Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I've been waiting to see someone use that Repulsor Executioner Techmarine helmet on Fierros, and it does not disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Looks like plastic to me, too. Resin hair would have finer detail.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Corrode posted:

I feel like if it was plastic they would have made a big deal about it, and I also can't see them deciding that Saul Tarvitz is the guy to be a plastic character.

It could just be that 3D printing the master makes for a more plastic-y look on the resin molds.

(Also they've been shifting to a more 'Eavy Metal paint style for their Heresy releases over the past few years -- contrast these guys with these guys (or if you want a real stark contrast, these guys, though comparing anything to that old oiled metal semi-candy-coat Iron Hands scheme is probably unfair) -- and it's possible that just reads more plastic to me because I'm used to seeing it on plastic models, so I've internalized the more military-modeling-influenced painting style of FW from five years ago as resin-signifying and the more clean-with-edge-highlights 'Eavy Metal style as plastic-signifying.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 18, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Alternately-alternately, what we're seeing is some sort of FW-GW design convergence where despite being different teams working in different materials, the crossover, training, and skill sharing between them is now so prevalent that the FW resin sculptors have just internalized the slightly-softer-edges visual language of plastic sculpting, such that new resin sculpts tend to look more plasticy because that's just the style the sculptors have internalized as The Way Miniatures Are Supposed To Look. Or maybe the above, but just for the particular sculptor who sculpted this mini in specific.

Point being there's a bunch of ways it could have looked a bit like a plastic sculpt without being a plastic sculpt.

Or maybe they're going to announce a new Heresy plastic starter box and Tarvitz is a named character in it, like Greigor in Burning of Prospero. Or maybe they're shifting the whole line to plastic and merging the studios and it's the end of ForgeWorld o noes!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yes, exactly. To summarize:

It could be plastic:
-As some sort of a one-off promotional thing, presumably using the same cheaper-lower-durability-aluminum-molds GW uses for the store anniversary models.
-As part of a new starter kit, like 30k Greigor and Magnus EDIT: Ahriman.
-As part of some as-yet-unannounced initiative to shift more of Heresy into plastic going forward.
-For some other reason.

It could be resin that looks like plastic:
-Because the practice of using 3D printed CAD sculpts produces masters more quickly and that are more easily replaced for creation of new moulds, but which hold less detail than the old hand-sculpted masters.
-Because FW is shifting more toward a GW plastic sculpting style and visual language, whether due to cross-training or shared sculptors or whatever.
-Because this particular FW sculptor trends more toward GW plastic sculpting style in his work, for whatever reason.
-Because the studio model is painted and/or lit more in the style of the GW 'Eavy Metal style than classic 30k style, and we are subconsciously reading this as "more plastic looking."
-Any combination of the above.
-For some other reason.

Or it could be resin that looks like resin and people like me are reading too much into it.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 18, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
It's almost certainly not plastic.

The embossed details on that shoulder protrude forward as well as sideways -- the only way to make a plastic-moulded shoulder look like that would be to do it in two pieces with a seam along the center. You can see a similar phenomenon more clearly in comparison between the resin Mk VI studded shoulder pads (notice how all the studs are properly round) vs. plastic studded shoulder pads (which are round in the center but become sort of teardrop-shaped to the sides because they have to be sculpted so the mold doesn't undercut them).

You can see the same thing on the leg I've circled (and, really, everywhere else on the model) -- the details radiate in all directions from the "core" of the leg. If he were plastic, they'd favor one axis.

It's possible he's a very cleverly sliced plastic model that's had extensive work done to conceal every mold line, but it's way more likely he's just resin. So, no, they probably didn't just stealth-announce the new Istvaan starter set.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

SpaceViking posted:

When you and your boys are on a road trip to Terra. Night Lords Praetor and Command Squad.

I really like the pure white helmet.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Killer_Bees! posted:

In light of the faint hope of new boxes sets I have started up a Dark Angels side project. Trying to get a not-black black has been fun. Now to see if it can translate into tank bodies.

