammond is a moron and ETFO will end up with less than OECTA and OSSTF like last time. Docking the unionized members pay will just to them filing for conciliation and striking 5 days afterwards.

What would you do if you were Sam Hammond?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Seppuku, or just accept the same offer as the other teachers. Without unity you have no leverage.

What's the point of having separate unions then? I thought their big issue was that the large class sizes are a lot harder to manage for elementary teachers than they are for secondary, that makes sense to me? Isn't it ultimately up to the teachers too? Hammond must have a pretty good idea of what they want. His union is 50,000 teachers, I'd think his leverage is fine.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

The unions needs to and should have a real strike, there's no question. All these shenanigans from Wynne are because they've shown they're unwilling to do it. Work to rule isn't enough. They should have done it the first week of back in September.

Time for an armed revolution imo. I love how Wynne is just blatantly ignoring the advice of the financial accountability officer she appointed in the position she created to prevent bad decisions like this.

‘It’s going,’ Wynne says of Hydro One sale despite watchdog warning

quote:

Premier Kathleen Wynne is sticking to her plan to sell off Hydro One to bankroll transportation infrastructure despite a damaging report to the legislature from the budget watchdog.

“It’s going,” Wynne said firmly on Thursday in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

As first disclosed by the Star, Stephen LeClair, the recently appointed financial accountability officer, warned Thursday the province will be in even “worse” shape after the sale of the Crown utility.

In a 41-page report, LeClair said there is much “uncertainty” surrounding the sale of the electricity transmitter.

But Wynne disputes his conclusion.

“In terms of the long-term, we thought this was the right way to go,” the premier said at the Ontario Economic Summit at the White Oaks Resort and Spa in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

At Queen’s Park, Finance Minister Charles Sousa said the government needs the proceeds to help fund a 10-year $30.5-billion expansion of transit, roads, and bridges.

“Our government remains on track to realize our target of $9 billion through the broadening of ownership of Hydro One,” said Sousa.

Of that $9 billion, $4 billion is earmarked for transportation and $5 billion to pay off the utility’s debt.

“I welcome Mr. LeClair’s assessment of our government’s effort to broaden the ownership of Hydro One,” the treasurer said.

“In particular, I appreciate his reaffirmation of our government’s valuation of Hydro One through the initial public offering which is now underway,” he said.

“Net proceeds will be put aside to help finance our government’s plan to invest in infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and public transit in a way that both saves borrowing costs and does not add to the province’s debt.”

Sousa added that “broadening ownership of Hydro One will also result in a stronger-performing, more customer service-focused company.”

“Increased efficiencies will result in operating cost savings which can be passed on to rate payers,” he maintained.

But LeClair warned the move would increase the provincial debt by reducing revenue.

“In the years following the sale of 60 per cent of Hydro One, the province’s budget balance would be worse than it would have been without the sale,” he writes in his first-ever report to the legislature.

“The province’s net debt would initially be reduced, but will eventually be higher than it would have been without the sale,” he continues in An Assessment of the Financial Impact of the Partial Sale of Hydro One.

“Assuming the province sells 15 per cent of Hydro One in 2015-16, Ontario’s net debt would initially be reduced by $2.4 billion to $3.9 billion. However, net debt would eventually increase as a result of the partial sale as the costs of forgone revenues from Hydro One begin to exceed the initial fiscal benefits.”

That’s in part because Hydro One brings in around $750 million to the provincial coffers annually.

LeClair said the transmitter is worth between $11 billion and $14.3 billion and that the proceeds would be between $3.3 billion and $5.8 billion after its debt is repaid.

The Hydro One initial public offering — the biggest this year in Canada — will begin in days. Shares will start at between $19 and $21 each.

Wynne was urged to sell the company by her privatization guru Ed Clark, the former TD Bank chair who is also behind the expansion of beer sales in grocery stores.

Both the Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown and NDP Leader Andrea Horwath are pushing the Liberals not to sell such a valuable asset.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 29, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

drat right. Eliminate corporate tax, massively increase personal income tax for those above the median.

So you advocate abolishing tax on the profits of corporations and making that up by massively increasing personal income tax on people making above $30,000?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

This is the Nordic model

But I want to work extra hard and make lots of money?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

Median not average. But yes. I am hugely in favour of significantly higher marginal tax rates for top income brackets. Of which I would argue we should have significantly more.

Also yes part of this means changing how we tax capital gains, as well as the rules around corporations of one.

quote:

while the median individual income is just $27,600. That means just as many individuals earn less than $27,600 as earn more.

