Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

.....But why?

Because they are in a key strategic location with respect to Russia and the Middle East. The US will look the other way on a whole load of poo poo before they'll consider giving that up, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Assuming we see a GOP President, would the Tea Party and business/establishment factions quickly fall in line and start passing all sorts of bad legislation, or would there still be disagreements and in-fighting internal to the Republicans, similar to what we saw with Cantor v Obama's Grand Bargain and this whole Speaker debacle, that would otherwise prevent the country from being turned into a reactionary hellscape by Christmas 2017?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

I just realized that Trump's anger translator would be Andrew Dice Clay.

E: Clinton's would probably be Lena Headey for office meetings and Melissa McCarthy for press conferences. Bernie's would have to be Lewis Black.

Why would Trump and Bernie need anger translators? They're already mad! Enough with the drat emails!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Things that are not going to happen in American politics: EV-by-district becoming widespread, abolishing the EC, a deadlocked convention, an Article V convention, one of the two parties splintering, Donald Trump winning a nomination.

Is there a difference between a "deadlocked" convention and a "brokered" convention?

It's my understanding that a deadlocked convention can't happen because there are enough votes that can be decided going into it that a candidate would bubble-up for better or worse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

They'll just merge with r/ronpaul

Why do people keep comparing Sanders to Ron Paul when Larry Lessig is right there?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

What are you responding to? :psyduck:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Liberals have always handed the guns over to the right whenever the left seems to be gaining power.

Crowsbeak posted:

Which is why I am so adamant against gun control. When those in power start going for guns they do so to disarm those who have nothing left but guns. The New Dems want us to be consumed by culture war wedge issues rather then what really matters, the ability of our citizens to stay above water and our ability to prevent collapse due to their paymasters. Its time we told them to gently caress off to Bloomberg.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

In my defense i was alluding to the social democrats not supporting the Spartacus or Bavarian uprisings in 1919 Germany.

I was thinking about Operation Gladio myself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

Has anyone considered that the president using time travel to rewrite the timeline in order to kill baby Hitler is just another example of flagrant executive overreach?

When a Republican President does it, it's not flagrant nor overreaching.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Istvun posted:

If you can't transfer the detainees to the states Obama's plan is obvious. He intends to transfer them to DC.

Why else would a bunch of contractors been working on the Capitol rotunda?

Wasn't that one of the reasons for making the capital not a state?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

If I failed as much at my job as much as DWS has as the head of the DNC, i wouldn't be employed.

Seriously. They even teach you in a corporate environment to not to be so negative. Things are "challenging" instead of "difficult". Situations are "in progress", issues can be "escalated", and problems can be "long-running"

If I emailed the client telling them that "the servers are gone, the routers are damaged, the gremlins are winning" I'd be out on my rear end so fast.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Well, much like government isn't a business, neither is scaremongering in the service of fundraising.

Does that really work, though? Like, shouldn't your message be more positive, "kick Republican rear end" type of thing? Granted, Rand already used the SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY schtick.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I saw on facebook that Ronda Rousey has endorsed Bernie Sanders.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cheesus posted:

The Kentucky elections are barely a week behind us we still think that there's no way, zero-chance, never-in-a-million-years that the American people won't vote for Trump, Carson, or a half-empty box of cereal over Clinton/Sanders?

Off-year elections are different from Presidential elections, so yes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hitlery KKKlinton.

Bernie Sanders more like Bernie PANDERS amirite

Actually, what sort of cheap digs did Bill Clinton get?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

Apparently I am going to meet O'Malley Thursday night. What should I ask him?

If he has stairs in his house, of course.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

This is really where my concern lies. When a major, possibly country wide small-arms attack occurs, the country is going to go insane. So insane, that it might be right to start worrying about pogroms, after the landslide Republican election it would cause. I mean, you already have Trump calling to shut down Mosques, and it's a quick trip to burning them down in the night.

