Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

SRM posted:

So what does this mean exactly? Just elite units are good at smaller point levels, since big 20 man blocks aren't terribly flexible?

Great OP, Panascope. When I burn out on Orks I'll have some Ultras to post here.

Not necessarily, just that you need to strike a balance between how much you invest in your troops vs special units at lower points. Troops in 30k are expensive to buy into but adding more dudes costs lest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Alright 30k hams , I'm at a bit of crossroads. I just preordered the Betrayal at Calth set and with that I have pretty decent core of an army I can play around with. So with that I've been thinking of allied detachment that I could get somewhere down the line for my Word Bearers. I have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities:

1) One of the cult lists from book 5. I have plenty of cultists lying around and I could use them as big blobs sitting on objectives. Plus it's still keeps with the Word Bearers theme.

2) Mechanicum. I've always had a soft spot for robots plus I imagine there shooting would complement the Word Bearers CCQ.

3) Demons. This is the army I have no experience playing with/against so I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses are at all. Obviously they'll play well with the word bearers theme as well.

Feel free to weigh in and give your experience on each. This is something I'm doing way down the line so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

TKIY posted:

Okay say I'm sold on doing Alpha Legion. As a 40k vet with no Marine models and I'm a total 30k virgin. I want to make a standard 1,500-2,000 point list and I've made my peace with buying some resin.

What makes the most sense to add on to the Calth box, especially if I'm fond of terminators and dreads?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

First piece of advice is that 1,500 points for HH is really constrictive and it only really starts to open at 1,850-2,000 points. If you like terminators I believe that the Alpha Legion have their own special terminator unit that has cool war gear and some nice rules. I also believe there is a legion specific dread for the Alpha's (purely cosmetic). Other than that the Alpha Legion rules and Rite of War allow them to be pretty flexible and their Rite also allows them to steal units from other Legion. I'd also suggest picking up the Red Books if you haven't already.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Logar lost invisibility because it's a bullshit spell. If you do run invis daemons you should house rule it to be BS1 or something. They've been pretty good about keeping that sort of nonsense out of the game.

Bulbasaur nailed it. In the newest book Lorgar lost access to telepathy and instead now has access Divination and Telekinesis. He can still pick and choose if he is transfigured and all that. I'm actually a fan of the change as it makes him an even better force multiplier. I also just hated invisibility (at least straight out of the book) on principle.

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know anybody who runs Daemon allies, actually. Sisko might have more info for you, but since they are one of the better 40K books, I imagine they'll be fairly solid in 30k land.

As stated earlier I know very little about chaos demons and after much thought I thought I think the Cult lists make for better ally than demons and would probably be a lot more fun for the opponent.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Basically, what's your tolerance for randomness and what exactly do you want out of your allies? What do you want them to bring that you do not have, either due to the limitations of your codex in general or your army's particular construction?

For me personally I don't mind randomness but from what I've heard about the Daemons is that there is quite a bit of randomly generated war gear and so on and to be perfectly honest that might be a bit of pain as I'd rather not waste the time I get to play with my plastic space barbies. Other than that I really don't know a whole lot about the army though I do have a soft spot for Nurgle from just a purely fluff point of view. I'd appreciate any insights people have on this army.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

Nurgle is very resilient and slow (cannot Run), which should not be surprising. Most Nurgle units are considered to be strong choices because they have Shrouded and access to Poison. Nurgle Daemon Princes with wings are hilariously good because they can fly in and Jink if fired upon, getting a 2+ cover save. It is always best to outfit Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes with two Greater Gifts because the choices that they offer are strong and give you access to a powerful weapon choice if your roll isn't that great.

Thanks for posting that! I have some plaguebearers and Herald that I got randomly from a relative some maybe I could go down the Daemon root. We'll at least I have time to think which route I want go.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Since I enjoy reading this thread I thought it be a good idea to contribute to it with some WIP's. Today I managed to get some decent hobby time and I spent most of it on these here Gal Vorbak and a little with Erebus. I'm aiming to have these bad boys done by the end of the week and if I don't finish them this thread has free reign to call me nasty names (like Bulbasaur).

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Pimp! What are you going to do with the boltguns?

Also which one of these dumpstered my Archmagos last time we played?

Think I'll got just with standard black but alot of them have got crazy mutations so Ill be sure to them justice.

I think its the guy with sphincter for a face.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

People poo poo on their relic, but almost nobody is immune to fear. If somebody has 6 infantry type units on the board turn 1 you stand a good chance of having a few of them run away before the game even begins.

