Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Some Numbers posted:

I've put this in the right folder twice and each time, if I open the game, the file disappears.
Put it in the folder pointed to by the "Save Folder" button in the Configuration Tool instead. Dropping files into the Cloud save folder usually doesn't work, but the "classic" save folder is used as a fallback when the slots aren't taken up by Cloud saves already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Cake Attack posted:

Who is your favorite Love Live

My favorite Love Live is SpaceDrake. He's so kawaii!

But seriously. Relieved this is out. I wrote up a blog so hopefully it gets posted soon.
I'll be stalking the thread to answer questions too, along with many others.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is there a way to import save data without owning FC on steam? I played it through on PSP.

Sadly there is no way to import from PSP to PC or vice-versa.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Ryuga Death posted:

All of my FC saves seem to be in the main Trails game folder and not wherever the configuration tool points to, will I have to change anything in order for SC to recognize where my save file is?

Move them to where the FC configuration tool points, and you'll be good.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Tamba posted:

There are no different endings, the only thing that changes is one scene at the end that changes with your bracer rank. And this time you need every single point for the highest rank.

This was about Brandish and its resting mechanic, not Trails SC, I'm afraid.

As far as SC goes, by the way, hopefully the last couple of patches have improved stability a bit. The XSEED Tumblr should be posting a blog entry by me shortly, too.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I want to point out again that SteamSpy numbers are woefully inaccurate in many cases, and this is one case where I would keep buckets of salt handy while interpreting them. Not to mention there's been a surprising amount of Steam->GOG converts for SC, if no one had noticed, and Steam is after all just one front on which the game is being sold. That said, even SteamSpy itself mentions how inaccurate it is below a certain number, and yet people keep treating it like the gospel it absolutely isn't. As a rule of thumb, SteamSpy should only be trusted with any game to any real extent if/when it displays at least 30K owners, but more realistically it only shows any real sense of accuracy/scale once it displays over 100K owners for a game. For some games these milestones are never reached for some reason even if they sell beyond that point. I'm not sure why, considering the way it gathers its data.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Slur posted:

None of us are saying that SteamSpy is an accurate way of converting over the sales of a product on Steam or not here, nor are any of us pretending to be financial experts due to it. However, as you implied there, the game has sold less than 100k copies. That's kind of unfortunate considering the 2-3 year localization cycle this was in, don't you think? And didn't FC sell 100k in 2 weeks?

Not what I am implying. Merely stating that SteamSpy itself hasn't gotten that data, regardless of how much or little the game has actually sold. I can't divulge numbers, so even if it had or has sold more than 100k, I wouldn't be able to actually say it, mind you.

I even outright said that sometimes SteamSpy doesn't end up getting those numbers regardless of the actual sales.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

So how many books are there in these games? I imagine 3rd due to its format has none, but I could be wrong. That sets us at 4 after FC SC and CS. How many new books in the crossbell games/cold steel 2?

AFAIK 3rd actually has most of the books from FC and SC hidden away in various capacities, plus one extra Liberl News that's about the end of SC. Otherwise it has nothing new, though.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 16, 2016

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I dunno what to tell you. With XSEED at least, it's the unadulterated truth. We don't get to so much as look in the general direction of anything until it's released in Japan, let alone.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

the state of Olivier

I'm calling Erebonia this from now on.

And yeah, FC & SC Evo have DLC for an original soundtrack toggle. I don't think the other Evolution titles did?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

So there's a question I've been having for a while, has anyone seen any substantial videos of FC/SC EVO around?

Like, I dunno, is simply no one recording them, or is there some sort of copyright taking down everything?

From what I've been hearing over time, it sounds like it's largely been the latter. I could be mistaken, though, and am not speaking in any official capacity when I say this either. But it is what I've gathered from some fans of the games.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
If he's using Intel graphics, or an Optimus-based laptop (which means the game will use the Intel graphics anyway, because Optimus doesn't support DX8 at driver level anymore), he needs to turn off the game's Hardware Vertex Shading. It's really unstable on Intel for some reason. Otherwise the games should usually be pretty darn stable these days.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 26, 2017

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Yeah, every time I went to upload a new build for GOG or Humble, the power went out. The Buffalo region (and other parts of west NY I think) was getting hit hard with power outages all day yesterday. A serious pain.

