Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

On a somewhat more constructive note, I just got a job with a political org that is focusing on doing some campaigns around climate change, environmental justice, etc. What are some solid academic journals that I can tell my bosses to purchase access to for climate research?
You might be better served by figuring this out in the process of working - you can often get copies of stuff by just asking one of the authors based on an interesting abstract while you're starting and the work will end up showing which journals are most relevant. Or just keep asking individually for articles as needed since a lot of stuff is summarized in various places and if you're not working with experts the actual articles aren't necessarily helpful so much as the information in them.

Might be that sociology journals, or economics ones, or poli sci, or something else will be what your organization focuses on and you'll want access accordingly.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

E: I thought about writing this post after reading this.

quote:

If we accept Theobald's assertion
I stopped reading there - there's no reason to do that. It's actually a rather ridiculous thing to accept and I see nothing to indicate it's true.

It's possible that agw is unsolvable but it doesn't look that way. Things will get lovely but people are already moving away from the causes of it.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

If all the smarter people don't have kids (presumably dumb people are going to continue doing so), it's going to be loving Idiocracy out in the future.
Intelligence isn't linked to genetics in any detectable way.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

oxsnard posted:

That's the other thing; the one renewable that actually produces way more energy than it costs to build/produce (hydro) has fallen out of favor.
Hydro is an ecological shitshow that may be incredibly lovely in places where it will involve releasing all the stored CO2 under the reservoir (most places with a lot of water) and also screws with water distribution - we may be heading for the point where the increased evaporation from reservoirs isn't worth it to lose all that usable water.

I'd like to see more geothermal just for the increased chance of releasing eldritch horrors man was not meant to know.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Lets perk things up with a story of a large energy company taking the farsighted, responsible appr... wait, whoops:
EU dropped climate policies after BP threat of oil industry 'exodus'.
I'm sure they'll totally take their customers and move elsewhere and are currently only in Europe due to their generosity, not any difficulties and costs inherent in moving. Not an empty threat or one that can be solved by regulations at all.

quote:

But EU proposals to label tar sands oil as more polluting than other oil – which could lead to additional taxes – risked companies “being penalised subjectively on the basis of adverse perceptions”, according to BP.
Paging Inigo Montoya to the thread re:subjectively and perceptions.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

whitey delenda est posted:

Also that plane is flying with or without a given person on it.
This isn't a good argument since it flying with less weight is cheaper fuel-wise and if there are few enough people the flight will be cancelled.

Flying will result in an increase in suffering in the future. Whether or not you're comfortable with that is a choice for each person to make similar to choices made for pretty much all 1st world consumer choices (though those are generally dealing with past suffering instead of future). It's also similar to choosing to continue to live at 1st world standards; best individual choice is almost always going to be suicide (or slaughter).

This is why having a moral system that values the infinitesimal future suffering over current happiness is hosed up (well, one reason). I don't fly for vacations (and I have sterilized myself) but that's a personal choice and not for everyone. And I could be convinced to fly for a variety of reasons since that choice isn't particularly meaningful and I can think of several ways it would be a net positive.

tl;dr flying don't matter much

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Might be able to get some ideas from the NEPTUNE project (that's an acronym and I ain't spelling it out). Undersea network but may be helpful.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

.....capitalism raising standards of living? Hello? Gilded Age? We didn't learn a loving thing.

I think we can all agree that no technological progress or anything would have happened without capitalism. The Soviets certainly never made any contributions.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Placid Marmot posted:

Jevons Paradox, among other feedback mechanisms, is known, and I never said it wasn't??? ? Do you still think that your unrealistic example of $0.03/gallon fuel disproves Jevon's Paradox? I don't think this is a productive course of discussion.

The rebound effect is real but the existence of Jevons paradox is not necessarily real. It requires a rebound effect greater than the reduction due to increased efficiency, which is silly for a lot of things (HVAC, anything that's always on, cooking). It can also be mitigated very easily by legislation, like increasing the gas tax as price/distance drops.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Personally I don't like the doom and gloom. Humans are highly likely to screw off into space. We may not travel the stars any time soon but space habitats should be doable. There is also serious talk about Mars.