Or maybe they'll get the Iron Warriors treatment and get something cool like +1 WS against immobile vehicles.

Can you explain what is so horrifically wrong about the Iron Warriors? I've looked through their rules and they don't seem half bad.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

panascope posted:

Wrecker gets people extra mad because it's literally useless in most games.

Ah ok that makes sense. Why don't you house rule some of that stuff as you guys seem fond of that anyway? Maybe instead of wrecker they get sunder or maybe the Warsmith gets Ignores Cover as well as his unit?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Alrighty Goons , I have list that could use some critique. Just to clarify, the praetor and Gal Vorbak are rolling around in the Spartan while the Navigator will go with the Veteran Squad with outflank.

+++ Word Bearers (1850pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1850pts) ++

+ HQ (235pts) +

Legion Praetor (185pts) [Burning Lore, Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Pair of Lightning Claws]
····Master of the Legion [Pride of the Legion]

Navigator (50pts)

+ Troops (765pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Gun, Outflank, 2x Power Weapon]

+ Elites (210pts) +

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren (210pts) [4x Dark Brethren]
····Dark Martyr [Artificer Armour]

+ Heavy Support (640pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (185pts)

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (340pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115pts)

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XVII: Word Bearers]

Created with BattleScribe

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Shazaminator posted:

Don't Word Bearers always have to take a Chaplain / Centurion because of the Charismatic Leadership rule or am I misreading it?

Good catch. For the longest time I had been running Erebus who counts as a chaplain.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

panascope posted:

Lorgar did nothing wrong.

Ftfy.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Killer_Bees! posted:

So a bunch of mates and I have jumped head first into 30k. We are all building Zone Mortalis boards because its fun has hell to play and currently slow growing our forces as we go. We all grabbed Calth boxes and chose our respective legions. I foolishly picked Night Lords because ADB's stories are great and I like the idea of underhanded Marines. I haven't had much experience with painting free hand stuff like Lightning etc, so these guys are really my first go at it.

The Terminators and the Dread still have heaps of work to go on them, but I am just trying to push out a 1000pt ZM force for a big game on friday on a huge custom built board.

Sweet Jesus , those are some sweet looking Night Lords and that lightning is ace. If those are just WIP then I can't wait to see the end result. Great work and have fun with HH.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

So I think this will be my default 1850 list for the foreseeable future. I'm open to any advice on how to improve this lis and to expand it as well. Just a few clarifications , the chaplain will be riding with the outflanking vets and the Praetor will be riding with the Gal Vorbak in the Spartan.

+++ Word Bearers (1850pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1850pts) ++

+ HQ (245pts) +

Legion Centurion (95pts) [Artificer Armour]
····Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Praetor (150pts) [Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade]
····Master of the Legion [Pride of the Legion]

+ Troops (765pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Gun, Outflank, 2x Power Weapon]

+ Elites (200pts) +

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren (200pts) [4x Dark Brethren]

+ Heavy Support (640pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (185pts)

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (340pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115pts)

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XVII: Word Bearers]

Created with BattleScribe

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Germ posted:

I appreciate that! Usually, I like my style. In this case, though, I was hoping for more of a graphic, hard-line look.New day, new challenge!

Seconding , the fact that your stuff is always dope as hell. I'm going to be painting up some nurgle daemons in the near future and I specifically thought of yours and Peirre's demons as inspiration.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

With massive thanks to Bulbasaur for ongoing love and support and the chain idea, here are my Breachers. They still need water effects and dullcote, but I was too excited to wait:

Great stuff. I didnt even realize the bases were incomplete until I read that post.

I guess since were all posting cool models Ill post my BAC Word Bearer Contemptor who's about 95% done with a few mini details to wrap up.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 2, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

I probably missed it but is there any news on the new Word Bearer ROW?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

Also to break things up have some WiP salamanders who I'm going to arm with 10 flamers and have roll around in a heavy flamer rhino. Optimum? No. Dope? Yes.

Those Salamanders are :eyepop: ! I especially love the scaled tabbard , cloaks, and shoulder pads. Great work duder.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hey Mango Polo. I asked last page but it probably got lost in the shuffle but is the new Word Bearers Rite of War the rumored one that makes Gal Vorbak troops?

Galaspar posted:

Here's some of the first of my Death Guard.

