Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ok, if that's real it's totally sweet and on the level with double faced cards in terms of "weird poo poo you'd never expect them to do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I'm going to be judging at Pitts. Who else is going and what are you running?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

En Fuego posted:

So, figured out that you only get the new commander product via packs from the Legendary Cube. Sure, why not.

Drafting a black/red controlly deck, cause I don't know if that's even a valid archetype. And I draft this.

I will let you figure out what's wrong with it.

I'm tired from standing all day, but I don't see it?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

her -X is pretty bad in the legendary cube

haha derp

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ulamog/angel from Induce Despair :cthulhu:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

That Soldier deck was sweet. From memory:
4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Captain of the Watch
4 Thalia
4 Field Marshal
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Suppression Field
4 Chrome Mox
9 Plains
2 Karakas
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Wasteland
I don't remember what else, maybe Aether Vials or Swords? SB had some Phyrexian Revoker, Rest in Peace I think. Don't remember what else but SB was 4/4/4/3.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure there are no legal moves you can make which are considered cheating, although legal moves can occasionally stray into unsportsmanlike conduct or stalling (e.g. activating Sensei's Divining Top 5 times a turn).

There's actually at least a fair degree of disagreement on the proper pronunciation of the Shakespearean character's name. It's an archaic variant on Theobald, which itself is somewhat archaic.

Cheating is when a player 1) commits an infraction 2) intentionally 3) for advantage. That's what it takes. If that infraction is slow play, then the infraction isn't USC - Cheating, it's USC - Stalling, but both are a DQ.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mehall posted:

Well done to any goon judges recognised in the new exemplar program wave.

I hope you all make good use of the foils instead of just selling them on, but it's entirely your right.

I got recognized :D
I also used one of my recognitions on a judge who I think is one of the most undervalued in my region. Wave 4 though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Fabiano.

He is a huge backseat judge and every event I've ever judged with him in it has involved at least one instance of his "help" on a call that took place near his table. I believe the foil story 100%.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lancelot posted:

Is it? It seems really average to me. How good is Exploration on turn 4?

Well, it's also a 4/4 body, and if you're treating it as Exploration it "draws" you a card every turn. Add to that lands with ETB effects and the fact that if the land you bounce comes in untapped it only costs 1 to activate, and you have a pretty good card. Not sure if RG landfall is really a good enough deck that this card will be a Standard powerhouse, but in that deck it is very good.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I think that 90+% of the time, when a spell with a single target is countered on resolution but you really wanted it to resolve, the thing you missed out on doing is some form of drawing a card. In that case it's kind of a feature, not a bug-- strategically removing your own dudes to deny your opponent value. Like Remanding your own Cryptic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

loss.dec

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Something I like about the lore: all of the Eldrazi ruin and annihilate the land in incredibly alien ways, but different lineages do it differently. Ulamog turns stuff into gray dust. Kozilek melts and distorts it like flame applied to a photograph. I thought it was very evocative.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I'm angry that Wizards is adding a mechanic that requires me to play multiplayer games by forcing me to cast two whole spells a turn.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

according to someone every set ever printed has been the worst set ever, the thing killing magic, and the mark of magic's decline and Maro's ultimate triumph. this has been going on forever and will continue to do so.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I think too powerful is kind of an oversimplification. I mean, there was no 1-mana burn spell that hit the dome in standard with Thoughtseize, was there? You can't tell me Shock was too powerful but Thoughtseize was ok. They just emphasize different things at different times.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

Shock was in standard, you remembered wrong.

Misremembered, I thought it was in M13 not M14. My bad!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They should be able to make a living wage at that job that they are very good at.

heavy stuff for the MTG Megathread

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

this is a pretty huge spoiler, though, i mean it's not like a bunch of random cards, it's the entire run of the incredibly hyped expeditions (and don't you think they'd have gotten serious mileage out of the Wasteland reveal?), the new mechanic, marquee mythic, plus a bunch of other mythics including both walkers.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Damage doesn't destroy creatures, state based actions destroy creatures.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

Card flickers should be heckled relentlessly. They should be ridiculed like all those folks who pin their playmats, smell really bad, have nsfw playmats/sleeves, and think top shouldn't be banned.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Yeah I'd like to see that evidence because from what I've heard BFZ is the best selling set of all time above the #2, KTK

in terms of data many regions have a serious judge shortage because so many events are happening

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

I wonder why there are judge shortages. :iiam:

