Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like the game with the silent dude and that blonde lady who keeps falling into pits.

I'm still working through the first Trails in the Sky so I won't be playing SC for a bit. Still glad it's coming out so soon, so I can stare at it in my steam wishlist.

edit: also, bring back Popful Mail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Friends, in the first Trails in the Sky, if I'm in the final chapter and about to sneak into a villa approx how much longer is the game? tia

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

SpaceDrake posted:

(Now, a question does come up about whether or not the $30 price point was the right call, and if people are somehow unwilling, in this sardine-packed, race-to-the-bottom market, or unable, in this grim, blasted, post-cyberpocalyptic hellscape of an economy, to pay that much for an 80-hour RPG with some of the best writing in the business. If the answer to either or both is "yes", then that's... something to digest for drat near all of us, still involved with Trails or no, but also something that'll just need to be tackled going forward.)

Or in my case it's being willing and able to pay 30 for an 80 hour rpg but I already have so many games on my plate that I haven't finished (including the first trails) that it didn't make sense for me to buy it at launch. I'll get it and play it eventually but it might not be for a while.

Or I should stop buying so many long RPGs.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Finally finished Trails in the Sky the first. That's quite the cliffhanger!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Some Numbers posted:

Luckily, you don't have to wait multiple years for the resolution.

I'm not going to play part 2 until I finish Cold Steel and Xenoblade X. And Dark Souls 3 and Fire Emblem Fates.

so, multiple years

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Fine I just bought SC. I was gonna play cold steel first because I already had it and played the first dungeon.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Cake Attack posted:

i mean do whatever you want, i am just a guy on the internet, but cold steel does spoil some stuff and there's a bunch of references to Sky that i think will come across oddly if you've played FC but not SC compared to if you'd played both or neither.

Nah its cool. I was kind of wary of starting cold steel when I saw Olivier in the opening movie.

I'm mainly worried about it taking me a year to finish SC since it took me so long to finish the first one and that one is half as long.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just checked and I put in 47 hours for FC. I bought it December 23rd, 2014. Though I did stop playing it for a long time because there was a graphics bug that made it all stuttery and it took xseed months to patch it out.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like how in the Trails games whenever the characters are doing a thing and I have a question or concern about something a character would usually pipe up with the exact question or concern I had. Even if it's something mundane like hey can they really leave that septium vein reader thing sitting in the middle of a cave? Won't monsters get to it?

This series is made entirely of little things that other games ignore.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
In chapter 8 of Trails SC and this game is up and down. I liked the smaller scope of FC a lot more, this whole secret society full of stereotypes is boring. And the encounters range from easy to extremely annoying, especially in the beginning and end where lots of enemies self heal and call in allies. Now I have to deal with every status effect being thrown at me and I only have 1 equip slot to put something in. If a character dies it's hard to res them and get them back to health without them dying again. Multiple bosses in a row with no way to heal or change gear between them is also annoying.

I still like the game but FC was more enjoyable.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

Is that on Normal Difficulty?
It might also depend on your setup though, for me at that point in the game I was cheesing all the fights with S breaks at the start of the fight, when I played it again on NG+ without the S break cheesing it was quite hard yes.

Reviving characters has always been a huge pain, even with (essentially unlimited celestial balms) because of the placement, move, and lost CP.

It is on normal, and I can't really cheese s-breaks because it's a right chore to get the CP built back up when I'm one shotting all the random mobs on my way around the map. It's really only the bounties and bosses I'm having issue with at the moment.

It also took away the two characters I've been building up for story reasons :( Right now I'm using Estelle, Joshua, Sherazard, Zane. Art enablers on Estelle and Shera

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Really Pants posted:

use Agate

cook up lots of Tomatrio Sandwiches for CP if it takes too long to farm

any ailment-cancelling accessories you find in a dungeon will give away the ailments used by the dungeon boss

SC has only three multiple-stage boss fights

if you don't have the Grail Locket by now I feel bad for you son

also, use Agate

I have a grail locket, just one, and estelle is wearing it. I'll try making some sandwiches.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I finally finished SC and I started Cold Steel. The slight variations in quartz names and colors is throwing me off. Mind 1 should be blue!

I see I can get relationship links with characters by spending time with them but I can also spend time with non-party members like the student council president. Is it worth spending time with regular NPCs or should I prioritize the members I'm gonna use? And are there any characters that are bad and I should ignore?

