Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Sky hussar and Brimaz is spicy I wanna see that in action this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Is that even true? I bet demons would love a treasure cruise.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah but those sell out so fast that they often have to settle for a dig through time.

Retcon ob nixilis as a student of archaeology. Next block is him and Tammy moonsocks rebuilding the tolarian academy.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Anybody know of any good(ish) deals on khans boxes?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I assume that isn't yours? If it is, congrats, that thing will be worth a fortune with the right buyer.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It wasn't a few moments ago, but it is now. Ha.

Ha indeed. So did you pay a fortune? And I've hesitated to buy a normal one for my cube because they're $25 and I'm not sure how long it'd stay in...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
He's certainly cubeable but red creatures are stacked at that slot: Siege-gang, sarkhan, thundermaw, zealous conscripts, stormbreath, and this guy plus others I'm sure I'm forgetting. They should've made him a red three drop clearly.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah - white with a blue brim?

Hey rabidsquid or anyone else who likes Pauper, is this thing a good deck, because it kinda does everything I like in Magic and I'm considering buying it and trying to get into Pauper.

I love that serrated arrows is $6 on modo thanks to pauper.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Amusingly I had just ordered some Chinese proxies for my cube a couple days before this nonsense. The set was for more than my cube needed so I just got some legacy cards cause why not? Really hoping they actually arrive though this is my third attempt.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I just hope I can get $300 for my foil goblin guide!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Count Bleck posted:

That didn't stop them from making Delver. :haw:

Hey delver is okay in modern! I know this because I converted my grixis twin deck into grixis delver and it is Much Worse. Not bitter.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

A big flaming stink posted:

Going to regionals running Grixis Delver, how do folk feel about Engineered Explosives as sideboard tech these days?

(I'm running 3 Vampiric Links out of spite, not out of an expectation to win burn matchups)

What's your list look like? I'm also a fan of never having your delvers flip in modern.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Yeah pretty happy I got a judge one for 60 somewhat recently.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Skyl3lazer posted:

Flanking is in a weird space according to MaRo in that it is named in such a way (HORSE CARDS) that the mechanic is difficult to use in a general context. The same problem arrives with Bushido and Ninjitsu.

I know you are not maro (or?) but how is flanking specific to horses or culturally specific like those other two? Pretty general tactical and strategic concept there.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Skyl3lazer posted:

Look at all of the cards that have flanking on them. They're all cavalry/horse cards.

Ah, that seems like a really minor issue if they wanted it back. Plus it'll be entertaining to read the couple grogs freaking out about how all the originals had horses and now some of the new ones don't!!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Were his photocopies double sided?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Angry Grimace posted:

A bunch of people insisted Scry 1 lands were not playable period.

I really have no idea how good Battlelands are in a world without fetches. They seem playable but kind of bad.

Maybe checklands/buddylands/whatever in SoI then? Just to make typed duals still relevant.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And lili.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

The more discussions I see about rare redrafting/#mtgfinance/the Reserve List/reprinting Modern staples, the more I think that it would be beneficial for Cardboard: The Commodifying to have its own thread.

What would we talk about in here then?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Kylaer posted:

What about Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored? Do they hold up, or just the original of the block?

INN INN DA is still good but the pack of DA is just worse than triple INN. Avacyn Restored is one of the worst modern limited formats ever.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Oh nice Revised duals, you filthy pleb. It's only original art, English, no Revised.

I almost want to play the format just so I can play with the worst version of everything. MIR Trikes, Conspiracy StPs, 9th edition Kird Apes. All foreign. If they're going to sanction the event they can't stop me. :colbert:

How dare you mention two Terese Nielsen illustrated cards as examples of worst versions.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Wow that's the best.

E: who will be beaten 13 times

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Isamaru is still quite cubeable!

e: and meloku, but less so these days. And that pup below is cubeable as well!

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 23, 2016

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

That is bizarre they didn't just reuse that especially since the names basically suggest the same thing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

stinkles1112 posted:

So what are everybody's thoughts on Heir of Falkenrath? It seems... insane, frankly. Instant speed discard trigger, relevant typing, given the relative power level of now-cards vs 2011-cards, this feels like it could be this format's Delver. One extra mana in exchange for more synergies and guaranteed transformation is a more than fair trade off.

Also shout out to Autumnal Gloom, definitely think that guy is gonna be a standard player and the design and flavor is super sweet.