How did you do that?

EDIT: To be clear I think I know how you did the metallic edge highlights, that's rad. I mean, how did you accomplish that velvety black? You say two separate black paints and a wash, but which two and how did you apply them?

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 28, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Who the hell saw umbra bolters ever coming back.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

The new version of the Tartaros upgrades for the plastic kit are great but uh kind of delayed. They re-did all of the resin weapon kits for the new power armour plastics really fast after the boxed sets released iirc?

It's not new. Both the Tartaros power axes and the Umbra-pattern bolters are old kits that disappeared during the first wave of Last Chance to Buy ForgeWorld discontinuations back in... 2018?

And now they're back!

A while back they mentioned doing a campaign of 3D scanning of the old pre-CAD masters used to make the silicon molds they use for resin minis -- the new White Scar hoverbikes are apparently built on a foundation of a 3D scan of the legion hoverbikes. Maybe this is the first fruit of that -- the ability to 3D print new masters whenever the old ones are damaged or wear out should let them more easily make new molds.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

I know the bolters are just a re-issue but I'm pretty sure the axe kit is new and reworked for the plastic Tartaros vs the original resin Legion specific ones that had arms that ended at the wrist.

vs

EDIT:

It even says it is in the product description.

Huh. Neat. I stand, as I so often do, corrected!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

My favorites are the 20-man IG orders blobs of tacticals/assaults with spot-welded centurions
and the
WARCRIMES division with interremptors and destroyers as troops, all infantry starting in transports, and all the open terrain being difficult (due to warcrimes, presumably) as well as 3 blobs being dangerous (due to WARCRIMES, probably).

Giving the Dreadwing a Rite of War to represent a battlefield they've set on fire or irradiated or deluged with acid or virus bombed or which is currently exploding with volcanism because the planet is in the process of collapsing is a really neat solution to the problem of "How do we represent those terrible weapons they're supposed to have anyway?"

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 14, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I know it seems to be mostly a 40k painting tutorial, but I assume everyone in this thread is probably going to want to watch this. You'll know when you get to the bit that makes me say that.

(You can go ahead and start at around 26:20 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

what is he using to soften the decal?

Earlier in the video he said microsol.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ghazk posted:

I don't think I've ever had microsol eat my varnish layer much less the paint.

I have, however; put too many decals on a model at once and later found some dried on my fingers.

He mentioned that he didn't varnish, so the lesson here is that applying five immediately-consecutive layers of microsol directly over paint via an abrasive like a q-tip is a bad idea and to be avoided.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Oh, wow, it's been ages, but I vaguely remember dyeing easter eggs using food coloring and vinegar...?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Speaking of kitbashing blackshields... I use Tichy Train Group rivets for molecular bonding studs on Astartes armor. Is there something that works as well for those tiny spikes you often see on Sons of Horus figures? Tiny rectangular-pyramid-shaped rivets or studs, instead of hemispherical? I figure this thread would be where I’d find someone who’d know.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 22, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Robert Facepalmer posted:

https://www.ebay.com/str/bloodandskullsindustry/Skulls-Spikes/_i.html?_storecat=11333429012

If you know anyone with a decent printer they are such a simple geometric shape they should be able to crank out hundreds in an afternoon for a six-pack.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Here is an actual explanation.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I see the beakie armor has grown toes.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Is it just me or do the plastic MkVIs look like they use the new standard of having the torsos and legs molded into one piece instead of using ball joints? There's just something in the way the guy holding the plasma pistol's torso kinda seems to twist at the waist a bit (visible in the way the lower cable isn't going straight down) that suggests it and the legs are sculpted as one pose.

Also, the torsos have slightly exagerrated breasplates under the the cables, almost reminiscent of Dark Fury armor. They might end up looking notably bulkier than the current resin MkVIs, who are pretty slim, and plastic MkIVs, who are weirdly short. Might look good next to the plastic MkIIIs, tho.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
When I woke up this morning, this article was titled something like "Two new plastic heroes." The word "plastic" is no longer anywhere in the article or its title.

