Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BattleCattle posted:

...The gently caress is X-ray and Vav?

RT commentators, Ray Narverez Jr. and Gavin Free, were doing a guide for Halo 3's terminals. Gavin called Ray "X-Ray" as a joke and it lead to a discussion on Superhero names. Gavin decided his would be Vav. Pretending to be the team X-Ray and Vav became a running joke for years on the channel.

X-Ray and Vav became popular with the fans and the two commentators would often dress as the superheroes at conventions. Many fans followed suit.

Two years ago, the RT animation team decided to make a flash series under the premise of the running joke, like those SNL character movies of the 80s and 90s. It often uses the Achievement Hunter's running jokes to make characters like the Mad King Ryan, Mogar, and the Corpirate.

Never watched it. Probably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone want to talk about the game they have up for stream greenlight?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Well it is pretty anime. It's like they just took every popular anime and stuck it in a blender then poured it over their favorite anime girls. It's not that surprising that this is popular in Japan considering both Naruto and Bleach are popular as well.

Bleach hasn't been popular for a long, long time. That series is dragging itself on and on without the good sense to just end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

It looks surprisingly good considering well, it's RT.

I'm, personally, not a fan of Dynasty Warrior-style games. It does make sense for this series.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shipping has always perplexed me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Battle Cattle, get out while you can. You don't want to turn out like us zombies in the bleach thread.

So, is season 3 of RWBY any good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Strangely, I don't mind the music, but I like buttrock.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone else feel that the writers both playing characters who have romantic relationships that are relatively big plot points a bit mary-sue-self-insert?

Covok
May 27, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

Miles still hosed up the last half of the season, though. What a jerk.

You mean in regards for them building up the big attack and then it being just a stale fart?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Level Slide posted:

Was it said what the prize was for winning the tournament in the third season?

I believe it's like the Oylmpics. Win and your kingdom is revered.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, they did say that humans are, even if most of the series doesn't support this theme, royally hosed. The creatures of grimm are constantly attacking them and pushing against them, allegedly. It makes sense that only a few kingdoms would exist. It would be hard for humans to group together and form civilization without proper defenses. If things were as dire as they make it out to be, I'm surprised they even have kingdoms and aren't just nomadic and trying to stay a few steps ahead of the grimm.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Web novels are often bad because there is no vetting process between the creator and consumer. All the crap that publishers throw out makes it to the public with web novels. To be fair, sometimes this is a good thing, but usually publishers are right to throw some works out.

Also, a lot of people think they can write when they can't.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dan7el posted:

Would someone please post a link to the web novel thread? I looked in the Book Barn forum, and all I could find is this:

The Book Barn › Web Serial Thread: Wildbow Fanclub

I doubt that's it.

You would think that this is some USA-based company's first foray into the world of 3-D animation, etc. so we can forgive them for a crappy product. But, then I remember that we have DreamWorks, Pixar, etc. And, then I think. Why can't RWBY have that kind of production quality?

Is it because Rooster Teeth is just a bunch of amateur hacks who put together a company and is producing something? I don't really know. Honestly. Seems that way. Seems like just bunch of folks got together and started a company and produced what they could and are actually selling a product.

Is it because of the tools they're using? Maybe the images are that much harder to render and articulate?

I guess they're scratching an itch. They seem to be selling.

Without really analyzing the Killer Bean video too in-depth, my initial impression is that the Killer Bean video has better production quality than a lot of the RWBY stuff. So, I don't know why RWBY is as bad as it is in many places. Initially, I thought it was all on purpose. (Maybe it's a lot easier to articulate a coffee bean than a person, though)

Also, seems to me that the whole Monty Oum creating a thing with the idea of cosplay and what-not in mind when creating said thing (like his treatise on RWBY naming conventions) could be a very different and fairly new way of working on a new thing. Cosplay-first show development. Maybe they already to this type of pre-planning in Japan, but I doubt Pixar creates a show with cosplay in mind beforehand. Merchandising, certainly.

Just an observation, really.

I saw a picture of one of Monty Oum's modified keyboards once. I can see why he'd remove the F1 key. I've hit that drat key one too many times myself in the past.

It's three fold:

1) Monty wanted to use Poser. Poser isn't the best program. It's what he felt he could produce best in and probably didn't want to experiment with a new program when finally hitting getting to produce his own series.
2) Roosterteeth is small and has a small team of animators. This hurts them more than a bit. Doubly so because they want to mocap which likely adds more work to their plat. Also, crunchtime is company culture over there if I remember their RvB dvd commentary from years ago.
3) Some of their other 3D animations look a little better, but I think some of the look comes from the choice to make it look more like an anime. Their other animations look better since they aren't simplifying and flattening the colors and textures as much.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I mean, that's all true, but it's not why a small, Texas-based entertainment company of a little over 100 people, IIRC, can't produce Pixar level animation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Chip and Ironicus' retsuwatch of Xin could be worth it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Did Tite Kubo do this adaption? It has a few of his more recent trappings like doing less in 19 pages than some can safely do in 6.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ccs posted:

Range Murata, one of the best illustrators in Japan, did friggin fanart for RWBY. drat.

