Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

"Black Bart" Roberts:

If I remember my manual for Sid Meier's Pirates!, the ABH AMH stands for A Barbadian's Head and A Martinician's Head. He had a real hate on for Barbados and Martinique in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Tiberius!?

It gets :nms: from here.

My god. The Isosceles lock.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We used to have a "poo poo I just figured out" thread; I didn't see it in the first three pages so I'm assuming it's been mercifully killed.

I just figured out that Roger Bacon the very clever monk, Francis Bacon the very clever proto-scientist, and Francis Drake the pirate/explorer were all different people living at different times. Shame on me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm disappointed she's not standing on a Barbadian's head and a Martiniquian's head.

Good balance, that Black Bart.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sometimes when I'm preparing dinner I'll take a second to reflect on what a broke-dick 13th century dirt farmer would think of my utterly profligate use of salt and pepper, to say nothing of my cupboard shelf full of spices that would have beggared his city-state

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bean_shadow posted:

I'm always amused that there was an astronaut named Mr. Bean. Mr. Bean Goes to the Moon.

I don't know if he's still doing it, but for a long time, Alan Bean painted moonscapes. In the paintings, he pressed in tiny fragments of keepsake patches from his EVA suit, patches stained with dust from the lunar surface. So he sells the paintings as including moon dust.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

When I read The Making of the Atomic Bomb what raised my eyebrows the most was the construction of the world's first artificial reactor, Chicago Pile One. I guess our modern perception of nuclear reactors is that they are highly secure, shielded and protected facilities that must be carefully monitored and maintained lest we all die in a nuclear fireball, so learning the first one was literally a pile of graphite blocks, some with uranium in them, that were stacked by hand underneath the bleachers at Stagg Field at the University of Chicago seemed a little negligent to me.

Those early guys were really cavalier about radiation.

There's the old folk etymology for the word "scram" as it pertains to shutting down a nuclear reactor, as standing for something like Safety Control Rod Axe Man. There's supposed to have been a set of control rods, dangling over the reactor pile, held in place by a single rope. In the case of a runaway fission event, there was a guy stationed with an axe ready to chop the rope, drop the rods and stifle the reaction. Whether the Chicago Pile was actually built like that or not, I don't know, but it's a cute enough story.

Also I always like the technical euphemisms hiding the horrible monsters of nuclear research. "Critical excursion", "physics package".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bean_shadow posted:

I especially remember that episode because the few times I would catch an episode of I Love Lucy it was always THIS one.

The gently caress is up with that, anyway? It's like, back when I would still watch a rerun of Seinfeld, half the time it was The Marble Rye. Do networks only buy like a quarter of the episodes for syndication?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also a certain kind of maggot that's used to get dead tissue out of bad wounds because they won't eat living meat. They'll devour every last shred of already dead tissue. Then you rinse them out, clean the wound again, and stitch it up.

I learned about them when I was first getting into motorcycling because apparently maggot therapy is a whole lot more pleasant for road rash than traditional wound debridement, which features a medical professional angrily scrubbing the dead skin off of your live skin with a stiff-bristled brush

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

I actually drive a Mazda 3 is this a real thing :smith:

The first gen 3 is notorious for premature body panel rust, especially above the rear wheel wells. Not sure about frame rust.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

He should have commuted it only on the condition that they climb Kilimanjaro.

"We've talked it over, and do you have any mountains that don't have "Kill a man" in the name?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ranestone posted:

Some Turkish archaologists think they found the tomb of Santa Claus/St. Nicholas recently:

"The crypt of St. Nicholas, popularly known as Santa Claus, was found in the famed saint’s namesake church in the Demre district of Antalya, a southern region of Turkey believed to be his birthplace. The tomb was revealed during a digital analysis of the ground beneath the 5th century Byzantine church." - http://www.history.com/news/archaeologists-might-have-found-the-tomb-of-santa-claus

The tomb itself is being protected by mosaic on the floor of the church, so archaologists are still trying to figure out how to dig/break into it.

The idea of maybe possibly not digging up St Nicholas was rejected out of hand. "What do you think is going to happen," one researcher was overheard to say. "What, like his revenant is going to stride the earth in some kind of grisly Santapocalypse? Superstitious nonsense."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

In ancient China you actually had to collect a certain number of heads in order to be promoted.

Of course, no-one said it had to be different heads each time. And thus began the legend of the Dragonballs...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

London has rented a couple of properties from The Crown since the 13th century. Nobody knows where they are, but the city still pays rent annually of: a sharp axe, a dull knife, six large horseshoes, and sixty one nails.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/london-is-still-paying-rent-to-the-queen-on-a-property-leased-in-1211

Ok ok yeah but what about the guy whose rent is that he has to fight anyone the king wants him to

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the first Europeans to write sympathetically about Native American cultures was a conquistador named Cow Head. Like, he was Spanish so he had one of those long multi-name names, but his family name was Cabeza de Vaca. Head of Cow.

It's a small thing but I like it.

Wish my name was Cow Head.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love that Philogelos exists. I love that it shows that some jokes were already old when they were written down nearly two thousand years ago.

I think my favorite ancient text is the Edwin Smith Papyrus. It's not funny at all - it's an Egyptian medical text that is at least 3600 years old. It talks about various types of traumatic injuries - head, neck, chest, limbs - and tells the reader how to treat them if possible, and what to do for the poor sap if no treatment is possible. (This amounts to "sit them up, make them comfortable, wait for them to die or not".) There's a few magic spells in it, but most of the treatments are entirely realistic - wrap wounds or pack them with clean cloth, sew cuts closed, splint fractures, apply raw meat to stop bleeding, or honey to treat a wound long term (keeps the bacteria out). It describes various parts of the brain; it describes spinal injuries that might result in paralysis.

