Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

In CS1 during the field study where they see the scarlet train whip past on its way to the economic summit and Rean uses his awesome swordsman bullet-time vision to scope out who's inside, he has a reaction of surprise/concern when he sees Osbourne. What was that about? They knew that Osbourne was going to the conference, so his presence on the train couldn't have been a surprise. I thought it was going to be revealed that Rean saw something bad and then convinced himself it was nothing, then the train would arrive and they'd find out that Osbourne had been assassinated inside his private car, or that an enemy force had infiltrated the train and was running around doing dirt, but as far as I can recall there was never a payoff. Was Rean supposed to be reacting to something explicit, or was it just like "Oh man, politicians drinking tea and riding trains, it sure would suck if they got hit by a railgun shell"?
If I remember correctly, not only was Rean surprised that Bullet Time was happening at all, he was also surprised that Osbourne managed to look back at him before Bullet Time ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Azran posted:

"We won't takes sides in this war" *Pushes the Noble Alliance out of every major Eastern Erebonia city, then coordinates a multi-pronged assault on the capital with the RMP and the Imperial Army*
The way I see it, Class VII can't really be faulted for the Noble Alliance basically being Team War Crimes. They can, however, be faulted for not officially recognizing that and saying "You know what, the Noble Alliance is bad, actually, and they need to be stopped."

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Hopefully this is helpful and not just telling you stuff you already know, but when I played that minigame I failed a ton because I incorrectly thought that the game wanted me to predict the dance and press the button at the same time that she hit the ground. What it actually wanted was for me to react to the dance, and hit the button slightly after she hit the ground. Once I realized that I went from the same low hit-rate you're reporting to clearing the minigame in one or two more tries.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I think for me the thing that would've improved the CS3 ending is if Millium hadn't gone all-in on the fight. If she had quietly left the rest of the Ironbloods before the fight started or if she was still in the fight but had that status ailment that prevented linking, it would have gone a long way towards showing that she's not actually aligned with the Ironbloods.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Spoilers up through CS4:

Terper posted:

Dreichels was mentioned as early as SC, was consistently and constantly called back to, and his school motto is the defining tagline of the CS series. It's absurd to think of that as a retcon.
I think I could see it being something Falcom planned from early on, but to make it seem to players like it's not a retcon they would have had to do any work at all to set up the concept of reincarnation. It's possible I could have missed something in an earlier game, but the closest concept I can think of is Sky 3rd and Azure proposing that a soul might exist as a real thing after a person dies. As-is CS4 is asking you to accept both the idea that reincarnation is real and that Osborne specifically is literally Dreichels at the same time, which for me was a huge moment of "wait what the gently caress?"

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

GateOfD posted:

argh, what the hell am i suppose to do against this boss fight in Azure finale chapter

freaking Ariarhod. She just oneshots the whole party and I'm barely making a dent in her
Assuming you didn't trigger the phenomenon of complaining on the internet and immediately achieving your goal, here's my thoughts on how to deal with fights like that. Note that this setup can fairly easily trivialize most bosses, but since you're close to the end of the game that's probably less of a concern.
First and most obvious, have Tio in your party with Zero Field as her S-Break along with some combination of Gladiator equipment and food to quickly regen her CP. If she's at 200 CP and can get you two guards from Zero Field then you've got a ton more wiggle room to continue setting up for survival.

Next up, you'll want some way to forcibly move the boss around on the field. If you did the sidequest involving beating Lynn and Aeolia then Lloyd's spinning attack craft can use suction to pull smaller enemies around the field, and the Space art Dark Matter can also drag enemies around. You may also want to adjust your tactics to start most of your team off to one corner to make it easier to drag the boss to the opposite corner and away from your main group.

Finally, set up Lloyd (or Wazy, but in my opinion he's better off casting) to be a complete dodge tank. If you can get him to 100% evade then his attack doesn't matter, since all he needs to do is keep the attention of the boss directed on him. Note that casting arts completely negates the evade, so you can use him for buff support if he can get an art off before the boss can take their next turn, but if the casting time will put him after the boss then don't bother casting that round. As long as her attention is mostly on Lloyd and failing to hit him, the rest of your party can sling arts around to do actual damage.