And no poo poo. Look at these undergated bonding studs.

You can't cast true hemispherical bonding studs like that in plastic. Plastic bonding studs look like this:

The "hemispherical" contour is painted on; the underlying form is teardrop-shaped to prevent undergating. Maybe Bandai could do it with some sort of incredibly fancy multi-dimensional mold with bits that slide apart or something, but nothing GW uses can achieve that effect in plastic.

It's interesting in what it reveals about how little the WarCom is told things, to the point where they make assumptions when writing articles and then have to go back and fix errors later. And it's also interesting that they'd assume new Heresy content would be plastic, although not that interesting given that we've already seen the leaks.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 11, 2021

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I mean if it turns out they can I’ll be ecstatic, especially if they use it for the plastic MkVI troops.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Stephenls posted:

When I woke up this morning, this article was titled something like "Two new plastic heroes." The word "plastic" is no longer anywhere in the article or its title.

And no poo poo. Look at these undergated bonding studs.

You can't cast true hemispherical bonding studs like that in plastic. Plastic bonding studs look like this:

The "hemispherical" contour is painted on; the underlying form is teardrop-shaped to prevent undergating. Maybe Bandai could do it with some sort of incredibly fancy multi-dimensional mold with bits that slide apart or something, but nothing GW uses can achieve that effect in plastic.

It's interesting in what it reveals about how little the WarCom is told things, to the point where they make assumptions when writing articles and then have to go back and fix errors later. And it's also interesting that they'd assume new Heresy content would be plastic, although not that interesting given that we've already seen the leaks.

And I was wrong!

Neat.

They did a good job hiding that join line on the official paintjob.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

ijyt posted:

more like StephenIsWrong lmao

(it's actually StephenLS, but the last two letters aren't capitalized. It's just my initials. In retrospect I kinda hate that it looks like I'm trying to pull some Darkseid Is bullshit with it.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

you must draw line of sight from each stud

e: new mold tech?

More likely the bonding stud pauldrons are split down the middle like on the Dominion Zephon model. Like so:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The benefit here would be that I get to stand the beakie next to a plastic MkIII and a plastic MkIV, and that'll tell me exactly how much height I need to add to the latter two.

Shipping a big box with Reiver-sized beakies and the current plastic Cataphractii might look odd, though. I hope at least the beakies are only the size of the current 40k CSMs and Deathwatch marines, which would put them at just a bit below the Primaris Phobos line and roughly in-scale with the Cataphractii.

(This still leaves Tartaros Terminators really short, but enh, can't fix that.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

Another assessment over at B&C has the models as closer to chaos marine sized, which is in line with statements from the studio. So the creep is here, but its not as major as primaris.

That particular marine's height might be exaggerated by his stance.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

SpaceViking posted:

Saw this size comparison on Reddit, looks like the Mk6 is roughly the same size as the Mk4, and a bit bigger than the Mk3 manlets.

Judging by my own side-by-side comparisons, the MkIIIs are already taller than the MkIVs, although it's very slight and accentuated by the way the MkIIIs have their eye lenses set higher on their helmets than the MkIVs do. Judging by that image I'd say the MkVIs are going to be taller than either of them (this is more obvious if you look at the height of the collar in that composite image, although the composite image isn't entirely reliable given the way it misrepresents the comparative heights of the IIIs and IVs), but not as tall as Primaris.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 24, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I will buy any new Heresy marine regardless. Hype as hell for a fresh batch of Word Bearers inductees.

I mean I have Raven Guard plans; I'm not complaining as such. Plastic MkVIs and a proper plastic Contemptor? gently caress yeah.

Whenever I discuss height and truescaling in this context it's less "OMG GW fix your poo poo" and more "Planning how much work I'll need to do with plasticard to make that MkIV veteran squad look good next to the MkVI line troopers."