You guys are nuts, our politicians waste so much of the tax money we give them, I don't see how you can honestly advocate giving them more.

Albino Squirrel posted:

So, their stated goal is to fund infrastructure by.... selling off infrastructure? Profitable infrastructure at that?

Why? I mean, what possible ideological reason underlies that plan? Even the Ontario PCs are against it.

Yep, you and 83% of Ontarians see this clearly is a bad deal. My two theories are

a) Cronyism. Wynne's proved that she's not immune from it, quickly hiring her brother in law to head our electronic health records system and appointing the lady she ran for leadership against, who graciously stepped down, to the board of Hydro One. Our last Liberal premiere resigned and came back to Ontario 12 months later to lobby on behalf of a company that he'd given millions to while in office. If I was her, I wouldn't count on getting re-elected so it's nice to have a private sector fallback. The ex-TD president privatization guru is working for goddamn free to advise her.

b) Our financial situation. We're $300b in debt, paying $11b in interest alone per year. GDP growth is slow and green energy is crippling manufacturing. If we get more credit downgrades or if interest rates go up, we're in a really bad spot in terms of borrowing costs. We may actually be so far in debt that it's time to start burning the furniture to heat the house.

c) They've also already promised shares to the hydro workers union so it's kind of hard to back out of now.

infernal machines posted:

Because the banker they hired to tell them how to gut the province said to do it, so come hell or high water they're going to do it, no matter how little sense it appears to make.

TBF, if the OPC thought they could get away with it they'd have done the same thing. They're coming out against it now because it's the OLP doing it, not because they disagree with it ideologically.

OPC never wanted to sell the majority share of it and they had a majority, they could have sold it when they had the chance. The banker also originally said don't sell it until Wynne changed the panel's mandate. This is probably the more intelligent article Albino Squirrel is looking for rather than my rantings.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/04/20/how-hydro-one-ended-up-on-the-auction-block-cohn.html posted:

The advice from Ed Clark to Kathleen Wynne was unequivocal: Hydro One’s electrical wires are too strategic to privatize.

“We believe Hydro One transmission should remain in public ownership as a core asset at this time,” the privatization czar wrote in an interim report to the premier last November. “We believe this is an asset that, retained in public ownership, can play a positive policy role.”

That was five months ago.

Five days ago, Clark unplugged that advice — and reversed polarity — by urging the government to privatize the electrical utility after all. It was akin to reversing the flow of Niagara Falls, but Wynne swam in the current with him, buying into Clark’s “sell” recommendation with astonishing alacrity.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 29, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Coolwhoami posted:

There in theory will be some return of this in the form of corporate taxes and capital gains, but not a ton. In the debt case it is felt quickly and can be seen as "reckless borrowing", the corporation sale can be positioned as "necessary and fiscally responsible".

The FAO calculated the corp tax returns into his report today.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gonna raise 3b for infrastructure instead of 4 at this rate

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-29/canada-s-hydro-one-utility-said-to-raise-c-1-66-billion-in-ipo

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yep, his intelligence and education is why the Liberals chose Trudeau over Garneau.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

eXXon posted:

Where does the current sale price lie, closer to the first or second case?

Either way, it's 9-16 years to hit break even, after which the province will be losing 500 million annually from the sale. Bravo, cryptocon premier.

Closer to the low end.

quote:

the FAO estimates the proceeds of Hydro One to be $11–$14.3 billion

quote:

The sale gives Ontario’s largest electricity transmission and distribution company a market value of C$12.2 billion, based on 595 million shares outstanding

Way below the OLP's secret spring valuation

quote:

In April 2015, the council estimated the value of Hydro One at $13.5–$15 billion

and way below the $16 billion they were selling us this summer, http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/hydro-one-ontarios-privatization-plan-explained/article24743446/

quote:

If it goes through, it will be one of the largest privatizations of a government asset in a generation in Canada. The current valuation of Hydro One is about $15-billion to $16-billion.

Sucks they exaggerated the value of a multi billion dollar asset by 30% but Libs gonna Lib (copyright THC 2015).

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 30, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

ontario doctors apparently believe they are entitled by the charter of rights to make boatloads of money lmao

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/10/29/ontario-doctors-launch-charter-challenge-over-fee-cuts.html

What a bunch of babies, whining that they're entitled to binding arbitration like doctors in 8 other provinces are. They should just take whatever scraps the province throws them, times are tough, they're lazy and easily replaceable.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

i agree completely

Fire them all and replace them with midwives and homeopaths imo.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

If there is no money for teachers/nurses, why should other public sector workers get raises?

