Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Awfully convenient the same people who have terrible 'genetic' body odor also have terrible allergies to soaps.

Are they also allergic to regular hand soap? do they never wash their hands either? :barf:

I do know a guy with an honest to god disorder of some kind, for some reason his sweat smells loving horrible. He showers several times a day but the moment he starts to sweat you can smell him from across the room. If he's in a car and sweats on the seat the smell lingers for hours unless you drive for a while with the windows down. Antiperspirant helps to a degree but if he just puts deodorant or body spray on they're easily overpowered by his intensely rank stench. You can imagine the professional and social difficulties he's had because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

mng posted:

Like the kid from Freaks And Geeks?

I've never seen it so I couldn't tell you. The guy is in his mid 30s and still smelled like that when I last saw him a couple of years ago. He did get married a while back though so good for him.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Oh I certainly believe its possible but I'm saying its more likely its one or the other. The odds of someone having horrible genetic stench AND being allergic to anything soap related seem pretty slim, thankfully.

Febreeze works wonders for sat-in stink though. Anything that can bind to the stink molecules and make them inert works well.

Yeah, there's no way you could mistake this guy for someone who just didn't wash. His smell is way different from normal body odor, it's kinda similar to the sort of burnt rubber undertone that skunk spray has, a bit like catching a whiff of a dead skunk on the other side of a freeway. When I lived back home and hung out with that guy I kept a bottle of Febreeze under my car seat for just that purpose. Stink aside, he's a pretty cool dude.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

King Doom posted:

What the gently caress even is this? I passed an actual billboard with Legal names are illegal and nothing else on it going to work last week, and I'm in the UK! drat thing was a genuine ad as well, not something someone had scrawled on there.

Sovereign citizen or freemen on the land stuff. UK groups were inspired by US groups but quickly grew into its own very British form of craziness.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I got a friend request from a guy I knew in high school, it's been more than 15 years, I wonder what he's up to

:stare:

He's really mad and dumb about transgender people. I don't know any of the other people.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Using a Branco cartoon to make a point seems oddly counterproductive.

He is not a smart man.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Tell him I (an icky trans) am going to pee on him.

I'm not touching this particular poop, I thought about unfriending him but I'm sure he'll provide me with lots of content for this thread.

Madkal posted:

Some people's arguments boiled down to "I don't want to tell my kids that people are different and not everyone is the same. That's too hard on parents". How did this idiots ever decide to become parents in the first place?

I don't think he actually has kids, just a niece. Here's the OP of a ridiculously long post the same guy made that I just don't have it in me to anonymize right now.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

belt posted:

I'm a vet and I'm also a pretty lovely person. I drink too much and I probably could run a mile in about 3 days but we aren't gonna find that out because I'm never gonna do that.

To address your point though. My experience in the military was basically just making sure that every 6 months I could do the bare minimum on the PFT (physical fitness test) to pass so nobody would gently caress with me for the next 6 months.

There was a period there, from probably 2005 until maybe 2012 or 2013, before the drawdown, where you could get away with all kinds of bullshit because they just needed warm bodies. Back in 2000-2002 my unit and most others on my post at the time mandated remedial PT for anyone who got under 250. When I was back in for a bit around 2008 lots of people were barely scraping 180 and that was with more than a bit of pencil whipping. It still blows my mind how many people were making E-5 after like 18 months, that poo poo is just crazy.

Also, lots of attitudes changed within the Army after 9/11, lots of people were fairly reasonable about how a soldier should be treated but once that decades long collective "Are Troops" blowjob began a lot of people got used to being the center of attention and can't handle when they're not.

Basically this

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Hecuba posted:

High school hatefollow is at it again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that weeaboo Trumpers are a thing that exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXfk5lpLew

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I saw this dumb right wing meme with a few posts under it but they weren't the standard :newfap: I was expecting.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know what was going on in France but apparently people are protesting something and there's a woman being mildly annoying and not building a shrine to police officers and so she must be PUT IN HER PLACE. Naturally, I found this on imgur.

https://imgur.com/gallery/il3lSpT?third_party=1

Man, I didn't know Obelix joined the CRS :(

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

mng posted:

Oh no my finger slipped and kept commenting on my accidental status about how a shagged sum bird ;) x

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

TinTower posted:

The Irish-American community is literally the worst. They spend most of the nineteenth and twentieth century stepping on the backs of black people and the European Irish community, and now they want to claim kinship with the people they disavowed years ago?

