Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CJacobs posted:

God I wish Google would stop trying to make everything Google-related automatically save my entire identity.

Log into Google, go to My Account, and find the Personal Info & Privacy section. You should be able to edit anything, delete stuff they have saved, and change the settings for saving things in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

OctoberBlues posted:

I swear to god I guess the wrong way every time I try to plug one in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Phyzzle posted:

2. A timer circuit on a TV that clears the volume to a low default after the TV is off for a minute, instead of leaving the volume at “92” forever so that you have to turn it on and listen to the blaring sound level possibly waking up babies and such while you dutifully stand there holding the volume down button.

I had this on my OEM car stereo. You set a volume and if you turn the car off with the volume above that level, next time you turn the car on it will be turned down to that level. If your volume is below that level, it is left where it is.

I swapped out the stereo for one out of a newer model of my car and they removed that option. :(

I want to say that my old home stereo did the same thing, but with a preset and unmodifiable level.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I had a Creative Zen mp3 player that would display a QWERTY keyboard, but the only way to navigate was to use left and right arrows slowly row by row. Putting the letters in QWERTY format did absolutely nothing to help typing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

To be fair the nice microwave at my last job had some kind of moisture sensor or something so those buttons for "popcorn" and stuff that normally do nothing but burn everything actually start a detector that could detect exactly when the popcorn was done so it came out perfect every time without you having to sit there and monitor it.

My job has a full on popcorn machine. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I could do without the iHeartRadio button because seriously? Who uses that service anymore? But the rest of pretty good design.

iHeartRadio is paying Vizio for that button. Has nothing to do with demand.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

criscodisco posted:

My cable box remote has a "system power" button right next to the regular power button, same size and shape. Since I leave my box on or it won't record my shows, if I try turn on my TV and hit the wrong button, it turns off the cable box, on the TV, off my speakers and on my Blu-ray and DVD players. It doesn't do them all at once, but one after another, so I keep winding up panicking and throwing the remote to stop it before it gets through all my electronics.

Replace it with a Harmony remote. You can set it to never turn off certain devices, even if you hit "all off". It's nice.

Alternately, just cover the IR blaster with your hand. I would sometimes do that if I wanted to switch my TV/Xbox on but continue listening to auxiliary audio input. Let the remote turn on the two things, then block it from switching the inputs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Depends on the device. Mine turns off all automatic updates, so it doesn't check for email or update the weather or things like that. You can still manually open and update those apps if you want. Calls and text still come trough. Screen brightness is dimmed and I think the processor is clocked down (running a game with the power saver mode active is sluggish). That seems to save a ton of power while retaining functionality. Unfortunately, it only comes on at 5% battery life. I wish I could have it come on at 10% or 15%. Though I can manually turn it on if I plan on needing my phone later in the day but I'm not using it at the moment.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Power buttons have been moving to the sides of phones ever since screens started getting bigger. It's too much of a reach to get it on top if you're using it one handed. Might not be an issue on the 6, but definitely an issue on the 6 Plus.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shadow posted:

Alright, I'll accept that as a reason. It still sucks that I turn the phone off by mistake so often because of it being placed right opposite the volume button, but your explanation does make design sense.

If you wanna see a bad decision, see Microsoft's brand new flagship phone. You have, top to bottom, volume up, power, volume down. Yes, the power is between the volume buttons.

criscodisco posted:

For what it's worth, that's the same exact placement as the Galaxy S6, and I constantly turning it off when adjusting the volume. It also has the headphone jack on the bottom, which I really don't understand. Is there any good reason for it to be there? Occasionally if I'm outside for a long time I'll have it in my jacket pocket with a pair of headphones plugged it but also a battery pack plugged in, too, and I see no good reason for that cluster of cords all coming out of the rear end end.

I've been on both sides of the fence. My Galaxy Nexus had the port on the bottom and I disliked it because it was too hard to plug in both power and headphones, especially with my portable battery (the cord has dual ends for mini- and micro-USB, so bigger than most) or in the car (the bottom of the car mount left little room for both cords).

Now I have a phone with the port on the top and it took me quite a while to learn to put the phone in my pocket right side up. I need to spin the phone in my hand when I use it, or I need to pull it out with my finger tips and curl them around. I'm used to it now, but it was hard to break the habit.

In the end, I prefer port on the top as using power and audio at the same time is easier.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shadow posted:

That can't continue forever, so when does the tide change?

There are now three iPad sizes and two iPhone sizes (with rumors of a smaller iPhone in the future). poo poo, iOS 9 is already supporting 4 different phone screen sizes and two different aspect ratios when it used to support only one size/ratio (albeit at different resolutions). They're definitely starting to get away from "we'll tell you what you want".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blistex posted:

If you really want to get spergy, the additional cct/wiring required to have the volume buttons in different locations could add up to a few thousand dollars over the lifespan of the phone.

How many phones are you expecting MS to sell???

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

revmoo posted:

That's hilarious fanboyism right there "Apple is cool to use a smaller batter in its phones because their screens are lower resolution. See, Apple is better!"

What?! As an Android fanboy and someone who has never owned an Apple device*, that statement seems pretty factual to me.

If Apple didn't put so much emphasis on thinness, they could have stellar battery life, but it's the tradeoff they make.