I find it a moving and humbling read. It was written by people who cared about whether their charges lived or died, and presumably it was written so that more people could be helped to recover from trauma. It was also written by people who cared about the reputation of the medical profession. Each injury recommends the reader tell the patient, "this is an ailment I can treat", "this is an ailment I can contend with", or "this is an ailment I can do nothing for". It doesn't have the reader doing unnecessary treatments for fatal injuries, that would inevitably fail to solve the problem and make the reader look bad.

A PDF of the original translation
A more accessible translation, except it's a Flash page

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

I find roman emperor Maximinus Thrax interesting solely based on the fact that his reported height was 8'6". I'm guessing there is some extreme exaggeration there, but he does look like he had gigantism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximinus_Thrax

Uh, are we just going to gloss over that his name was "Max Thrax"? That's a name I'd expect for the protagonist of an Apogee shareware sidescroller.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

People received coats of arms that often alluded to their work. With that in mind, can anyone guess what Steven Varallyay's job was? (please note, v. NSFW)

This is the 1997 Toyota Tacoma water pump gasket of heraldry

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Do drunk elephants see pink humans?

Mostly they drink so they can forget about pink humans

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did they also plan to label the monkeys 1-16 and 18-20 because I hear that works every tine

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Off course

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a few of those in English (and I've never taken Latin, I just like this poo poo, and it pops into my head on occasion)

Brutus ad sum iam forte
Caesar aderat
Brutus sic in omnibus
Caesar sic in at

That's, Brutus had some jam for tea, Caesar had a rat. Brutus sick in omnibus, Caesar sick in hat

alternatively

Brutus aderat forte
Caesar ad sum iam
Brutus sic in omnibus
Caesar sic intram

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

So that means, the person with the best Arnie imitation in the world is Arnie?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Whether or not it's true, it should be standard practice to this day.

Doo doo doo, lookin' out my front door

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a slow quiet fart

E: I just remembered the clathrate gun hypothesis and now I'm sad and scared

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

They largely disproved that one.

Well! That's a nice thing to have read this morning.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

It's a shame no one picked up on the Boney M reference I used

I refuse to acknowledge boney m ever since I saw that docudrama about the guy stranded on the mountain who hallucinated "Brown Girl In The Ring" for hours on end

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keru posted:

As always:
Missing the tiny little Bugs lifting his arms in triumph but we'll allow it anyway

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A couple years ago when I was reminded this existed, I thought, man, Grace Slick must roll over in her grave every time this is played.

Then I found out a. she ain't dead, and b. she was still the singer for Starship when they recorded it. She's Bush-scale culpable.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The guy who drew that political cartoon of a merry fatass farting on a picture of King George (That is TREASON Johnny!) was a prolific cartoonist and died super early, of typhus at the age of 21

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scandinavian explorer: ok
Giant wearing an enormous fur coat: makes sense
Had a wooden leg: that's only fair
Caught in an avalanche, escaped via frozen poop knife: understandable
Won tens of thousands of dollars on a game show: my brain does the mental equivalent of the horrible grinding sound when you shift gears in a manual car but you let the clutch out before putting it in gear

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they did it was Jonesy's pubes from Seventh platoon, he's a real prankster that Jonesy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vindolanda posted:

Joseph Lister, 1st Baron Lister (1827-1912), was the pioneer of antiseptic surgery.

And now I understand where the name of the mouthwash came from

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

Public hair sounds reasonable if you're wanting a lock of hair but it's a secret affair so you can't cut the hair on your head

Cutting a lock of public hair in honor of a secret affair seems counterproductive

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not used to seeing the word "bulgar" and my brain keeps trying to interpret it as a horn player, a thief, a type of wheat, or a hot ground beef sandwich.

I am aware of the nation of Bulgaria.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

And is also where we get the words czar, tsar, and kaiser.

As for Asterix, we can make some guesses. It starts shortly after the end of the Gallic Wars, so 50BCE at the earliest. Asterix and Cleopatra must be set in 48B or so, since Caesar is in Egypt but not yet romantically involved with Cleopatra. Asterix and Son, 20 books later, must be set in 47 or early 46, given how old Caesarion is. And of course Caesar is assassinated in 44.

So, that gives us a span of five years, tops, for all 30-odd books.

In the Aubrey-Maturin series, author Patrick O'Brian crams five or six years worth of sea voyage and character development into six historical months of 1813. For an earlier book, he suggested that its events take place in a notional 1812a and 1812b. What a shame that the Napoleonic Wars did not last another thirty years...

(Also he had no idea when he wrote the first few novels that he'd be writing boat fight adventures right up until he died, and these first ones involved some large time skips that could have been used rather more efficiently, if he'd known)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Meanwhile alligator is just an anglicization of El Lagarto (The Lizard)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wheatpuppy posted:

Is it a family name like Boutros Boutros-Ghali?

I will never not sing his name to the Davy Crockett theme thanks to an episode of Letterman I saw once

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know the full story here, but Stalin died in '58 and his successor, Nikita Khrushchev, was notable for his policy of de-emphasizing Stalin's influence on the Soviet government. I'd bet he ordered whoever was in charge of reissuing the film to remove as much of Stalin as possible from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

barbecue at the folks posted:

I just learned that Renato Bialetti, the son of the inventor of the Moka Pot and the long-time CEO of the eponymous company, was buried in an urn shaped like... you guessed it,

Not surprised they decided to cremate his body :v:

If this becomes a trend the funeral for the guy who invented the aeropress is going to be wild