Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chamale posted:

The speech being the reason for his death is a myth, he probably died after moving in to the White House because its water supply was badly contaminated with human feces.

Yeah. It's not often remembered but Washington and the District of Columbia in general was a swampy malarial hellhole until after the Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

How did that change?

It hasn't, not altogether at least.

But really it was the same sorts of things that were done elsewhere. Improved sewage systems (London had similar problems that required a massive public works project to solve), better sanitation, draining the swamps where the Tidal Pool is now, and lots of other things.

Washington wasn't actually a really major city before the Civil War (at least in the sense of being a major population center) because it was still only a few decades old. It wasn't a natural city at all, it was deliberately built to be the nation's capital.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jul 1, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crow Jane posted:

DC is still a putrid swamp in the summer, though.

Dear God is it ever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

But isn't that when Congress is on break?

Washington being built in malarial swamps with a summer atmosphere that's like living inside of a boiling kettle is why Congress goes into recess during the summer in the first place.

And yes, I know :thejoke:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crow Jane posted:

I live in Baltimore, and I dated a guy who lived in DC a few years ago. Broke up with him in late spring, in part because I couldn't stand the idea of having to visit in the summer.

He wouldn't have blamed you for it.

I've lived in Arlington and Norfolk so I understand completely.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phyzzle posted:

And Western Europe's term comes from the Sanskrit word naranj, a produce of Arabic traders first bringing them from India. Which is odd, because it's "portugal" in Arabic.

Apparently, naranj is used in Arabic specifically for 'a bitter orange', like the oranges they use in curacao and other liqueurs. Then the Portuguese showed up later with the first oranges that didn't taste like rear end, so common oranges are now named after them.

"Zürj" sounds suspiciously like a brand name for an Eastern European energy drink.

System Metternich posted:

I know that that's from QI, but I would still be very suspicious about it.

You should be very suspicious of it because it's from QI, the show too stupid to understand how the Moon works.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Jan 24, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlphaKretin posted:

People refer to John Lennon's death as an assassination, so :shrug:

That's because Baby Boomers are terrible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

skasion posted:

This is a way bigger scale than anything in Lord of the Rings. The Battle of the Hornburg is about 2000 men of Rohan vs maybe 10000 Uruk-hai and some number of Dunlendings. Battle of the Pelennor is about 3-4k soldiers defending the city plus 6000 cavalry under Theoden and a small force under Aragorn vs some tens of thousands of the Morgul-host. Battle of the Morannon is 6000-ish soldiers under Aragorn outnumbered (but it's not clear by how much) by the Mordor-armies. We're talking pretty modestly sized forces here, as you might expect given the general lack of central government authority, road networks, or indeed any development or habitation at all over large areas of land in Middle-earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iO5-ic0Ug4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Keru posted:

This isn't so much a historical fact, but it is funny and a bit related: when the movie Them! was released in Sweden back in the day, the swedish translation of the title was mistakenly translated as "Spindlarna" which does not, in fact, mean "Them!". If you've not guessed it yet, "Spindlarna" means "The Spiders".

No, I don't know why this was the translation, I can only assume someone with fantastic bullshitting skills managed to get a job as translator at Svensk Filmindustri back then.

Depending on what the posters looked like this might've inadvertently turned the reveal that the monsters where giant ants into a genuine surprise.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There no such aircraft called the "Heinkel Spatz".

He means the He 162, which was generally called the Salamander but Heinkel's official name for it was the Spatz.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Solice Kirsk posted:

Simple enough fix, we just need to shave our heads and rub rose water and verbena into our scalps and noses.

Wait, do you not?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's worth pointing out that Britain and Japan were allies at the time of this incident, and Britain's shipbuilding industry was the leading source of warships for minor navies (including Japan), so the idea of a sneak attack by Japanese torpedo boats in the North Sea isn't quite as psychotic as it sounds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Krankenstyle posted:

I thought it was cheaper to just artillery the poo poo out of everything, cause it sure seemed they did that a lot.

Artillery is only cheap if it's already on site.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like how the denizens of the besieged city are "Christians" and the Mongol forces who are probably from half a dozen different religions some of whom might be Nestorian Christians are just 'Tatars'.

It's a quote from a contemporary source. They weren't big on ethnology back in the 1300s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly I think any discussion of that subject should end with the Pope hitting the participants over the head with his ferula.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, color photos of black and white television studio sets are always wild because of how they had to use wildly different colors to get the right effect in monochrome. Some of the early color film processes were just as tricky to film, look up Cinecolor some time.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Dec 31, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deteriorata posted:

That's basically how the Saxons took over England, as well. The Britons didn't have any standing army of their own and the Romans took the army, the armor, and most of the skilled tradesmen with them when they left.