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 24, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Optimal comedy outcome: GW fleshes out the remaining armor marks like II and V via things like plastic heavy weapon and destroyer squads, and we end up with modern, high-quality plastic space marine sculpts for every armor mark except VII.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, if there's been enough attrition from the war and they still have suits in stock, they might use it.

I'd say it'd be odder to see Salamanders or Iron Hands, since unlike the Raven Guard they didn't get the Mk6 pre-heresy and got completely dumpstered at Istvaan, so they'd have no opportunity to resupply.

There's a lore article in a recent White Dwarf that re-writes the lore around the Mark VI armor to say that by the end of the Heresy, all loyalist and traitor legions with any access to forge worlds were fielding Mark VI armor because all forge worlds are connected by an FTL internet, so any time any one of them develops new tech, all the other forge worlds steal it in short order. There's some stuff about virtual war in the noosphere surrounding it, but it came across to me as very clearly an explanation for why you can field any legion you want with the new plastic beakies.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

ijyt posted:

I will probably paint a tester but I think Dearth Guard would look good in Mk.6 - otherwise I'm doing SoH and then throwing a couple into the sea of Mk.3 that is my Iron Warriors.

e: That lore is way better than "Raven Guard had a secret stash :ssh:"

It wasn't so much that the Raven Guard had a secret stash as the XIX were testing pre-production models, and then when Corax went to Terra after surviving Istvaan V to petition the Emperor for tech to quickly repopulate the XIX, they gave him the first production run of the MkVI to take back to Deliverance with him

(Now, the Alpha Legion. They had a secret stash.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 26, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Oh, come on, that's a tactical marine on the left. They're already shorter than the existing plastic MkIIIs.

The Demilich posted:

Quick question, any idea if they upscaled the new plastic beakies? Think they might be a tall as at least the new 40k chaos figures?

Everything I've seen so far makes it look like they'll be about as tall as the current 40k Deathwatch Kill Team / new Chaos troops, which means they'll be slightly taller than the plastic MkIIIs and more visibly taller than the plastic MkIVs.

Comparing them to the current plastic 40k MkVII tacticals really exaggerates it, though. Those guys' legs are really short.

(The big difference is how bulky the plastic beakies appear to be. The plastic MkIVs are pretty slim, and the MkIIIs are thicker, but these guys look like they'll both be taller and chonkier than either, and the chonkiness is going to accentuate the height.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 7, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Has there been any talks / rumors about how this game is going to interact with the current Forge World HH stuff? Curious if it's going to be entirely separate or merged together or what.

Seems like some of it’ll be in plastic but things like legion-specific upgrades and character series figures will stay resin, at least for now.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'm so happy they went with the shoulder-mounted rockets, plasma cannons, and lascannons, even though they require different arms, instead of going with the underslung ones that fit the universal arms like on the current resin kits. Always did prefer the look of those.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Any word on that plastic recon armor someone vaguely hinted about years ago?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Geisladisk posted:

How compatible are the new beakies with, say, the current chaos space marine kit?

I'm not really interested in Heresy, but I've wanted to do a 40k Iron Warriors army for a while and mixing the heresy kits with CSM kits sounds rad.

Leakycheese did a dedicated scale Twitter thread with two of the new beakies and a variety of other heresy models; here's the first tweet:

http://twitter.com/Leaky_cheese/status/1523056548817252352

(Click through for thread.)

Unfortunately he doesn't have any modern chaos guys so they don't get comparisons.

However, if you triangulate those comparisons with my old imgur comparison album, it looks like the beakies are in-scale with modern chaos marines, deathwatch, and rubrics, which are all in-scale with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

AnEdgelord posted:

Wont the core rulebook have to include the Legiones Astartes army list since its shared by both traitors and loyalists?

No, they've said the datasheets sections for the Liber Astartes and Liber Hereticus will each start with the full shared unit list, and then each book will cover the datasheets for its legions' specific units. Doesn't sound like the corebook will have any datasheets.