Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

"Cimbal, a loyal Republican, wants people to think about how to curb illegal immigration and protect Second Amendment gun ownership rights, but she’s mainly drawn to Trump because she thinks his plain talk can get things done. Her goal is to restore a time “when there wasn’t as much animosity toward each other, when everything wasn’t about race and people just got along.”"

I must have missed that day in history class where we learned about the era of racial harmony in America...

When people say this they really mean "I want black people to shut up about racism forever" and the time they want to return to is "before Obummer was elected and divided America by setting off my bigotry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@daveweigel: Reps from Graham, Santorum and Jindal campaigns say they’ll argue for two debates of 7 randomly chosen candidates at tonight’s meeting.

:lol: why are they even bothering

Remember when Walker dropped out and requested that others do the same to "clear the field," presumably so Jeb could gain on Trump and Carson? That was funny.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

greatn posted:

Oklahoma Mayor apologizes as her husband dresses as a KKK member for Halloween.

http://ow.ly/U8QiK

I'm eagerly awaiting the annual post-Halloween wave of influential and powerful people stupid enough to believe wearing blackface is OK.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@ppppolls: Jindal>Bush in our new Iowa poll

:eyepop:

His rollout of the new slogan "Jeb can fix it" isn't cutting it apparently.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

How many times a day do you think Jeb mutters "It wasn't supposed to be like this" under his breath?

He just looks drained now. Every photo of him lately has a middle-distance stare and a fake smile like someone's jamming a gun into his back.

Does anyone think he's gonna stick with this if he starts polling in Scott Walker territory and gets demoted to the kiddie debate?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@costareports: SCOOP: Trump to deal directly w/ networks, blowing up group GOP debate effort, with @daveweigel https://t.co/3bwnsMP1mG

Hahahaha what a goddamn shitshow.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

so he's negotiating on behalf of all the candidates? sort of like a union rep or something?

More like a scab.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Someone just tweeted a video of Huckabee on a "pheasant hunt" that consisted of an aide letting a bird out of a cage maybe 15 feet away and the Huckster shooting it out of the air within two seconds. It was basically skeet shooting with a living target.

I've heard of this kind of hunt before when Cheney blasted his "friend" in the face but I've never actually seen it done. You have to be a sadistic rear end in a top hat to call that "hunting" when you're basically skipping the whole hunt and just killing a captive bird at point blank range.

Which I guess makes sense when taking Cheney and Huckabee's character into consideration.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Just got screamed at for being part of the hogsett campaign (after I told him I wasn't) for putting a flier with pentagram a and satanic symbols (the Indianapolis logo) on a guys windshield where the rain (3 days ago) made it stick. My repeated attempts to say I had nothing to do with it only got him to yell more

Got me to the point of just telling him I don't give a poo poo, he stormed off screaming about that's the problem

The someone yelled at me about how the family of the dead person parked their car

Is this an unusual amount of misplaced anger from crotchety off-year voters or about par for the course?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

When you account for who turns out in municipal only elections, par for the course.

I'm just picturing overweight grey-haired 60-something cranks wearing windbreakers and baseball caps, fists clenched, just stomping around looking for some poor guy to vent at.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I guess Jon Stewart couldn't stay away any longer:

quote:

@BreakingNews: Jon Stewart signs 4-year production deal with HBO; 1st project will be short-form current events content - @HBOPR https://t.co/rqLykKKO1x

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@mmurraypolitics: NBC/WSJ poll:
Clinton 47, Carson 47
Clinton 47, Rubio 44
Clinton 47, Bush 43
Clinton 50, Trump 42
Sanders 50, Trump 41
Sanders 46, Rubio 41

:raise:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Lol a bunch of people in Kentucky are literally going to spite themselves to death tonight.

quote:

@cushbomb: Kentucky is gonna collect all the diabetic limbs amputated in the next year and spell out TAKE THAT, OBAMA on the lawn of the state capitol.

:smith:

Shamefully I didn't vote today, but it was just a mayoral election and the D challenger was utterly curbstomped so my abstention didn't mean much.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@ZekeJMiller: Jeb Bush apologizes to France for 3-day workweek dig https://t.co/hLguBJTB1Q via @TIMEPolitics

RIP Jeb

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

He got heckled by people over his tax plan (cut them all) too. He's so good at campaigning.

He also let this little gem slip:

quote:

@kyledcheney: Bush rips FDA approval of OxyContin for children. "Pain is part of life," he says in long conversation about overprescribing.

There actually is a huge problem with OxyContin overprescription contributing to abuse and a massive heroin epidemic in this country and he addresses it by telling pediatric patients to suck it up and deal.

