Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Errant Gin Monks posted:

To be fair I work for a major car company that sells billions a year and we can't figure out how to fund IT either.

Fixing software issues quickly is a problem that literally every software company struggles with because just having people add quick fixes or patches to code whenever they're needed without any planning or testing is a really, really, really bad idea. And that's true for companies that are actually *good* at making software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I see they've decided to go the "all our planeswalker deck PWs are going to be garbage" route

GoutPatrol posted:

Other things it could be:
Sac at end of turn.
Put a -1/-1 counter on it.
Returns to your hand at end of combat.

Putting a -1/-1 counter on something you Exert would be pretty similar to the LotR TCG exert mechanic. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you.

Willeh posted:

Can't wait to confuse +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in limited :toot:

jesus, give them *some* credit

Siivola posted:

I think Maro's gone on record saying that they only use one or the other within a block because of that.

He has.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Boxman posted:

I mean, that was the stated goal from the beginning.

I think "fun", "flavorful", "not pushed for tournament play" and "expensive to cast and splashy" all that close to one another is as close as a WotC employee will ever get to saying "trash for people who post on internet forums about magic the gathering"

fair enough. I guess I was hoping for something closer to "good, but not standard playable" rather than "total jank" though

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

If they do it that way, they are accidentally going to make one of the walkers playable and it won't end up in the hands of their target customer. About any time they pack value into these starter sets stores and spikes will simply crack them for value.

It never seemed like the starter product was scarce enough to prevent non-spikes from buying them just because they had chase cards. Thragtusk's price was kept in check for a long time thanks to its availability in a tournament precon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't this actually a relevant upside that lets you put it on an opponent's creature? Maybe they just wanted to give players that option.

Nah it doesn't work that way. It gives the ability to the creature, so if you put this on an opponent's creature and then the opponent's creature hits you, they draw the card. If it said "whenever enchanted creature deals damage to an opponent, draw a card," then you'd draw the card.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Eikre posted:

It would be if it weren't for the other real functional change that nobody's pointed out, which is that Keen Sense had a triggered ability, whereas Sixth Sense conveys a triggered ability upon enchanted creature.

:colbert:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PJOmega posted:

Are FNM sanctioned drafts supposed to provide land?

yeah but lol if you don't bring your own pre-sleeved Unhinged 2 full-art lands

*puts lands into $1500 Louis Vuitton messenger back used only for carrying magic cards, walks into oncoming traffic*

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

I ended up playing in a Standard event a couple weeks ago and realized I'd forgot to bring my stack of all the tokens for my GW deck that makes like 6 different types of tokens and throws lots of counters on them. I felt like the worst person. After round 1 I ended up tearing up a score sheet to make improvised tokens I could actually write the names of things on.

I just realized Masterpieces are basically the replacement for From The Vault. Are they still doing FTVs? It feels like they fight for the same space.

I hope not. Masterpieces is a much better way to do that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ShaneB posted:

Can anyone who was playing at the time explain to me why Coldsnap exists? It seems so bizzare to release a tiny set that was tied into Ice Age from 11 years prior.

Basically they needed something to fill that dead time of year that used to happen between sets when blocks were 3 sets and core sets weren't released every year. So they created a "lost" set to act as a standalone. Nowadays they fill those gaps with sets like Modern/Eternal Masters/Conspiracy, and products like Commander/Planechsae/Archenemy.

e:fb

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Ha, those are neat. Not my jam, but I think it's cool that they went really "out there" with the designs. Better than if they'd been totally bland/safe.

Also re: Readability, who cares? They've done full art promos for cards with rules text

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Elyv posted:

to the first, I think that's the thread consensus. To the second, Wizards has stopped with full art promos and in my mind that is the correct decision because not everyone knows everything about every card, even very experienced players. For example, is Cryptic's fourth mode "Tap all creatures target player controls", "Tap all creatures target opponent controls", or "Tap all creatures your opponent's control"? Let's read the card to find out

Fair enough, I get what you're saying. But even for these, the hard parts to read are the titles more than the rules text. It seems like the big problem with these being hard to read is limited, and those situations will be pretty rare. Agree that they could have been a big easier to read, though. Maybe it's not as bad in-person, but I suspect the foil process will make things harder, not easier.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ha, that's pretty cool.

Mind Twist isn't amazingly good anymore, but it is iconic and a good include.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jabor posted:

But then you make it cost one more mana, and it's suddenly unplayable even in modern.

Yeah because forcing 2 cards of random discard for 3 mana is playable but 1 for 3 isn't

En Fuego posted:

Mind Twist brings up really poo poo memories of Dark Ritual.

