Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ramos posted:

Digging through that forum is hell and they'd do well to have a central download page.

Cockatrice can be downloaded from here and is a rules free client that lets you play against other people by to a global server. The main downside is, yeah, you have to manually track life, know rules interactions, etc.

[url=http://xmage.de/]Xmage[/ur] is here, runs in Java, and does have rules checking, so it's pretty much as close as you'll get to MTGO except better. It's also a got a client to global server set up. It's also free and typically what everyone uses in the goon tournaments around here.

XMage is not better.
The rules are fairly comprehensive, but the priority system it uses is a shitheap. The fact that the interface has a "rollback" option that is rarely disabled shows how easy it is to gently caress up, just byt the client freezing and taking one too many clicks and WHOOPS YOU SKIPPED YOUR WHOLE TURN BYE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Chamale posted:

and his opponent assembles a loving Mindslaver + Yomiji, Who Bars the Way combo. This is the best

I loving love that combo. It's in my Captain Sisay deck.

Whats really annoying is that I'm likely going to have to cut Yomiji, because he lets me do degenerate poo poo like that, and the deck isn't degenerate enough to hold up to hate.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I wish xmage would add the drat legendary cube :(

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If they ban anything but summer bloom or Azusa, the deck is half dead. If they ban Azusa, they deck is even more swingy.

Ban bloom, replace with explore.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Amulet bloom runs, typically, 1 SSG, and it's easy to win T2 without it, whereas if bloom was banned, you could maybe see a T3 win off SSG in that environment.

E: ban both so grishoalbrand is hosed too, job done.

Unban bloodbraid.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Elyv posted:

Banning a card under the premise of hurting bloom but not killing it is silly. It's doable, but it's silly. I think you either blow the deck out of the water(by banning literally any key card) or leave it be.

They try to avoid that except where it's literally the key card.

See: Birthing Pod (key card)
Vs the Seething Song ban (if you want to kill storm, ban storm cards)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Niton posted:

BBE is a known quantity and I don't think Wizards particularly wants it back. Not because of power level reasons (though, BBE + KCommand :stare: ), but because BBE warps the way you construct your deck in some pretty unhealthy ways.

I was adding a more ridiculous part to my post because why not :P

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I went 3-0 on xmage with this list:

Door of Destinies won me a couple games, with Panoptic Mirror imprinting Time Warp getting me most of the others.

A timely condemn on an opponent trying to get me with old Omnath got me a game that I had mirror and warp in hand for anyway.
Didn't cast Divine Reckoning, Memnarch or Mageta once, didn't draw Eesha at all, and Lorthos landed and had an opponent scoop to him.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Well done to any goon judges recognised in the new exemplar program wave.

I hope you all make good use of the foils instead of just selling them on, but it's entirely your right.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Thanks :3: was quite surprised to get one. Been a good month or so, what with this and making L2

My main issue is working out what the hell to do with 8 recognitions a wave now :psyduck:

Recognise me! :P

I also got one this wave, and have had a couple store owners tell me it's been well deserved.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So my redraft pool tonight is garbage.
Highest card is foil forest (not the good one) at 5.60 tcg mid.

Why is Kiora under 5 dollars? I know she doesn't have a deck just now, but she's a good card, and will be in standard for ages yet!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Zoness posted:

In what deck would Kiora belong as long as Jace and Nissa are around?

Don't make Kiora your Narset.

Jace is a lot better, but I'm not certain Nissa always is. I guess I might need to wait till origins rotates out.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Real sweet. Seems like it could have been a RWU card.

I dunno. Blue and green have traditionally had the "untap each turn" ability, but rarely, and generally that's been the green side of it.

It definitely feels "weird" which is what they're going for with the eldrazi.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

GeneX posted:

Weird would have been "untaps only on your opponent's untap step."

This is just good.

And super bordered would be "Untaps in the untap steps of the player to your left"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

There's an MTG selling thread on here, try in there. They do it a little less than TCG low most of the time, but that's still a ton better than buylist pricing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Well, phoned my contents insurer as I'm moving house. Asked about cover for my decks, and the guy played magic but quit standard due to the price. Phoned a support team to ensure insurance would cover me.

