Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ironically Sherman was not as despised after the war. It wasn't until Jefferson Davis' autobiography that Sherman was portrayed as the ultimate enemy of the South.

Sherman was rather fond of the South and it's institutions and was apparently very hurt when public opinion turned against him.

Sherman likely didn't cause much destruction, either.

It seems that every southern town in his wake has a story that "Sherman had a girlfriend there/thought it was pretty/saw the word Union on a sign" and left them alone. He didn't even burn the state capital, just destroyed some papers in its library.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

IamnotJoe posted:

Guns don't kill people. Gun Owners kill people. Let's just ban Gun Owners.

You know a gun never killed nobody
You can ask anyone
People get shot by people
People with guns

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Kid probably has a Sanderista parent. I got super enthusiastic about whatever guys my folks supported when I was wee, because at that age. Couldn't tell you what the guys' platforms were, but golly gosh were they great!

Yeah. I can remember being in elementary school and going around during recess with a friend of mine asking everyone who their parents were voting for in the presidential election.

It was 1988. Mine were the only ones supporting Dukakis.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Years ago, I had Peter Banks (original guitarist for Yes) friended on Facebook. He wasn't on Facebook much, but every now and then he'd post a status that just said "peter banks" :unsmith:

Jon Anderson's is just as precious at times.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Another story of someone losing a job over Facebook posts. What is it this time?

I was coming here to post that.

She's from Forsyth County, Georgia. Forsyth County is where Oprah Winfrey broadcast in the 1980s as the county claimed to have no black citizens - they had run all of them out 70 years earlier - and was drat proud of it. I can't see why that area still might have a problem with race.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I couldn't help but try to find the origin of that photo.

Turns out there were other names on her list:

quote:

Taylee
McKarty
Nayvie
Maylee
Kamree
Nykee
Taislee
Taigley
Tenley
McKamey
McKartnee
Tayvie

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

I love that KHAYLEIGH-HUNTYR sneaks in there at the end to show that this naming convention was by no means a whim

They have a brother now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

K Prime posted:

Mostly because when your whole state is near sea level there's only so much you can do to force drainage.

Meanwhile I'm in Georgia, 120 miles from the nearest west Florida coastal town and people here have been in WE'RE GONNA DIE mode since Thursday. There's sensibly prepared and there's Walmart shutting down at 5 p.m. today for a system that might be a low tropical storm when it reaches here in 24 hours.

My Facebook is currently a dick measuring contest for how concerned people are about Irma.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

there wolf posted:

It's actually made illegal in places that fell under some faulty eugenics claims that cousin-marriages would produce a bunch of defective offspring. Europe didn't take much stock in those arguments, so they didn't do the same. I guess they just had more intimate knowledge of how much incest it takes to really start loving things up.

Royals had to be able to marry someone.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Moon Pies are designed to be eaten with an RC Cola.

Hello.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Down here in the deep south, some of the area is expecting its second light dusting of a product it calls snow tomorrow morning. Some school systems have called off school, but one of the others has decided to keep going.

Their official Facebook page made an announcement first that they were monitoring the situation, but believed school would still be happening. The second post confirmed school would be in session.

People flipped their poo poo. Among the many fine comments:

The kicker: It's not expected to get below 34 degrees and there is only a 20% chance of rain all day.

Folks, this is why the north makes fun of us.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Jan 17, 2018

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

https://twitter.com/locustbones/status/1002964238825086976

Part of me wants to say this can't be real

The other part of me remembers when I was on Okinawa and got one of my NCOs with the exact same Deez nuts setup twice in two weeks.

"What did you work on at Pope?"
"C-130s, A-10s, and Deez."
"Deez?"
"DEEZ NUTS!!"

loving twice. Nearly word for word.

So yeah I can buy it

Coincidentally, Bofa Deez Nutz has now won a horse race. Includes video from the race with some poor announcer having to unemotionally keep saying "Bofa Deez Nuts."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Facebook really thinks that Brian May, the legendary guitarist of Queen, is a Person I May Know. I am in a music journalist Facebook group (though I haven't written anything in a couple of years now) so having a musician show up in there isn't that wild, but I went and clicked on his profile and he only has 7 friends (0 mutual) and his oldest posts are from last week. I don't like Queen's page or anything either. So as far as I can tell, Facebook is trying to connect me to an old British guy who just joined the site and he happens to be a famous person.

