Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I like Shawarma palace because they call me boss and make me feel like a man (for once). Both Rideau and Bank/Hunt Club are good.

Also $12 to leave my wife and I couch bound for the rest of the night (and with garlic breath for days) is just too loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Since the big three have successfully had tarrifs increased multiple times in the last year, teksavvy isn't all that much cheaper than the rest.

Everytime I receive communications from them lately it is a rate hike.

Right now I could get a faster plan with Rogers for cheaper and I also don't need to buy a modem.. However, gently caress that. It is not worth spending 10 hours fighting with them when they hike my sunshine rate 30% a year from now.

It is also ridiculously short sighted to run off to the dudes who are trying to choke them out of competition.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
For CI.

Canadian war vet faces court martial over rude remark
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/wade-pear-court-martial-1.3393303

I think it is safe to say that Pear's observations have been proven to be 100% correct.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Brannock posted:

What are these, specifically?

The dude is pretty clearly a pussy

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Calgary still manages to have one, and sometimes two of its Costcos in the top 10 daily sales reports world wide.
Calgarians somehow manage to spend over $2,000,000 at Costco every loving day of the year. I'm not certain if those numbers are equalized to USD or not.

Also St. John's. These people are supposed to be poor.

Anyway thx Alberta for ensuring I have job security.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
This thread is shockingly hostile to the cyclists for a bunch of people who complain about car culture.
As someone who frequently rides my bike a hundred or so Km out of the city and back, in addition to commuting to work half of the year, I am glad to know that I'll have it coming if I get smoked. Thanks.

Ikantski posted:

Speaking of people who badly misjudge risk/reward.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
We shouldn't give AB a cent unless it is under the condition of creating a PST and actually taxing income in a not retarded way.

Reference to infrastructure injection briefly discussed between 9 pages of fat chat.

Math You fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 5, 2016

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

PT6A posted:

We are moving toward progressive income taxation, although there's obviously more to be done. I'm not sure why you'd then favour introducing an inherently regressive tax like an HST, but I'm quite sure it's a bad idea.

Fair. However I was speaking more to the point that there is a poo poo ton of revenue that they need to be collecting when times are good so they aren't immediately hosed every time resources take a hit.

"Hey bro I was too busy buying trucks to save a dime. HELP ME OUT"
- Residents of Alberta
- Also government of Alberta

The idea that Conservatives can still march around with the "We arent gonna tax you. Why would we tax you and pay a bunch of useless fatcat public servants when you know how to manage your household finances so well?" message is loving ridiculous.

Someone more creative (and generally more useful) than me troll social media for truck nut hicks who shared similar clips and are now begging for assistance and make funnies.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Mother Canada got killed. Woohoo!

Also blackberry laying off an unknown number of employees.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Can you motherfuckers stop acting like you are shocked and appalled everytime PT6A calls for blood? He will reply to every single post you make signalling your disgust in him.

I'm starting to think you guys get off on it and it's RUINING my crapper reading.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Are all you retards supporting Kellie "barbaric practices" leitch for real?

What the gently caress is a Canadian value? The Conservative party of Canada just got on the gay marriage train like 4 months ago or something.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'm stuck in Saskatoon for the day with nothing to do. Really, nothing. The listed attractions on trip advisor and in google are all closed Sundays.

The whole city is a loving ghetto ghost town. I'm not usually one to complain about a lack of traffic but it honestly feels like I'm driving around in the middle of the night.

gently caress the prairies.

Also why the gently caress are these digital billboards as bright as they are? Are they trying to light the way to Regina?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Someone please post instances of Rosemary Barton and Carol Off owning scrubs on air. I think it is my fetish.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I think this is the first mass shooting in living memory where I haven't heard anyone suggest the victims should have had guns.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't remember that happening after Parliament Hill or Moncton either but maybe my memory is faulty?