I'm now covered for up to £2000 out of property and 6k covered for accidental damage within my property.

Time to put my judge basics in my commander deck.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

How many people are going to miss support only working on other creatures?

I did. That cards pretty bad then.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

No that's specifically the problem in most areas that aren't major metros. I live in Minneapolis, so it would be piss-easy to become an L2; we have all sorts of high level tournaments firing around here and there's a handful of L2s around so becoming an L1 would be literally as easy as asking to be one. But for people who live in small towns and such who have to drive an hour just to go to FNM, that's not an option. Going to anything bigger might require taking time off work just to get to and back, and they can't have the event locally even if there's enough player demand because they don't have a judge. And because they don't have a judge they can't get a judge. It's a closed loop and to me it seems ridiculous in this age to require a "judge mentor" type deal when you could easily do the interview over Skype and have judge materials on an app.

Don't know about the States, but here in Scotland most mentoring is done remotely, and only the actual test itself is administered in person. That said, you still need some experience, ideally watched by the guy to test you, so it can be tough, I admit.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Ha weird, if you've been to recent regional conferences we've probably met each other. If not probably not, given I'm one of them southern types

I've not had the chance, as up until recently my job had me working most every weekend.

Next time one's coming up, I'll try and remember and post, see if we can get a goonmeet in too, grab a pint or something.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Niton posted:

No, as of October. You now get paired off and verify each other's pools, before getting your own pool back.

source

Thank you for posting this (and the other goon for asking) as I had forgotten, and I'm Reserve judge for a pptq tomorrow.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Had a 5player EDH game last night, where I was playing my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck.
At one point, a good bit into the game, I was tapped out from re-deploying with Worm Harvest after a wrath.

A player decided she was going to Bojuka Bog me, when literally half my deck was in my grave, and I had no way to get any of my shuffle effects to go off.
I start talking to the player to my left, as I'm aware he has a few things he could do to stop my plans.
We decide to let me go ahead, because it'll be funny.
I drop down Opposition, then use my Worm Harvest tokens to tap down all the Bojuka Bog players permanents, in her upkeep. Every turn. Nobody bothered attacking her (except me to trigger Sidisi)

I shouldn't have won, the player to my left should have stopped me, but he was low enough on life that I could sink mana into Dark Depths and kill him with Marit Lage before he could untap and steal it with Dragonlord Silumgar (his commander)

Opposition is nuts, also: don't stop a player from playing the game, otherwise they'll lock you out the game too :P

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've played Magic since 97, and I can assure you I regularly purchased packs when there were no cards above $20 in them.
Hell, back in Mirrodin, only Chrome Mox was above 10, and people were talking about "how expensive standard has become".

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Man, you guys get hosed by cost of internet.

I should be paying £37 p/m for internet, and I get 55mbps typically. (I pay less thanks to staff discount, but 37 would be fine anyway)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/695641459127508992

Wow, doesn't this shitlord know you're supposed to do ANYTHING to win?

The loss vs draw matters less at the pro tour. It still matters, but it's less.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Presented without comment:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I can't imagine rare redrafting in such places becomes anything but people sneaking in their own resealed packs (with bomb dollar rares of course) and replacing the packs you received at the front with them. It's win/win.

Up until recently, redrafting was the norm for my store.
Due to unknown reasons, they've said its not the norm anymore, but that if a whole pod agrees to it we can do it.

Our pods are roughly split down ability levels, and the "top" pod (which i am in) will generally choose to redraft. Product is handed out moments before the draft begins, so there's little time for replacements, and if we ever caught someone of it, they'd be out the door, and told they could come back when they'd learned.

Redrafting allows us to draft better, as there's no longer the consideration of "do i draft this $5 dud, or this sweet uncommon"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If Imperial Recruiter gets reprinted, get a playset of Aluren. It can get away with 1 or 2 duals, and run without any if it has to, and it's a combo deck that is reasonably resilient.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Any UK Goons going to the rptq in Sheffield on Sunday?