They aren't asking for raises, they're asking to not have their fees cut by 2.6% and again by another 1.3% in one year.

Edit: And teachers and OPP officers did get raises

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

open up med schools and recidencies to what the market can bear imo. stop protecting privileged doctors by artificially limiting the supply then they'll really start whining

You'll be glad to know the OLP went in completely the opposite direction, http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/10/ontario-residency-cuts_n_7968326.html

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gorau posted:

I vote we follow the NHS. All doctors are now government employees, none of this payed contractor poo poo. Doctors bitch and moan that they need to make 350k a year so they can pay for their office and staff. I say we solve the problem for them: they become employees of the government, government takes over all the other expenses, and doctors make 125k a year. Still vastly more than the population, but probably much more reasonable then they're making now. As an added bonus, doctors can now be incentivized to actually think about what tests/procedures/treatments they recommend and actually put the patient first instead of ordering a ton of redundant/unnecessary tests that costs the health system a ton of money and only serves to pad the doctors bottom line through fee for service.

Haha yeah let me do a minimum of 10 years of tough post secondary so I can make 125k a year working my rear end off because apparently I'm retarded.

Isentropy posted:

better them than the "administrators" and "managers" and various political mucky muck jobs that seem to get these sorts of salaries instead.

This is the problem with our health care budget right now, y'all are hosed in the head if you think it's the doctors getting paid too much that's the issue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/sohail-gandhi/ontario-needs-doctors-and-nurses_b_8291598.html

quote:

As I have come to appreciate, there has been an explosion in bureaucracy over the past 12 years in Ontario Health Care. Most of it has been because the government has set up various "arms length" agencies such as the LHIN's, eHealth, Health Quality Ontario (HQO), CCAC and so on, rather than simply accept responsibility for these tasks under the MOH. From a politicians point of view, this gave them the ability to defer criticism for any decisions by saying such and such agency is "independent." For the most part, for a Liberal politician, this worked -- they did win four elections in a row. But it certainly hasn't helped the patients any.

My colleague, Dr. Shawn Whatley, posted a superb blog with a look at how many bureaucrats are in health care in Canada. While I encourage you to read the full blog at the link, the short version is that there are 0.9 health care bureaucrats per 1,000 people in Canada, compared to 0.4 per 1,000 in Sweden, 0.255 in Australia and 0.23 in Japan. Germany rocks at 0.06 per 1,000. Worse, as Dr. Whatley points out, Ontario has only 1.7 acute care hospital beds per 1,000 population which is about HALF the average for other OECD countries. Ontario got to this number by closing 17,000 acute care beds (and laying off the nurses needed to staff them) between 1990 and 2013.

Unfortunately, that trend continues. You know that recent Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) report? The one that Kathleen Wynne and Eric Hoskins say shows that "Ontario has the best paid doctors in the country." That's a nice enough sound bite, but if one reads the report in detail, it also showed that 12,000 nurses have left the profession this past year. Additionally this same report showed that Ontario had only 176 physicians per 100,000 population (SEVENTH place in Canada). Unsurprisingly, only 10 per cent of family docs in the Ontario now take new patients. A great powerpoint summary of the report is here.

Ah, but at least the bureaucrats are producing meaningful reports and are happy to be helping with moving health system transformation forward right? Alas, a Health System Leaders (HSL) survey done by Quantum Transformation Technologies in June 2015 shows otherwise. A full copy of the report is here. Some notable results:

• 55 per cent of HSL's think Dr. Hoskins is doing a poor to fair job
• 62 per cent think the LHIN's are doing a poor to fair job
• 72 per cent (no really 72 per cent!) have poor to fair confidence CCAC can be fixed by current government
• 50 per cent feel that the government has a POOR (not poor to fair, just POOR) track record of helping those with mental health issues

This list goes on. It's dramatic just how poorly the leaders view the system, and how badly they feel the system is functioning. The comments at the bottom of the survey are equally telling as to how they feel the system is run. There are repeated calls to reduce the number of LHIN's, reduce the size of the bureaucracy and "bold transformation" of the health care system. As a side note, a senior executive form on of the LHIN's told me that the people who responded good to excellent on the questions did so because they didn't truly believe the survey was confidential.

So in short, in Ontario, we are burdened with a bloated, ineffective, demoralized health care bureaucracy. Kathleen Wynne and Eric Hoskins solution to this? Lay off nurses and start a fight with doctors. Franz Kafka couldn't have come up with something this convoluted.