No, they want to smugly claim victory in the Oppression Olympics.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Elpato posted:

In my experience (from living on base/being enlisted), you can have personal guns and other weapons in your home, but you can't just have a weapon on you unless you are assigned a duty that requires that weapon. You also have to qualify with that weapon to a certain degree of proficiency before they issue it to you.

Folks that live in the barracks have to lock up their weapons in their unit's barracks unless they are taking it to the range. This is for a multitude of reasons, chief among them security (due to proximity) and the typical barracks dweller is young and immature. The policies may just be dependent upon which base you are talking about.

That's pretty much the entire reason they have people in the barracks lock up their personal weapons in the vault. Anyone who's seen the poo poo combat arms soldiers get up to in the barracks would want their guns locked up. Every unit I was in required the commander's written permission to withdraw your guns and then you had to have them back by the end of the duty day, so basically only during leave because the unit armorer isn't going to be there on the weekends. Some guys did have friends who lived off-post store them to avoid the hassle.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Jippa posted:

Yes but do you think it even realises that the meat it is eating is chicken? It wasn't a moral choice it made.

Again though, do you think a chicken understands it's living situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMo4WlBmGM

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Public page so I'm not censoring.

IAVA, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America marched in NYC Pride and some of its members, or at least people who follow the page, were less than thrilled.

At least a lot of the replies to those comments are people making fun of them. The impotent tears are pretty great.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Karma Monkey posted:

What cultures don't have distinct words for green and blue?

In some (maybe all, I don't know) of the Celtic languages they use one word for various shades of green, blue and grey and add words to differentiate like "sky", "leaf" or whatever particular shade you're trying to talk about. Of course, there are recently invented words for green in some of those languages because of the influence of the majority language but older speakers often find them really bizarre.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

Is hunting deer really all that manly/impressive? "Ooh, I'm such a MAN I only hunt skittish herbivores that get startled and run away if you make too much noise from 20 feet away!"

He could at least lie and say he hunts bears or something.

Jeff Daniels made an entire movie about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcKLe7vizrM&t=97s

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I got a friend request from some random dude I don't know, I looked at his timeline and it tells one hell of a story.

He seems to think trucking is pretty sweet.

Uh oh, trouble in paradise.

I'm sure he didn't take it too badly right?

:stare:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Aramek posted:

I did have one person every year try and call it "Samhain" or whatever bullshit, that almost counts.

My mom is a Wiccan of some kind and she does that. She had this weird idea that a big grab bag of mystical stuff (I never ask details) were commonplace in modern Celtic countries and when I moved to Brittany (she lives in the States) this was one of the things she was excited to "confirm" to her Wiccan friends. She thinks Celtic languages are somehow more "in tune with magic" so she assumed that since I speak Breton I must have had magical business going on around me on a daily basis. She pretty frequently calls me with odd questions but she was really in rare form that night.

me: :confused:

her: :j:

:j: So, are you doing anything for Samhain?

:confused: Sorry, for what? (she had pronounced it like Sam Hane)

:j: *spells out Samhain*

:confused: Ah, Samhain. That's Irish for November, I guess I don't really understand the question?

:j: It's a Celtic festival, on that day the walls between this world and the other are thinner. Are any of your friends going to any ceremonies or rituals tonight?

:confused: Not that I'm aware of.

:j: Maybe it's because you're a foreigner and they think you wouldn't understand

:confused: I'm pretty sure most of my friends are going to Halloween parties or bars.

:j: They'll probably do it afterwards.

:confused: Sorry but I should probably go, I'm meeting some friends at the bar in a few minutes.

:j: Be careful going home afterwards, fairies will be out tonight and they can be dangerous.

:confused: Ok mom, talk to you later.

I love her to death but conversations like that are just exhausting.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Wiccan mom rules too, she sounds like she's found something that makes her really happy and fulfilled. We should all be so lucky.