A bunch of stodgy old fucks that deny change will stick around and keep drilling but you know what? Screw 'em. If the rest of us can have space they can keep this old rock.

Mars is not habitable nor is space. No matter how bad Earth gets, barring Venus, it will be better than Mars and better than space.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

The biggest issue with natural gas at the moment is in methane leakage from extraction.

The lack of regulation of storage sites isn't the best, either. Nor the constant leaks along delivery pipelines.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

What exactly does that mean? The last election he ran in was 2000 and this came out in 2006.

His goal was to encourage and enable political action in regards to climate change.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Fansy posted:

Should I push her into getting some therapy
Do this and make sure, to the best of your ability, that it happens. Giving stuff away is a bad sign and the global warming thing may just be an excuse for something else.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

Maybe it's too little/too late but there was a significant drop in carbon emissions per capita and per GDP over the past decade. It will be interesting to see if the recent collapse in oil prices results in higher emissions.
It's too little too late because per capita only matters if it results in absolute decreases and that graph looks like it shows population/gdp increasing faster than required to make the overall multiplier 1 or lower (about 1.1 from a quick look).

Actually it's too little too late because we've done hosed up a long time ago but at least there's some progress.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
This is a thing now so clearly nothing is going on.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

I hope the bears eat them.

They've got nothing else to swim to so ... maybe?

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Banana Man posted:

It's not enough! We're gonna fuckin die!!! *blows brains out*

Less methane and one less consumer, nice!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

BattleMoose posted:

So I just came across this letter to Nature. (not behind a paywall)
http://www.diagonalarida.cl/SemI/Stine_1994_Persistentdrought_MCA.pdf

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

This is my favourite response to that one -

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Kenzie posted:

It's kinda hard to see how that poo poo can be sustainable.
It's not? That's never been an aim of or issue for Dubai.

...or pretty much any city.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

the economist ran an article about how the exxon pick is cool and good so we're ok

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2016/12/private-emperor-public-envoy
Mother Theresa pretty much did steal from her charity. So things are going to be pretty much poo poo.

Awesome! Just what everyone needed.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It's enough for me to stop bothering with my 401k, at the very least. Even if I do live long enough to hit retirement age, something tells me I won't want to stick around for much longer after that.

And there's the point where you should seek professional help.

Not kidding. Get your mood and behavior checked by a professional; there are therapies and drugs that can help with making things better. Or you'll find out you're totally rational and be on firmer footing for taking potentially irreversible actions.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Climate change thread: there is always more and it is always worse (or whatever that was called)

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Take stock and quickly know how absolutely hosed we are.

OAquinas posted:

absolutely

OAquinas posted:

absolutely hosed

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

You will be fine because you are not Bangladesh, Yemen, Egypt or the Maldives, piss poor countries with lovely location, you will most likely not even suffer many climate refugees because you are surrounded by two large moats.
That is totally untrue!

It'll only be one moat.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Kinda surprised how muted government employees in climate change or environmental related agencies have been. At this point, working for the Trump administration should be seen as being a collaborationist.

If they say anything they can almost certainly be fired for cause.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Who needs the environment when someone has a job posted:

“(2) EXCLUSION.—The term ‘air pollutant’ does not include carbon dioxide, water vapor, methane, nitrous oxide, hydrofluorocarbons, perfluorocarbons, or sulfur hexafluoride.”.

(2) NO REGULATION OF CLIMATE CHANGE.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, nothing in any of the following Acts or any other law authorizes or requires the regulation of climate change or global warming:

(A) The Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. 7401 et seq.).

(B) The Federal Water Pollution Control Act (33 U.S.C. 1251 et seq.).

(C) The National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (42 U.S.C. 4321 et seq.).

(D) The Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.).

(E) The Solid Waste Disposal Act (42 U.S.C. 6901 et seq.).