I freely admit that the Chaplain looks a little goofy, the sculpt is prehistoric and he was painted mostly for the fun of it. Happy with how the tactical guys ended up through.

Today is a good day for Heresy!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hencoe posted:

Admech isnt well received around here and really I only have myself to blame, so Im trying to avoid them as much as possible.

I was talking with Bulbasuar and I definitely think a scorpius wouldn't be half bad in that ROW.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

You never know!
A badger patriot should be a good choice for keeping things simple with base coating, zenithal highlights and applying clear colors right?

As someone who owns a Badger Patriot , the answer is yes. Badger also sell conversion kits if you want to do finer detail with the airbrush and they also have amazing customer service should anything go wrong. As long as you clean it properly the Patriot basically is the AK-47 of airbrushes and will not disappoint.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Done deal then, and I was just looking at your WB dreadnought like half an hour ago.

No problem. My entire WB army so far has been metallic undercoat with a thinned Tamiya Clear Red and it hasn't been a problem for my Patriot. I have to say seeing all the new stuff has really lit a fire under my rear end to get some more stuff painted.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

After building a Scorpius yesterday I realized that I really hate hybrid kits and I now know why Bulbasaur takes forever . That aside I love the model and look forward to painting and playing it.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hixson posted:

I read this in Ricks voice

Yeah he got a sweet demon planet in hell instead

Also he got turned into a monkey

Speaking of Magnus I just finished A Thousands Sons today. It was pretty fun and entertaining read and enjoyed the insights into Magnus and the Emperor. I will also say that if I had read this first instead of Betrayer and Aurelian I would have A Thousand Sons army instead of a Word Bearers army.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Out of curiosity, those who don't use battlescribe, what if any army builder app do you guys use ?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

DeadGame posted:

Bulba, how can you fail Perturabo. Again and again, rejection. Again and again, failure. Your primarch gives everything to make your legion the greatest and you spurn him. Thankless, that mantle. He bears it alone. How long must the decimation continue until you return to the fold?

Speaking of Alpha Legion, I may now be a Word Bearers player. I'm a little tired of the "we can't tell you anything about what the Alpha Legion are doing, we'd have to kill you...besides we don't know anyway." And reading The First Heretic has me mos def converted to the cause of the Urizen.

Sup 17th Legion Buddy! If you have any questions about the army just let me know. I also think Peirre the Mime plays Word Bearers but he hasn't posted here in a while.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

X-post from the miniature painting thread.

The Sisko posted:

That's a beautiful tank right there. Speaking of the Horus Heresy I decided to revisit everyone's favorite primarch Lorgar. I was very happy with his armor or his face so I just decided to redo everything. Still have a few details rap up as well as reattaching his mace but Im really happy with the new and improved Lorgar. As always comments and criticism are welcome.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Finally got off my rear end and painted some duders :

The Sisko posted:

Still got a few details to rap up but by and large these guy are done. As always feedback and criticism are welcome.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SRM posted:

The Heresy train ain't got no brakes

TOOT! TOOT!

Just finished these bad boys today. All they need are some transfers and they'll be ready to spill the blood of Ultramarines!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Your ultras are the only version I've looked at and said, "yeah those are awesome looking."*

*except those 2nd ed throwback ones from last year some goon made

They're the same person :ssh:

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 17, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Killer_Bees! posted:

So as a side project I have some Word Bearers I am putting together slowly out of spare Calth parts, some dark vengeance bits, and any Chaosy looking stuff I can rustle up.
This weekend I had a crack at doing a quick test paint on a conversion I had done, I tried to get the crazy religious man look going on these.

Not finished of course, but you get the general idea, was thinking of putting them on lava basis to go with my new lava mat.

Those are some really sick looking Word Bearers even if they're not finished. Can't wait to see the finished product.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SRM posted:

Why would I post guys from that garbage legion when I can post guys from the best legion

It's kind of weird how we keep posting Heresy minis at the same time.

The Sisko posted:

We meet again my old friend.