For all the awkward conversations it causes I am really glad she found that, she's had a really rough life and the last 10 years or so since she's found Wicca have been some of her happiest.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Not really an idiot on social media but I figured this thread would appreciate this guy. I saw him posting a comment on an article. The name translates to "A leftist bourgeois bohemian Zionist reptilian"

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I love LoB's short posts, it's just a glimpse at the horror beyond the veil but it's still quite enough to disgust and horrify you.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

So this should be a good day for this thread, right?

A small sample, all from the same guy.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Ularg posted:

Update:

What is it with white people and thinking that free speech is more important than the safety of fellow citizens? Like pretty much anytime I hear "Just let them speak and wait it out. If you ignore them they go away" is from a white person. And no offense to this dude, I think he looks fine, but he ain't ubermensch material. He's literally just some neck beard that owns (or has owned) a tabletop gaming store.

For at some of them it's just world garbage, they think that bad ideas will obviously lose in the "free market of ideas" so what's the harm? All recorded history proves otherwise but whatever.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

nerd plus rage posted:

lol at General Armchair calling you a pog

and he acts like his CIB is some sort of super-veteran trump card.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

For whatever reason, I decided to look around at raccoon etymology, and it seems like cultures that were doing a lot of colonialism in the Americas adopted local terminology and other languages translated the old taxonomic name. Washbear comes from ursus lotor, which is how Carl Linnaeus classified them in his taxonomy. Meanwhile, raccoon is adapted from Powhatan. The French term raton-laveur means little washer rat, which doesn't make sense, except that raton sounds kinda/sorta like raccoon and I guess the washer part was added later. Spanish has mapache, which comes from Nahuatl, and Portuguese has guaxinim from Tupi.

I'm not a linguist though and the Italian term is procione, which is just the current genus name, so I dunno.

Things like this are interesting in minority languages within colonizing states because sometimes they just take the dominant language's word (raton lavaire in Occitan) or get it from somewhere else completely (rakoun in Breton).

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Idiots on Social Media: peak violence-arousal

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

An old Army buddy of mine and I were making fun of the "November 4th Antifa supersoldier revolt" conspiracy theory when this guy chimed in with this bucket of crazy:

His security settings are awful so I looked at his profile a bit where I discovered this gem. I'm just going to copy and paste the text because screenshotting this would be a chore

quote:

Gather round boys uncle Russ is talking. Political Correctness is starting to make me sick. I guess that we should just walk around with our mouths shut only open to eat or drink. Oh and don’t make any gesture with your hands. I am watching the best World Series in a long time may be the best of all time. Yuli Gurriel makes a gesture with his hands to slant his eyes at Hu Darvish and the hole world is talking about it. Who cares. I guess Yuli would of been better off if he would of flipped him the bird or grabbed his crotch an said right here Hu. But no he used the Cuban term for Chinese boy and the whole country goes in to a panic. I’m sorry but I don’t care. All I care about is that Yuli hits about 5 more home runs in game 6.
But this is America where every little thing get blown up by the media. I can remember as a kid doing that it was ok 55 years ago. I can remember as a kid, anything made in Japan was junk. I guess it’s like Kid Rock says. I’m a low life. I guess now polish jokes are out. I have never really figured out why a black person can call another black person the N word. But as soon as a white person uses the N word then racism comes in to play. The U S is messed up like never before. People mad to the point of violence because there candidate didn’t win the election. The radical group called Anitfi or how ever you spell it says there going to cause mass kaous on November 4 that there going to war against the Americans who Voted for President Trump. So does that mean I can shoot them and call it an act of modern war fare. I mean war against the American people means your either with them or against them. Why do they have to ware mask and cover there face, are they ashamed of who they are or what there doing., or somebody who knows them might see what stupid people they are Come on be real men and show your faces, why do you need to hide. The union soldiers and confederate soldiers didn’t cover there faces they wore two different colors. So could you people ware the same colors so I know who you are, so I don’t shoot the wrong person because I will fight the war on the American side I was downtown Detroit with my kid. We are going down Woodward to the Nike Store. On the corner is a group of black, about 8 people. They are holding up signs that shows a black man with a whip in his hand and a chain in the other with a white man on the end of the chain, and the sign says the white man will be the black mans slave. Isn’t that racist. I know if it was the other way around and the sign said bring back slavery then that would be racist. All these white people are walking by and saying nothing. Yet all the black people were on Kid Rock for a confederate flag. I guess they have never seen the Kid Rock Common Kitchen at Eastern Market. Oh for the people who can’t think for themselves, that means Kid Rock donated the cash for it. While I was stoped at the light the black man pointed out the sign to me and I just held up my hand index finger straight out and my thumb straight up and then jerked my index finger straight up. Oh ya I laughed as I was doing it. If I wouldn’t had max with me I might have parked and got out. Oh wait Cubans can be racist to. Isn’t the reverend Jessie Jackson and the reverend Al Sharpington both raciest. By the way where are there churches located. I never really could figure that one out. If black lives matter then why are there more blacks killing blacks, than whites killing blacks. Oh ya it’s because a few police officers have shot some black people. What happens when a black cop shoots a black person. Is that ok because blacks condone blacks killing blacks I guess. I know it been long but if you have any trouble understanding this, GET A LIFE OVER AND OUT