You gotta figure that Daesh knows that this is what's going to happen, and I'm uncomfortable with the thought that they're planning an attack on the US in an attempt to trigger it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

Man, what is up with Bill Maher? He seems to be getting more crotchety as he gets older. He was on Colbert tonight and absolutely trashed Colbert's Catholicism. Yes, yes, Maher's super anti-religion, that's his main schtick and all, but he would show some sense of cordiality when he was on another person's show at the very least. And on last week's episode, he keeps bringing up these inane strawmen that the left doesn't attack the lovely things that radical Islam does like female circumcision, and killing the gays cause of "political correctness". Like, seriously Bill? Seriously? :psyduck:

Bill Maher is extremely bad, he just also happens to make fun of conservatives/Republicans at the same time so he flies under some peoples' radars.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Could someone tell me why it's stupid to be wary of refugees when one of the Paris bombers was disguised as a refugee?

Legitimately asking, I usually respect the opinions here but I can totally see why Americans are no longer interested in getting involved in this crisis.

It's discrimination, it is a disproportionate response, and it plays into the narrative that Daesh themselves wants the West to fall into to further their own goals.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I thought this was going to be a Pacquiao reference.

Monkey Fracas posted:

How have Conservatives gotten more xenophobic over time?

We... we must purge our ranks of those who would speak kindly of what is becoming a larger voting block by the year!!! Goddammit we gotta do it guys c'mon!

They had one shot at expanding the definition of 'white man' to include just enough more people that they wouldn't need to keep pandering to a voter base that keeps getting smaller and keeps demanding more and more insanity.

They decided not to do it.

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't Obama saying AUMF 2002 counts against ISIS?

Only because Congress wouldn't give him a newer AUMF (because what Obama wanted was too limited if I'm not mistaken)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tough posted:

lol at everyone in this thread losing their poo poo over all this. Have you guys been under a rock for the last few decades? This is minor league stuff for the GOP

The people who would be most affected by these policies haven't really had time to acclimate themselves to the GOP

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's just so many layers to the whole "refugees/Syrians/Muslims shouldn't have guns" thing

If you're still afraid of them despite the fact that you already have your own guns, what does say about your confidence in your ability to defend yourself with your own guns?

If "an armed society is a polite society" is taken to be true, shouldn't we let them have those guns in order to make sure the society isn't rendered impolite by the sudden influx of non-gun-owners?

If the 2nd Amendment was created in order to allow people to resist government tyranny, shouldn't they be afforded access to guns in order to resist a (state) government that would want to throw them out? Aren't these refugees textbook examples of people who lacked guns and subsequently experienced tyranny as a result, therefore making them potentially really responsible gun owners for being cognizant of the need for the 2nd Amendment?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fade5 posted:

The other thing that gives me pause about Trump is that it's not like he hasn't left openings to attack him, it's that the other candidates didn't go after him when he gave those openeings.

When Trump said some anti-Vaxx poo poo at one of the debates, I was expecting him to get slammed hard for it by the other candidates, but Carson and Paul just sort of equivocated and let it go by. That was a perfect opening to hit Trump when he over-extended, and yet everyone else up there just let him get out of his blunder intact.

If nobody's going to actually attack Trump, then you're relying on Trump self-destructing (looking much less likely) or the base/voters getting bored with him (we're four months in, and they're not bored yet, and Iowa grows closer by the day).

It's sort of like the GOP not going after Obama for things that he should be legitimately criticized for: they won't because they agree with him.

Trump didn't get attacked for the anti-vaxx poo poo because they turned it into a partisan issue and took the anti-vaxx stance because of the link between vaccinations and the government, even though anti-vaxx crosses over to nuts on both sides of the political spectrum. They can't take that back anymore because it'd make them look like they were agreeing with the Democrats.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

Am I really suppose to compare 100 page PDFs for different companies?

It's like making a character build and requiring system mastery. For your life.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man this Thanksgiving is going to be excruciating for you people, won't it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wait, wait, Karl Rove is saying it's too close to call!

This will never get old :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rygar201 posted:

I knew some people who preferred to use Mondays or Celebrities as their totally not racist euphemism for blacks.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/07/26/leominster-police-officer-fired-for-racial-slur-against-carl-crawford/

quote:

LEOMINSTER (CBS) – The Leominster police officer accused of aiming racial slurs at Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford was fired Thursday.