I'm not qualified, but going with the girlfriend.
I'll bring my Momir Basic stack, so we can have our own side event!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Who likes bears with upsides?

Note: the abilities are different, so you can pay XB and get him back in your hand AND return a guy.

More like "Who likes bears at mythic" jesus christ.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Well let's look at the options here:

1. Print this at mythic, because it's a recurring creature that can also block and is also a pretty powerful reanimation spell in limited.

2. Print it at rare because it "doesn't feel mythic". Judging by the community reactions to every single mythic ever, "doesn't feel mythic" applies to anything that's not a planeswalker. Limited becomes almost as unfun as playing against Pack Rat, because decks become grindy games of bringing back zombies over and over.

3. Don't print the card at all, severely limiting what R&D can push out because if a card needs to be mythic but doesn't "feel mythic" then it can't be printed.

Firstly, this card is nowhere near as bad for limited as Pack Rat.

Secondly, I'm sure there will be absolutely no way you can exile this guy rather than letting him die in combat.

Thirdly, you need the mana at the moment he dies, which means any removal could answer him if timed anyway.

Would I like to go against it in limited? No, but I also didn't like playing against Elite Scaleguard, or Rolling Thunder.

E; ^^^^^ and people were rightly upset by that too. Part of it or the growth of the game, but back in Morrison Chrome Mox topped out at $25 or so, and it was 15 more expensive than the next card. The game keeps getting more expensive, and not only are WotC not doing anything to bring it down, they're pushing it up.

I do think Comet Storm is a mythic feeling card, BTW. (it just shouldn't be one in a :10bux: pack)

mehall fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 4, 2016

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is there even a relevant modern event before the B&R now?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thing in the ice playable in legacy?
4 mana means bolt doesn't hit it, so it definitely goes in modern delver
especially with the mass-unsummon

Elusive Tormentor is too mana intensive though. Will be fun in limited.
1-mana Squire with investigate probably goes in my Pauper cube too.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

(I thought I was the only person who remembered Crush of Wurms :psyduck:)

That was the foil I opened in a pack of judgement, not cabal therapy.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I never spotted the -2 could only hit tapped artifacts. I saw it on creatures, but not artifacts.
That's awful!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

the Orb of Zot posted:

Epiphany at the Drownyard
XU
Instant (Rare)
Reveal the top X plus one cards of your library and seperate them into two piles. An opponent chooses one of those piles. Put that pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

Insert Jace flavor text here

Basically a slightly less godawful Steam Augry, but it still has the issue that your opponent gets to pick rather than you.

It's more skill-testing for you than your opponent, but still a high skill-test card.
I like this a lot more than augury, but I did think it was FoF when I saw it at first, and now I'm sad.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine if they had a set with, get this, 420 cards :D

5th Edition provides.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

You are missing the sick plays with that new red enchantment:

Sprout Swarm.

You now get 2 saprolings for every 5 you tap! That's insane!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yo the art on deathcap is disgusting, but why is that card a rare?

e;

Was talking about this with my friends hours ago:

T1 land, whatever
T2 land, vessel
T3 land, pop vessel, cast reality smasher.

I think you can probably take a turn off in standard if you're casting T3 smasher.

Depends on what you can do with your t1 play I guess.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Chamale posted:

What the gently caress, I thought I understood the new block rotation. I looked it up, you're right.

It'll be easy to understand once BfZ is the oldest block, but imagine KTK and FRF are a block, and that DTK and ORI are a block. (for rotation purposes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Not seen this posted:
There's a Judge social media Jigsaw going on, the pieces have all came from different Judge outlets (including individually some higher profile judges)
Here it is so far:

Looks like XUG or thereabouts for a clone that comes in with an additional X +1/+1 counters.
I think it might copy a graveyard card, a la mimeoplasm. The minioplasm.

E: l 2 link images gud

mehall fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 23, 2016

• Locked thread