Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

Thompson was minority counsel to the Senate Republican during the Watergate hearings.

Nixon was disappointed with the selection of Thompson, whom he called “dumb as hell.” Nixon did not think Thompson was skilled enough to interrogate unfriendly witnesses and would be outsmarted by the committee’s Democratic counsel.

This assessment comes from audiotapes of White House conversations recently reviewed by the Associated Press at the National Archives in College Park, Md., and transcripts of those discussions published in Abuse of Power: The New Watergate Tapes, by Stanley Kutler.

“Oh, poo poo, that kid,” Nixon said when told by his chief of staff, H.R. Haldeman, of Thompson’s appointment on Feb. 22, 1973.

“Well, we’re stuck with him,” Haldeman said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

I think some are coming now. A friend's church is currently doing a donation drive to completely outfit a house for a family of refugees they have been working to get into the US.

I'm giving them a Cuisinart.

It's about 10,000 annually currently but the administration is upping that number slightly

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ghetto Prince posted:

When I was renting I just ran a coax cable from my TV to the the cable box in the alley. It's not hard or anything, you just plug it in, takes like 30 seconds.

Post name combo

Trump said that Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a "highly neurotic" woman, "crazy" and a "terrible person" yet he says she still managed to negotiate a better deal for debates than the RNC did :allears:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Does it already get audited like multiple times per year? Is this the common GOP belief that if no wrongdoing was found, the investigation never took place?

The Fed got audited as part of Dodd-Frank, you can read the whole thing right here. Really thrilling stuff.

Litany Unheard posted:

There are a number of exceptions written into law that protects information from being released/disclosed by an audit of the Federal Reserve. Here's what's currently excluded from an audit:

I suppose the argument for keeping this info privileged is that the Fed needs to do some things behind closed doors in order for their actions to be effective, or so that their actions can be done free from too much political pressure.

It's important to keep things like open market operations and member bank reserves etc confidential because those things, if public, could cause a loss in confidence in the banking system and lead to a panic or a run on a specific institution. The confidentiality wrt transactions with foreign central banks is probably there for a similar reason but for stability in the currency markets.

e: Bernouts if you like reading that audit you can thank Bernie Samblers for that he's the one who tacked it on

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kalman posted:

Due process does not and never has required judicial process in all cases. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. This conception that "something happened without a court therefore no due process" is, legally speaking, completely wrong.

For example: Do you think that the VA has to go to court when they want to take a veterans' benefits away? No, they just do it. There are judicial avenues for appeal (and the lack of those mechanisms for the no fly list was successfully challenged), but there's absolutely no requirement for an initial judicial determination to exist for due process to be satisfied.

I think the main confusion in this discussion has been a conflation of procedural due process and substantive due process. But maybe also whether the procedure for the watch list counts as due process. I think. I scroll past fishmechchat and gunchat because both are terrible but that was my impression from what I accidentally read

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

smg77 posted:

Was there some sort of falling out between Karl Rove and the Bush family? I've been wondering why he hasn't been working for team Jeb!.

Politico and all but Rove and Jeb! have a historical rap beef

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Maybe they base their opposition to abortion on the hadith (jk that's to the left of the mainstream GOP on abortion)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Armyman25 posted:

Obama completely bungled his handling of Syria. If he felt that he needed to have congressional authorization prior to using military force against Assad he should have had that lined up prior to drawing a red line in the sand. While it was pretty funny for him to punt the responsibility for military action to the Congress, it was a simple case of passing the buck after his bluff was called. The whole thing made him look incompetent, and made the US look weak in the process.

Seemingly everyone (willfully?) forgets that the infamous "red line" comment was an off the cuff response to a question some worthless reporter asked, which imo, is a bad thing to predicate a military intervention on. Also Congress deserves to have the buck passed to them because they're too dysfunctional to even pass an AUMF against ISIS while gnashing their teeth about the response to ISIS.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

My biggest criticism is that Obama was very reluctant to provide support early on in the revolution before Syria got flushed with Islamist groups. This was the course of action recommended by at least the ambassador to Syria and I believe our intelligence services. However following Benghazi and Republicans whining he back off from doing anything until a few months/years later after Al-Nusra showed up and other similar groups flush with Saudi & Gulf States cash and took over the opposition forces which made it looks like any opposition to Assad was Taliban V2.

No guarantee an intervention would have worked out that well, Syria was p much guaranteed to be a failed state after the war heated up. Optimistically it would wind up being a perpetual low intensity civil war like Libya is if Assad was toppled, which I guess is better than the status quo. But even if an intervention worked well it would definitely have hosed up detente with Iran, which I feel is more important in the long run. By the time the "red line" became an issue Syria was already proper hosed with Salafis everywhere anyway

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Is this a thing that's ever happened?

Sealing warrants esp in high profile cases like this is not uncommon (DA in Arapahoe moved to seal the warrants related to the Batman shooter as well) and not publicly speculating on motive is pretty common as well. The former because an unarrested accomplice could get notice and destroy evidence before the warrant is executed, the latter to have an untainted jury pool as possible/covering rear end for possible misconduct allegations/not say something that will come and bite them in the rear end later PR-wise (like when they said the motive for that guy murdering 3 Muslims was a parking dispute, did not work out well). But it's understandable why to view this with suspicion

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh so it's basically standard procedure?

Yeah pretty much. Hell they didn't even decide on a motive for the Sandy Hook shooter after a year or two of investigation (though I personally felt it wasn't that hard to reckon from the evidence collected)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

If the PP shooter is assessed as incapable of standing trial then there won't be a trial, right? He won't get his day in court and the media can ascribe any motives they like to him. Is that correct?

This is extremely unlikely to happen, but if he is ruled incompetent to stand trial then they'll pump him full of pills and counsel him on what the trial would involve until he is fit. This happened to Loughner.

Fried Chicken posted:

a post about history of monetary policy books that is really long

I have some primary sources from the relevant eras if you're interested in that

Amergin posted:

Out of left field: Does anyone know a way to get information on a company (such as executive compensation, number of employees, other seemingly basic things) if the company has made use of the "safe harbor" SEC rule 506?

EDIT: D&D is probably not the place for this question but you're good people.

Work for their accounting department. Or the IRS and audit them. Sue them in a relevant manner and conduct discovery. Ask them. The whole point of the safe harbors is so they don't have to do detailed financial disclosures and some of that information you want isn't even required to be disclosed. Executive compensation (ratio of executive compensation to median employee salary) won't be required until 2017 because the previous rule got struck down. Alternatively if they solicit your investment and you are not a millionaire they would have to disclose the general information expected in a prospectus which often includes number of personnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The attempted ratfucking of Trump begins

• Locked thread