Thanks in advance and god bless.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
thanks for the info. Sara seems fun so I was gonna hang with her.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm at the beginning of Chapter 5 in Cold Steel and so far I don't think I like it as much as Sky. The structure of the game (class day -> free day + school dungeon -> practical exam -> field study -> repeat) makes it feel routine instead of fresh and interesting, and the school setting doesn't feel like it has any meaning, especially the links since you just get a ton of points as part of the story anyway. And the story itself is kind of weird, throwing 2 new characters at me so close to the end of the game (been looking at a quest list so I don't miss anything so I know how many chapters there are) and it just seemed to meander about up until the end of chapter 4. I know Sky FC took a while to get going but even then it got my attention even when nothing was going on.

It also feels sluggish in menus and the animation is bad (those after battle fist bumps, yikes). I know Falcom games aren't known for the amazing graphics but I'm no animator and I've done better messing about in source filmmaker.

As for combat, it was kind of difficult at first but now I'm going through pretty much every battle by mashing attack. When it's a boss I buff everyone then mash attack. Or use an S-Craft and kill everything at once. Hopefully the battles start to require some strategy soon.

The characters themselves aren't as interesting as in Sky either. Some of them like Fie subverted tropes enough that I enjoy them but everyone else is pretty one note with a sad/tragic/bad past and these characters dont get along, now these ones dont, and now these two are in a thing. Rean himself is the worst offender, I mean just look at him

I know it sounds like I'm harping on the game but I still enjoy it, I just don't think it's as good as Sky was.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope so.

Are the crossbell games any good? I know they're not getting localized but I wanna know if I'm missing anything or not.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Endorph posted:

rean actually grows as a character and also demonstrates traits that explain why he is the protagonist and the leader. he's got a good head on his shoulders, is diplomatic, knows how to work with the people around him, etc.

estelle's growth is kind of just off-screen inbetween games and everyone just acts like she's a complete incompetent moron until she doesn't, and she kind of just beats stuff over the head with a stick until she's the defacto protagonist.

estelle's a really fun character mind but a lot of the writing around her is weird and it detracts from her role as the main character of the sky games, and more than that a lot of her involvement in the main plot is like a step removed from the actual plot? like she cares about a thing because it affected joshua, or an antagonist cares about her because she's related to cassius, or whatever. it never feels like she's the star of her own show. rean has several plot beats, characteristics, and relationships that tie him directly to the main thread of the story.

Rean is generic good hearted everyone likes him leader of the pack mysterious past protagonist. And he looks stupid

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zaggitz posted:

Dude is sitting here talkin about Estelle sucks because shes in everyone's shadow until she isn't when thats literally her character arc, is stepping out of her father and her brother's shadows and making a name for herself.

Oh I forgot, I gave a pass on the Estelle/Joshua thing because Joshua felt more like a foreign exchange student than a brother but this Rean/Elise thing is no good

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
We can all agree that Cassius has a dumb mustache.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I realize this is a big ask but it would be nice if Cold Steel had different scenes after a boss fight depending on how it went. In the practical exam for chapter 6 they played it up big like oh no, gotta challenge Sara, shes so strong, but the battle went

BATTLE START
Rean -> Use battle scope
Laura -> 200cp S-Craft (with her auto str buff and domination orb)
BATTLE END

and the next scene is everyone going huff puff wow we barely scraped by that one! Yikes!

Of course Sara sticks Laura in group B after that :( The only time I can use my team (Fie, Laura, Elliot, Emma) is in the old schoolhouse. I wanna see how many more bosses I can one shot.

On a different note, there are orbs that claim they make enemies seek you out/run from you but I haven't noticed any difference when using them. Are they bugged? If not, what is it supposed to do?

And earlier on in the thread I was talking about how the story wasn't doing it for me. Turns out it started getting interesting in these later chapters and I do want to know where it goes but I heard CS1 ends on a cliffhanger so I'm expecting I won't find out until I finish part 2.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah Rean is mandatory but I usually don't have him in my active party unless Laura is unavailable.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Whenever I think of rpg battle theme this is always the one that pops into my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jONfsUCAARE

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The last thing I want in an RPG is for the final boss to have an insane amount of HP. The last few bosses in SC were like that, I figured out the strategy and was able to keep myself alive no problem but the fights went on forever and it was a drag. And then there were more forms of the same thing. More HP doesn't equal tough fight.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Looks like I'm gonna finish Cold Steel 1 and have a couple weeks to cool down before playing 2. I still feel like I'm hot off SC.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So can I play Cold Steel without spoiling anything in Sky SC, or do I need to beat both of the Sky games first? I'm playing FC right now.