You don't remember the months long crusade to get a carbine in every RCMP cruiser in the country and all the gun nuts trying to pin the deaths on the evil politicians for failing to equip officers like judge dredd?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
How do you function IRL?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've never gotten stuck in my goddamn life driving exclusively sedans / hatch backs. Never AWD.
I've been through some pretty deep poo poo and I credit my record to having a brain. Like if a plow went by my street maybe I'll wait until there are no cars so I can hit the wall at speed?*
I've seen a lot of AWD SUVs and trucks stuck in traps that I just plow through.

That said if I were driving around loving northern Ontario or something where there's no road service at all then I'd probably get something taller.

*Don't try this if there's any wetness to the snow or you're gonna have an expensive repair

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The Kirkland organic eggs in the clamshell made out of water bottles are supposedly pretty good on a "humane treatment" side of things. I know they are sourced from smaller family farms all over. That obviously doesn't mean poo poo but Costco is the only retailer I'd trust to make meaningful relationships with farmers, who they will invest in to bring operations up to scale and to get them following best practices... If their coffee and cocoa sources are any indication anyway.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

The Butcher posted:

If a woman told me I smelled nice in an elevator, I'd be slightly weirded out but also get a nice ego boost, because I know nothing would come of it.

If I told a woman she smelled nice in an elevator, she would be uncomfortable and scared because she has no idea what could come of it.

The equation shifts when there is a power imbalance involved obviously, but if we are talking about 2 work equals making the same "harmless joke/flirt" its not the same when it goes woman -> man vs man -> woman for most people.

Nice :biotruths: human being.

That woman could overpower and rape the poo poo outta you and indicating otherwise is sexist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So what's a good punishment for someone who's sexually harassed someone?

A lot of the people I see clamoring to fire every man who's ever made a woman uncomfortable would typically believe in rehabilitation over vindictive sentences when it comes to criminal punishment.

While I've been mostly happy with the metoo campaign and all of the resulting resignations and firings (and especially gently caress Herh and Brown), I can't help but wonder what's enough.

I kind of think back to that hydro one "gently caress her right in the pussy" idiot. Has he since found employment? At what level of financial ruin would people determine he had suffered enough for being a pig headed idiot?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The loving problem is Harvey's uses red onion.. on burgers. A&W only ff chain to realize the potential of slicing white onions.

Yep first CanPol post in a year(s?) is about burger toppings. I will poo poo it up extra heavy and state that I hope Tanya Granic Allen continues to get a lot of air time.. not in the hope that she tanks the party from within (although that would be a nice plus), but because she's the first living person I've genuinely wanted to hate gently caress. :cheers:

I love her and her blackened heart

Math You fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 12, 2018

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Maybe take another year off and try not to sound so rapey next time?

Ok I guess hate gently caress is a pretty gross term. I admit to being intentionally crude, but drat dude. I wish only to have the most enjoyable, sober, consensual hate sex.

Sorry for the awful derail.

Doug Ford absolutely has a high chance of winning. As much as I'd love to jump on the "this isn't AMERICA" train, Doug Ford honestly does not have anywhere near the baggage Trump did, and several massive advantages that Trump did not.

I'd love to say the thrashings Dougie will take in the debates will make a difference, but no one gives a gently caress about debates. We can only hope the OPC continue to eat themselves alive with the same vigor they have the last couple months decade.
Hold onto your butts.

Math You fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 12, 2018

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I was at Costco last night and a short man with a kid or two in tow was blocking an aisle getting samples.

Guy turns around and it's Yasir Naqvi. I was gonna say something dumb about the election but decided it wasn't the time /place. He could tell I recognized him and seemed relieved when I kept my trap shut. His family really seemed to enjoy their Kirkland Ham samples.

Anyway that's my CanPol story. Hope you enjoyed.