For various other improvements to your characters you can go fight at least the lower level monster chests, because unlike what I recall from Zero the rewards here are actually good.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I've seen it show up on the left near the start of the path to Stargazers Tower, and on the road to Mainz near Crossbell city. Not sure what kind of load you need to make it show up if you don't see it.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Azure final boss:
The second part of the final boss (the first stage of the big monster fight after Mariabell) is basically a specialized test on quickly getting damage in. The four adds it spawns have their double physical/magical shields and replenish those shields if you don't kill them fast enough, effectively requiring you to focus down one at a time. This is further complicated by the fact that IIRC the main boss can absorb an add if the add gets low enough on health, or I think if the main boss itself is low on health. The main boss absorbing its adds is the key thing to prevent in this fight as best you can (though I think at least one absorption cycle is guaranteed), because for every add it absorbs it will regain 25% health once it "dies". Once you've killed off two or three of the adds (they don't respawn, so you can make permanent progress) it's not impossible to finish off the main boss before it can absorb the ones that are left, but you're guaranteed an eventual win as long as you can take out all four adds over time.

The second stage of the big monster fight is much more of a normal fight, although the main boss does pull out the occasional all-cancel and Vanish attacks which I never really figured out the trigger for, but as long as you can sustain yourself through the various Vanishings and other shenanigans it shouldn't be too unreasonable of a fight.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's where I'm fighting them more than anything which bugs me. (Reverie - Rean Act III Part 2) The watchtower was under continuous human occupation until 40 minutes ago. It shouldn't be this infested yet.

Also, I've reached the top of the watchtower and I'm missing one enemy in the highlands. I thought I was thorough checking, and it's the last enemy, so I don't know if I missed it or if it comes later. I do note that for some reason, I could not go to the Stone Circle, so it could be there. I just don't want to redo everything if I just missed something.
This answer is only to tell you whether or not you're missing anything: You are not, it'll get filled in later.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Speaking of the Reverie Finale (not the Coda, the climax of the Finale before that)...

How does Elysium, an AI capable of creating Lapis - an entity which is extremely good at emulating or experiencing human emotions – manage to have such a poor grasp on understanding humans?

This AI, it's so super-smart that it can accurately predict human behavior patterns well in advance, right? If the AI's goal is to bring peace to the world, WHY would it think that the right being for the job is the literal manifestation of human evil incarnate? A nihilistic being of hate and malice which only wants to destroy all. What part of that sounds like it would be a good shepherd to bring enlightenment and peace?
I was trying to pay attention to the final boss motive rant and such, but I didn't get that part.
My understanding is that in searching for more and more data Elysium accidentally found Ishmelga-Rean in his alternate timeline (or his outside of time void or wherever he "actually" was?), at which point he took over and kicked Lapis out. After that, he and Elysium sort of merged or corrupted each other or something to the point where their combined new goal became "Bring peace (by killing everybody so there's no conflict)".

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Thoom posted:

I'm pretty sure Ouroboros are genuinely trying to save the world from a real threat, they're just arrogant dickheads about it, and maybe misguided in their solution because they underestimate just how much the Power of Friendship can let you get through basically anything without significant casualties.
This is where I'm at as well, though my only real "evidence" is from the book 31 Cypress Trees from way back in Sky FC. I won't paste the full text, but the important bit is the last four segments:

31 Cypress Trees posted:

The good farmer Sheprott
In order to confect a single grand cypress
The good farmer Sheprott
Planted thirty-two cypress trees
The good farmer Sheprott
With his loving goodness for them all
The good farmer Sheprott
Brought thirty-one cypress trees to the depths of ruination
My assumption here is that the Grandmaster has (or possibly will have) access to the Sept-Terrion of Time, which is letting her enact a large-scale "ends justify the means" plan to just churn through timelines until she finds one that works.

As long as I'm throwing wild big picture theories out here, I might as well also throw out my biggest stretch of a thought: Based only on the fact that Campanella seems unaging and the fact that he's most often worked as an observer for the Grandmaster, I'm wondering if he might actually be (or be a part of or an aspect of) the Sept-Terrion of Time. By observing Ouroboros' plans and their results, he then facilitates the transfer of that knowledge to the Grandmaster so that she can make use of that knowledge if she needs to bail on the current timeline and try again.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I completely disagree that spontaneously appearing AI is "a free coincidence". The scene in the prison specifically invoked two major upheaval events: Mariabell turning all of Crossbell into a magic redirection machine, and the ancient curse that covered all of Erebonia and Crossbell. Both of those events are either directly related to Sept-Terrions or at the same level of power as Sept-Terrions, and I walked away from that scene thinking that it made perfect sense for them to have unintended consequences. Mariabell's shenanigans laid the groundwork for a major melding of magic and technology, and the power of the curse triggered and uplifted that groundwork into an unexpected entity.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

