Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

We better get to it then because

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/06/07/atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-just-reached-a-huge-record-high/

quote:

The average carbon dioxide concentration in May was 407.7 parts per million, or ppm, which is how molecules in the atmosphere are measured. In May, for every 1 million molecules in the air, 407.7 of them were carbon dioxide. This was a 3.76 ppm increase since May 2015, and the largest year over year increase on record.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2016/0608/Big-melt-Arctic-sea-ice-hits-record-lows

quote:

The average area of sea ice atop the Arctic Ocean last month was just 4.63 million square miles, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. That beats the prior May record (from 2004) by more than 200,000 square miles, and is well over 500,000 square miles below the average for the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
First mammal species wiped out by human-induced climate change

quote:

Human-caused climate change appears to have driven the Great Barrier Reef’s only endemic mammal species into the history books, with the Bramble Cay melomys, a small rodent that lives on a tiny island in the eastern Torres Strait, being completely wiped-out from its only known location.

Making a little progress every day!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Washington Post has an article debunking it unfortunately.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
yes that was totally the intent, not a polite way of saying you fell for some artic-news-esque horseshit, you fuckin goons

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

The guy putting his boot into that has balls of steel. Imagine being on top of a giant methane bubble when the ground pops like a soap bubble. (I have no idea if methane bubbles work that way).

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

NewForumSoftware posted:

Advocating voluntary depopulation is one of the dumbest ideas you can put forth. Just take a step back and think about what you're saying.

Also just throwing out there again that collapsing civilization (what's going to happen if everyone stops having as many kids) is just going to warm the Earth, so there's no real gain to be had there.

If you're willing to reduce everyone down to the per capita emissions of their country how can you possibly advocate individual action?

The alternative to voluntary depopulation is going to be involuntary depopulation, so it's striking that anyone would consider it amongst the dumbest of ideas. If you sincerely believe that the Earth's population has to grow forever in order to maintain civilization, why be concerned with CO2? An ever-growing population would eventually cook the atmosphere just with waste heat even from just the energy transfer of 100% renewable energy.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Facehammer posted:

Anyone who refuses to give in to nihilism and hasn't read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series should probably go and read it right now. I would say it's time to start thinking about setting up a group along similar lines.

There are a number of community projects that already exist for folks looking to make it through the Jackpot, they mostly go by Transition towns or Eco villages. I know some well educated folks who now spend their days laying foundation for rammed earth houses powered by solar and installing rainwater catchment systems. Hope you enjoy backbreaking work.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Accretionist posted:

How credible is the doomsaying about [Phytoplankton Collapse] → [Literal Human Extinction] by 2100? Reportedly, 5.5C to 8C should be sufficient to produce sufficient ocean acidification and warming to ruin the marine ecosystem component responsible for 2/3 of our oxygen, and new research suggests that GHGs may grow more impactful as the atmosphere warms meaning we could be on track for a mass extinction event around 2100.

And we just elected a denialist.

Not credible from anything I've read. The only people who trot this out are Guy Mcpherson cultists. I don't think there's any evidence to suggest a realistic path to total human extinction this century (from pure climate effects anyway).

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Grouchio posted:

Could we begin seeing acts of environmental terrorism against fossil fuel companies, projects, and magnates? Or is this just fantasy?

Which is more likely for you personally: 1) Starting a suicidal campaign of violence against the most powerful organizations on this planet or 2) Continuing to post on an internet forum? Not saying that everybody in developed countries is just like you, but we have a really good system for keeping the population docile and entertained.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Soooooo methane release into the atmosphere is starting to spike exponentially and we don't really know why.

the article posted:

Methane concentrations in the atmosphere, they report, were rising only at about .5 parts per billion per year in the early 2000s. But in the past two years, they’ve spiked by 12.5 parts per billion in 2014 and 9.9 parts per billion in 2015.

I'm not ready to go full Arctic News yet, but this seems not great re: the future.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Evil_Greven posted:

Hmm... well this isn't looking like a great trajectory so far

gettin to be bout that time to revise the 'ol y-axis. may as well zero it out for where we're headed.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

call to action posted:

"NO! My life is important. I will be remembered. My kids will have a good life. I believe in my country. Every problem is fixable, no matter how bad it is or how long we let it fester. We are good people, and our God (technology) wouldn't let us die!" - the denialists in this thread, screaming into the void

Yeah? But I mean these are the essential myths that americans are taught from birth so good luck arguing with most of the thread's entire upbringing my dude.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Telephones posted:

What the hell is there to do at this point? Early twenties, very little money and no authority. What can I do to be prepared?