Math You fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 15, 2018

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'm a white guy who has several women and POC in the same position as me with a lot fewer technical (and personal) skills than me. It took me four years of scratching and clawing to get to the top of the pay rate in my position even though I've been training everyone else the entire time, and have numerous unique responsibilities. I actually had to listen to HR talk to me about the "optics" of giving me large raises several times.

I never felt the need to get on a soap box and cry about my position. It was between me and my employer. I certainly didn't feel the need to deny the existence of white privilege. Even though I wasn't necessarily benefiting from it in the workplace, it may have helped me get there. poo poo, I'm 29 and have never been pulled over!
However, it did suck... I can sort of see how some people start to lose it and get sucked into the talking points of the right, especially if they are regularly exposed to young activists telling them how bad they should feel all of the time.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've spent my life laughing at conservatives crying to defund the CBC, but now maybe I am one of them. That or give them a lot more funding so they can afford to actually do some journalism. Half of their poo poo it just pulled from other sources and poo poo like the fifth estate are just hack jobs designed to stir controversy and ratings.

Dunno if any goons watched last week's EP on pharmacy but holllllyyy poo poo. It was the laziest excuse of reporting that I've seen in my life.

Disclaimers
1. I work for Costco
2. I work in pharmacy

I can go into some detail not on my phone if there's interest, but really, going to some dying guy's house, broadcasting his sob story nationally, and then going "how do you feel about Costco doing something entirely irrelevant to your situation when you live with this?"
What's worse is there are lots of programs out there to help connect patients with inadequate coverage with life saving medication, specifically because people dying due to lack of medication looks bad on the manufacturers. The fifth estate wasn't at all interested in helping anyone they interviewed. They were not at all interested in looking at the real problems in the industry. They just sensationalized the gently caress out of a relatively small news story because they don't understand the issue or someone high up at CBC really doesn't like Costco, which would explain some wonderful reporting in the past.

Dog treats carried by every major retailer in Canada, and which had passed all inspections* is accused by some random woman of poisoning her dog.
COSTCO MURDERS DOG. UNREMORSEFUL

*To be fair I wouldn't feed that poo poo to my dog. Again, they are missing the real story.

Costco misses a step on a small specialty order of some canned tuna, as retailers rarely import food goods directly. CFIA takes issue and Costco works with them to correct their processes to ensure it does not happen again.
COSTCO PUTS EVERYONE AT RISK. BANNED FROM FISH!

Anyway gently caress the CBC. As much as I like to beat up on corporations, being more intimately knowledgeable about these particularly stories has really stained my perception of the organization as a whole. I can't take any of their investigative journalism seriously.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

RBC posted:

its delivered to the post office in the morning and you can pick it up when the lazy minimum wage skeezebag at shoppers drug mart scans it after their 5th smoke break

The Canada Post desk at my rexall is staffed by a young woman who is very personable and helpful. I'll be sad when she graduates :(

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My aunt shares lots of weird poo poo on Facebook. One was an image of bacon at various levels of doneness captioned "which piece is cooked perfectly?"

Queue 3000 comments of meat is murder and desperate claims that meatless alternatives taste "better", interspersed with the odd "geeze, I just wanted to talk about bacon" which all had 30+ replies of the same self righteous comments. Some of which implied that meat eaters would get cancer (and so, so deserve it).

This wasn't like a meat lovers page or something, just the usual click bait "funny" page which market themselves to old white people. Apparently there is an army of vegans who search Facebook for any reference to meat?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Vintersorg posted:

Oh no, insurance covered businesses. I feel so bad.

Just because you sympathize with vandals doesn't make their actions legitimate. If a bunch of Nazis knocked out your windows I doubt you'd shrug it off with "oh well insurance will pay for it".
People having their poo poo trashed and understanding they might have been personally harmed if they had been there are right to be upset.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Twitter idiot's mistake was tweeting it. It's not like she was the only one thinking the exact same thing. I've been sharing similar sentiments with friends, family, and coworkers all week.. you know, people who know me well enough to understand I'm not evil or trying to deligitimize whatever feelings of grief they may be experiencing.

