Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'm now imagining a police officer rolling into a game store to conduct interviews and gather evidence for a police report on fraudulent Mishra's Baubles circulating in the community and witnessing one of these beyond pathetic tirades and just turning right back out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont know why you quoted me when it seems you agree with what i said?

unrelated to mtg but a thing i've always found cool is how people default to thinking "someone quoted me" = "they wanna fight!", and then you just get someone enthusiastically agreeing with you and it short-circuits your brain. i do it, too, it's just funny.

edit: and speaking of cost-reduction mechanics, i actually loving love Improvise. it plays so well in limited with how they supported it with cheap artifacts that give just-little enough value on their own that they really need to combine with Improvise to be playable. you occasionally get big blowout turns with it, especially something like curving that 3UR guy that spits out 2 thopters into a 2nd improvise spell with the thopters in the same turn, but on the whole it just feels so nicely balanced.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 13, 2017

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
My vote is for banning Walking Ballista from draft and sealed, thanks in advance wizords

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
#MakeMidrangeGreatAgain

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'm fine with them leaving the format be (though banning a format-warping infinite combo in Standard would be completely justified obviously); what's weirder is squaring away this B&R with the last one where they erred on the much more liberal side of "banning cards just for being good".

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

I've done a handful of cockatrice drafts and here's my thoughts:

-You can play 3-4 colors pretty easily, and you'll probably want to. There's some dedicated 2-color synergy decks you can draft, but they're mostly traps. Your sick combos are just not going to be more powerful than Lingering Souls plus red removal and blue card draw. U/W flicker and R/W aggro seem like the only decent 2-color decks.

-Draft fixing other anything that isn't a bomb or a money card.

-There's a ton of removal and bounce/flicker effects. So ETB effects are really good, creatures that die to removal without getting value are mediocre, and auras are unplayable.

good, high-powered rainbow limited formats are my jam

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just keeping everything straight since the thread moves fast: if you don't have a car you're not allowed to play magic, and if you teach children you're not allowed to get hammered, thanks./

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
the list of things wrong with these cards is long, but the worst to me is the loving centered rules text

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
well this owns

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I like how the GW dual's art - especially the sky/clouds - looks like an actual painting.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
MM17 is a great draft format, and I've only just done my first one. Thinking person's format with access to great mana fixing, a fairly flat power-level across cards, powerful and synergistic commons, and no discernible hint of a real menacing aggro foil. My kind of limited format for sure.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

"auras and 4 mana do-nothing enchantments" sounds like the worst draft archetype ever

this could not be more wrong and i look forward to drafting the gently caress out of cartouche-matters decks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I actually wish Drake Haven were an uncommon that they could power down by making it 3U and/or pump out 1/1 flying thopters, just so there's a higher chance to see one in limited. Build-around enchantments are what make limited so fun.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

Hey look, a card during spoiler season

man this is going to be a fun draft environment

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

The Trial/Cartouche cycle are loving amazing for limited and exactly the sort of enchantment matters theme that would have been awesome to have in Theros, the enchantment matters set, lol.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's worded in this way so that if you have a way to put additional flood counters it does not get you 3 mana every turn.

Edit:

man this is gonna be a cool limited set. gonna draft the poo poo outta that camel

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

I do like the cycling costs so far. They're more generous than I was expecting, even on commons.

Yeah a single colored mana to cycle vs 2 generic on many of these so far is going to play really really well.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I actually like Force Spikulation a lot

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

gently caress yeah

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I'd pay an extra W to gain X life and not discard, but hey, its not like anyone expected Sphinx's Revelation to be in this Egyptian themed set :v:

Alright that didn't even occur to me until you said it and now I'm mad

Entropic posted:

Whoa, it's even one cheaper on the front end and comes with trample. I guess that's why it got bumped up to rare.

and people say WOTC doesn't print powerful instants or sorceries anymore

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I can't wait for this prerelease and then drafting the gently caress out of this set online. I love everything about the last page of spoilers.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Cool cycling payoffs for limited.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
UR spells/cycling matters is going to be the funnest deck to draft.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Whether embalm puts it over the top will in some part depend on how prevalent all of white's enchantment-based exile removal is, I'd think. Or a 4-mana clone with flashback might still just be bad even if all removal just destroys, who knows.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mythic uncommon spotted

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

I can't see this being played over Glimmer of Genius.

If there's a good control deck, there will at the very least be a split between this and Glimmer.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

DangerDongs posted:

Why would there be a split. Glimmer scries and turns on Aether Hub. The new card allows you cycle early if you are in a oh poo poo moment and already losing; you might as well pay 1 more mana for anticipate and dig.

Cycling has value outside of "oh poo poo I'm about to lose" moments and is precisely the sort of ability that can help a control deck smooth out games where it would otherwise have no early game action. 1 mana is also a lot different than 2, particularly in a control deck where you're trying to make as much room for interaction as possible in the early game. This gives you something to do on turn 1, and with enough other 1 and 2 mana interaction cards (like, say, Harnessed Lightning), the ability to cycle this + cast Harnessed Lightning on turn 3, or this + Fatal Push on turn 2 is meaningfully better than having to pick between it and another 2-mana card on turn 3. Flexible cards always look

A control deck also presumably wouldn't care that much about powering up an Aether Hub on turn 4+.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

wanna know that one's mana cost. guessing 4G?

edit: especially given its at common

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Memoricide for Artifacts:

Name an artifact card. Search target player's graveyard, hand, and library for any number of cards with that name and exile them. Then that player shuffles his or her library.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

that card is very very red

maybe red/black, but i think they said black wasn't getting any embalm creatures so i'm guessing just red

you're right and i skipped over it being a Manticore, which is historically red.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
triple khans was so god drat good

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm excited about this in limited. Doing this for just 3 dudes on turn 5 or 6 is fantastic.

this owns so much

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
This card is sick for limited:

all the multicolor uncommons are sweet.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
edit nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Molybdenum posted:

When're they going to do Norse mythology? Or was that ice age?

I don't give a crap about lore, and give slightly more of a crap about flavor generally when its really well done but othrwise don't care, but vikings would be cool af

• Locked thread