Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Thug Lessons posted:

Asinine point. Ignorant at best, maybe deliberate deception. Yes, scientists agree that feedbacks will cause CO2 to increase even after human emissions peak, but they certainly don't agree that they go on forever. The is a clear consensus that a runaway greenhouse effect is not going to happen, a consensus as strong as that the greenhouse effect is occurring at all.

What about positive feedback systems like the release of methane from melting permafrost and methane-hydrides in the oceans? How does that play into the runaway scenarios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Thug Lessons posted:

Methane is probably the most misunderstood aspect of climate change by the general public. Methane doesn't even stay in the atmosphere. It oxidizes and turns into CO2 rapidly and all of the methane we're emitting today will be gone in ten years...

https://phys.org/tags/methane/ says:

Yes:

Methane in the atmosphere is eventually oxidized, producing carbon dioxide and water. As a result, methane in the atmosphere has a half life of seven years.

But:

Methane is a relatively potent greenhouse gas with a high global warming potential of 72 (averaged over 20 years) or 25 (averaged over 100 years).

The abundance of methane in the Earth's atmosphere in 1998 was 1745 parts per billion, up from 700 ppb in 1750. Methane can trap about 20 times the heat of CO2. In the same time period, CO2 increased from 278 to 365 parts per million. The radiative forcing effect due to this increase in methane abundance is about one-third of that of the CO2 increase. In addition, there is a large, but unknown, amount of methane in methane clathrates in the ocean floors. The Earth's crust contains huge amounts of methane. Large amounts of methane are produced anaerobically by methanogenesis. Other sources include mud volcanoes, which are connected with deep geological faults, and livestock (primarily cows) from enteric fermentation.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Not to mention the acidification of oceans from the absorption of the increased level of CO2 combined with higher water temperatures killing off corals.

And maybe even plankton.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Westmountdke posted:

Hey guys,

I used to post a little bit years ago but kind of drifted away but I recently saw a former professor of mine post a graph from realclimatescience.com and then i said that this guys reputation is poo poo but then he challenged me about the data. So I went to the website and downloaded his program and looked at the code.

Has anyone else looked at this? I got the impression that his code just averages temperatures for all stations that are reporting and assumes that's the average temperature of the continental united states. Am I correct? Is this guy really getting hits based on such lovely work? Or did I miss something entirely?

Hope someone else here has looked into it.

The guy behind that is a bit of a kook.

Steven Goddard is a global warming skeptic, regular contributor to WattsUpWithThat (WUWT), and operator of ”The Deplorable Climate Science Blog.” The name “Steven Goddard” is a pseudonym used by Tony Heller, which he confirmed himself in June 2014.

Tony Heller describes himself as “an independent thinker who is considered a heretic by the orthodoxy on both sides of the climate debate.” He has degrees in Geology and Electrical Engineering, and lives in Columbia, Maryland. He describes global warming as the “biggest scientific fraud in history.”

Steven Goddard is known for a 2008 article in The Register where he posited that Arctic Sea ice is not receding and claimed that data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) showing the opposite was incorrect. Goddard later issued a retraction on his statement.

Goddard operates a blog titled “Real Science”, originally located at Real-Science.com, then at Stevengoddard.wordpress.com (until May, 2016), and now at Realclimatescience.com.

Stance on Climate Change

“Make no mistake about it, global warming is the biggest scientific fraud in history.”

“Global warming is indeed Mann-made, by Michael Mann and James Hansen. But it has nothing to do with climate or science.”

“”The 97% consensus quoted daily by Barack Obama is based on a few fraudulent studies of a handful of published papers.”

“There is no global warming crisis. There is a crisis of the White House having government agencies manipulate data, in pursuit of their global warming agenda. There is also a crisis of the White House attacking the Bill of Rights in pursuit of their global warming agenda.”

