Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
You should report Babylon for posting such horrible things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Sorta on topic, or on derail or whatever. Is there a childraising thread or something on SA?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Can I read up on this fascinating Notch character anywhere/could someone do a writeup? I played a bit of minecraft right before or after it was released but I don't know anything about the drama around it and it seems like a good story

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Scathach posted:

I like that the person writing this obviously isn't an EMT at all. EMTs don't give meds, and they certainly don't decide what hospital is "good" to take a person to. Also she's a spiteful bitch, raising wages is good for everyone.

Its not a big deal but EMT-Basics do give some very few meds. And EMT SOMETIMES (but not in this case) refers to paramedics or EMT-Ps

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah neither in France not Germany exists anything like the pledge. We learned the lyrics to the national anthem but we never actually sang it at school.

It really is pretty creepy.

Germany used to have something like that. Cant remember why they stopped doing it. It was long before I was born. Sometime in the forties?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Whats the deal with nerds being butthurt about Aeris not being named Aerith?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

I just ask since in my iOS game and I think in the version i downloaded for my PS4 she's called Aeris by default and I honestly think it sounds better than Aerith (although the earth thing makes sense I suppose) I just did some googling about a puzzle and happened upon forum posts and wiki articles that would not loving let the subject lie.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Jesus. My wife grew up in bumfuck, nowhere in eastern Washington state and all her family are rabid Trump fans and I see several posts about 'Killary' and Benghazi a day. To make it worse they're all evangelical christians so that's fun too. Its really weird to be a somewhat liberal Scandinavian up there. On the one hand I'm a veteran and must be worshipped, on the other Im clearly part of the liberalc conspiracy against Trump and Christians. It just weirds me out. My wife bought me a Bernie shirt as a joke AFTER the primaries(I'm not a citizen, can't vote, wasn't involved in politics at all) and when I posted it on facebook her mother messaged her and disinvited us from visiting for a family function that weekend.

Two more weeks until my wife and me relocate to Europe. Going to school in Spokane was such bad choice, and in retrospect I shouldn't have let her talk me into going there instead of the east coast just because it was closer to home. At least she's as eager as me to get out now.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

So today and yesterday all my conservative evangelical american facebook friends, of which I have more than most Europeans have been sharing this. No googling brings up anything and the guy's ministry has no links to it. Is it a 'thing' at all or made up of whole cloth?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Magnusth posted:

Damnit, you made me google "how common is step-sibling incest" and i'm sure i'm on some watchlists now.

Well?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

So the last six months my wife and I have been working as paramedic/nurse respectively in refugee camps in Greece, started as volunteers last summer and then accepted jobs with the organization we were with. We work mainly in camps with Kurdish and Syrian populations but we've worked in a Yazidi camp too. Anyway, a friend of mine from back home in America where my wife is from posted this link on my facebook wall where a lot of refugees who're my friends can see it which is what incensed me the most.
It was posted as a 'how can you even be over there helping these animals kinda thing'

http://www.bobbyanding.com/2015/10/a-female-doctor-working-in-germany.html

I responded with a long rant deconstructing it, we talked it out in the comments and she apologized and then I apologized and it kinda worked out. Except now her husband is messaging me raging about me yelling at his wife and being childish for throwing her under the bus in public. It's the typical evangelical housewife and overly possessive husband who never liked us being friends in the first place (she and my wife met through a volunteer org in the states) but Jesus Christ I'm glad I'm out of America.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

Afaik he's dropped off the radar here in Spokane. Hopefully he fell off Mt. Spokane and his body is lost in a mudslide somewhere.

Holy poo poo there's more spokane goons. I'm so sorry you have to live here.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Oh my God I hate that thing so much. My wife does it and for a super smart, highly educated person its so weird that that one thing stuck. She totally believes her eyes change between different greens and even blue depending on her mood. It drives me nuts.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

M'whomst

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

I've enjoyed quite a few of their Real Life or Real Experiences or whatever those articles are called.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Scathach posted:

That deer is very worried about that boy's views.

Not a boy. A man. A boomer-man

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

It's funny cause I used to walk around the Wal-Mart in my wife's super rural east WA hometown jabbering in Norwegian on the phone and no one ever reacted except to ask once or twice very pleasantly what language that was. I wonder if there's something special about me...