He's going into my cube and a lot of others which doesn't always translate to constructed play but is a good sign.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Entropic posted:

I want a spirit hound creature with prowess

Purely so that I can make Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai references

The mange finally got to jackal pup :(

please print a jackal pup with prowess

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Lawnie posted:

Make sure you stay until the end for the parents who think a box of every set is gonna put their kid through college

Maybe they're overly optimistic Bernie fans as well?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Balon posted:

I opened the best pool ever, including:
Promo Thing in the Ice

What up promo thing in the ice buddy. I even managed to flip it once! Rest of my pool was hot garbage though. Best play of the day: I was stuck on 2-3 lands for a while but managed to keep the game competitive with thing in the ice and ample shamble backs and all my cheap removal. Gal I'm playing sacs her whole board to westvale abbey (which killed me last game, card good) and I compelling deterrence her ormendahl back to her empty hand. That triggered the last ice counter off and then I won. She was a great sport about the utter blowout which was nice.

BJPaskoff posted:

Painlands are in the format, this is a non-starter until players can't "mana burn" themselves out of harm's way.

That's a good point I hadn't thought about. I have a mostly-nostalgia-driven-I'm-sure fondness for mana burn and would cite interesting designs like spectral searchlight but I suppose it allows for sweet cards like triskaidekaphobia to not be awful. So since it cuts both ways it's probably best to cut the arbitrary and rarely relevant rule. oh well

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mcmagic posted:

Path is also the best removal spell in Modern. Not being as good as path isn't exactly a huge knock for a standard card.

Maybe during eldrazi winter but lightning bolt was the most played non-land card in modern for a good while. Bolt for life!

Declaration in Stone is good.

Pauper chat: was looking at u delver lists and there's a divide on 0 dazes or 4 dazes it seems. Is that just because daze is stupid expensive on modo and I should be jamming 4 in my paper deck? Because I feel as if I should be jamming 4 dazes in my paper list.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Voyager I posted:

:allears:

Sometimes it's almost worth reading.

Jace needing to be taught how to throw a punch and using that new knowledge to punch a wall really is just fantastic. Thank you for braving the flavor articles.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ThePeavstenator posted:

Now imagine that they bought a Lotus model car in black so he could say he drives a Black Lotus.

This is actually great.

Anyone try thing in the ice in older formats yet?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I used to read scg for Carsten kotter articles and occasionally another article would catch my eye. But he apparently stopped writing for them so now I never visit scg. So yes cfb is better in every way.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Speaking of (paper) formats that got hot and then disappeared my friends and I finally put together some (paper) pauper decks and, yeah, this format is great. Buying a deck for $20 isn't bad either. I got u delver and they got b control and acid trip--what should my next deck be? I like tempo, combo, aggro, control, midrange in about that order. I know one of them is also planning on elves so outside of the decks we already have or will have sell me on your fav pauper deck.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Fallorn posted:

Now you can create Big Fatties where it has to cost 6+ to play and you start with 3-4 basic lands in play. Get 60+ creatures/spells that cost 6 or more in one deck and dump the massive worthless rares while pumping your format.

So edh?

e: oh poo poo is that the joke

suicidesteve posted:

RUG Tron and UB Control are both great. Just make sure you're not playing the no win conditions, kill with Pristine Talisman and Evincar's Justice build of UB. It's both worse than a build with Anglers and completely miserable.

Those both look pretty sweet. Weird seeing flame slashes and firebolts but no bolts. I assume it's mostly because the deck plays at sorcery speed and usually doesn't care about burn to the face? I just really love, love lightning bolt.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

jassi007 posted:

I know its really obscure but there has to be some place they can throw in a One-Eye planeswalker. Oor-Tael 4lyfe!

Uh Ajani already exists?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

AgentSythe posted:

god damnit

Why are we supposed to hate him? The concession thing? I like his legacy vids and he's easy on the eyes which is a rare skill for magic professionals.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

dangerburrd posted:

My girlfriend used to smoke weed with the dude who just won the pro tour holy poo poo

She's going to leave you for his superior wizard skills and dank bud.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Trilas posted:

"What? No, I was talking about celebrity deaths. Oh, I mean, it also works with the Titans, I guess."

But the Titans came as six?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
So many wrong opinions. It's clearly lightning bolt. Just look at a beta one. And then cast it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
dying forum caused me to double post

oh i guess i can provide slight content: i've posted two cubes worth of decks over in the cube thread if anyone wants to check it

• Locked thread