*I did by my sister an iPod once years ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

To get off the Apple v. Samsung debate:
My car's roof is designed to direct the smallest amount of moisture directly onto my arm and/or power window switches. Doesn't matter if it's pouring, a light drizzle, water being kicked up off the pavement, morning loving dew, it will be channeled off the hood, up the windshield, across the roof, and through the window directly onto my arm. I even need to close my windows if I use the sprayer at a stop because I'll get blue liquid inside my car as soon as I start moving.

Also related, the notification for having low washer fluid is given the same priority as the notification for low fuel. Basically, a message on the computer in the center console when I start the car and a flashing yellow warning that covers up the clock and doesn't stop blinking, ever. Rain-X recently changed the formula of their orange fluid and it breaks sensors in VWs and Audis, so I've had the car yelling at me constantly that my fluid is low for almost a year, now. All other warnings (important ones, like your lights being burned out) are just a message that goes away in the first ten seconds of turning on your car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Here I thought they just had a plastic casting with two electrodes in it, so that liquid would make it conduct.

That's what it is in my car. Not sure what it fucks up, maybe coats the electrodes? I've put new fluid in and it didn't fix it, so it's not just the conductivity of the fluid. I've seen people recommending putting salt in with the fluid, but I'm not intentionally putting salt in my car and then spraying it all over the window. :gonk:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Anyway, it sounds like a bad thing superior German engineering.

Fixed that for you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I didn't know this was a thing until I stopped by my home town for the first time in 3 years. Other parts of town they put in roundabouts, then I see green arrows, red arrows, yellow arrows, flashing yellow arrows. WTF do they mean? Danger to all on the road, imo, unless the state/nation standardizes how they are implemented.

E:

We got those all around town. At first, especially when it was only a few intersections, it was super confusing. Now that they are everywhere and people are used to them, they are great. No more sitting at a red arrow while there is no oncoming traffic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Paying at the pump at BP stations:
1) Select Card - Debit or Card - Credit
2) Insert card
3) "Is this card debit or credit?"

Argh!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

Do you want a car wash?

I'm in IL. Chances are that it's raining or snowing or below freezing. There's only a few months of the year where it's better than 50/50 that it'd be okay to get a car wash. Stop asking!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ArmZ posted:

I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to still write my signature.

I don't remember why, but I'm pretty sure the signature is less secure than the PIN used in other countries, negating a lot of the benefits of the chip system to boot!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Good lord, that's ridiculous. Can you at least have your cards auto-accept for small purchases under $40?

I never sign at, say, the gas station (though it does ask for my zip code for verification). I only sign at the grocery store if it's over $50. Other places, I sign every time.

Phyzzle posted:

This is for a technical reason. The machine cannot store the information contained in the card any more. For each transaction, there is a call and response to and from the chip.

Weird. ATMs recently started spitting your card back out before even asking for your PIN. There was a spate of card thefts where the criminals would jam the card reader, you'd do your transactions, and then wouldn't get your card back (I don't remember if this kept you logged into the system or not). You'd have to abandon the machine and the criminal would come in and steal the card.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

No-one uses a signature because they're so unsecure.

The US's brand new, built from the ground up, now is the time to get things right, system does!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Adix posted:

Credit costs them more in processing fees, gently caress your user experience.

Credit gives me better cash back rewards and fraud protection, gently caress your processing fees.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I know at least one person that has done the reverse and pissed in the sink due to excessively trendy bathroom design.

Toilet, urinal and sink from the Bob's Burgers bathroom redesign.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

therattle posted:

I just bought a onesie sleep suit for my son. He's still in nappies. They open with a zip from just above the ankle which runs up the leg, over the groin and up the middle of the trunk to the throat. To change a nappy one has to unzip from the top, exposing the child's skin, and you also have to remove the leg on the side which has the zip. Even then it's really tricky to change a nappy. Stupid ducking design for a garment designed for small children.

Should go back to putting all babies, regardless of gender, in dresses. Makes changing diapers a snap. It's how FDR grew up and he became president!

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-did-girls-start-wearing-pink-1370097/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

We almost had those but then there was the dumbest loving panic over "someone with a portable reader gun could scan your card from across the street! :tinfoil:" and piles of "with this new credit card menace coming to your door, here's how to protect it from cyberthieves!" articles actually suggesting that you wrap/insert/create your wallet with aluminum foil.

I forgot I turned NFC on for my phone and freaked myself out when I placed it on top of my wallet and it started beeping. I think it was picking up the signal from my Ventra card?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like the big album art, but I hate artist photos. I don't know what most artists that I listen to look like, so their images don't help me find anything.

What I hate about Google Play Music is that it prioritizes streaming over your library. I search for an artist and get the artist page and related artists, streaming albums, single tracks, then my library. No, Google, I want MY stuff first.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shadow posted:

I'll be honest, what I miss most is the album art in general. I miss opening up the new CD (or tape!) and flipping through the album art/lyrics/pictures/poems/whatever that they'd have. Metallica or Nine Inch Nails were the best for this. Also Rob Zombie of course. Tool.

I wish I could see more than the drat cover. :(

Certain albums come with additional digital booklet PDFs that I look through once before archiving and forgetting about. :)

Not to be an analog music vinyl hipster purist, but that's why I've started buying records for the stuff I'm really excited for. I still listen to most of my music digitally, but sometimes it's nice to handle the physical object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

88h88 posted:

Y'know I've never fully understood the word 'podcast' it makes no sense.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

The word is a portmanteau of "(i)Pod" and "broadcast."

Learn something new!

• Locked thread