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Love this sign

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

donoteat posted:

accurate, my dad both denies climate change and insists on driving over the tappan zee bridge

I know that bridge. Good point.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Sunday on CBSs Face The Nation, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said President Donald Trump would be open to remaining in the Paris climate accord. Tillerson said, The position is being led and developed by Gary Cohn over at the National Economic Council. I think if you recall, the president also said, look, we are willing to work with partners in the Paris climate accord. If we can construct a set of terms that we believe is fair and balanced for the American people and recognizes our economy, our economic interests, relative to others, in particular, the second-largest economy in the world, China. He added, I think under the right conditions, the president said hes open to finding those conditions where we can remain engaged with others on what we all agree is still a challenging issue.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

This was denied by the White House, fwiw.

Before Tillerson's comments though. So who knows what's happening.

Note: Tillerson is the ex CEO of Exxon and was rumored to be in favor of staying in the Paris Accords. After all, Exxon has 40 years of climate science to back that up :-)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Heres the actual article

It’s basically the opposite of this thread and saying if we take the lower bound of the models and get net carbon emissions to 0 by 2030 we can warm by only 1.5C!

It won’t let me copy paste out of the article but just read the very last paragraph. The scenario portrayed is not going to happen.

It also ignores the 'feedback' mechanisms with the permafrost melting and the release of methane. Ditto on the methane hydrides in the Oceans.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

call to action posted:

Why even discuss the use of carbon sequestration that will not and cannot exist? Why not just make scientific models that assume the God Spirit will inhale the world's atmospheric carbon on February 20, 2020?

Massive changes in agriculture would sequester carbon but people would have to eat far less animal product.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Goffer posted:

As to how they are formed, here's something that is happening right now in America: http://e360.yale.edu/features/small-pests-big-problems-the-global-spread-of-bark-beetles - "Bark beetles are a natural part of the conifer forest life cycle, regularly flaring and fading like fireworks. But the scope and intensity in the past two decades is anything but normal, scientists say, in large part because rising temperatures are preventing the widespread winter die-off of beetle larvae, while also enhancing the beetles’ killing power. Not only are the insects expanding into new territory, they’re also hatching earlier and reproducing more frequently. "

If you're interested in the ideal temperature to breed plague insects like locusts: http://birdcare.com.au/locusts.htm: For the production of uniform size locusts a constant even temperature of about 35 degrees Celsius (and that includes 4 AM in the morning in winter when the owner is snuggled up in bed) with a humidity of as little as possible is necessary.

Heat and dry makes for more insects, more destructive insects, and less resilient plants. Which isn't good for arid areas in general.

The pine trees around here (San Diego) are dying off in droves. Ditto Oregon, Washington, and BC. This feeds the wildfire intensity.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

WaryWarren posted:

It's weird, most vegetarians/vegans I've known in my life are chubby/fat. Myself, I've been on the keto diet for awhile and don't weigh much more than I did in high school. I rarely eat beef or pork, generally eat fish or chicken (which has the same CO2 equivalent as tomatoes/potatoes per calorie) for protein.

Maybe the cheese/egg/dairy vegetarians are fat, but the vegans I know are rail thin.

I’m the only vegan I know who is overweight. Of course I used to weight 100+lbs more so there’s that.

I’ve read that Animal Agriculture contributes more to climate change than all transport combined.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Sent to Steve Jurvetson, who's on Tesla's Board.

The opportunity for Tesla in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

This is a chance for Tesla to do good and a long-term business opportunity as well. Electrical rates in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico were around 30¢/kwh prior to the hurricane. I understand that Solar City charges 6.66¢/kwh when they own the panels. To make this work, you would need the Tesla Powerwall too. So perhaps this could come in at 12¢ per kwh. Could be great for all. Replacing unreliable electrical grid with residential and community solar in a timely fashion would be an amazing achievement.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

And then you get to sell the solar panels again the next time there's a direct hit from a tropical cyclone!

Or not:

Antigua's well-built PV systems sustain impact of hurricane Irma

Antigua at only 50 km distance from the eye of the storm and well within the devastating display of natural forces suffered less damage, but was affected seriously as well with sustained winds exceeding at times 275 km/h.

This devastating natural disaster has even more underlined the importance of a diligent and reliable approach in terms of planning and installing PV solar systems in hurricane-prone regions.