Officer John Perrault allegedly called Crawford a “Monday,” a seldom-used racial slur, during a minor league game in New Hampshire on July 5.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...Z4NO/story.html

quote:

When news emerged earlier this month that Boston Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford said he’d been called a racial epithet by an off-duty Leominster police officer before a minor league game in New Hampshire, reaction was swift. After an internal investigation, which turned up additional racist comments, the Leominster mayor fired the officer on Thursday.

But the epithet itself still has sports fans and commentators scratching their heads. Allegedly, the officer called Crawford, who is black, “Monday.” Monday? The day of the week? Is this really an insult, and one that has anything to do with race?

It turns out that the answer is yes—and that it is hardly the only secret ethnic or racial slur in English. Mild-mannered language has long provided cover for vitriolic speech, with everyday words pressed into service to lend a kind of plausible deniability. Such code words require shared recognition among the in-group, while, in principle, leaving the targets of the slurs unaware of the game. In fact, it’s only because the officer was breaking those implicit rules, and allegedly using a “secret” offensive term to address a sports celebrity, that he ended up in trouble—and that the coded use of “Monday” is suddenly out in the open.

After the “Monday” incident came to light in a postgame press conference with Crawford on July 5, local reporters scrambled to figure out the word’s hidden significance. “I can understand how it could become a put-down,” said Michael Holley, co-host of “The Big Show” on the Boston sports radio station WEEI. (Holley, who is black, has lived in Boston for 15 years.) “How did it become a racial slur?”

That remains mysterious. Certainly, the police officer didn’t invent this usage himself: On the Urban Dictionary website, which aggregates user-generated definitions of slang, one entry defines “Monday” as “Another way of saying [the N-word] without getting caught.” Another person even claims it “originated in Boston,” though other online commenters peg it to the East Coast more generally. Finally, a third definition offers an explanation of “Monday” as an insult, though no hint of why it would be connected to race: “Everybody hates Mondays,” the contributor writes.

This usage of “Monday” began to be recorded on Urban Dictionary in 2006, and it first made an appearance in the online Racial Slur Database two years before that. But it was the popular comedian Russell Peters, a Canadian of Indian descent, who put “Monday” on the map. In a January 2008 standup routine for Def Comedy Jam (widely circulated on YouTube), Peters tells of a Bostonian referring to blacks as “Mondays” and giving the same bigoted clarification that “nobody likes Mondays.” “White people are getting real...clever with their racism,” Peters jokes ruefully.

“Monday” is only the latest in a long line of covert racial slurs. In a 2004 paper called “Dining while Black: Racial Rituals and the Black American Restaurant Experience,” the sociologists Danielle Dirks and Stephen K. Rice analyzed “backstage race talk” among white restaurant servers. The most popular code word for black customers, they found, is “Canadians,” typically explained by the stereotype of both Canadians and blacks being bad tippers. Other covert terms for blacks noted by Dirks and Rice include “cousins,” and—for maximal misdirection—“white people.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What happened to Nintendo Kid?

Someone tell Kasich that Radio Free Europe still exists.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fox Ironic posted:

These handful of radicalized groups THEN get EXCLUSIVE media attention, crowding out civil rights protesters in the media narrative and suddenly everybody and their grandmother think BLM is a Black Supremacy Movement that wants to legally privilege Blacks over Whites, which nobody in their right minds has any idea how to respond to without compromising the movement's momentum and suddenly, whelp, everything's gone to poo poo and I don't know what the gently caress is going to happen now.

I don't think it's an accident that the fringe of the movement gets the media attention, because it lets the movement as a whole be portrayed as a radicals that are dangerous and are not making good faith demands.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to tell us that the footage could have been erased by mistake, thus by asking the cop to be charged with obstruction we're calling for an unconstitutional special standard for law enforcement, therefore it's a violation of the cops' rights to ever try them for this sort of thing, and so on and so forth.

Your cynicism saddens me, VitalSigns. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

Failing that, I hope you have access to alcohol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

Agnosticism is the morally correct position, imo

Maybe the big bang was caused by some greater being, maybe not, whatever, I keep an open mind about it

Were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ripoff posted:

Do you think Matt Drudge jacks off when he posts a witty, racist-as-all-hell headline?

Also when he posts about Martin O'Malley

• Locked thread