I'm going to upload new GOG builds ASAP, but I've heard that GOG is basically on vacation today, so I don't know how fast they'll go up.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Justin_Brett posted:

Having a SC save file doesn't do anything unless you got Max Bracer rank, right?

It does! The reward is just a bit less.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
You'll want to place the files in the Saved Games folder path even if you're using Steam in most cases. Editing/adding to the Steam Cloud folder directly is a crapshoot.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

RegalStar posted:

It's not terribly important anyhow. Helpful to use on early-game sepith bonus turns but once she gets her Moon Door 1 part 2 craft she will have no use for S-crafts or arts any more.

Depends. She actually makes a great backup healer in a pinch in certain situations. Particularly on higher difficulties, actually. You can't do that while using the Moon Door bonus.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Terper posted:

You mean someone went on the internet and told me a fib? Shameful.

Also, Chapter 1 done. :toot:

There are no obtainable books to collect, but if you read every book in the Garden when/while they're available, you get a reward.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Phobophilia posted:

How many battles before the font is active and lets you restore CP? I wanna safely spam crafts.

It doesn't take long at all. I forget which, but it was either 3 battles or 5.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

RegalStar posted:

It needs to be rank 3. (And there is no real need to spoiler her name considering that it's spoiled by the game at a number of locations like the loading screen or the Gralsritter book already)

The book spoilers have been cut down a bit at least.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

I saw something about there being a reward for never fleeing a battle, can anyone confirm if this is true and what the item is if so?

It's a Quartz. You can get it from the fountain in the final chapter if you have fought at least 300 battles and have never run away.
Alternatively, if you run away at least 300 times, you'll get a different one. They're mutually exclusive.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Cake Attack posted:

fun? fact, if you leave it until she learns bobcat 2 shell have it anyway

Based on how the game is coded, it's supposed to basically go "whichever one of these you do first gives Bobcat S-Craft, the second gives Bobcat 2".

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Not on topic to the CS3 stuff, but I'm really glad Cold Steel is finally out. That port felt like it had a bit of a troubled development, but Durante's involvement (Durante is awesome) helped it turn out really fantastic in the end. It feels like I'm going to have to live up to the quality of Cold Steel with my configuration tools in the future, if I can.

The reason I'm not posting this in the CS thread instead is that I wanted to say I'm already taking some small steps to at least try to bring the Sky trilogy to some level of parity with that awesomeness, although it's not much yet. The Steam versions of Trails in the Sky will no longer require Steam to launch from now on, just like Cold Steel, although Steam will still be required for Steam features of course. I'm definitely working on redoing the configuration tools too, but it's going to be a much longer process... as will adding more graphics options, though I do hope to someday!

As far as CS3 goes though, drat. Every single new release of info is making it look better and better and at this point I almost feel like some part of me is starting to go "Sure... but what's the catch?"

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

How difficult would bringing turbo mode to the sky trilogy be? I know the speed of the combat in those games can be a huge barrier to entry for a lot of people.
It wouldn't. The game engine has always supported it. I think I just never felt like it was the right kind of liberty to take, but given that it's a feature of our Cold Steel release now, I'll give it more consideration...

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Tae posted:

So what does changing the engine do?

Improves performance on some systems and allows Nvidia Optimus rigs to use their dedicated GPU. Nvidia deprecated support for DX8 on Optimus rigs at the driver level quite a while back, forcing Optimus users to use Intel for DX8 games.

Trails in the Sky were the only Falcom games on Steam/etc. without a DX9 graphics engine available as things were. Now it won't have to do without, either. I'm just hoping the DX9 engine will work well. This is my first time doing a conversion of that nature.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Bloodplay it again posted:

I bought Ys I/II+ and Oath from the Humble Store to try and scratch retro RPG itches. The only Ys game I played was a bit of III on the SNES ~22 years ago. I really appreciate the ability to switch between audio types, but I'm having some issues getting Ys I/II to run in a windowed screen. Everything's a little too big and strains my eyes fullscreen at 2560x1440, so I was hoping to get a windowed 1920x1080 going. In the launcher, if I uncheck the fullscreen box, regardless of resolution chosen, the window is the same size (which is a little smaller than 720) . I can manually resize, which stretches everything and makes it look pretty terrible. The only resolution this isn't true for is 2560x1440--when I select this resolution with fullscreen unchecked, the window takes up about 1/4 of my monitor and I can't see the top 1/6 or so of the screen. I checked PCGW and the only notable thing I saw there is to cap the frame rate at 60 fps because the game's incredibly difficult at higher refresh rates. Anyone have any suggestions? A file somewhere I could edit manually?