For anybody who's finished Kuro 1, I'm considering playing it now that I've finished Reverie, but to help make that decision I'd like to know (without any details, of course) what type of Trails ending it's closest to.
Is it like Zero (story and characters pretty much stable, with a few non-urgent questions to carry on into the next game), Sky FC (story more or less stable but with a massive character cliffhanger), or Cold Steel 1/3 (everything's hosed and I need to slam the next disc into my console right now)?

OddObserver posted:

Secondary master quartz also means you can stack two of magic ones easily ...I forget, do any games restrict reuse on secondary ones? It's been a while since CS3 and 4, at any rate, Reverie doesn't, and both Musse and Nadia have MQs that start with +45% crit on offensive magic as bonus 1 (and therefore active when secondary quartz), and without HP conditions or the like. Then Toval's MQ is increased damage for more EP, Mercurius is more spell damage for hitting weaknesses (and it provides lots of spells to hit those weaknesses).
I'm fairly sure in CS3 you could only assign a Master Quartz as a secondary to one single person. CS4 and Reverie then lifted that restriction, letting any number of characters use the same secondary MQ.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I got close to the final boss of Reverie's Coda, but I just lost enthusiasm for trying to get the B and C squads up to level 200-ish. I stopped after a failed attempt at Trial door 16, where I died after about 20 minutes trying to whittle down the combined 3,000,000+ HP the bosses had, and I got close... and died.
If it helps, 200 for everybody is way overkill for the Coda boss. Granted I played on Normal, but by the time I confronted it my main exploration team was just over 190, and my next highest character was only 166. I did die once, but it was very clearly my own fault for spacing out and not popping S-Crafts when the boss had a sliver of health and was charging up a very obvious super-move. Each of my teams had two Arts Nukers and one or two evasion tanks, and other than taking a while to chew through its health the fight was fine.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Also re-check the options after the prologue or so to see if anything jumps out at you after actually playing the game. In Kuro I found an option to toggle dash instead of holding the button, but I was in chapter 3 or so, so it took a while to reset my muscle memory for it.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Kuro/Daybreak Chapter 4: I haven't read 3&9, but based on the discussion, I'm assuming "The Garden" is where Swin and Nadia came from?

Also, am I supposed to know who these hooded people are? The cast seems to to have a guess.

Yeah, The Garden is where Swin and Nadia escaped from. As for the hooded people, if there was any information that could identify them when you first saw them then I missed it too. I'll use a separate spoiler just in case you don't want to know whether or not you'll learn more about them in this game: you will learn more as the game goes on.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I can't remember if I've talked about it in the thread before, but I think my biggest story complaint about CSIV was (spoilers for everything up through CSIV) the reincarnation stuff. Sky 3rd used the incredible power of a Sept-Terrion to say "Maybe souls exist, but maybe they don't. Who knows?" Azure followed that up with the final conversation with Guy, but that was also dancing around the concept of a soul by having him assume he's a creation made by KeA who was a Sept-Terrion But Better. As far as I can recall, no other game talks about soul stuff until CSIV Act 3 where Rose says "So as we all know, souls are 100% guaranteed real and get reincarnated" and everybody just nods along like "Yep, that's obvious, hurry up and get to the shocking part." Then as if that wasn't bad enough they had the gall to make Osborne literally the reincarnation of Dreichels, and the whole thing just shredded my suspension of disbelief. I'm really glad I loved Reverie and am enjoying Daybreak, because it makes it much easier to just acknowledge CSIVs reincarnation as my absolute low point of the series and move forward from there.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I appreciate when boss fights have a goal of taking out X% of the enemy HP. It seems like the best answer to me for bridging the gap between giving you a video game boss fight and having the story say that you're not quite ready to fully "win" against whoever you're fighting.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Daybreak story structure spoilers:
Me, a fool: The chapter named Finale already gave me a nighttime stroll and now I've finished the patrol of the entire city during the day. I might be able to finish the game today!
Daybreak, reminding me it's a Trails game: You've had one Finale, yes. But what about Second Finale? How would you like to rebuild your whole team one by one before even getting to set foot in the final dungeon?