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

Oysen velgen vargen

How dare you. My mother was a saint!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Norway has fairly strict laws too. Technically. But goddamn. When I left the service I tried out for the active reserves in the capital. Good extra money and I spent maybe 40-60 days a year doing stuff related to my college major.

They were very 'high speed low drag' or at least really wanted to be (this was around Utøya) so while there may have been rules and regs I think most of the 500 or so rapid response reservists had assault rifles fully activated in their homes. This was known and approved from high ups even if not technically allowed.
Hell I lived In a student village of a couple thousand people with only a flimsy door between all my gear including the rifle and anyone who walked by and still had to bring it home despite my protests. Like I was told that it was an acceptable risk. My last few years they started enforcing rules about keeping vital parts centrally -most of the time.

Edit: I didn't even have a car. I took the subway to the base!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

The problem with getting a kitten still in the box is you have to get the mother cat with it.

Well. Maybe you do. Maybe you don't.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

I have a family, but a lot of times I think the only reason I'm still alive is because it would absolutely break my mom if I killed myself. I've seen too much poo poo and it haunts me too much. I can't remember the last time I was happy for more than a minute.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

Super long Northern Irish history stuff, but the tl;dr version is that the 12th of July is when there's marches all over the country (the most violent ones usually happening in Belfast) celebrating when Protestant England effectively conquered Catholic Ireland in 1690. It's calmed down to a point lately but it's basically a big annual riot with routes designed to rile up the opposing side. The politicians representing the pro-UK / anti-Ireland side of things in Northern Ireland right now is super regressive - they're the ones keeping gay marriage and abortion etc illegal here.

Long version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelfth

I spend a lot of time in NI these days (best country ever) for work purposes. Last year I listened to my boss and basically hunkered down in the hotel filled with security while drunk chavs in Union Jack capes took over the streets, kinda freaked out by the stories he told of what it used to be like.
This year I went up to Derry and got massively hammered from the 11th to the 13th and forgot I had decided to go out in Belfast to document the weirdness.

Not sure where I'm going with this except holy poo poo there's still some pretty deep scars in Northern Ireland but it's the coolest country I've ever lived in.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

As someone who's lived here all my life, you've clearly not spent enough time here if you rate it so highly!

I mean, its got so, so, so, so many flaws but I honest to God really love it. I haven't spent more than maybe 8 months total there through the last 3 years so obviously I miss a lot of the underlying poo poo that would be obvious to you, but now that my contract at my job is about to end I have been keeping a half eye out for jobs in NI just because I honestly like it there.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Its the transition from 'this is a (disturbing as poo poo) fantasy I have about some hypothetical girl' to 'this is what I would do to you' that would freak me out the most

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Remake nip/tuck and make this the premise

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Stop enjoying fresh air, exercise and experiences outside your apartment unless you're prepared to always live like that. Why yes I work in IT and am an overweight goony goon, why do you ask?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

do not attempt to besmirch the honor of the Scottish Surgeon

If you go into combat remember to always wear silk stockings

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Hihohe posted:

yeah and youre so cool for pointing this out.
Eat poo poo dude.

Dont be a nazi

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

posted by a colleague of mine who retired from the AF

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Airforce Retirees are literally the welfare queens they hate so much

It gets better. I'm not exactly sure how it works since I was in a different, awesomer, military but he got out after 7 years with a retirement as if he'd been in for 20 because he was in a motorcycle accident and would need a year of rehab. When we worked together he was perfectly healthy and employed as my EMT B partner at AMR.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

It's super weird and unhealthy to eat egg wrappers you're supposed to pop em open and just suck out the insides. There are over 40 known poisons that exist on an egg wrapper and 5 more that nobody knows about.

They actually discovered a sixth that nobody knows about. But they keep it hushed up

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

So Im in this facebook group for Catholics that i joined to ask some questions on behalf of a friend a whike ago and kinda forgot about. It just showed up in my feed with some serious clashes between normal people and very angry conservatives and i couldnt help myself from.commenting on one and got called a dickhead for it by someone who would rather trust Rebel News than the UN.

not sure how to share images on Imgur but we'll give it a try.
http://imgur.com/a/0hPm9Hz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Solar Tornado posted:

There are only two skin colours: white and politically correct

You mean politically correct and normal