Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netcat
Apr 29, 2008
There's no need for a reminder text if it's a new type of mana. It's not like phyrexian mana which was either a color or 2 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm watching the lsv Sunday stream where he tries out Pauper and lol why haven't they banned cloud of fairies yet

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
It's cool that they finally decided to make planeswalkers into real superfriends, at least

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
It seems to me if you're a casual player who don't really pay attention you'd just buy a couple of boosters and get some sweet cards with a lot of cool looking abilities

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Not at common.

Yes?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Great, and here I thought I could play some magic online digital objects for a change

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Serperoth posted:

If anyone from Wizards is reading this: I'd drop money on your online product during this coming holiday season, if its reputation and your apparent attention to it weren't such as they are now.

The only reason I would be playing on modo now (if I could) is because I have a bunch of free play points for some reason and the holiday cube is starting.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Opponent had island, mana crypt, mana vault kuldotha forgemaster into blightsteel turn 3. :gonk:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Too bad you left your Smith & Wesson at home or this would be a better story.

But I am at home... I must have left it at the store.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

I'm so sorry Philshady19

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Well today I won a game vs Emrakul and lost a game with Emrakul, so all in all vintage cube is where it's at.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

What deck was Emrakul running

Mono {c}

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Mince Pieface posted:

I don't know if I buy that their programmers are actually significantly worse than average, tons of people want a job at Wizards (because they don't know what working there is really like, but still), and people take pay hits all the time to work at a place that seems cool.

Yeah, for example there are tons of incredibly talented people working in game development and the pay there is generally dogshit. I don't really think that wizards attract the same kind of talent but there are probably decent devs there as well. I'm guessing that the real problem is over a decade of accumulated technical debt and a codebase where poo poo is impossible to fix without breaking everything else.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Plainswalk is the funniest ability just because Great Wall exists

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
It was also probably just a fun project for whoever made it :shrug:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That is more a result of magic art being smushed into a little box while the majority of real estate on the card face is taken up by a frame and text that by their nature are really bland and samey. MTG cards sacrifice a lot of aesthetics to be legible. If you reversed it, and had the anime girls in a little box surrounded by a boring frame while a bigger picture of Wild Nacatl dominated a card face with less notable text and game data, then whatever anime girl would similarly look muted by comparison.

A lot of the old art looks perfectly good in the small text box though. Sometimes it seems like the artist/art director forgets that the art is supposed to be confined to a tiny box and not a large canvas or HD image.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement after the finals

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
It's obviously Mulldrifter

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Also Fallen Empires is not allowed, even though it clearly falls within the time period, because it is too easy to get ahold of Fallen Empires cards.

If I can't play pump knights in my grognard format then what's the point

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Even RoboRosewater is churning out innistrad cards

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
That card seems good actually

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

That symbol is pretty tentacley, know who else has tentacles??? :can:

:getin:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I had promised myself I wouldn't spend any more money on Magic but this set is making it soo hard to resist. I wonder if I have enough cards on MODO still to get enough tickets for a draft set..

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

It's probably objectively not amazing, but I REALLY like this card:

Who ya gonna call

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
They also probably won't reprint planeswalkers anymore due to story reasons.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Niton posted:

The Aristocrats is like four levels removed from the original deck, which kind of made sense, but even then it was a stupid gimmick name about Blaspehmous Act.

Wasn't it called Aristocrats because it ran Falkenrath Aristocraft and Cartel Aristocrat

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I guess they're playing simultaneous games now, I thought they'd only have one at a time.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I want to play with Nimble Mongoose in Pauper even though it's probably not really any good anywhere.

RUG delver is basically a pauper deck anyway, who needs goyf or FoW

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Doesn't seem to be much of interest for Pauper, which is kind of disappointing.

Night's Whisper, Elephant Guide (?!), Mongoose :3: might be interesting

I guess Elephant guide was already common in VMA

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Also Cephalid Sage was downgraded to common and I doubt it will see any play but I love that card

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Telex posted:

There is no way a Cat card that gives Birds haste is a "random" creation at all whatsoever.

I know it's fun to think these are all procedurally generated but I really, really doubt that's the case.

But it would be fun to see a card with Protection from Carl.

Why wouldn't they be. This thing creates probably several hundred cards per day and he cherry-picks the one he thinks are funniest/coolest

e: Also he links instructions to how you can setup and run the net yourself so.. why would he make up a bunch of random lovely cards?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

atrus50 posted:

all the art so far has been real good, on a whole different level than bfz

Idk the perspective is really hosed up in that picture. Either the people are huge or the houses are tiny

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
For some reason the eldrazi art in this set reminds me of the google deepmind thing that puts animal faces onto everything

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
All the magic clones mostly make me wish I was playing magic instead.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
"imprisoned in the moon"

Ok.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Wow that's awful

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

"create a token"? Is that new?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Bruse Tarl

Sounds exactly like the kind of names roborosewater comes up with.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
One of the Darksteel precons was basically an affinity deck featuring skullclamp and it was really fun but also so much more powerful than the other precons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/28/superdata-hearthstone-trumps-all-comers-in-card-market-that-will-hit-1-4-billion-in-2017/

It appears hearthstone made 400 million last year and the only thing surprising is that it appears to have only trumped mtgo by 20x.

I hope Eternal manages to be profitable, despite fighting against Hearhstone, MODO, Shadowverse etc. I've been playing it a bit lately and it's really fun, much better than Hearthstone imo and puts MODO to shame (though what doesn't).

• Locked thread