Every time I almost feel sorry for this guy I think of his "work harder and longer, proles" solution to economic growth, his proposed nightmarish foreign policy all-star team, and quotes like this revealing how much of a heartless rear end in a top hat he really is and I just root for the knife in his chest to be twisted further.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@mtaibbi: Ben Carson is having a busy day. Now his stabbing story is changing? https://t.co/COezf3ib1z

quote:

@mtaibbi: "We are confused about which person you stabbed" is such a yawn of a controversy by 2016 campaign standards.

quote:

@mtaibbi: At this rate one of the GOP candidates will show up at the debate in Milwaukee next week with a human head in a shopping bag.

May the primaries never end.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Speaking of Taibbi, he may have a point here:

quote:

@mtaibbi: All of us liberal smartasses are having so much fun laughing at Carson, we're going to give him at least a five-point bump in the polls.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Carson's numbers jump purely out of resentment and we start hearing about "grain truthers". Remember, facts don't matter anymore and pointing them out to people is an attack on their character.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Here's a good article from Mike Lofgren detailing the current relationship between conservatives and factual reality.

quote:

For these culture warriors, belief in demonstrably false propositions is no longer a stigma of ignorance, but a defiantly worn badge of political resistance.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Per WSJ Carson's autobiography is full of utter nonsense:

How does retaking a test make you honest? His lies make no loving sense whatsoever.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SumYungGui posted:

I don't know poo poo about football, so I stand corrected on the size of the jimmies that are going to be rustled.

If they stick to their guns this poo poo could be BIG.

(They're all going to lose their scholarships and be blacklisted aren't they? Braver men than I.)

The coaches are supporting the strike so their scholarships are safe as far as I know.

Besides the football strike there's a grad student on a full blown hunger strike, taking in only water until the university president steps down.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Wolfe: "This is not the way change should come about."

Why not? Because it was wildly effective and rendered you powerless?

The strikes are the most interesting part of this to me, especially the football strike. Off the top of my head I can't remember a major D-1 athletic team ever pulling off a labor strike and effectively leveraging their importance to a university like this.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Posted this in the fecal swastika thread but honestly I'm kinda surprised college football teams haven't realized just how much financial power they have over college administrations at this point.

To be fair a lot of that power hinges on whether or not the coaches are OK with it. A head coach can very easily break or prevent a strike by threatening the players' athletic scholarships. This action had the full backing of the coaching staff.

A strike overriding the wishes of the coaching staff would need near unanimous agreement and solidarity by the players, which is a difficult thing to guarantee with a 100+ player roster.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@benshapiro: The University of Missouri Football Team Forced The President to Resign. It's Time to Cut College Football. https://t.co/Er3Xrobs8Q

@benshapiro: There is no case for taxpayer-funded college football programs. https://t.co/REb4oAey4q

@BuckSexton: @benshapiro thank you for writing this, was just saying same thing on air. Colleges are for studying, not semi-pro taxpayer funded sports

:lol: that was fast.

This has been the smartest, most peaceful and effective protest action I've seen in a long time and certain people don't like that fact one bit. All effective leverage against the powerful needs to be taken away at once!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Kro-Bar posted:

lol, conservative talking heads on Twitter are flipping out about this.

They're having a loving meltdown

Not eating and not playing footbaw=terrorism.

Thus proving that striving for "respectability" is a fool's errand. All protest carried out by blacks is automatically equated with extreme violence no matter what.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

I don't trust this man to effectively wash the hooker stank off everyday.

LA to Vitter: lemme smell yo dick

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

We desperately need to break the "businessmen and CEOs create jobs" taking point once and for all. They do the exact loving opposite, either out of greed or under threat of legal action from shareholders. Creating jobs is never ever a businessman's first priority, and they will only do so when they have no other choice. It is in every businessman's best financial interest to have as few employees as possible.

The only entity that can and is capable of creating jobs purely for the sake of increasing employment is the government.

This is business 101 poo poo but so few people seem to get it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

What do you call it when someone isn't just ignorant, but is aggressively averse to absorbing factual knowledge, to the point that they literally "reject your reality and replace it with their own"?

Is there a term for that?

(Being a Christian. Being a Republican. Blah blah I got the obvious witty responses out of the way for you)

You might be thinking of the backfire effect, where facts opposite to one's incorrect beliefs actually strengthen those incorrect beliefs.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

the_paradigm_shift posted:

How about respecting the photographer's wishes to not be made a central theme to this story and focus on the excessive racial abuse committed by this college?

Or report the fact that the protesters backed off from the "safe space" nonsense, apologized, saw it as a teachable moment and are now cooperating with the press.

But then we'd be stuck talking about continued racism on campus and the significance of a hunger and athletic labor strike taking down a university president and chancellor.

We can't have that, both sides have to be equally bad!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

lol

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Hopefully we all learned in the last 24 hours that "poo poo is blowing up on social media" may not indicate that any of it is actually true.

Particularly if a recordable event is supposedly going down and no video or photographic record of it exists.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hahaha

Time for GOP panic? Establishment worried Carson or Trump might win

quote:

Fehrnstrom pointed out that the fourth debate passed this week without any candidate landing a blow against Trump or Carson. “We’re about to step into the holiday time accelerator,” he said. “You have Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, then Iowa and a week later, New Hampshire, and it’s going to be over in the blink of an eye.”