Acquire skills that will remain in demand during interesting times, i.e. there will never be too many doctors or dentists regardless of how rapidly degrowth takes place. Also, build good relationships with local folks who have skills that will remain in demand during interesting times.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

frytechnician posted:

Always, more, always worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41778089

Man, do I suddenly feel really tired.

There's something to be said for not immersing oneself in climate news if it's impacting you physically. Yes, the planet is dying, but we still live in real good times compared to the historic mean. Get out and enjoy the fruits of industrial civilization while they're still around, don't have kids, and keep an exit bag handy once we start rolling into the mid-century.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Two real dumb things here:

1. "Don't have kids" pretty profoundly changes your sense of purpose in the world. It's something I grapple with regularly since I sat down and caught up on climatology literature before deciding to have any.

2. Enjoying the fruits of industrial civilization gets hard when you notice the negative externalities that your consumption generates. The crux of our climate problem is a problem with our explosive desire for respiration. Respiration makes waste and we're drowning in our own poo poo.

I don't think you get that some people just aren't into hedonism. The only real tool you have to get any solace from here is compassion for life, even if tending to it is only a temporary stopgap until a planet wide inferno strips off everything but archaebacteria.

This feels a little judgy given that 1) humans living with the sole purpose of breeding more humans is a significant part of why most complex life is about to be dead and 2) you can enjoy the benefits of having a hot shower on demand and being able to drive to a local state park without personally driving another dozen species into extinction.

There's a big gap between unrestrained conspicuous consumption, hedonism-bot style, and acknowledging that life is going to be reverting to being brutal and short in the medium-term and going out for some tacos. I personally lean towards asceticism, and I try to appreciate daily the basic essentials that our way of life makes easy.

Wakko fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 30, 2017

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Thug Lessons posted:

The stuff people post here isn't about climate change. It's just nonsense of their own concoction like "Climate change is caused by Emoji Movie DVDs".

You seem to be well informed but also a little too literal my dude. When our planet is dying, technical precision is naturally taking a back seat to metaphor in the discussion. Does it matter that emoji guy hyperbolized some about the impact of one container ship of DVDs? He is alluding to how global capitalism is the driving force behind the destruction of most life on this planet, not engaging in a scientific argument about carbon release.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Just popping in to share some light eco-fiction. Happy holidays all!!

An Incomplete Timeline of What We Tried

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
both p. personal methods for essentially a bulk trash problem, just feed them all into an industrial shredder from a large hopper

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
New file for the drawer of "climate change predictions continually revised to be worse than expected":

The Guardian posted:

Hidden underwater melt-off in the Antarctic is doubling every 20 years and could soon overtake Greenland to become the biggest source of sea-level rise, according to the first complete underwater map of the world’s largest body of ice...

The results could prompt an upward revision of sea-level rise projections. 10 years ago, the main driver was Greenland. More recently, the Antarctic’s estimated contribution has been raised by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. But its forecasts were based on measurements from the two main west Antarctic glaciers – Thwaites and Pine Island – a sample that provides an overly narrow and conservative view of what is happening when compared with the new research.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

call to action posted:

We are literally biologically programmed to have kids. There is no choice to be made there.

Well, either 40% of adults in developed nations are missing this programming, or you are objectively wrong, but it's definitely one or the other.

Either way, we're past the point of having kids or not having kids mattering. It seems like a dick move to create more humans in the first century to see human gigadeaths, but nobody is gonna stop you. It's weird how personally people take this.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Leaked UN draft report warns of urgent need to cut global warming

The article posted:

“This IPCC report shows anyone drawing from published papers that there are big differences between 1.5 and 2 degrees warming in both natural and human systems,”

Hare said. “Two degrees warming and the tropical reefs have basically no chance – 1.5 degrees, they have a small to modest chance of survival.