If you really want fullscreen at 16:9 you're going to need to set it to Chronicles display mode in the configuration tool instead of Complete or Auto. The original game (Eternal/Complete versions) was only made for 4:3, but Chronicles was originally made for PSP and has something closer to 16:9. It'll feel a bit blown up and zoomed in but it may be more to your liking.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I can confirm that XSEED is absolutely this adorable about stuff like this all the time.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

MythosDragon posted:

Is there a place to submit typos? I found this typo where Faye calls Brahm Bram while talking to everyone at the start of Chapter 2. I checked my FC screenshots to make sure she was calling him Brahm in those and she was, and talked to Brahm to make sure he didnt suddenly change his name and he didnt.
Steam forums, but the threads for typos in SC and 3rd are way more organized than anything in the FC forum.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
One could argue that the fact they're putting money into the situation at all indicates that it's somehow important to them. I've never really been a fan of them, mind you, and I'd love to get to work on Ys again someday. But if NISA felt no effect from this at all I doubt they would have done anything.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I actually added to the FC/SC music in doors feature in 3rd subtly. In the original Japanese version, only the battle music itself changed, but 3rd's victory music stayed. I decided to make it change in every way including victory music when I was working on things. I think it helped!

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Sakurazuka posted:

This sounds like an urban legend

You would really think so. It wasn't. But it was a PS3 bug (specifically with Disgaea D2) and what it actually did was managed to somehow trigger something that allowed the CPU to overheat beyond normal ranges. This rarely did worse than freezing the game/system, and only certain models were effected, but in theory it could have done real damage, and there is anecdotal evidence that it did damage some systems.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Erpy posted:

NISA promised Falcom a simultaneous release from the start, so any developer they picked would only be given as much time to do the porting as the translators were given to localize the whole thing. And given how shoddy the initial translation was, I doubt the localizers were given a lot of time to do a solid job. I don't disagree with you, but I think this was on the NISA management for boldly making an unrealistic promise rather than whatever studio they contracted in order to fit an 18-month job into a 10-month timetable.

Counter-point: Even if simultaneous, the smarter move to make would have been to wait until the port is done rather than only waiting until the translation is done. If they had a short schedule to work with no matter what, that makes it an issue either way, of course, but I don't think a simultaneous release alone means that the PC port had to suffer necessarily. I do wonder if they were on a short schedule by their own choice or if it was part of the deal, however. If by choice, then it was 100% their mistake. Of course, that's an if. I have no idea what their deal was.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
A bit late on this but I wanted to say that if someone doesn't like CS1's dub at the start they should definitely give it more time. The prologue was the first part recorded and everyone was just settling into their characters so everything was awkward and a bit off at the start.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
So yeah, don't blame Durante for any of this. I'm pretty sure he only got to give a look over it and give some advice, not actually work on it. Not shocked that he's as frustrated as others.

vvv Yeah, that too, as obvious by his comments. I just don't want people to think he did more than he did, given everything he really touches is solid platinum in my book.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 17, 2018

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Even I was hit by this several times. It's ridiculously brutal and exact; that's part of why we made 3rd's version of it so much easier!

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Honestly, Tom has always wanted to go back to Japan and live there. I don't think the kind of work he does is an important factor to him. He seems thrilled for this job.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

xylo posted:

You're not leaving right?

No. They are both dear friends to me, but XSEED is my home.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I long wanted to add the PSP voiceovers and BGM sets to the PC version of Oath in Felghana but had to do it the hard way, manually, so I put it on the backburner... and I'm glad you can all finally use them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

secretly best girl posted:

I stand corrected

Do you, though? Actually, I've been working really hard on trying to improve things in advance, but the reason Sky is marked unsupported right now is that the Configuration Tool won't launch on a Steam Deck at all right now. Valve is apparently looking into that part themselves.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 25, 2022