Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but Chaos doesn't get daemons in 30k?

I've got a ton of Slaanesh daemons and was about to pull the trigger on a discounted Calth box, but I want to use these two things together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Aww man, that's a bummer. I guess the Daemonic stuff didn't come in until late-era Heresy.

Word Bearers are cool, but they're not metallic purple and rock and roll noise gun cool.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess the solution is to paint them as Emperor's Children anyway and just wait for the Slaanesh version of the Daemonkin list. I'm much more interested in painting / modeling than actually playing at this point for a number of reasons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

His hair is probably being tossed around in jump-pack wash. It's a silly thing to let bother you, especially given how many "standing in a cyclone" figures there already are with wind blowing in contrary directions.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hey wow, I ended up giving GW money after all. I saw some Emperor's Children lists earlier, so I'll probably build my Calth models in that direction. I also ordered some cheap Kakophoni and Palantine blades! Yay.

The condensed books are out of stock - so I think my best bet is to just paint what I've got and hope to be done by the 2016 rebalanced ones. Does that seem right?

I want to use magnets on the blades' backpacks and characters (for jump option) and the dread's weapons. Are there any other quality of life improvements I should be looking into in the pre-build stage?

E: And where do I find out which armor these guys wore? The 40k EC look like they were wearing up to MkV, but the HH stuff seems to be all MkIV and earlier.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 28, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't want to buy the core red book because it's getting reprinted / rebalanced in 2016, right?

e: vvv Awesome, thanks!

moths fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Legion Dreadnoughts are just the old boxy guys in 30k, right? I've had one of these goofballs in a box since the 90's and now I want to paint him in Emperor's Children colors:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just ruined a transfer last night. The problem is that shoulder pads are curved in a way that blobs a flat decal when you try to apply it.

I'm going to try again tonight, but trimming as close to the symbol as possible. Less clear decal medium is less potential problem.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Was base 30k written for 6th?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Also Cataphractii lost Slow and Purposful so you can't use them to make grav guns useful anymore :(

Does this mean Emperor's Children can now take them with Maru Skara, and they can outflank?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've found both Dark Elf and Blood Angels stuff to be a great source for EC bits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Kakophoni troops

This makes me happy - I've been picking up random noise marine weapons just in case.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It it possible to re-pose that thing? A slight forward lean would look more aggressive, but then it would also look like it's pooping.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'll post my test guy, now it's a party:

I learned a lot because I made many mistakes.

1. Next time base color > pin wash > highlights. The wash absolutely killed my highlights doing it last.
2. EC don't generally have white shoulders. I'm going to go with the classic 40k EC shoulders because they're ostentatious and I want to go more Mid-Heresy (post-Maraviglia) with my space-barbies.
3. I used a filthy brush to mop up the wash, and it left chunks all over that leg. :barf: Next time, every time, clean brushes.

I picked up an IMEX platformer kit to chop up and make basing easier. Going forward, instead of frontier world / Necromunda I'd like to base them urban / space hulk.

Do we know anything more about the Kakophoni-as-troops RoW?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Anything people want in particular?

Is the rumored EC kakophoni-as-troops stuff really in there?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks Mango, you saved me a trip to Europe.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

When do the Thousand Sons get dusted?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Take 3 on my Emperor's Children trial guy:

The ostentatious metal sculpted shoulders are definitely the right direction. (I want to put them after they've definitively turned traitor.) And it looks like I should blend my re-applied highlights a bit better, but overall I'm very comfortable with this!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I hope that shoots Nerf darts.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hencoe posted:

It just occurred to me that the new phase affects everyone except Tyranids, and technically daemons if they don't ally in a helldrake.
What is the drat point, does this mean that my fire raptor doesn't participate unless FW puts out an FAQ?

Don't forget Sisters! They can look forward to two entire phases where they aren't actually playing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So what's the deal with Codex: Daemons in 30k? They can ally with Word Bearers or Warp Cults, or only be fielded under one of the trial rule HQ characters?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

Word Bearers can take an allied detachment of them when using the RoW.