Since the clean energy provider PV Energy has already beforehand adapted the design, mounting and structuring of its solar power racking systems and solar panels to the potential risk of hurricanes almost all solar systems designed and installed by PV Energy sustained the devastation through Irma.

Designed to withstand hurricanes of up to the category 4, each of the 55 solar power installations on Antigua, ranging from several kWp to the 3 MWp and 4 MWp utility scale installations at the international airport of Antigua and in the Lavington/Bethesda region with a total of 38,000 panels mounted, have survived hurricane Irma without damages or substantial system failures.

One of these PV systems, based on a 50 kWp sun2safe hybrid converter, was even able to generate 25% of its maximum expected performance during the worst hours of the hurricane, thanks to its proprietary MPPT tracking algorithm which is able to optimise the production even under extreme weather conditions.

"This experience confirms our commitment to supplying tier one equipment only and adopt proven, reliable and diligently calculated and designed engineering solutions", states PV Energy's Chief Technical Officer Thomas Beindorf.

Load test for racking systems, ramming depths for the pillars of the substructures as well as reinforced frames and modules are just a few key factors to be considered for planning and installing robust solar energy plants.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought solar city only did rooftop solar, not these types of heavy infrastructure deployments?

Also if there were hurricane force sustained winds in antigua you should tell the national hurricane center because they'd surely like to know about it.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/031543.shtml

They are doing some large projects in Australia:

Tesla wins bid to build world’s largest lithium-ion battery for South Australia

esla CEO Elon Musk promised back in March that his electric car company, which also owns solar energy provider SolarCity, could help the state of South Australia with its routine weather-caused blackout issues. At the time, Musk said Tesla was so serious about the endeavor, he wrote on Twitter that the project could be completed within 100 days of a signed deal or it’d come free of charge. Now, Tesla is getting the opportunity to make good on that promise, as the company has won the government of South Australia’s bid to build what would be the world’s largest lithium-ion battery.

Tesla beat out 91 international bidders for the project — perhaps because of Musk’s clout (and proven track record) and his audacious claim to waive the installation fee — to supply South Australia with a 100-megawatt lithium-ion energy storage solution. It would be the largest lithium-ion battery system ever made, and it appears to involve a substantial scaling up of Tesla’s current commercial Powerpack system first unveiled back in 2015.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Unormal posted:

Chop down forests, turn them into sailing ships, sail them to the deepest ocean trench and sink them with all hands. Repeat until carbon problem solved.

Chop down forests, turn them into sailing ships, live on them, raise purple berries, after Trump starts Global Thermonuclear War.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The $$$ spent on the Iraq war could have put solar on the roof of almost every building in the USA.

Just FYI.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Martin Random posted:

We just lost Puerto Rico, the territory, the nation. We don't recognize it yet, but that island nation and others like it have just started an irrevocable, generational decline.

Sadly, it won't matter till it happens to a bunch of white people.

Trump's FEMA response to the disaster in Puerto Rico makes "Heck of a Job" Brownie look like a logistical genius.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Got a detailed lowdown on this? You usually have to do some digging below the surface to find this stuff, and USPOL is difficult to navigate st the best of times.

Supplies sitting on the docks because no one planned the logistics of moving them to where they are needed.

What should have happened was to dispatch the Army Corps of Engineers to get the roads and bridges working ASAP, the dispatch of truck drivers (yes they didn't have drivers) and meanwhile on THE DAY AFTER THE HURRICANE get choppers in there to deliver emergency supplies.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/us/puerto-rico-fema-response/index.html

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume USAF can't airlift in heavy trucks because their entire airlift capability is being overused for the forever war?

Just airlifting the supplies sitting on the docks (only 4% distributed) would have been a good start.

The do have the trucks. The roads need to be cleared. Some bridges replaced. We have a unit in the army that does that. The Army Corp Of Engineers.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Hey, remember how Tesla batteries were proof that Elon Musk totally cares about the climate?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/16383048/elon-musk-spacex-rocket-transport-earth-travel

gently caress. ELON. MUSK.