(b) Effect On Final Rules Of The EPA.—In accordance with this section, the following final rules (or any similar or successor rules) of the Environmental Protection Agency shall be void and have no force or effect:

(1) The final rule entitled “Oil and Natural Gas Sector: Emission Standards for New, Reconstructed, and Modified Sources” (published at 81 Fed. Reg. 35823 (June 3, 2016)).

(2) The final rule entitled “Carbon Pollution Emission Guidelines for Existing Stationary Sources: Electric Utility Generating Units” (published at 80 Fed. Reg. 64661 (October 23, 2015)).

SEC. 4. JOBS ANALYSIS FOR ALL EPA REGULATIONS.

(a) In General.—Before proposing or finalizing any regulation, rule, or policy, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency shall provide an analysis of the regulation, rule, or policy and describe the direct and indirect net and gross impact of the regulation, rule, or policy on employment in the United States.

(b) Limitation.—No regulation, rule, or policy described in subsection (a) shall take effect if the regulation, rule, or policy has a negative impact on employment in the United States unless the regulation, rule, or policy is approved by Congress and signed by the President.
Time to burn all dow... Oh, wait, they're already working on that. No problems here!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

I was wondering today if being merely existing, not consuming anything, in the US propels you in the top 50% of carbon footprints in the world. I'm talking about service planning and other things that go off census data.

If it's true then it is a complete impossibility to increase everyone standard of living to our levels. Reduction would be the only answer.
Standard of living and emissions aren't that tightly bound, in theory.

That hypothetical person wouldn't necessarily be in the top 50% - that's an individual level determination, determined by actual emissions.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What happened to Larsen C? Haven't heard about it in a while.

Couldn't find anything new.

Might not hear about it again given likely information lockdown on anything to do with climate.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

call to action posted:

Remember when people assumed that we'd at least be trending towards greater climate acceptance/mitigation work as the signs of climate change made themselves obvious? lol

I mostly remember predictions of nth-ing down because money. And evil (see:Florida, banning of "climate change" from officials' discourse).

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah how'd that go down anyway? isn't this literally a 1st amendment violation?

On their own time they can say whatever they want but when acting as a representative of the State they can't seesay* it. Also it was never an official policy and "I was verbally told not to" isn't really actionable.

It hasn't helped.

*typo too good not to leave in

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

call to action posted:

No, buying a motorcycle is a good idea because it is fun and distracts you from the fact that major, permanent, painful societal upheaval is probably less than a generation away.

Plus you have a better chance of being an organ donor!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

call to action posted:

I actually opted out of organ donor status when I started riding just to spite people that make jokes like this, to ensure that I'll have the last laugh

Congratulations on being an awful person, I guess?

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cjx4gJFME0

I always thought this was an idea so stupid only a joke cartoon character could even entertain it. :suicide:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
I'm just glad we're solving the Fermi paradox

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

Those GT of CO2-equivalent reductions are just estimates for implementation only in the US, right?

Pretty sure "tropical forests" aren't able to be implemented in the US on any meaningful scale.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

gonna be fantastic when all those people die

hopefully it'll happen slightly sooner than myself

I'm considering investment in crow futures but I'm fairly certain it'll be completely ignored that all these people screwed everyone over.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Just in case someone was feeling hopeful and hadn't seen this yet, E.P.A. Announces Repeal of Major Obama-Era Carbon Emissions Rule.

:suicide:

...the new stupid newbie is just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Hail the eighteenth Satan.

Trump taps climate skeptic to lead White House environment office

quote:

Trump picked Kathleen Hartnett White to serve as a member, and eventually chairwoman, of the Council on Environmental Quality

At the TPPF — which has received funding from the fossil fuel industry — White led a project to “explain the forgotten moral case for fossil fuels,” and she has written that carbon dioxide is the gas “that makes life possible on the earth and naturally fertilizes plant growth.”

critic of the Obama administration’s environmental initiatives, calling them a “deluded and illegitimate battle against climate change”

This is fine. Everything is fine.