Privilege shaming a bunch of dead teenagers was also not the most nuanced way to get the point across. I don't feel particularly bad for her. Hopefully it blows over soon and doesn't ruin her career.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

DariusLikewise posted:

It's okay that she is getting rape and death threats because are either too lazy or stupid to read 3 tweets in a row, got it.

It's okay that she is getting rape and death threats because she can spin them into a lucrative career opportunity, got it.
Lmao chill out dude

No one's justifying the reaction. It was a dumb thing to say the way it was said, and SHOCKER posting something out in the world wide web where any idiot can read it and get offended has consequences.

Violence or threats of it are never acceptable. You can be critical of someone without joining the lynch mob.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

infernal machines posted:

So... you don't even disagree with her opinion, you just dislike that she had the temerity to express it in a public forum?

I 100 percent agree with her opinion*. It was 100 percent a stupid idea to post it on the internet the way that she did.

She could have said the same thing at least a few different ways without so openly privilege shaming a bunch of dead kids using words like whiteness and maleness.
Dumb white people are triggered by poo poo like this and it doesn't hurt to speak in a more palatable fashion for a wider audience when it is such a touchy subject.

Edit: Heaven forbid speaking in a way that might actually convince people about your argument, if it makes your tweets less edgy or woke.

*I actually do kind of disagree with the maleness part. If it were a bus full of young women I don't think that would have lessoned the over reaction in Canada..

Math You fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 13, 2018

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Ya who gives a gently caress about being able to communicate in a way that's approachable to people of all stipes? What good could ever come of such a thing? What is gray?

Anyway. Hopefully this at least gets some national attention outside of "LOOK AT THE AWFUL HARPY". There is already the odd op ed out in support of her.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Literally everyone in Ottawa buys beer in Quebec. There's no savings on wine or spirits, but you can buy 24s of "premium imports" like Stella or Heineken for 25 bucks at the Gatineau Costco. Same case at the beer store will run you $60.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Everybody tripping over themselves to drop their hot takes in.
WOW GLOBAL CALLED IT TERRORISM THEY ARE THE WORST
OH HEY IT WAS A WHITE GUY NOW WATCH THEM SAY IT'S NOT TERRORISM.
WOW LUCKY THE GUY WAS SO WHITE OR HED BE SOOOOOO DEAD

Is it really too much to wait for some facts to come in, or give credit to the police for peacefully arresting the guy? Like I'm first in line to call for public execution of bad cops and you guys turn me off.

Please go outside.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

infernal machines posted:

Did you actually ready any of the thread or just scan by for hot takes?

Lmao you were one of the hot takes I quoted. Tell me, now that the driver has been identified as "white" from some grainy rear end cell phone footage, are you still upset at global for calling it terrorism or are you going to have an anuerysm when they roll that back to "lone wolf"?

Granted the discussion on this page has largely been better, but the back half of the last page was at least 50 percent hot takes

Edit: I guess I should read poster names instead of just text. You post a lot and it wasn't all hot takes. So sorry, I guess I wronged you :(

Math You fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 23, 2018

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'll go back to lurking now.

Math You fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 23, 2018

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
That's got nowhere near enough impotent rage to be real. If the army talk and 4chan references were replaced with seething about the sexual market place or something it might have been believable.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Lmao now CBC is doing a giant piece on Elliot Rodgers and are explaining what Chads and Staceys are... Are you loving kidding me?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

RBC posted:

i really hope dougie comes up with another ferris wheel idea and people can start to see hes a loving dolt just like his brother

"any land that we take from the green belt, we'll replace"

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So is there any news on what this Erin Weir guy did or is he just guilty of being an autist?

Doesn't seem like a good news item for the NDP either way. Seems like a good sounding horn for idiots. "SEE? ME TOO HAS GONE TOO FAR"