Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Might as well crosspost from PYF, since this thread might have some experts on the subject.

Does anyone have any recommendations on electric vertical smokers? Preferably bigguns, at least large enough to smoke a whole turkey, plus some small stuff. Or just the whole turkey.

Also looking for electric grills. I think Weber makes some of the tabletop variety, but I'm wondering if they're any good.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is that a "no" on the vertical smokers?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Got a price range? These are pretty good, otherwise, you could build a terracotta smoker for ~60bux.

No price range in particular; I'm not expecting it to be cheap. It just has to be electric. Otherwise my apartment won't let me use it.

Yes, I've already checked and they do allow use of electric smokers. And I'll be using it outside on a balcony.

Are any of the other Masterbuilts any good? Masterbuilt seems to be the only name that really comes up when looking at electric smokers.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 21, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

There's lots of Masterbuilt chat in the actual BBQ thread. I've had the MB40 for like 4 years and love the hell out of it. Highly recommend. It's tall, but not super deep, so if you're looking to do Turkey, it won't fit a massive one. Two smaller should be fine though.

There's a BBQ thread? Where? (EDIT: I think I found it.)

Maybe I can ask there, too.

Will your MB fit a turducken? I'd love to smoke one of those if I ever get my hands on one. Or even just a regular duck (where do I even go to find whole ducks?).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 21, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

There appear to be several posts scattered around the internet about smoking turkeys in Masterbuilts

A Sportsman Elite 30" will fit a 20 lb turkey, get a 15 lb turkey and you should be fine with whatever extra bulk the -ducken brings

Are the Sportsman Elites what show up on Amazon when I search for "electric smoker" and then filter the results to Masterbuilt 30"? Or should I check Google?

Amazon doesn't show any model names for Masterbuilts.

EDIT: Like is this a Sportsman Elite?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 21, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I found it with Prime eligibility. :D

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Every supermarket that I have ever been to has whole ducks. They aren't near the chickens though. They're usually frozen, right near the whole turkeys. They usually only have 3-5 of them, so if there is an empty spot next to the turkeys, there used to be ducks there, and somebody bought them all.

As for fitting a whole turkey in the MB40, technically there's more than enough cubic inches in there, but the MB is tall, wide, and thin. I am not at my house right now to check, but if I had to guess, I would say that it is only about 10ish inches DEEP, which would be your limiting factor.

It's hard to tell from the pics but according to the product dimensions, the 40" model might be about 5 inches deeper than the 30". Unless you're talking about a different model than the one I linked to.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I bought a food dehydrator at WalMart and have eaten jerky meat out of it. Am I gonna die?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Peugeot pepper grinder came in the mail two days ago. It's handsome as gently caress and grinds boss pepper and now I want one for salt cuz it looks so handsome. (I got the Natural finish. Kinda sad now that I didn't get a Chocolate finish so I could buy a Natural-finish one for salt and still be able to tell them apart.)

EDIT: Oh, this is the other Kitchen Equipment thread.

Oh well, my point still stands. Peugeot makes sexy rear end pepper mills. :colbert:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 31, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

FireTora posted:

The brass screw on top has a P or a S to differentiate the salt and pepper grinders. :ssh: But I had the same thought as you after I got my natural finish pepper one.

You have made me very happy by telling me this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I normally don't post unsolicited recommendations here but I got the Waring Pro double waffle maker for Christmas and I feel like I've finally found the holy grail of waffle makers. Waffles come out light and crisp on the outside. Being able to cook two at a time makes it actually useful for feeding the family. Cleanup is easy, and nothing sticks to the plates. Highly recommend.

Had oven-fried chicken tonight so I made cornbread waffles to serve with it. Turned out great.

gently caress, I want to make some waffles now. I might have to look that up on Amazon.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just bought a Waring Pro Single on Amazon. I've been craving waffles for months and Flash Gordon Ramsay's post pushed me over the edge.

Thanks, Flash Gordon Ramsay! :getin:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think somebody posted a recipe for protein powder waffles in YLLS awhile back. I want to go look that up, because I'm supposed to be on a diet now. I'm already gonna be using a protein-enriched low-calorie milk and sugar stevia mix to make waffles, but a little extra protein can't hurt.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is a stand mixer necessary if all I'm making is pizza dough? Those prices in the OP are a little steep for me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Teeter posted:

I'm looking in to the Cole & Mason pepper mill, going off of the Cook's Illustrated write up. Only thing I'm left wondering now is... why?

Someone please convince me that spending $30+ on a pepper grinder is worth it. Cooking has probably become my #1 hobby over the past year or so but I have no experience with anything beyond the cheapest pepper grinders.

Get the Peugeot Paris like I did. It grinds pepper into dust and it looks sexy as gently caress. If that thing was a woman, I'd gently caress it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Teeter posted:

Followup grinding question: What's the cheapest coffee grinder that's worthwhile? Looking for something that does a coarse grind for French press.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, there's a dedicated Coffee Thread that will probably point you toward the Capresso Infinity like they did me. Although if it's a coarse grind that you're after, you could probably find something cheaper.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm guessing there isn't much of a difference between low-cost toasters? Was looking to keep it around or preferably under $30 and don't need anything fancy, just bread and the occasional bagel, found this one which has 4 slots which is a bonus: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Slice-Touch-Toaster/dp/B0014E0UFQ

This is the toaster I have and it's great. Also a Hamilton Beach, and has a 4-slot model in case you need one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXMO02W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Bonus: It's only about $30.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the Swissmar Borner dishwasher safe/easy to clean? I'd like a new mandolin slicer, but I don't want to spend loving $100+ on one right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My method for a basic risotto:

Sweat shallots in butter, add rice and toast just until you get a nutty smell. Deglaze with white wine, add twice as much stock as you did rice. Stir. Cover and bring to pressure. Cook at high pressure for 6 minutes then quick release pressure. Stir vigorously for a minute and add grated Parmesan and butter, season to taste. Keep on heat if it's too thin or add stock if it's too thick.