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The final battle was actually kind of tough (the first tough fight in a really long time). Near the end they were hitting my party for like 8000-9000 (at a time when my characters are 10000-11000) and actually wiped out my 4 on-field characters near the end (and I finished the fight with the remaining 4). I think they may have had some sort of stacking buffs thing going on, since the damage near the end was way higher than early on.
Man, I don't know if you were built "correctly" for this fight or if my team is built poorly or what, but with my first attempt at it ending in abject failure I think I feel fairly confident in calling this fight absolute dogshit. Just pure garbage beginning to end. Summoning three adds that each have maybe a quarter of the main boss' health total, straight-up banishing party members with no way that I could see to prevent it (unlike Weissman back in Sky who at least had the loving decency to banish marked floor tiles), a party-wide stat down attack, everything about this piece of poo poo feels like it's designed to absolutely consume all the good feelings I had about this game. I'm sure once I calm down and take another look at quartz bonuses and arts I may have ignored I'll be able to put something together to get through the fight, and I'm sure once I'm past it my anger will fade and I'll be able to continue being happy with the game as a whole, but holy poo poo in the current moment I am absolutely furious at this loving rear end in a top hat of a boss. (edit) Ugh, I just remembered the three or four hit shield he put up near the end of that attempt. Motherfucker it took me everything I had just to barely take out a third of your goddamn health, what the gently caress do you think you're protecting yourself from? Certainly not me, that's for drat sure.

JavaJesus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 18, 2023

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

- I had Agnes' Arts casting with the Hollow Core that gives "more EP cost for more damage." Could probably substitute whoever you want to be your main caster. I had her doing at least around 15k.
- You want your Shard bonuses to align with whatever elemental Arts you're using the most for damage.
- You *really* want the Shard skill that follows up Arts attacks with an extra attack that Delays on your main caster. Not only is it a lot of extra damage, but it's also great for the combo multiplier.
I don't know if I've got a damage for EP exchange, but I do have damage for cast time with Cast quartz to offset it, a 50% chance for art crit, the art followup attack, the proper element boost, the proper element delay reduction, Agnes is absolutely built to hell and back. The only potential problem is that I went all-in on Jabberwock Arm, which is only now in this last fight hurting a bit on how much of the field the art covers. I might be able to retool her to a different element, but other than that she's a monster.

Ytlaya posted:

- Grendel does downright obscene damage with his S-Craft. I actually forgot to use it during the final fight like an idiot - would have been much easier if I did.
Hopefully this isn't some conditional thing and thus a spoiler for you, but I'm talking about the fight on the rooftop after the final dungeon, where I don't have access (as far as I can tell) to Grendel. On every other fight, Grendel (and Van himself to a slightly lesser degree) was handing out damage by the truckload.

Ultimately having had time to calm down and think about it, I think the main problem is the party-wide stat down attack. If I can prevent that or heal it faster/better than one person at a time, then everything else should be (knock on wood) fluff that I can handle as it comes up.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

And that's Daybreak finished! Overall I enjoyed the game a lot. As far as mechanics go, the new orbment system was real good once I started to really understand it and get enough quartz to play around with it, I enjoyed the option of on-field fighting (even if it did feel a little barebones and I never really like anybody's field attacks other than Van's), and I very much appreciated how far we've come from Sky in terms of clearly marking everything of interest and giving extremely clear indications of which actions would move the story along and kill all incomplete quests and such. Between this and Reverie I'm fully back on the Trails Train after the low point of CS4.

Regarding the final Daybreak boss, aggressive use of Plutus Nova was what won me the first phase of the fight, by nuking the main boss down while also clearing the field. He was so preoccupied with trying to banish my party members that I was able to get him down to the phase change threshold before he started fighting for real. Then the second phase gave me Van back, and between Grendel and having built Van to be an enemy hate target I was able to chew through the boss health fairly easily. I still don't think I like that boss in the end, but if one round of respeccing after seeing what it does was enough to get me a fairly easy win then I suppose I can't complain too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

For Reverie specifically, I do recall noticing that the voice acting felt like it was distributed much better than in previous games. Scenes may go silent earlier than you'd like, but I'm fairly confident that most, if not all, of the important/emotional scenes have full voicing for the most important/emotional parts, as opposed to scenes in earlier games where you'd have some characters voiced and some not across the same scene.