Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Etrian Odyssey 2 LP completed less than half a year ago.

Time for the Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold LP!

Guild Name: Lumen

As nice as the "Word related to the setting of the game + random cool word" setup for guild names (I guess in this game it would be ColdSomething), I think it's kinda overdone at this point, so I'm going with Something entirely random!

And I'll edit in my character suggestions later or something.

Alright, first character suggestion:
Name: Pun Pun
Class: Beast
Portrait: The Panda

Pun Pun is a genius. Far smarter than most humans.

Unfortunately, he is still a panda. And as such is incapable of human speech. As such, people assume that when he's trying to contribute to a conversation, or warn people about something, they assume he's just doing cute things.

His anger about such things is obvious to other animals, who generally run in fear of him. But humans tend to miss it entirely.

He joined the party (... such as they are, not yet existing) because they seemed so disaster-prone that he felt he had to do something.

Party Suggestion: Beast, Ronin, Dark Hunter, Sovereign, Survivalist.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
:crossarms: I was not expecting my random guild name to be popular.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Name: Freyja
Class: Dark Hunter
Portrait: 2

Surprisingly, despite her class, she's not a sadist at all. Normally, Dark Hunters are sadists, who learn by, er, "Ancient teachings", but Freyja just kind of stumbled into it. She's a natural with a whip, and as such became a Dark Hunter. Freyja is actually a shy, polite person. She just happens to be extremely good at tying people up with a whip.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 16, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, I guess I could always try to push the Evergreen name in the next EO thread. :v:

I'm honestly still kinda confused people liked Lumen as much as they apparently did, since it was completely random on my part...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BlackPersona posted:

I usually miss the character submissions when the EO LPs go live, so I'm super excited to see my choice went through... Even if it was the only hexer :sweatdrop:

Dialogue's been fine and fun too, and I'm already eager for the next update. Probably because I haven't actually tried any of the nonstory mode classes! Eagerly await seeing just how different these classes are now, haha

Hey, man, don't knock Hexer's in this game. They're pretty great this time.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kemix posted:

Ah I love reading party banter in these LPs. :allears: also of note is that in Story Mode you get an NPC party member to play around with for about half of the dungeon trip, a beast at about level...12 or 15 if I remember correctly? There's also more spots on the various maps that trigger extra scenes and some character development scattered about the labyrinth and they give one-time refreshers as well. All in all, the Story Mode for this game is probably a good starting point for people new to the series in general, and I doubt that anyone would get too mad at a first timer (like I was) for choosing Normal difficulty first time around (100% damage given and taken, gives you a 'retry' if you get a game over once per dungeon trip/inn rest, rewinding your rear end to the step BEFORE your game over happened)...just...do yourself a favor and DON'T pick easy mode (infinite 'retries' after a game over, I assume makes damage given/taken a 150/50 spread) unless you have like a younger child playing the game (and even then there are better entry points to RPGs in general out there...though I guess still makes it a good entry point to Etrian Odyssey for them)

To be fair, getting the temp party member in story mode is less about PLOT and more about "We only gave you half your party, and only the glassy members".

All in all, EOU2 story mode is ridiculously good, and you can almost treat it like classic mode if you like, except for having Fafnir.

And not being able to have Beasts, because they demand logic. They tease you with the above mentioned temp party member, and then never let you have a beast again! :argh:

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 17, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar Homsar posted:

For the record, Fafnir is absolute garbage without Transform. His damage is mediocre at best, and while he's not fragile on the same level as Ronin and Alchemists, he's still about as fragile as Dark Hunters. Without Transform, Fafnir also has a skill tree dedicated to basically nothing (Force Mastery).

You know how much Fafnir's basic Sabre skills do at level 10? 255%. For comparison, Horse Slash reaches that exact same percent at level 5, and costs considerably less TP.

Sabre's tap weaknesses and proc the absolute monster that is Link Order. Horse Slash doesn't. :colbert:

Honestly, though, you might as well complain that Warmage is garbage without someone else causing ailments. It simply isn't designed to be that way in the first place, so who cares.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 18, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar Homsar posted:

That was mostly a response to Dr. Fetus jokingly saying

Just want to make sure no-one tries to do something stupid like an Expert runthrough without using Transform. :v:

Don't say that, someone's probably already done it in Japan.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kemix posted:

I will be fully honest, I only ever used my force boosts when I REALLY needed it and Breaks around boss fights when I needed a lot of burst damage really loving fast. Fafnir isn't that bad, specially when you bring his sabers up to around 10 or so. Also, the EXP that you get from quests? That poo poo can be TRIPLED by way of one of the grinding quests. How? Wait and see. And the XP of late/post game quests are huge to boot.

Better yet, it affects everyone, including people you don't actually have in your party.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Ah, the great Etrian Odyssey Portrait Bazaar finally opens.

I'll trade you a cookie for those portraits.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I'm so sorry Papyrus.

FOEbucks.

Also

quote:

Wakizashi is unlocked by seeling 5 Carapace Pieces

Selling.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 18, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
SQUIRRELS! :argh:

Freyja, Phoebe, Rheine

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

C-Start posted:

I didn't really notice until this LP, but the two bear Beast portraits really have that :( face going on. Look at those pitiful puppy dog eyes!

Also, I'll never get tired of watching dinosaurs fall in holes. Definitely my favorite FOE gimmick. :allears:

Voting for Zack, Jackie, and Rheine.