I think one of those was actually promotional art. I swear I saw that as manga promo art. Or something that looks like it. Or the place where I saw it (likely not official) just took that art from gis and used it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I don't like how this and last season have basically been following the same narrative structure: the first half is just spinning the wheels in place for mostly pointless worldbuilding, and the second is the actual major conflict that ends up resolving like a wet fart.

I mean, as fun(?) as the tournament stuff is... What loving purpose does it actually serve in the grand scheme of things? Almost assuredly jack and poo poo, right? So... Why waste time on something that'll become completely inconsequential when the "real" plot kicks in, and not just start with the actual plot from the getgo?

Tournaments are a common tactic in Shonen manga to boost ratings. They allow you to show off a lot of character's abilities, are an easy excuse for big battles, and allow for spectacle.

Good shonen manga tend to intergrate the tournament into the plot. But RWBY...

Edit: I know RWBY isn't a shonen manga, but it is borrowing from it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

wait, rwby has a japanese dub? when? where? subbed?!?!

e; from what i can find its only available as full volume blurays, or am i just missing something really obvious?

If you want proof it exists, here it is.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The GIG posted:

He was also based on an in joke from the Achievement Hunter videos.

What joke?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Decided to sit down and watch season 3. It was a big improvement over the first two. Animation, acting, and dialouge was still pretty bad, but I was enterained. The battles were pretty cool and, once they started killing people off, it was fun seeing who'd go next.

There was still some dumb moments, but this city siege actually got accross that the Grimm are dangerous instead of the dumb s2 siege and cutting out the dumb, student side characters in s4 seems for the best: the cast was getting bloated.

Covok
May 27, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is a distinct lack of filler and oxymoronic characters.

Well, there was some filler in season 1 and some of the characters could be called oxymoronic.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

I mean more the general setting themes, not the show itself. Child soldier combat training with everyone having unique powersets and crazy weapon bullshit, each town having a battle school that sends its trainees to fight with each other in a tournament to show off their military power, etc.

It's not a great analogy but it just kind of fit and I thought it was weird.

I bet it was an inspiration. The series is inspired heavily by anime in general and seems to have a bit of a shueshia comics vibe to the whole deal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Something about this drawing makes Penny look like a six year old girl. I don't get why.

Anyway, it's a pretty adorable comic.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, this is going to be a thing I know this video was uploaded on April 1st, but that was when Roosterteeth was founded, apparently, and they don't do pranks for the day as a result, according to the RT site comments.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think it's because they realized main RWBY is going to a more action-driven kind of tone so they didn't want to alienate all the older fans/RvB fans who liked RT's series more when they were more sitcom-like.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

I thought they were using some weird version of the hatsune miku animated software poo poo

For Chibi or the main series? Because the main series uses a version of poser as the late Monty Oum was most familiar with that animation software and they didn't want a shift to a new animation software to hinder his fight choreography.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Is seriously hope RWBY is not animated using MMD.

:wtc:

MMD? I'm not an animator so I do not know what you mean. We know they used Poser, an outdated version, as they mentioned so on site extras and an ad for poser would appear at the end of the older videos.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm actually pretty okay with RWBY Chibi if only because I do miss when Red vs Blue was just a dumb internet show I used to watch during recess or something similar. Though, some of that may be nostalgia.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Who is Shane?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skimmed it. I think one part said they're changing from poser to maya. That a step-up? Know nothing of animation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Stormgale posted:

I skimmed it but it had poo poo about S3 in it, supposedly Pyrrha was supposed to 1 on 1 cinder until Jaune showed up and got her killed.

To be frank, that's what I was expecting would happen.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Yes for quality no for speed.

The show could use a quality boost. But, they need to manage time even better than before.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Seemed like a neater end, and makes her end seem less suicidal.

Honestly reading through it seems guy had the "Animation is a dream hobby" dream and got hit hard that Rooster teeth treat their poo poo like a business.

Roosterteeth is a business. Surprised people don't realize that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Stormgale posted:

The original plan was the fight to happen, Pyrrha to hold her ground then get killed when jaune distracted her, had to take a hit for him etc... or something (by my reading)

But they seem so friendly and not buisnesslike on camera etc... etc...

I know you're taking the piss, but, regardless, I'm just gonna say that's because they want to look unbusiness-like: people hate busines-like stuff influencing entertainment.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh this could get very ugly very quickly.

Maybe. RT is a business so they'll probably just handled this all behind the scenes and either release a press statement or just hope it dies on its own from lack of exposure.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

She also formally left the company under not-so-great circumstances, so she's not exactly coming from an unbiased position.

Wait, what?

Covok
May 27, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

There was a thing that went down, what, three years ago? Where she and Barbara had an altercation where Kathleen thought she wasn't being a good enough "role model".

Weird. I mean, what does Barbara even do to be a good or bad "role model?" Hell, when does the PR lead of a media company need to be a "role model" for their customers?

Never considered Roosterteeth an e-drama source so this is weird for me. Not that I think bad poo poo don't happen there, but that I usually don't hear about it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

lol looks like you go can go pretty far just by switching to a decent program not using loving poser!

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nothing about RWBY has an actual connection to mythology or folk lore beyond "hey this happened, it was cool, lets name/design a character as a shout out to that thing and pick a colour for it." I don't think it's really stretched but is just conservation of detail brought to its logical conclusion.

To be fair, that's pretty accurate to most battle manga aimed at a teenage demographic that borrows anything from mythology or culture.

• Locked thread