“There’s a range of commentary that comes out of the report that provides a stronger narrative for us to act than ever before.” He said it showed that if emissions continued on their present pathway, there was no chance of limiting global temperature rises even to 3C.“

Mainstream commentary is starting to hint that we're on track for well above 2C. Not toxxing over it, but I expect we'll see the IPCC itself start to admit the future looks more like 4C as a baseline by the early 2020s.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
I have a beef with calling them nazi death camps because if your country is running nazi death camps it's time for violent revolt, full stop. Just like chuds calling abortion clinics death camps, if you really believe that's the case and you're just sitting around posting on the internet you're a tacit supporter of nazism yourself.

Things can be real bad without being literally hitler all the time. We can acknowledge that internment camps for asylum seekers are a violation of human rights without clutching our pearls so hard we break our necks. That said, fairly off topic for the thread. Sooooo...

Climate change to overtake land use as major threat to global biodiversity

The article posted:

Climate change will have a rapidly increasing effect on the structure of global ecological communities over the next few decades, with amphibians and reptiles being significantly more affected than birds and mammals, a new report by UCL finds.

The pace of change is set to outstrip loss to vertebrate communities caused by land use for agriculture and settlements, which is estimated to have already caused losses of over ten per cent of biodiversity from ecological communities.

Just a reminder that we don't need to literally cook the Earth to the point where it's uninhabitable by humans, collapsing the food webs that surround us will make life very difficult a lot sooner.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think this is true. It will do tremendous damage to biodiversity, which is bad enough, but is unlikely to effect human life dramatically. We've already done tremendous damage to the environment while prospering and there's no particular reason to believe that future extinctions are going to somehow end that prosperity. The UK, one of the richest countries on Earth, is 70% farmland and another 10% cities, meaning that most of its natural environment and the animals that once lived there have been bulldozed to build high-rises and raise crops. If amphibian and reptile biodiversity in the remaining 20% is reduced, that's tragic, but it's not going to "make life very difficult" for Britons any more than the previous centuries' worth of ecological damage did.

To be clear, we're talking about global biodiversity here, not national or regional. The UK, and the west in general, benefit enormously from being able to raid biodiversity from around the world. We don't know what effect pulling out this chunk of Jenga blocks from the ecosystem tower will have, but we do know "studies have suggested that ecosystem function is substantially impaired where more than 20 per cent of species are lost". So this doesn't come down to just losing a few frogs.

Let's put aside the risks of critical ecosystem collapse leading to cascades of extinctions. Biodiversity loss has increased progressively over the past century, bringing enormous opportunity costs. If you don't think losing out on future avenues of antibiotics research, species that support fisheries or having a backup for the next time Panama disease wipes out the global population of bananas will impact human life, I don't know what to say.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Crosspost from doomsday economics:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1012280981359915013

The article posted:

“You know, 20 years ago I never thought I would end up seeing the rise because everything, all the projections at that time, really didn’t ramp up until well into the 21st century. But then I started going out to Cape Sable.” Cape Sable is the southernmost part of the mainland; it reaches into the Florida Bay like a swollen hook. “Out there the beaches were disappearing, mangroves were moving in, tiny channels turned into huge rivers in a matter of years. Even the roseate spoonbills started abandoning their nesting grounds. I had never, in my life of studying the geology of the coast of Florida, seen anything like it. That is when I knew in my gut that the early predictions were wrong and that sea level rise was unfolding a lot faster than any of us ever imagined.”

Expect to hear a whole lot of this rolling into the mid-century.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
https://twitter.com/climateprogress/status/1016391128340418562

quote:

Typical five-day heat waves in the U.S. will be 12°F warmer by mid-century alone, according to the U.S. National Climate Assessment (NCA), which the White House itself reviewed and approved last November.

:tif:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, it's probably time to address my main bugaboo (I might have already done this several times already but whatever). What exactly is going to be the landscape 20-30 years from now? Is there going to be a full civilizational collapse? Is every nation going to become fascist? Which nation's in Europe are going to be relatively safe (specifically Portugal, Netherlabds, Germany and Norway?) This issue is legitimate ly making me think there is no point to the future and I'd rather die than spend my days digging dirt to farm and talking about nothing BUT farming or the weather or whatever people talk about without communication, books or the Internet.

My dude you've shown up to this thread a few times and don't seem to have picked up that nobody can predict the future beyond the fact that you will continue to obsess over your individual meaninglessness rather than build genuine meaning in your own daily life.