Hydrogen-Oxygen rockets are pretty clean. And you can create hydrogen from water + electricity.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Not taking credit for this (I sent a message to a member of their board soon after the hurricane), but this is good news.

Tesla is shipping hundreds of Powerwall batteries to Puerto Rico
Some of them are already on the commonwealth, along with company employees to install them.

Tesla is sending hundreds of its Powerwall battery systems to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico. The commonwealth has been almost entirely without power since after Hurricane Maria made landfall on September 20th and tore up its energy infrastructure. Once the storm passed, Tesla started sending hundreds of its standalone power banks, and some have already arrived while more are en route.

Powerwalls, first unveiled in 2015, are large batteries designed to store power gathered by solar panels. Tesla sent its own employees to help install units, and is reportedly working with local organizations to find the best locations for the power banks. These could potentially be worked into whatever energy network can be constructed, but there's no timeline for how long it will take to revive the commonwealth's power network.

As New Scientist points out, since the entire grid went down, it must be restarted from scratch in a labor-intensive process known as a 'black start'. Meanwhile, a majority of the 3.4 million Puerto Ricans can't refrigerate food, run air conditioning to stave off the Caribbean heat or pump potable water.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/29/tesla-ship-hundreds-powerwall-batteries-puerto-rico/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Tesla normalizing electric cars and large capacity home batteries might be the biggest things anyone has done to disrupt fossil fuel use in history.

Think back before Tesla.

Electric cars were a joke. No range, slow and ugly.

Elon was smart enough to grab the AC Propulsion guys and take the T-Zero concept and get the Roadster out. That part was hard enough.

The Tesla S is just freaking amazing for a first real effort. Look at this chart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

Another funny thing about this chart is the fact that the Tesla is the only U.S. brand on it.

MAGA!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

An interesting development in solar fuels.

Copper catalyst yields high efficiency CO2-to-fuels conversion
Critical role of nanoparticle transformation discovered

Scientists have developed a new electrocatalyst that can directly convert carbon dioxide into multicarbon fuels and alcohols using record-low inputs of energy. The work is the latest in a round of studies tackling the challenge of a creating a clean chemical manufacturing system that can put carbon dioxide to good use.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170918151710.htm

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

karthun posted:

Why would the cobalt and lithium be junk after 10 years?

Tesla claims they are able to recycle the materials. This is from 2011:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/teslas-closed-loop-battery-recycling-program

95% of the stuff I read about "batteries/solar/wind bad" is probably coming from oil-biz funded shills.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Rime posted:

I have posted repeatedly in here that recycling batteries amounts to vaporizing them in blast furnaces and recovering very little of the material.

Most of your other recycling programs are bullshit to make you feel good, btw. Plastics recycling in particular is a massive hoax, very few blends are reusable for manufacturing.

More on this:

Here is an explanation of Umicore’s recycling process for Tesla batteries:

The Umicore battery recycling technology is able to save at least 70 percent on CO2 emissions at the recovery and refining of these valuable metals. It does this by creating “products” and “byproducts,” rather than following a mechanical separation process.

“Product” is comprised of an alloy that’s refined into cobalt, nickel and other metals. Traditionally, cobalt is used as a metallic powder to harden tools, or a pigment for ceramics. Umicore has developed a process whereby the cobalt (the highest value material in our batteries) is used to make up LCO (lithium cobalt oxide) that can be resold to battery manufacturers.

The “byproduct” produced together with the alloy fraction is an environment-friendly slag where the lithium contained in EV batteries ends up. This “byproduct” containing lithium is valorized in different applications, one being construction material. Nearly 5 percent of the global man-made CO2 emissions worldwide are produced by cement manufacturing. Replacing the raw materials with secondary raw materials, and avoiding thermal processing, significantly reduces the CO2 emission and non-renewable resources consumption. With the “byproduct,” the construction industry is able to use this secondary raw material as a more environmentally-conscious alternative.

The only other emissions from the recycling process are CO2, water vapor, and dust. The dust makes up about 1 percent of the total output, and goes to protected landfill. In an effort to reuse every possible part of the process, the Umicore facility even sells the electricity created from an on-site combined natural gas generation plant to the copper mine next door, which uses the heat in its smelters.