It only took a few years for the Picts to figure out the southerners were nearly defenseless and take advantage of the situation. The Britons appealed for help to the Saxons, who obligingly beat back the Picts. Then they realized that Britain was great farmland and mostly undefended, so they came back with armies of their own and lots of settlers.

ETA: From the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle:

The Anglo-Saxon takeover of Britannia was way more complicated than this, but it's hard to know definitively because we have about four or five primary sources. Also the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle's version is mostly Wessex propaganda.

sullat posted:

This is surprisingly common; the Visigoths hired the Muslim armies into Spain in order to fight in a succession dispute. And then they just... stayed...

There is no historical evidence for this. Nobody hired the Muslim armies that invaded Spain.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only Muslim army that was hired was the governor of Sicily appealed to the North Africans to fight the Roman Emperor.

Least it’s the only one I know

Well, you'd know wouldn't you?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

oscarthewilde posted:

but isn’t it incredibly reductive to describe Disney commercializing Greek myth as just another reinterpretation?

Yes, it is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

The Rape of Persephone is actually where the modern definition of “rape” comes from.

It used to be synonymous with “abduction”.

Actually the "Rape of Persephone" is also an example of the older meaning of the term. The story hinges on Hades' abduction of Persephone to the underworld.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Soul Dentist posted:

That sounds exactly like what Platystemon was saying

He implied the modern definition came from the story of Persephone. Not the older definition that means "abduction".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

People misunderstood which aspect of the story the verb related to, in the title of the myth and in certain other fossilized uses such as the Rape of the Sabine women.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does. Your previous post was kinda ambiguously worded.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrigadierSensible posted:

Since we are talking about names.

Both my brother and I were named after West Indian cricketers from the 1970s. Me after an elegant left handed batsman and my younger brother after a demon fast bowler.

To this day it breaks my fathers heart that my brother grew up to be an opening batsman, and I grew into a handy medium pace bowler.

Tell me you're from an ex-Empire country without telling me etc.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I love taking the train from San Diego to Los Angeles. It's about three hours and, more importantly, you don't have to drive in LA traffic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My grandfathers both flew bombers in the Army Air Force.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

jazzyjay posted:

Holy poo poo a 7' long submarine made of fibreglass for $6.98? Is this how oceangate got its start?

It actually looks a bit safer than anything from Oceangate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

makes widows cry did NOT understand the assignemtn

Depends whose widows they were, really.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comstar posted:

I was today year old when I found out that apparently no one knows what the p stands for in pH.

I am going to ask my son to ask every chemistry teacher to hear their answer.

It stands for potential. pH comes from the phrase "potential of hydrogen".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Machine Cannons came to the spitfire and the hurricanes later, being orders of magnitude more betterer all things being equal, as it took an amount of work to get things equal

Which is why the main American fighters, with a couple exceptions, stuck with .50 caliber machine guns throughout the war. The British used the .303 caliber round for almost everything from rifles to aircraft machine guns, which, while it simplified ammunition manufacturing, left their fighters needing six or eight guns to do the job that the early American fighters did with four.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Dec 28, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Samovar posted:

Certainly, and you are not being or sounding like a dick in the slightest.

It was an interview with Gabrielle Walker, who wrote 'Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of the World's Most Mysterious Continent', on the Empire podcast (hosted by Anita Anand and William Dalrymple), episodes 110 and 111, 'Antarctica: the continent that wouldn't be conquered' and 'Shackleton: the hero of Antarctica' respectively. I give both episodes because I can't remember which of the two that info was shared (I suspect the second half of the former) but it should be in there.

And what was her source for this?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I posted this in ADTRW but this thread deserves to see them too.

My fellow goons, let me present A History of the World in Poorly-Done Manga Portraits.

All your favorites are here: Uwu Cleopatra, a dozen or so Brian Blessed characters, Henry David Lincoln, Song Dynasty Groyper, Gendo Marat, Robert Z'Hitler, and many more!

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Feb 13, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NoiseAnnoys posted:

phoenix wright rear end lookin archduke franz ferdinand motherfucker.

That's meant to be Kaiser Wilhelm (although he looks more like Hitler than Hitler himself does). Franz Ferdinand is the tiny figure in the car.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is the greatest piece of art I have ever seen

It is pretty good, isn't it? I'm now slightly obsessed with trying to figure out who some of those dudes are supposed to be. Like the goober underneath Napoleon. I think it's supposed to be Marshal Ney but I just don't know. You got any clue about that one?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deteriorata posted:

The list had to be adapted at some point, as I'm sure point #4 was even tougher before the Spanish introduced horses to North America.

Technically nobody has been eligible since the original North American horse species went extinct 12,000 odd years ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm much more impressed by "how are the Shawnee riding elk?'

They didn't. They just called these new horse things elk because that's the most similar-looking animal they knew about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My family name is a Americanized mutation of a common French surname, but we didn't need no Ellis Islanders to gently caress it up. Instead they lived on the frontier in the 1700s and couldn't spell good.