He's a fat old white man from the Detroit suburbs who collects disability, shockingly enough.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell, the only english words actually from England anymore (IE the pre-AngloSaxon Celtic language) are place names, IIRC. It would be great to see one of these idiots go back in time to see "pure" pre-invasion english, AKA the language of the Britons before the many invasions, and have it be a completely alien language to them, Anglo-Saxon basically replaced it. Welsh is old British, English is corrupted German, the Britons that didn't flee to france to escape the the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Romans went north and west and became the Welsh and the Scots, wiping out the Picts at the time. It was a massive global game of Musical Chairs.

Komzet 'vez c'hoazh brezhoneg gant bretoned 'zo e Frañs...

cptn_dr posted:

An update: Yellow didn't respond to Red's post, but he did report it to FB and it was removed.

Way to loving go, Facebook.

That poo poo was a loving rollercoaster and I super hate pretty much everyone but Red. Holy gently caress.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Or maybe you're a big dumb baby whose brain shuts off when you hear an accent different from your own

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah iirc Soviet is a breton-facebooking weirdo :v:

You'd be surprised how active the Breton language community is on Facebook

I was in the Army with that guy years ago and he complained to our platoon sergeant when I was talking with another soldier in French (the guy was from Africa and it was one of his native languages) because he was certain we were talking about him. There's a set of people whose brains just short out when they hear people talk in any way different from them, in every country. I and a group of friends got followed for 10 minutes once by a drunk rear end in a top hat yelling "This is France, we speak French here" at us because were speaking Breton, in Brittany.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ilmucche posted:

They've got the mountain, you've got the parking lot.

I have no idea what this means.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tarantula posted:

Funny way to spell voleurs de Mont Saint-Michel.

:bahgawd:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

That's not Minnesota nice :colbert:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Staryberry posted:

I know this isn't quite social media, but I thought you would enjoy this video by Wyatt Koch, heir to a 75 billion dollar Koch fortune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APy2iBMoN-8

He definitely has business acumen and this definitely isn't a vanity project.

Oh my gently caress his shirt literally has bags of money on it.

:killing:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

I don't understand how the hell someone I graduated with (in 2009) can share this, without any irony.

Edit: I hosed up the screenshot, but it's from about living in the 50s.

What's with the bananas and oranges around Christmas time?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thanks. I don't mind a couple of them, but having so many is just obnoxious.

Also, I'm sure I read that post in the r/elationships thread in GBS, so someone actually sat down and added all that bullshit to it.

It was The Saddest Rhino, it's their gimmick.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Hey Women! Girls! want to a fat

Wo-persons! IF YOU a man it.

catch rear end won't do

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cernovich came back after 7 hours because otherwise the haters win.

Also lol
https://twitter.com/leloveiga/status/947144311048679424

Four years without a paycheck and yet somehow managed to eat food and presumably sleep indoors. Neat trick that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

mng posted:

Muskrat is delicious then I guess.

Muskrat is a traditional Lent meal in southeast Michigan because the Archdiocese of Detroit declared muskrat to be a fish for Lent purposes a long time ago.