Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, the thing about the Orcs in WoW is that they've been outed as less "Noble Savages who were cruelly corrupted to kill The Other" and more "Naturally violent assholes because they evolved on a world full of deadly poo poo and thus doesn't take much to convince them that The Other are gonna be #7,493,432,401 Thing That Is Gearing Up To Kill You".

so then why are the orcs brown now when everything from wc1 to wc3 showed them as green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

like is it worse that the huge muscular savages with underbites are now brown-skinned? it seems that way to me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

porfiria posted:

No but you're saying dumbness and complexity are two distinct qualities now? Because you initially said everything post 2 is dumb, but what you really meant was that everything post 2 is complex?

:qq: warcraft fan tears detected :qq:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

The only data point we have in this discussion is that, according to Blizzard, most people stop playing Starcraft 2 when they are done with the campaign, and even that's a half-remembered data point.

i wonder if people stop playing after the campaign because the campaign story is that loving bad

kerrigan turns into an angel for some reason and the jimmy finds her in a bar? yeah, sure, i'll spend even more time on this game after that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

temple posted:

That's exactly the ending players want and would never admit. People hate that Blizzard nakedly panders to them instead of like Chris Nolan who classes up people's shameful fantasies.

i hate the fact that blizzard openly panders to what could be considered the 'gamer ideal'. it's part of the reason i dislike a lot of overwatch - look, it's le funny british meme girl XD

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

If this movie proves successful things will get much more complex. The plot of Warcraft II has SIGNIFICANT shades of grey going on at all levels of the Orc's side of the story, and they've only been enhanced by a few retcons made by WC3 and WoW. The line between Questionable Morals and Evil will blur a lot.

This movie does seem to take a more Star Warsian approach though, which is appropriate for Warcraft 1 because it WAS a much more simple story.

what the gently caress

no, nothing about warcraft was 'enhanced' by 'a few retcons', particularly the stuff that came out post-WC3

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Is there a particular reason you're choosing to add a positive connotation to "enhance?" Would you have preferred "intensified?" I just meant "were made more than they were previously," cool your loving jets.

generally if you enhance something it's a good thing. that's what words mean.

"intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Apparently these were much different games than I recall.

don't worry, like that other guy said, this kind of thing 'enhanced' the world of warcraft

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The big difference is that Blizzard went from corruption to 'Corruption'. That is, corruption being a slow process that revealed something about the character or characters involved (or, in the case of Mengsk, was that you and Raynor were suckers) to, essentially, a laser beam that the villain could use to turn people bad. Arthas is probably the first example of this kind of thing, but even he was damned by his behaviors and flaws, his need to protect his country at any cost.

Compare it to Legacy of the Void where Amon, the big bad Xel'Naga, just turns Protoss evil with glowing red eyes at a whim with no foreshadowing or gravitas. It's a light switch that the bad guy can throw so you can fight someone without any moral quandaries (just like how the Tal'Darim in SC2 are Evil Protoss invented purely so Raynor can fight Protoss) It's nothing like what happened with Kerrigan and the Dark Templar Matriarch.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

when's the Overwatch movie

haha yase the british meme girl XD korean ice girl XD

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I always thought Medivh's thing came from conspiring with Gul'Dan across the astral plane or whatever?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can't even imagine what a warcraft II movie would even be. It barely had a story and was mostly about meeting the dwarfs and elves which this movie already had. Plus the expansion is just barely cannon in the most hand waviest ways possible.

Well, shutting down the Dark Portal...

Which I've heard was done in this movie?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xealot posted:

It sucks because there are definite elements of a good movie in there, but they got so lost in the lore and setting. The story of this movie could've been so simple: the Orcs arrive and are a hyperreal source of horror. Azeroth is boring and mundane, and the Horde is this walking nightmare of giant green monster men. But as it stands, *everything* is hyperreal. Every soldier carries some kind of blunderbuss, and there are wizards surrounded by glowing blue poo poo, and their castles float, and there are elves with glowing eyes and giant griffons that fly. The central conflict doesn't even stand out against it.

That's literally what the first Warcraft was. Orcs arrive and they're riding wolves and summoning demons and poo poo and Stormwind guys get stomped into the ground despite fending off the first Orcish expeditionary force. Like, the Stormwind humans didn't even have dwarves or elves.

But everything I'm hearing seems to indicate that none of this really happens in the film and it kind of crushes the first two games together.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair Deathwing turning into a Human is actually from Warcraft 2. He attempts to marry Arthas' sister and pretends to be some noble from Alterac from memory, Lord Daval Prestor. He also gives the Orcs the Tool to enslave his sister Alextsrasza so they can breed drakes.

No, it's not.

Also, I think all the dragon stuff from WoW is stuff even Metzen said he regretted.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i watched some clips of this film on youtube

it looks extremely bad

that's my hot take

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Aces High posted:

So if Blizzard were to ever make a Starcraft movie, how do you think that would go over?

The story as shown in the first Terran campaign, or the novelization of it, could make a pretty decent movie. But beyond that? I'm not sure you could do it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

What would be a hypothetical sequel to Warcraft?

Me, a cool person: I think a story about Arthas would be an interesting, simple narrative that could bring in some of the more fantastical elements of the universe.

Duncan Jones, brain rotted by WoW: This first film is about establishing the world, and showing Durotan helping his son escape a dying planet. So to me the idea over the course of three films would be for Thrall to fulfil that vision of Durotan to create a new homeland for the Orcs. So in the sequel it would be the adolescent years of that baby, and anyone who does know their Warcraft stories would know it’s very much a Spartacus story that goes on with that character. I would basically follow that through. And with the human side of it, which is a little less clear of how that would follow, but basically there is an aftermath to this film which would need to be completed. And on the Orc side you’re very much following that baby, Go’el, known as Thrall in the universe, and how he eventually creates the Orc homeland. My fascination with trying to do Warcraft in three films and the idea of family, is I love the idea of Durotan has sacrificed himself so his son and the people he cares about can survive – I want to see that sacrifice pay off. That’s the trilogy. That’s the heart of the story. The rest of it is mumbo jumbo names and poo poo. Good poo poo because Chris Metzen is a wonderful writer, but the heart of the story is someone’s sacrifice because they thought it was worth sacrificing for, and it was a good person who has a good kid and I want that good kid to pay off.

• Locked thread