Also, Mind Twist is good in cube. Like REALLY good.

It's a good card, Brent.

Yeah T1 Swamp -> Ritual x2 -> Twist for 4 wins a lot of games

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Angry Grimace posted:

You will ruin your opponents day with Mind Twist at prerelease.

oh yeah and it'll be rad as gently caress to watch him mutter about how bad the new invocations look as he scoops

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hellsau posted:

It's a card that costs 12 and instantly wins you the game, but if you play against a streamer while a WotC employee is watching you'll get banned.

That's the weird part, Igor Kieryluk isn't a bad artist. He's done some great stuff, including some of the most iconic art in modern Magic:

but he's also done this poo poo which is iconic for the opposite reason:

so I dunno if it's intentional art direction or the artist just being sloppy.

Those aren't terrible, they just aren't great.

It could just be that he's really strong at character art and not great at battle scenes/depicting action. That's not uncommon. Doing good battle scenes, especially readable ones in that small an area, is really hard.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

I can certainly stop if it makes you uncomfortable, but it's actually okay to enjoy things.

If the TG subforum has taught me anything over the last decade, it's that this is false

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I thought hybrid was basically evergreen. It's not really a mechanic.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

They can even be fetched. Good cards.

These are really loving good

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

whydirt posted:

Now I want to make dual proxies all using Bob Ross paintings as the art.

I'd legit run Bob Ross basics

have to see about making a set now... swamps gonna be hard to find I suspect.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

There's probably a casual R/B madness deck that wants to run 1-2 of these, but it seems a bit narrow otherwise. Feels like the mana cost on the discard ability got bumped up by 1 or 2 as a buffer against being overpowered. Interesting design otherwise though.

If burn were decent, you could run this as the top of the curve in a RDW deck, since you're usually going down to 1-2 cards by T4 anyways.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

For it to come down swinging turn 4 with no mulligans or discards, you have to play 9 cards on the play in 3 turns, and 10 on the draw at least.

4 of those are lands obviously, but that still means you have to cast 5 cards on the play, 6 on the draw.

You don't have to play them per se; you could discard them to something like Nahiri's Wrath on T3.

e: NOTE: I am aware that so far, this deck is shaping up to be rear end

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

T1 Bomat Courier, T2 Flameblade Adept, T3 Cultivator's Caravan, T4 Hazoret the Pervert, sac Courier, swing for 13, T5–??? uh, topdeck... Stuff?

well from there every topdeck is at worst a shock to the opp's head, but since you're running 4x Fiery Temper, those can turn into 5 to the dome

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JerryLee posted:

I think a distinction ought to be drawn between being unintuitive, which includes plenty of things that are otherwise fine for magic (going all the way back to the "I put an unholy strength and a holy strength on my air elemental at the same time!!" example from the Alpha rulebook), and being actually difficult for a person of reasonable cognitive and language-using capabilities to understand once the loophole or edge case is described to them, which covers... very few things in Magic, actually?

Of course, opinions may differ with respect to whether the janky Beck//Call combos were actually good for Magic. I happen to think they were fine. They enabled some cool janky decks that weren't actually a threat to the metagame.

On the other hand with 17,000+ cards there are so many goddamn "loopholes" and "edge cases" that if you can cut down on them without really impacting the game (e.g. only hurting some janky decks that didn't have much impact on the metagame), you should.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

Do you really think WotC will reprint Sphinx's Revelation? Have they even printed a scaling card draw spell since RTR?

Yes, but not in this set--it would have been an Invocation. I suspect it'll be in the Hour of Devastation invocations, 10% chance to show up in that set.

e: X Draw spells aren't particularly strong outside of revelation. Mind Spring wasn't exactly a powerhouse and it got reprinted multiple times. Drawing 3 cards for 5 mana at sorcery speed don't break the game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

The all-caps STAPpa on Italian cards will never stop looking like an Alpha-era printing error to me.

It's a funny byproduct of the language and its slang--the 's' is used like a prefix on words to denote an opposite--so instead of saying "che fortuna!" to say "what (good) luck!", you could add the 's' and say "che sfortuna!" which means "what (bad/poo poo) luck!"

It gets hilarious when you consider that "figa" is northen Italian slang for "pussy," and that instead of saying "che sfortuna" to mean bad luck, they say "che sfiga" instead

SoftNum posted:

Why can't/don't they use the tap symbol in italian?

They do, but "tap" isn't a word in Italian and STAPpare refers to untapping.

e: so they make up the word--TAPpare (infinitive form)--then also use the common reversal suffix to invent the opposite--STAPpare (to untap). In this case, the card says "UNTAP target creature," which wouldn't use the symbol

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 4, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

dragon enthusiast posted:

Is using all caps for invented words a thing in Italian?