According to other Republicans, some in the party establishment are so desperate to change the dynamic that they are talking anew about drafting Romney — despite his insistence that he will not run again. Friends have mapped out a strategy for a late entry to pick up delegates and vie for the nomination in a convention fight, according to the Republicans, who were briefed on the talks, though Romney has shown no indication of reviving his interest.

:mitt: :getin:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

More from that article:

quote:

Still, the party establishment’s greatest weapon — big money — is partly on the shelf. Kenneth G. Langone, a founder of Home Depot and a billionaire supporter of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, said he is troubled that many associates in the New York financial community have so far refused to invest in a campaign due to the race’s volatility.

“Some of them are in, but too many are still saying, ‘I’ll wait to see how this all breaks,’” Langone said. “People don’t want to write checks unless they think the candidate has a chance of winning.” He said that his job, as a mega-donor, “is to figure out how we get people on the edge of their chairs so they start to give money.”

Many of Romney’s 2012 National Finance Committee members have sat the race out so far, including Peter A. Wish, a Florida doctor whom several 2016 candidates have courted.

“I’m not a happy camper,” Wish said. “Hopefully somebody will emerge who will be able to do the job,” but, he added, “I’m very worried that the Republican-base voter is more motivated by anger, distrust of D.C. and politicians and will throw away the opportunity to nominate a candidate with proven experience that can win.”

The concern among some party elites goes beyond electability, according to one Republican strategist, who was granted anonymity to speak frankly about the worries.

“We’re potentially careening down this road of nominating somebody who frankly isn’t fit to be president in terms of the basic ability and temperament to do the job,” this strategist said. “It’s not just that it could be somebody Hillary could destroy electorally, but what if Hillary hits a banana peel and this person becomes president?”

Read the whole thing, it's a pro-click.

Basically establishment, big money Republicans are freaking out that Trump and Carson are laughably terrible but could actually win and at the same time are too chickenshit to put their own money on the line to do anything about it.

They're just crossing their fingers and hoping they magically disappear before the primary process really gets going.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as in winning the primary or the election? i assume the primary. trumps boasting and poo poo throwing can only get him so far. and carson is just kinda nuts maybe. part of me thinks that the establisment will try to run to cruz as a compromise, but even he is too bugfuck for the general.

The establishment really has no idea how to dislodge Trump right now and time is starting to run short. It hasn't yet dawned on them that the primary voting GOP base doesn't want a serious, electable establishment candidate. They want a giant middle finger covered in offensive bumper stickers, and that's exactly what Trump is.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 13, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seems to me like they should just give into their base and take the election loss, then blame the nutjobs after said loss and try to purge the party of unusable nutters. the Establishment can then try pretend to be the moderate ones and try to reform the party and cut out the social/tea party right. none of this will happen, but its an idea.

They tried to do this after 2012 but gave up after about a month of navel gazing.

Instead they let the party go full speed in the other direction and now we have Trump, solidly in first place, accusing Benzo Carson of having an incurable pathological temper and comparing him to a child molester.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I think that's also part of the problem, at least according to that article: because there's a bunch of wannabe establishment candidates, each of them wants someone else to take down Trump/Carson and suffer the potential blowback, but none have managed to get strong enough that it's worth it for them to do it.

Rubio was looking like he might...so Cruz has started blasting him on immigration and Jeb! is planning on attacking him from the center so he'll now be too busy fighting off the other wannabe NotTrumps :sun:

Scott Walker's failed plea for lovely candidates to "clear the field" is going to end up being the smartest and most prescient thing he's ever said.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

I mean I'm certain every candidate has asked that question, but let's marvel at the fact an actual candidate finally loving said it in public

Is this that Trump tweet from a few weeks ago that he walked back or something else?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Feather posted:

Now consider that $25k is roughly the hourly equivalent of a person who earns $50M/year, or about 4 times what Mitt earns every year from his portfolio of investments and businesses. That's right, if Mitt were paid on an hourly basis, he'd earn in slightly less than four hours what you earn all year. Think about that, and how detached from any of us that makes him, and anybody in his economic class.

To put it even more succinctly, your yearly income is basically a rounding error to him.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

donald trump has clearly never been to a rodeo or cock fight or pro wrestling match. his belt buckle challenge isn't going to resonate with his base

Please tell me you're completely unaware of Trump's WWE exploits.

The internet has so much to show you :allears:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I really can't wait for the "tech" bubble to pop spectacularly. Most of these companies have little to do with tech at all aside from a lovely phone app meant to drive some illegal or exploitative scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

So apparently the new obsession among conservatives is to get Hillary and Obama to say that we're at war with "radical Islam" and not extremists or ISIL or whatever we're actually calling them right now.

Because we can bomb and drone and snoop and deploy special forces all we want but until we blow the holy war dog whistle we're still pulling punches.

• Locked thread