Had a lot of fun with this guy , especially with the little vials he's got all over. I'm especially happy with how the transfer came out.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Out of curiosity, is there way to have a single Knight as a Lord of War choice. I ask because I've been painting up a Knight who in my fluff is freeblade that oathed himself to the Word Bearers.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

This isn't new. You can already take one to two knights as a single Lord of War choice in 30k. The 25% limitation goes a long way to stopping that dumb poo poo though. I'd love to see 40k-proper adopt that too, but fat chance of that. :v:

The reason I asked was because I remember that the LOW had to be drawn from either the primary detachment or from Apocalypse datasheets. This wasn't for any event , I was just wondering if there was a rules framework in 30k for it. If I was to bring a Knight or two it would be with my opponents OK.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Playing a narrative event on the 30th where I'll be representing Word Bearers, so I've got a weekend full of assembling and painting to look forward too. Part of the narrative is that our Warlord is a campaign character using the rules from Conquest. In typical chaos fashion my Warlord got +1 Ld and his Warlord trait for the campaign is Fearless and IWND :v:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

Does sniper make them Heavy?

I'm probably going to expand my demonic allies to have a fully fledged 2k Khorne force. How much would people rage against a double Bloodthirster list?

Sniper does not make them heavy though to be fair weapons with sniper rule usually have heavy rule as well.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 26, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

So yesterday I played in a 30k narrative event with some local players. It was a great time overall with lots of great looking armies though since we ended up being down a man . As a result there was 2v1 in both rounds of event. I was on the Traitor side with my Word Bearers and managed to snap a few photos. This isn't so much a batrep , as me trying to remember what happened with some pretty pictures accompanying:

Game 1

This first game was 1500 points and I was up against a very infantry heavy Iron Hands player. He had a Leviathan in a drop pod and then bascially some Immortals, 1 or 2 tac squads , and Forge Lord with a conversion beamer. I brought a fairly balanced list with 3 vet squads (all with the Marksmen tactic) in Rhino's with a Chaplain and my Warlord sprinkled in 2 of the sqauds, with a Dorito dread and Scorpius as fire support , and finally a 5 man squad of Gal Vorbak as a min death star (aka distraction). The mission was Forlorn Hope , out of one of the black books, as was the funky deployment. Per the Mission rules I ended up being the defender.

Long story short : The Scorpius was MVP. It ended up glancing the Leviathan to death over the first 2 turns. If it had not then Leviathan would've basically caused havoc in my back lines. My Gal Vorbak deep struck on turn 2 and basically distracted the Immortals and in turn 2 made a 10 inch charge. From then on they tied up the Immortals before sweeping them in the last game turn. In the end up I won 7 VP to 0.

Game 2

This game was a 2v1 ; with me and an Emperors Children (who had some amazing paint jobs) player teaming up with our 1500 lists to take on 3000 points of White Scars and Solar Auxila. The mission was Tide of Carnage with Vangaurd Strike Deployment. I don't really remember too much going on for a while until the opposing player Outflanked his bike squads and and Malcador Infernus. Then poo poo hit the fan and it became a slaughter on both sides. We eventually blew up the Infernus but it took alot of our armies down with it in the ensuing explosion. My Gal Vorbak showed up late due to reserve rolls but they ended up Deep striking behind some Solar Auxila and slaughtering them to the man. The game ended in a draw.

P.s The sand bases were Emperors Children Javelins but all players agreed that models probably shouldn't be that close to the board edge for risk of falling of the base.

My favorite of the bunch:

Overall the Campaign day was a win for the Traitors and we'll be getting some strategic bonuses going into the next phase of the Campaign.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Not enough love for your batrep. Sisko spent about a year fine tuning and carefully putting together this army. By all accounts you performed really well for your first event. We played a few times with my Iron Hands and while I take no credit, I hope it helped you smash that other hands player into loyalist dust. From the pictures you took, I'd say yours was the best painted army there to boot.

Thanks for the kind words. Having the event definitely lit a fire under my rear end to finalize my list and paint to it. Your advice on list building and tactics, and my experience playing your Iron Hands Iron Warriors , really helped me in the first game. I also made some flash cards of certain units to help minimize any rules errors. The second game I made some mistakes , chief among them was over investing my units to try and take out the bikes. The event was also great because I got a feel for what my army's strength and weaknesses were. I'm definitely in some need of a mobile anti vehicle threat and to that affect I'm got a pair of Javelins. I also respectfully disagree about having the best painted army. That honor goes to the Emperors Children player , who had a nice crisp purple with some wonderful weathering and gold trim. I'll edit some pictures of the other armies as I only played with about a 3rd of the group.

Edit: These pictures are not mine.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

I am very interested in this. What sorts of things would you put on the cards?
The Flashcards were rudimentary for the most part. They consisted of Stats, wargear, weapon profiles , and any special rules that I thought were important to remember or I was not used to using. I used an old Google doc template to format the cards and once I was done I just cut and glued them to the cards.