Couldn't tell you. Well, I'm off to cash the $60 CAD check I got after driving out to Quebec City round trip, putting myself up in a hotel and putting in three ten hour shifts.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there is no such thing as a plea of innocence before the DCI. a plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. guilty.
-inquisitor bergeot

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lunsku posted:

The L3 maintaining magicjudges.org (a third party judge site I understand) has suspended it in protest:
http://apps.magicjudges.org/

Yeah, as has been said this is a huge deal. This is where judges apply to be staffed to events, up to and including GPs. This is, in fact, the only place where we can do that, aside from a personal conversation with the TO. Not to mention reviews, reports, etc. Also, L2 maintenance forms are due and a lot of judges have been dragging their feet on them, and this site collates them. I am lucky I got mine in on time.
Without Judge Apps, there's no way to staff any event. If this isn't back up in a matter of days events are going to start getting cancelled.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

FWIW Helene Bergeot has posted in an ongoing Facebook thread on this, saying "I'm hearing you" (which is probably all she's allowed to say anyways).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the truly egregious part is that one of the judges suspended, upon seeing the leak in a Facebook group, immediately contacted Wizards to report it and try to help them find the source. No good deed, and so on.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Pat Chapin: With respect Maro, perhaps this is a man that you don't fully understand, either. A long time ago, I was on Reddit. We were trying to build hype for a new set by slowly revealing cards. But our cards were being leaked by a judge. So, we went looking for the leaks. One day, I saw a child tweeting a picture of Kozilek, the Great Distortion. The leaker had been posting them on Twitter.

Mark Rosewater: So why leak them?

Pat Chapin: Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I will say that the gulf between L1 and L2 comp is HUGE; a big part of the reason I pushed for L2 was so that I could afford to go to more events, farther away. At Quebec City as I mentioned I got $60 CAD and three boxes for three days of judging, that's it. I was L1. At Pittsburgh, where I was L2, I got $300 and 4 boxes for 2 days judging. I stayed with some friends so the hotel room costs were $70 to me, total, and I brought food from home to eat. Carpooled with a friend so I just paid him $30 for gas.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-concerning-recent-suspensions-2015-12-21

quote:

The people suspended were members of a private group receiving stolen confidential information about upcoming sets before this information was available in any public forum on the internet. This happened over multiple sets and well ahead of preview season for the sets in question. Viewing never-before-seen Magic cards in a private group — and not seeing these cards anywhere else on the internet — should be a red flag that the information you see is likely stolen. If you come across information like this, you should immediately report it to Wizards. Major leaks in the past have been prevented by other members of our community reporting similar situations to Wizards.

Another concern that has been raised by some individuals is that they did not participate in the group during the latest leak. The issue with the passive participants is not a one-time affair; this information was shared within the group for multiple expansions.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Where's this from? I want to see the comments.

Charles Featherer wrote it, I think, but I've seen a lot of judges posting it around.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

upheaval is a card that you don't just fire off when you hit 6, usually, you save it to cast it for the right moment, but then you win like 95+% of games where it resolves

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Niton posted:

Happy Holidays from The Good Gamery!

[x]

:chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

You forgot crackling doom.

Edit: Jori En really makes me want to splash red in Merfolk, as bad as that is.

Like it's a horrible idea but I really want to try that horrible idea. You know, because casting spells in Merfolk isn't a thing after so long and Aether Vial isn't casting.

Seems like a decent commander for EDH though if you aren't trying to be the douchebag playing Niv Mizzet.

Also did that dudebro in Immolating Glare just toast Kozilek?

I think it's just a giant Kozilek spawn.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

it's unacceptably acceptable

also, there is no way a card that lets you draw a card if you're hellbent for 4 mana is good enough for affinity; even if you have the mana to activate it that's your whole turn, and you can't afford to be not attacking with manlands

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i like support being keyworded because it means things can mechanically care about it

rare green creature, "whenever you support one or more creatures, draw a card"
uncommon green creature "whenever you support, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature"
uncommon white creature, "if you would support X, instead support X+1" (or however they'd template that)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

any card that could be the title of a symphonic metal song is Good

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i don't think that eater of the dead spike is real, it's too precise
*soviet spy writes down "641" with golf pencil then opens codebook to "e"*
"Da... da, is good. I am ready."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the only way that plot is even remotely ok is if ulamog shows up on ravnica or something six blocks from now and Jace is like HOW and ugin shows up and says what the gently caress did I tell you dumbass, were you even listening? did you think it was as simple as 'use fire' jesus gently caress are you retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

im gaye posted:

The only thing worse than mtg fiction is the stuff Metzen poops out.

CORRUPTION

• Locked thread