So, lithium battery packs not only save thousands of gallons of gasoline/diesel over the life of the vehicle, it is less toxic than the lead-acid batteries that are in regular cars. Then, at this moment, much of it is being recycled, with the ultimate goal of 100% reusability of Tesla batteries.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Alpha Mayo posted:

So science question: Shouldn't global warming slow down?

What I mean is, for each ppm increase in atmospheric CO2, shouldn't each additional ppm have less overall effect than the last? Since a hotter object radiates heat faster, wouldn't that mean the additional heat slowed down by the CO2 blanket would make its way to space faster?

Basically I am wondering if going from 500->600ppm would have a smaller global warming effect than 400->500ppm.

The oceans can only absorb so much, so in fact, the situation gets worse as the levels rise.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

call to action posted:

b-b-but I was told that the market had already made this decision and that nobody would ever want coal again

Fossil fuel subsidies are a staggering $5 tn per year
A new study finds 6.5% of global GDP goes to subsidizing dirty fossil fuels

Pre-tax (the narrow view of subsidies) subsidies amount to 0.7% of global GDP in 2011 and 2013. But the more appropriate definition of subsidies is much larger (8 times larger than the pre-tax subsidies). We are talking enormous values of 5.8% of global GDP in 2011, rising to 6.5% in 2013.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/aug/07/fossil-fuel-subsidies-are-a-staggering-5-tn-per-year

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

blowfish posted:

actually, if the market were truly free~, then without subsidies coal would have already imploded :pseudo:

Especially if they had to fund external costs (health, cleanups etc.).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

the old ceremony posted:

no but that chunk of land and all its animals are :unsmith:

thank you all for planting trees

I stopped eating meat or dairy.

win.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It's really amazing how fast everything in the ocean is going to be completely dead.

And here I thought dying from famine would be the next generation's problem, not mine.

Soylent Green is PEEPLE!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

the very notion of a "country" will be blamed as the insane premise that we're not one planet & people

Why not blame the USA? The ruling party completely denies climate change, the "denial industry" is funded by US corporations and individuals, and we backed out of the climate agreement.

China sucks, but at least they are moving away from Coal etc.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Lots of pine bark beetles killing trees all over the place, the winters aren't killing them.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-sierra-dead-trees-20170128-story.html

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

It's really great that people give the world's largest polluter a pass for making GBS threads up the global environment and making plans to poo poo it up even more as the century continues because at least they have the wherewithal to release green propaganda in order to cover their asses.

China pollutes hard and without remorse and with plans to continue to do so for the foreseeable future but we give them a pass because they say the correct things and will occasionally build a big solar farm that isn't connected to their grid.

China is the leading producer of solar panels, has signed onto the Paris Accords, and will probably dominate the EV market in a decade.

Trump Digs Coal.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

Chinese solar panels are cheap and inefficient and are a byproduct of mercantalist trade policy more than far-seeing environmental policy, the Paris Accords require China to do literally loving nothing, and lol China can't even build a decent regular car.

You're being had by the propaganda of a crypto-fascist autocracy.

China is a Kleptocracy. And whatever gravitas the USA had over the Chinese has been trumped by our recent move to complete Climate denial.

And trains. China has decent trains.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

And the United States isn't?

More of a Plutocracy. Google "DuPont Heir Rapist" for a nice example.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

treerat posted:

Do you realize how wasteful it is for everyone to have their own car, how much time each car spends idle? The sharing economy will ensure that many, many people will not have their own electric vehicle.

Buy a self-driving EV car. Have it pay for you by sharing it to others. Use the battery to augment the utility during peak use. Get paid by the utility. etc. etc.

Cars are sitting around 90% of the time anyway.

And there's already an AirBnB like thing for cars. Turo.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nothing to see here, move along ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dex_sda posted:

The only solution to turning our lush planet slightly less hospitable is to permanently settle in a 2.7 Kelvin void.

Not to mention the cosmic rays giving one the equivalent of a chest X-Ray every month.