There's like, 1 or 2 spoilers for the Sky series that I can remember. Nothing super huge. Cold Steel is mostly its own thing with characters occasionally referencing things from Sky.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Did they ever give out a date for Xanadu Next?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I just finished Cold Steel and here are my Video Game Thoughts

Class VII's concert was terrible. The mics/guitars weren't plugged in and the choreography didn't even match the music. They hyped it up so much too.

And the whole Crow/C thing felt contrived as all heck. As soon as they starting going "hey, where's Crow?" and mentioned he was going to see the speech in person I figured out that he shot the airship down but I didn't guess he was C. The first letter of Crows name is C so I guess it all fits. It was an alright story but that ending was kind of sudden.

And it does the thing with the villain who just revealed that they were a villain so they start to talk all smarmy when they didn't before. I hate that.

Also millium sucks.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Amppelix posted:

This deserves to be unearthed from underneath the spoilers so I can mock it in public. Boo! Booooo!

I dislike the trope she belongs to, but her positivity is infectious and I just can't hate her.

You know, I think I can say that about almost every character in this game. Terrible first impressions, everyone is a cliche storm, this is all bad, oh wait I love everyone now.

She reminds me of Tiny Tina

edit: i hope Becky is a party member in 2. Becky and Super Niece.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 19, 2016

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I never skipped battles and fought every enemy I came across, except for in the Nord Highlands. I just wanted to be done with it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It was kind of messed up that I couldn't afford to buy new armor and weapons for 4 party members without having to spend 10 minutes cooking Warm Egg Soup.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Does Cold Steel 2 force members on you like in the field studies or can you just pick anyone?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zaggitz posted:

For those of you like me who absolutely need to ocd over getting all the books and quests/AP. Here's a CS2 guide by the same peeps who did that great CS1 platinum guide.

Thanks for this. I don't like how Falcom hides their sidequests so I like knowing where they all are. I used the guide for Cold Steel 1 and it was good.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I appreciate that CS2 has a full color manual just like CS1 did, even if I'm gonna quickly leaf through it and never look at it again.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

And done with FC. Already got SC installed... what's the recommended difficulty if I'm generally decent at JRPGs but don't want to grind or have to min/max?

As far as the ending of FC goes: Did not see the Professor Alba/Weissmann stuff coming. Had a vague idea Joshua's background would be something like that (though I was picturing maybe slightly less murdering than he did - literally "murdering someone every day" is insane). I liked Cassius' heroic last minute arrival, was glad that Colonel Richard might potentially be able to redeem himself, and yeah. All in all, a satisfying ending, not at all inconclusive like I expected it to be given how people say FC/SC are basically just one long game split in two. I mean, I get it given the cliffhanger, but it did resolve its stuff in large part. It's more like the first volume of a typical lengthy fantasy book series than anything else.

I'd start on Normal. SC is weirdly difficult in spots, especially at the beginning where you're gonna go up against enemies that heal themselves, call reinforcements, and explode upon death. And the chapter 3 boss rush sucks.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Was gonna complain about Fie's outfit but then I noticed Gaius is wearing some denim chaps held up onto his shirt by some ornate clasps, and also he has shoulder belts. Traditional Nord wear.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I didn't get the bonus AP for the watchtower boss fight and I thought about reloading but that would involve quitting and relaunching the game and then sitting through long, unskippable cutscenes again.
If I can miss one book in CS1 then I can deal with this.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Everything about McBurn is the worst thing. I can't even take him seriously. He has to be an ironic inclusion.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm still plugging away at cs2 also. I just got some fancy ore if that tells how far along I am.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Any reason to get Fie's evade over 100%? I got it to 110% and thought maybe she's like super-evade and the enemy would hit itself but nope.

This is at the expense of her other stats though. She's impossible to hit with physical attacks but her damage output is just ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I gave her Wrath but I think I have tauros on Laura, the one that does more damage at the cost of speed.

I threw literally everything DMG related I could on Laura. Attack quartz, waterfall, double damage on first hit, str boosting accessories. My boss strategy so far has been buff Laura's str and then have her use her 200cp s-craft and either one shot it or do a whole lot of damage. If I see a crit spot on the turn list I will skip her turns until I can s-craft on it.