How about traitor militant cults? I had read that they can (in a few places online), but in the twenty minutes or so I had with HH5 I couldn't verify this.

I've got a bunch of the old, good metal cultists and daemons - I'd love to actually use them again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

And as you wrote, they're not in the matrix and nothing in their own rules indicates special access to allies. So no allies :(

I finally found the appropriate entry in HH5, and there's a "...and vice versa" at the end of where it says renegade cults can take allies. It's not clearly written at all, so it might just mean Daemon allies also treat the parent detachment as allies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wait so I can't actually use my old cultists (or new ones!) as Levy because they're each armed with pistol and a CCW.

quote:

The entire squad may replace its auxilia rifles with one of the following options:
- Close combat weapons......free
- Auxilia pistols......................free

What even the poo poo is this bad decision? Unless they're operating under some weird phrasing of 'one' that actually means 'two,' there's no way to get both.

e: Ok good.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 14, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm trying something!

I really disliked how the Kakophoni aren't to scale with Calth marines, so I tried straight-up Noise Marine blasters and a loyal-ish paint job. It still needs work (and a lot of friends), but I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up so far. Plus it's a lot more practical for spamming them as troops.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Styrix is the volkite one, Magaera is the blast lightning gun. In both cases still the Atrapos is a more terrifying choice for the enemy.

These two are AdMech aligned in the fluff, correct? (Not that it makes much difference.)

E: vvv Good to know, thanks!

moths fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 1, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I only just realized that earlier today.

Have you contemplated that your 30k guys' geneseed is running raw and wild through your 40k guys' bodies?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

TTerrible posted:

Yeah this adds up. His base must be huge for a normal power armoured marine.

It's just a "bust" of a dead SW for base dressing.

You can tell because (assuming this is a one-sprue figure) after all the parts are accounted for, that's what's left over. Plus the pose is has uneven "standing on a thing" footing, and that's the only extra thing. The reverse of the SW is also sculpted flat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leigo Custodes is a surprise, are they even in 30k yet?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The upside is that the Custodes (and Sisters?) are probably going to be the cheap half in the secondary market.

Then again that's what I thought about the genestealer cult in DO, and they are still pricy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm getting a young Robert Plant vibe from Russ - if Forgeworld intentionally sculpted an Immigrant Song reference I'm very impressed.

Is that something they do? I've seen other companies do an occasional nod to real people.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I finally gathered up about thirty Kakophani guns and Noise Marine Sonic Blasters! Now which books do I need for Emperor's Children with those dudes as troops?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Perfect, thank you! Now I just need to glue a ton of Marines together...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

rjderouin posted:

Didn't realize I put such a small picture in.

The only thing I'd recommend is making the chest armor, shoulder pads, and lasgun casing a different colors than the cloth. You can telegraph that these parts are "hard" by making them a uniform color.

Maybe a dark grey for all of those? Ideally you want something you can weather or edge highlight to convey that it's a different material than the "softer" parts of the figure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a Dark Angels 30k resource I can look at for heraldry, color schemes, etc? Some of the Calth / Prospero stuff is a weird fit for Emperor's Children and sure why not black Dark Angels...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was hoping for something a little more exhaustive. For instance, I'd like to know exactly what's going on with this guy's shoulder:

Or markings unique to the *wing, etc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, excellent thanks! I didn't know if the Deathwing events happened before or after the Heresy - it was (IIRC) a Genestealer purge, and humanity didn't meet them until much later, but this stuff gets retconned all the time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I want to say it was because of their SECRET SHAME, but I don't know if I actually read that anywhere.

Plus 30k DA would make pretty rad 40k Fallen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Which weapon option is best for Sisters of Silence supporting Knights? Bolters, right? They don't seem like a unit I want within assault range of Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, drat I didn't realize they were even getting rules beyond that PDF.

I'll do bolters for now.