Climate change is a significant pressure on western civilization over a century or more timescale, but the rise of individually-tailored infowar, economic collapse, and resource exhaustion are likely to be much more pressing concerns in the immediate future. You could just as easily haunt doomsday economics or the trump thread, but here's a secret: some day in the future a gamma ray burst from a distant supernova is going to sterilize this solar system and extinct whatever intelligent life happens to be around. It might be in 500k years or it might be tomorrow. Detach yourself from the cult of progress and adopt an ethos that lets you find some measure of joy in the astonishingly short period that you and all other humans will exist.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Interesting study working to date 4C a little more precisely:

Climate Change of 4°C Global Warming above Pre-industrial Levels

quote:

Using a set of numerical experiments from 39 CMIP5 climate models, we project the emergence time for 4◦C global warming with respect to pre-industrial levels and associated climate changes under the RCP8.5 greenhouse gas concentration scenario. Results show that, according to the 39 models, the median year in which 4◦C global warming will occur is 2084. Based on the median results of models that project a 4◦C global warming by 2100, land areas will generally exhibit stronger warming than the oceans annually and seasonally, and the strongest enhancement occurs in the Arctic, with the exception of the summer season.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1026548215040987136

quote:

New feedback loops are still being discovered. A separate paper published in PNAS reveals that increased rainfall – a symptom of climate change in some regions - is making it harder for forest soils to trap greenhouse gases such as methane.

Previous studies have shown that weakening carbon sinks will add 0.25C, forest dieback will add 0.11C, permafrost thaw will add 0.9C and increased bacterial respiration will add 0.02C. The authors of the new paper also look at the loss of methane hydrates from the ocean floor and the reduction of snow and ice cover at the poles.

This is stuff that's all been covered up-thread, but it helps to see the experts validate these concerns as serious.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

If you're actually going to have your mental health damaged by this thread, seriously just remove the bookmark. Don't keep up to date. Tell people it's a problem but don't lose all your sleep over it.

Agreed it's not helpful to endlessly panic about the future. At the same time, it's worth spending some serious time getting your head straight re: reality. As the average western computer janitor goon, you've been sold a lie. The future doesn't look like star trek, with boundless consumption stretching to distant solar systems. The future is (optimistically) a period of degrowth as we transition to a sustainable economy amidst an increasingly uncomfortable climate.

Sticking your head in the sand, ignoring reality with "oh technology will solve this" and going back to worshipping at the altar of materialism will leave you increasingly poorly prepared for the future. Like I told the guy who just shows up to panic, it's important to build an ethos that's compatible with living interesting times.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Elderbean posted:

If I'm 30 now do I have much of a future left before poo poo gets bad?

poo poo is bad right now if you live in wildfire country or puerto rico. Climate change is all gradual trends, you're never going to wake up one day into The Road. How you position yourself for the future and what you define as 'bad' will have a non-trivial impact on how things turn out on an individual level.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

OhYeah posted:

What else besides advancements in technology can help us solve global problems with the climate and the environment? Earth has went from a massive iceball to a blazing hot oven in the past without any "help" from us humans. We simply weren't around then. How do you propose to avoid these extreme scenarios in the distant future?

I don't have a solution for climate change on a geologic timescale my dude, sorry. I can tell you that climate change in this century is much more likely to be affected by not burning a trillion tons of fossil fuels than it will be by trying to invent a magic energy-and-cost-effective technology to suck that carbon back out of the atmosphere.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
New global study reveals the ‘staggering’ loss of forests caused by industrial agriculture

quote:

A new analysis of global forest loss—the first to examine not only where forests are disappearing, but also why—reveals just how much industrial agriculture is contributing to the loss. The answer: some 5 million hectares—the area of Costa Rica—every year. And despite years of pledges by companies to help reduce deforestation, the amount of forest cleared to plant oil palm and other booming crops remained steady between 2001 and 2015.

This seems fine. What do trees even do anyway?

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Trainee PornStar posted:

"He said: "Overshooting is a risky strategy and getting back to lower levels after an overshoot will be extremely difficult."

you don't say

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I can tell we're making progress on climate change because we've moved the weenie side of the overton window past denial to despair. A few more oscillations between optimism and pessimism and we'll be somewhere pragmatic. Thankfully the hurricanes and wildfires and floods and droughts will help speed us through that process.