There is an official Brian May Facebook page, though it's almost exclusively This Day in Queen History. Of course, I do know of some famous folk who hide their personal ones and this one doesn't immediately have anything about badgers, so it's not much of a real Brian May Facebook page.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1051924945079537669

I've always held that no matter what dreadful poo poo Jeremy Clarkson does, he will forever have my respect for punching out Piers Morgan when he had the chance.

Still a favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=285DD7QECzY&t=65s

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

I can imagine that a dead person could show up in the voter rolls registered to a particular political party and have the record show that they'd voted in the past however many elections. Because voter fraud happens very occasionally and clerical errors happen all the loving time.

Of all things, Georgia did have this type of thing happen once.

The headline is from 1947. It's part of the Three Governors Controversy.

Eugene Talmadge ran for the Democratic nomination in 1946. By winning the primary, you were all but assured of being voted governor in the general election because Georgia didn't have a Republican presence at all. But Talmadge was ailing and his circle worried that he'd die soon. So there was a very quiet campaign to have voters to write in the name of his son, Herman Talmadge.

Eugene Talmadge was elected governor in November 1946. He died in December, before taking office.

Nobody knew what to do, especially since the state constitution (the last version of which was approved in 1945) did not consider the possibility of succession.

The brand new lieutenant governor - a post created in the November 1946 election - was M.E. Thompson. He thought he should be governor. Talmadge forces pointed towards the write-in votes for Herman. Ellis Arnall, who had been the governor said he'd sit there until the matter was solved. Arnall had not been defeated. Georgia had in recent years barred governors from serving consecutive terms.

Both Talmadge and Arnall set up their own governor's offices. Then Arnall backed off and supported Thompson.

Then it came out that some of the write-in votes for Herman Talmadge were fraudulent. The dead voted for him in Telfair County. In alphabetical order. Some living people's names were also used to cast votes, without their permission. The Talmadges were from Telfair County, which made it pretty suspicious. No one ever got into any trouble for it, though.

Thompson was appointed temporary governor in March 1947. Herman Talmadge won the special election for the seat, which was held a year later.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

porktree posted:

He also wrote a weirdly good book on Axe murder...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_the_Train

No, it was a lovely book with a confusing timeline and even shittier ethically. James either a) just used the first random article that came up in his online newspaper archive searches and didn't look any further or b) willingly chose to ignore details from articles that didn't fit his theories.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Do roadside billboards count as social media? Driving up I-75 yesterday, I saw: 2019 MAGA: Make Alexandria Go Away! They live near a big military base in mid-Georgia with all those manly men and feel threatened.

Bless.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Andrast posted:

Does American school not introduce people to YA stuff?

Depends on your definition of YA. We read several books with young characters, but there isn't anything applicable from Across Five Aprils or The Witch of Blackbird Pond to modern day.

I can only remember one book from middle to high school that we had to read with something close to a contemporary setting. That was William Sleator's Run, which was set at some rich family's beach house in the 1970s and involved teens getting drunk on one occasion. Lord of the Flies was probably next closest.

I worked in a school years later. A sixth grade teacher was teaching The Grapes of Wrath, which no doubt sailed right over the kids' heads, but at least involved families and finances closer to their own lives.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A black man doing country? Do people not know about Darius Rucker? He's been doing country for years and he's had multiple #1 songs on country charts.

Charley Pride was a huge success on the country charts in the 1960s.

Country's always been a bit confused about what it is. Those old country compilations they sold on TV regularly contained the Everly Brothers. Bird Dog could be confused for a country song, Devoted to You, possibly. A more popular inclusion, though, was Cathy's Clown, which does not sound traditionally country in the least. Harper Valley PTA, another standard, had a more rock beat but is sung by a very southern-sounding singer.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

We need to keep him alive. He and Kelly Loeffler are poised to spend bajillions of dollars to rip each other up in a Senate race. Not that I like Collins, but Loeffler is at least an equal shithead and has gotten an endorsement from Nikki Haley. Loeffler might spend this much if she ran unopposed, but let's make sure they keep spending these sums.

Also, Collins' folks are doing this over Loeffler owning a private jet.

https://twitter.com/AirLoefflair/status/1236729687730249728

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shitass gets used quite a bit in the south. It can be used in different forms, such as shitassed and shitassery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My mother, whose home did not have an indoor toilet until she was 10, tells me that newspaper pages were preferred and corncobs were awful.