I have never tasted risotto before, but this sounds like something I need to make.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does Thermoworks normally have Father's Day sales? They've got a 15% off deal going right now for everything on their site, but I'm wondering if they'll be offering ThermaPens any cheaper than that come Father's Day time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I shall wait on the ThermaPens to go back on sale, thank you. :colbert:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Croatoan posted:

Super good deal Amazon has the Waring Pro WMK600 Double Belgian Waffle Maker on sale for $55.99 with free shipping. http://amzn.com/B0034JU9T6

gently caress, now I'm sad I already got the single version. :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh my lord. :syoon:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

poo poo, I really want an MK4 in blue.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does anybody have recommendations for a handheld smoker? I'm only seeing like 3 on Amazon, and I'm wondering if any of them are any good.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out they're all the same one. :shepface:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 16, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mindphlux posted:

the answer is really no, there are no good ones :(

taqueso posted:

My roommate uses the 'Smoking Gun' to add smoke flavor to whiskey, which it seems to work OK for. I doubt it is good for much more than that. I believe he is on his second or third one in a couple years, so apparently they aren't particularly durable.

This is really sad to hear since I'm probably still going to buy one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Croatoan posted:

This is a super duper good deal but it's today only so I hope some of y'all saved in advance. KitchenAid Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12-Piece Set on sale for $222.99 with free shipping.

https://amzn.com/B01ATSHP0A

drat, I could use me some new pots and pans but I'm trying to save money.

I'll have to give this some thought.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GUESS WHAT'S ON SALE AGAIN BITCHESSSS!!!!! :getin:

(It's ThermaPens.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bob_McBob posted:

That's OK, red is the best Thermapen colour anyway.

You misspelled blue.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think the OXO Good Grips is the garlic press I have. What makes the Kuhn Rikon press better, out of curiosity?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

The Kuhn Rikon is alright but it gets a lot of garlic into all the nooks and crannies instead of onto the plate and is kind of annoying to clean.

Having bought six different garlic presses, I'd recommend the Trudeau instead. It has a bigger hopper, has less nooks and crannies and cleans more easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00062B0EM/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468393605&sr=sr-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=trudeau+garlic+press

This seems awfully similar to the OXO Good Grips I have now. Any reason why it might be better?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Horse Clocks posted:

Going by economies of scale, A bottle of Frank's is probably going to be cheaper than any buy-clean bottle.

Worst case scenario: you throw out £1 of sauce.
Best case scenario: you eat enough wings to consume £1 of sauce.

I can't tell if you're using "£" in reference to the currency or the unit of weight measurement instead of "lb".

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Question: What are the major differences between this KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Blue Steel stand mixer vs. this (apparently identical) one in Cobalt Blue? Other than the fact that the Cobalt Blue one is cheaper, comes in more colors, and is made of zinc instead of stainless steel?

EDIT: It looks like the Cobalt Blue one's arms are raised a little bit higher, but in terms of performance, which one is likely to be better? Or are they both the same?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 26, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So they're identical, then?

Good, because I like the Cobalt Blue color a lot better. :v:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How much labor/hand-work can a good stand mixer remove from the process of making bread, if any? I'd like to at least be able to make my own bread, but I don't have a lot of counter-space for poo poo like kneading and pin-rolling and the like, and my roommate might freak out if I cover the counter with flour like some recipes call for. I'm kinda looking for excuses to buy that KitchenAid stand mixer next time I have the money.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Basically they knead the dough, nothing more. It does dramatically reduce the amount of effort necessary, but it's not like you can use a KitchenAid for a rolling pin.

If your primary use for a stand mixer is bread, I'd suggest a Bosch instead of a KitchenAid. Otherwise, a KA is more general purpose.

I mean my primary use for it would be general purpose so this works good for me. I just want it to be capable of making bread too. :)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Man I'm having a real hard time not buying that stand mixer. Even though I've never made bread before and I don't normally do stuff that requires a mixer.

I guess I could make cookies or cake with it, but I shouldn't be eating that stuff right now.

I'm pretty sure my dad would love a stand mixer in yellow. He makes bread and pastries all the time, and I'm pretty sure he'd like all of the attachments it has. Maybe I'll talk to mom about buying one for his next birthday.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

guppy posted:

If you like to bake, buy the poo poo out of a KitchenAid stand mixer. It's expensive but it's one of the best things I've ever bought. I like to bake but I wouldn't bake nearly as much as I do without my KA. But unless you need it urgently, wait for a sale. It'll be close to $100 less.

Yeah that's what I want to do. I'm just wondering when a sale is going to be.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dammit I keep clicking on that Amazon link waiting for that mixer to go on sale, but it never does.

I've also started reading the Bread thread.

What's wrong with me? :cry:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ I prefer new. I'll probably buy it in a month or so if it doesn't go on sale before that.

Can't wait to see pictures of your smoked bread

How did you know my cookbook had a smoked bread recipe? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuck-Errant posted:

You might also check out Ovestock.com and Kohl's for price comparisons. Or the KitchenAid store outlet section.

I just checked Overstock.com and it's over $100 more expensive on there. Same with Kohl's.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Anyway, the best time to buy small appliances is in November; it's when the prices tend to dip the most before the new model year.

Yeah I think I'll buy it earlier than that. I don't want to wait until November to buy a mixer.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 1, 2016