I'm hopeful, but I'm not sure western civilization as it's currently configured has the philosophical underpinnings to move beyond the denial/despair dichotomy in a productive way. With the collapse of organized religion, the cult of progress is the dominant ethos of the west. The average american has a frame of reference that can conceive only of a future of increasing consumption and technological complexity. If for some reason that can't happen, the only other possibility is one dominated by roving bands of cannibals.

The idea that the future will get steadily "worse" (in terms of consumption) for not only your lifetime but the lifetimes of your children and their children is going to break a lot of brains, and despair is a fertile breeding ground for extremism. We already see a resurgent fascism with the damage done to the cult of progress by late stage capitalism and early climate change. If we're going to transition to tackling climate change by engaging with reality, it will require a dramatic shift in the western ethos.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
hey please don't get this thread gassed TIA

if your plan is to solve climate change by doing a bunch of illegal poo poo maybe a good first step is to not post it online. oh, you don't actually plan to do anything? well then there's not much point in posting about it.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Now that the IPCC is starting to talk frankly, it seems like there's a flood of mainstream reporting on what the reality of the end of this century looks like. The bulletin of atomic scientists published a piece calling the latest report optimistic, and now we're seeing large publications starting to get down to brass tacks. I can't imagine seeing this in the news a year ago:

quote:

So Heinberg suggests that if we’re serious about avoiding climate catastrophe, we need to look at shrinking overall economic activity, de-emphasizing GDP in favour of “quality of life indicators”, and reigning in population growth while instituting a guaranteed jobs program or a universal basic income.

“We’re headed for a crash sooner or later,” he observes. “Wouldn’t it be better to make the post-growth transition on our terms, rather than in crisis mode? Why not use the inevitability of the end of growth to our advantage by planning to reduce both mindless consumerism and carbon emissions, while increasing equity and quality of life?”

The UN's Devastating Climate Change Report Was Too Optimistic

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's the only timeline that exists.

All the dumb "we will ban meat!"/"we will have a global 1 child policy!" stuff has a time line of "this is not stuff that is actually going to happen" no matter how often people present it as a one weird trick.

Yeah, I mean you're wrong in a way that's obviously delusional but also quintessentially western. Is there really much to debate or discuss here? What is it you get out of this thread? The choices on offer are actually we will have a global 1 child policy or we will have a global none child policy. We'll ban factory farming or global famine will ban it for us (or most likely, we'll do the one shortly before the other).

Life is not star trek, there are real physical limits to the planetary systems that support us. Just an example, iirc even stopping all GHG emissions but continuing to grow energy production by 2% a year for the next 300 years, we would cook the earth to the point of no longer supporting life just from the waste heat.

This isn't a technical problem, it's a behavioral problem. If we're going to behave like an r-selected species in a closed system, we will sooner or later experience the fate of all such species. Your argument seems to be at root "human behavior can't be changed"... which ok, but why are you posting here if you believe that? Who is it you expect to convince?

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think you remembered correctly.

It was 2.3%, so you're right: Galactic-Scale Energy

I don't have a PHD in physics, but it seems like a pretty straightforward function of compound growth. This is just one random thought experiment, but I think the greater point is- there's meaningful discussion to be had within the problem space of how do we find solutions within the limits to growth that are imposed by physical reality. If you think technology will forever overcome all such limits, that seems more like a personal spirituality.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Epitope posted:

Does this subject make people depressed? Or does it just attract the sad sacks and give them a real world justification for the feelings they have (and would have regardless)

Little bit of column a, little bit of column b, imo. When your ethos is consumerism, being told your consumption is going to go down either voluntarily or involuntarily naturally causes some folks to enter the grieving process. Since consumerism and technofetishism are the dominant religions among the SA demographic, it makes sense we get a good number of the first group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Mata posted:

Relax, the oceans will come to us.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is not one miserable person in this thread that I believe for even a second that if a scientist called a meeting and demonstrated he could pull 100 million tons of carbon out of the atmosphere for a dollar in a scalable way and that climate change was canceled that I believe would then become happy instead of being angry and desperately trying to find the next thing that justifies their misanthropy and personal lovely pessimism.

True and good posts. Although I don't get how you can be a misanthrope and sad about climate change. It's gonna rule watching the human population drop by 10 figures at a time by the latter half of the century.