Puppy Bear Eyes. :colbert:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Update 4.9, AKA "Lumen and Quona's Excellent Adventure"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

theshim posted:

There's a fun thing you can do with the third tea that I'm sure you'll show off. That thing is mad busted. (It would really help these SCCs if I bought the grinding DLCs, but they just feel cheaty :v:)

I'm not so sure it's busted, as it seems like they intended for it to do exactly what it did.

Which is incredible. But still intended, so possibly not busted!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Freyja, Ursa, Sophie

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Where do LPers even pull these numbers from, anyway. I hope it's not ridiculous amounts of testing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... really.

Really?

:sigh:

Enatre, Freyja, Nadia.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SystemLogoff posted:

Maybe let the bear back in? It's cold out there.

Ursa, Milly, Rheine

Ursa can just hibernate, she'll be fine.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

theshim posted:

No
More
Games

Don't you mean
AB
ZBER
TNZRF

?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RareAcumen posted:

Freyja, Asriel, Colette

Gotta get the less active people some votes too!

edit: This is also quite a ways in but I still don't understand the skill allocation that well. So, you get three points at the beginning and then one for each level right? I don't get how you can do things like give Freyja a Whip Mastery level and then put five points into skills branching off from that.

Mastery Skills automatically give a level to any skills branching off them.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
5 Survivalists, more like 5 Beasts. Panda Gathering Army!

It's not actually that bad in later stratums, though. Income gets pretty high from it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dr. Fetus posted:

An interesting thing about the gathering skills and Natural Instinct is that they both stack with each other. So you could put some Take/Chop/Mine Grimoires and put those on your gathering team for even more items, on top of another Natural Instinct Grimoire. Just be sure to have a lot of empty inventory space when you take out your gathering party, because that will fill up fast.

I don't really know that there's much point to that to begin with, since if you combine a full gather party with gather food, your inventory tends to end up full after 1-2 spots anyway...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Illusion Step
Type: Force Boost

Massively increases the Survivalist's evasion rate, and adds an extra chaser attack to all bow attacks/skills.

The chaser is meh; the real draw to Illusion Step is the evasion increase. It allows for very easy and very reliable setup for Hazy Arrow in combination with Chain Dance or Scapegoat.

"The chaser is meh"

:stonklol:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I'd like to kindly ask Realga to show us her medical license...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Dear me, there appears to be a large black block in the Ronin sketches. I wonder why that could be.

And there is no mystery as to the nature of the Warmage's weapon!

It is clearly a sword duct taped to a staff.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know what's a dick move? The game immediately throws you into battle when you open the door.

And in every other game, just opening the door puts you in front of the boss but gives you a chance to leave. :argh:

It warns you before you can open the door anyway...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rawkking posted:

Fetus has a good point, you shouldn't count on Atlus of all groups being merciful to you.

(I'm wryly amused that I'm engaging in victim blaming here, thankfully it's just for a video game so eh.)

It's Atlus, they're built for Victim Blaming.

"Duh, you shouldn't have gone around weak to instant death!"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RareAcumen posted:

Because as Hobgoblin pointed out right above your post:

So why would you think that this one time was radically different from every other time you got close to a boss room? Any other time you'd be able to walk into the room, map it out a bit, look at the boss and moonwalk outta there and back to town if you wanted to.

Because it's Atlus.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Cookie.

And I vote we name our next party member... Flavio? Nah. That's a terrible name.

Monster.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Serious? Pfft. Serious is for losers.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's kind of funny in that the female designs (aside from Hilda) aren't all that bad until you get to the Japan area of the game.

I feel like there's a degree of self-awareness there.

*googles*

... how does that even stay on.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dr. Fetus posted:

This is the only time you can use Beasts in Story Mode, as they cannot be reclassed into.

Worst part of story mode! :argh:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cernunnos posted:

Never not poo poo on Yosuke.

Deer FSteaks?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Guild. We should name the guild Guild. Goes perfect with Knight the knight.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Reaction from a non-goon friend of mine who's been following this about the guild name:

:v:

Also my procrastination on writing update 11 has gotten to the point where I recorded update 12 a few hours ago.

PERFECT!

We must make it so!

I mean, we already hit the top with real names with FOEbucks anyway.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Cafe.

Duh.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kemix posted:

Actually, all of it's up on GameFAQs under the Ducal Restaurant FAQ, along with spoilers for all the recipes and what you need for each one...but, it's honestly pretty spoilerish. Also, we name it MOEbucks because our moest party member deserves it.

Knight?

So moe

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar Homsar posted:

:siren: >>> Defense (this is really important) <<< :siren:
Awesome, time to make Ragnar fight Flame Demon without any defe-

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Let's try something different with the votes, shall we? Four votes per person--however, each person must vote for one character from each category, along with one extra character from whatever category. (Any votes for my choice mean that I am subject to these rules when choosing, as well.) Flame Demon is a boss where your party composition is extremely important (well, moreso than usual), and I'm trying to reduce the likelihood I get something like "4 supports and Ranger." Even Ranger wouldn't help if I got stuck with something like that.

Freyja, Ursa, Sophie, Rheine

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hivac posted:

I can't remember if you're talking about 5gunners or not

5gunners, 5survivalists was probably possible, but I forget if he actually got it done, 5goddamnmedics...

• Locked thread