Not really. It's done in this case to make it clear that it's a game-specific term. "Stappare" is already a verb in Italian and generally means unblocking/uncorking

e: By extension "tappare" means to block/cork something, but the word as used doesn't make sense for Magic. But the desire to keep similar terms means having to jump through some odd hoops during the localization process to keep some word similar to "tap"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then I've gotta hold on to hope...!

Nah man, don't let only seeing like 30 cards in a set stop you from getting all mad about it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

I am not spending money on the forums. You can feel free to quote me if ever WOTC decides to make another silly decision and ban it.

what

Yo mcmagic you want a new football av?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ultima66 posted:

By the way this works with no mana cost cards (Living End, Restore Balance) and lets you cast them immediately as soon as the enchantment hits the table.

Also it lets you cast 1 free spell on your turn and 1 free instant on your opponent's turn.

Yeah that second part I think makes this a pretty neat card.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Soul-Scar mage is really loving good

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

Is this your first main phase or the mysterious pre-combat step that you can only get to by saying the correct lingo.

wait, are you serious?

e: It's the first main phase. Says it right there on the card.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Count Bleck posted:

Hey it's the Nile River.

Hey it's Naturalize with Upside.

Naturalize hits enchantments, bro

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

This seems really, really solid.

Yeah, this is a fine card

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Good card, though it means we'll only see Sphinx's revelation as an Invocation if we see it.

mcmagic posted:

It's fine the way Ruinous Path is fine but it's not good and you can't really play with more than 1 of in standard.

*shrug* sure. It's not powerful enough to be a 4-of in the current standard, but I didn't say it was. It's a decent, well-designed card that has a little more utility than Ruinous Path because it doubles as graveyard hate. There's a wide gulf between "not good" and "great" and this falls somewhere in there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

The bottom line is that vehicles are unfortunately mostly poo as a concept.

Yeah I mean vehicles ruin a ton of stuff. I think the concept is OK (not great), they just pushed it too hard in a format with poor instant-speed removal.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

I don't have the correct password for the shared account or I would just post it.

SCG articles are absolute poo poo. I only ever read it when me and friends use up the free premium from IQ's. Far too often the requested content isn't worth the copy and paste for whoever wants it.

To tell you the truth, most mtg articles are incredibly bad these days. Pros don't want to give up their edge and instead post the bare minimum to get paid or keep their contract. The only people who want to tell you everything they know are medium players at best.

This has been true for a while and it's sad because there are many skills that high-level magic players have that require practice and training and can't just be imparted in an article such that top players should really worry less about "giving away their secrets." Mediocre players are going to suddenly be able to read the opponent or play well under pressure just because you wrote about it in an article and your deck tech is going to be public as soon as the event is over.

Also "knowing the rules" is a key skill that many, many players just do not have because they never actually read them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

huh

That's real interesting.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

Why does a 5/5 beater need death touch? What is this losing in combat to?

it's there for flavor cause he's a snake god

e: Also because if you give him Trample you can assign 1 damage to the blocker

e2: Ah, poo poo just saw the English version and that's a no-go. Boooo

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 11, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

Actually I think the relevant lesson for this card is Tibalt

Man Tibalt is so bad. In the Planeswalker decks I made and balanced against each other with my friends, Tibalt is the only deck where you don't really care if you draw your PW and in fact usually would rather have something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Angry Grimace posted:

One of the biggest problems with evaluating a card like Nissa is that there's a very heavy tendency to evaluate the card on generic terms that appear in a lot of SCG articles/CFB articles that may or may not apply to the card in particular. Like, saying "well she doesn't protect herself" isn't as valid if you cast something for 3 mana and it goes on to win the game for you because its both topdecking and deploying threats for free. People really, really love taking very firm opinions on these kind of things even though they shouldn't be applied in a vacuum to cards that have yet to see any play. It's the same way "dies to Doom Blade" is basically dead horse trope of MTG fora despite the fact that it can be more or less valid depending on the card (e.g. its a less valid criticism of a card like Tarmogoyf than it is of, say, Shivan Dragon)

I love spoiler season card judgments. The less we know about the new set, the better. Nothing is a better reminder that not only are 99.9% of Magic players are garbage at evaluating cards for constructed, they're willing to do so firmly before they even know what the format will look like.

e: Part of it is definitely that no one's really keeping score, so there's no consequence to being terribly wrong in your judgments. But the whole thing always reminds me of the time I cracked open that brand new issue of InQuest for the Ice Age preview and read their article ranking Necropotence as the Worst Card in the Set.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 11, 2017

• Locked thread