RBC posted:

is there an actual argument in here. are you saying you are against a 6% pay cut for doctors fees and think its a good idea that a fake professional union is suing the government under the charter of rights for cutting their fees

Yes man, I'm against the government dictating a 6% pay cut to doctors (who can't strike) where they have no recourse to even an arbitration.

Trees and Squids posted:

Are there actually doctors making a pathetic, dirt, $110k a year? The average Canadian doctor's salary is around $300K, that's a pretty big discrepancy.

You know that's before they pay their secretary, support staff, office space, office equipment, education debts, ongoing education costs and all other expenses right?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gorau posted:

My point was that they 125k would be a salary, they wouldn't be responsible for any other expenses. It may be a tad low, but its probably close to what doctors take home now anyway.

A tad low? I can make 90k as an OPP officer with no post secondary after 3 years on the job or 95k as a school teacher with a bachelor degree in lesbian basket weaving and 2 year B.Ed and I'm only working 8 hours a day, 9 months a year.

RBC posted:

The acceptance rate for med school is like 6%. There's no shortage of people who want to "endure" ten years of school for a guarantee of a large income and untouchable job security.

And professionals don't have the right to strike. That's part of the deal for their high pay. Just like management isn't part of a union. It's retarded to be offended when privileged professionals get a small pay cut.

I think it's closer to 15% but yeah, part of the allure is the high pay. You're right though, we should open up the system. Let in way more doctors so capitalism can sort it out. To accomplish that, make the med schools for profit enterprises, there's no reason we should be subsidizing these future money havers. If there is such a demand for it, more schools should open to accept the volume. Then we can also stop subsidizing health care because there'll be a guy on every street corner qualified to take out your appendix. Capitalism :science:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
:airquote: accountability :airquote:

quote:

On November 4, the Premier will travel to China on a trade mission, where she will be joined by several Ontario business delegations. From November 5 to 14, Premier Wynne will travel to Nanjing, Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong

quote:

The Toronto Stock Exchange has conditionally approved the shares. Hydro One is expected to start trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Nov. 5, 2015.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

L

M

A

O

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-canadian-teams

"Wait, poo poo, you mean everyone hates the rich and wants them to pay more taxes? gently caress, gently caress, how do we sell opposition to this? I know! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR ATHLETES :qq::qq::qq:"

The best part

quote:

For NHL players considering playing in Toronto, establishing U.S. residency can be easier because the Leafs tend not to make playoffs, allowing players to get back to the U.S. in April. U.S. residency is harder to maintain for players with the Canadiens, whose season is more likely to be extended by playoffs

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cowofwar posted:

Unfortunately doctors have historical privilege in being a protected class of elites. Doctors were children of the upper class exclusively. They still have a lot of entitlement issues and don't think of themselves as middle class trades workers who independently contract (aside from salaried positions).

They will join us soon on the bottom. I look forward to their bullshit tax privileges being removed. Bullshit corporations of one where they pay their family members with shareholder dividends to avoid taxes.

My favorite poo poo is when they whine about needing their massive salaries because of their long training and student loans. Well guess what poo poo-lords, the rest of us have long training and student loans as well and it entitles you to nothing. What's concerning is that nobody fails out of med school once they get in despite their admission being evaluated based on academics while their new training is as a clinician. You can't tell me that the intake exams and interviews have 100% success rates; the lovely ones just end up being family doctors that horribly mismanage people in a remote community.

A large majority of Canadians work double jobs or harder for longer than doctors for a small fraction of the pay with none of the hushed tax advantages that allow them to make mid six figures and only pay 0-20% tax.

It's not often that you see an entire post that is wrong but here we are. The dividends don't make a huge difference, here's an example. Yeah, they can dividend out to family members but so can any small corporation and you still need to pay corp tax on that at a minimum. I don't think it's the huge tax loophole you're making it out to be.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Isn't just scanning the land titles database for Chinese sounding names a little fluffy to use as evidence for anything?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
How do you leave Rona Ambrose off that list?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

A Canadian is a Canadian is a Somalian is a Canadian.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Slightly Toasted posted:

Omg our health minister is an actual Doctor what is this witchcraft

Ontario has a doctor for health minister as well. Unfortunately, he skipped proctology day so we continue to be a broke rear end province with pissed off doctors and nurses. Luckily, Trudeau isn't going down the same massive spending road that the OLP did to put us in this position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

Reporters are literal scum

Can't really blame Harper not talking to them eh?