Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

Seeing a draft that's proceeding as quiet as a library is the worst thing. I've seen it before. It's maddening.

:agreed:

and also reason #53 im never going to be seriously competitive about this card game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

On a related note can the new slang for assistant manager be "rear end man"

it is in football manager

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

Knightware (their site is awful and super out of date) is the farthest LA I've been as a SoCal/OC goon. They also have like 20 (TWENTY) real life decks to loan out. No proxies, no bad substitutions. She wouldn't sell me Trinispheres last time I was there because she was pulling them to put together MUD.

I hope they've got bars on the windows or at least keep those in a safe because jesus christ

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

IDK if they keep them in a safe, but it's not a prison. It does however, seat like 45 people comfortably inside that tiny space. They usually get like 65+ though.

The lady who runs it is nice and knowledgeable AFAIK (only went once) but my buddy who went another time said the rest of her family is all like super weird awkward nerds and he felt uncomfortable there.

I'd be more worried that twenty legacy decks is just basically a cool 20 grand that somebody could throw in a backpack and run off with in a couple minutes in the middle of the night. And probably suggests that there's a hell of a lot more money lying around the store with not even bars on the windows to stop anybody from breaking in there with a rock and five seconds.

It would not be the first time

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

That's like every magic store, ever, though, which is why they get hit from time to time.

My local at least has bars and other basic security measures

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

just rust posted:

Don't think most retail stores are keen on putting metals bars over their windows. Not the most welcoming image.

They're retractable. Fold away when the place is open and occupied.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

So are these the new anime sleeves?

they are neither new nor exclusive when i was playing (and used anime sleeves of yang wen-li) i'd use these for my outer double sleeve https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Standard-Oversize-Deck-Protectors/dp/B00BFLY7XY

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mossyfisk posted:

I feel like Turbo Fog is going to be a hilariously effective budget deck this Standard.

What do the fog options look like

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I don't want 2 or 3 mana fogs when the deck attacking for 3 on t2 and 6-7 on t3 also gets to play mana leak tbh

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 6, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's "creature or artifact", the land is not a creature until after the counters are placed, it doesn't get extra

it'd be real amazing with planeswalkers if it was any permanent tho :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

What is it making it such a mess?

The mana is too good. The aggro deck that wants to play on turn 1, 2 and 3 every game also gets to play 4 color and, per LSV's experience when he was on commentary, very rarely whiffs on colors. Copycat also gets to just drop its combo into a four color shell of just whatever is the best cards.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

There has been more than a few rumors and even mentions on glassdoor that employees with MTGO access have made money on the side selling cards.

given how poorly wizards pays tech professionals for the seattle area i'd be shocked if they weren't

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Standard answers are vastly underpowered compared to yesteryear.

even hero's downfall would do work in this standard

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's the best Modern deck to play if you hate yourself and want to suffer?

Whatever takes to longest to finish matches so you never have time to unwind between rounds

one of many reasons i play tron, one way or the other it is over quickly

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

They're not doing too well at the game design part right now.

That's because good game designers are always making new and different games and don't get better by just working on the same one forever. Richard Garfield is probably still the best designer to see on a team for a set in part because he actually has designed other things and can think about things from perspectives other than just mtg

put vlaada (pbuh) in charge of a set, wotc

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

There's never a wrong thread to call out a white supremacist.

:yeah:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Whoever said that Wizards needs to hire more people is correct, I think. Get more people (with new ideas!) into design and development to decrease the turnaround time on new sets, that way Wizards can use new sets to better respond to clear issues with the game.

Specifically get enough people that they can stop separating design and development altogether. There's a reason this isn't SOP for game designers in general and it isn't because rosewater is the smartest guy ever, but because it can be directly pointed out as the cause of fuckup after fuckup and they only need that division of labor in order to reliably meet an incredibly tight release schedule on a skeleton crew

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

I think there's two pieces of logic going into it--

First, the first half of set creation is about coming up with the high-level concepts for the set and then making like a million different cards based on those concepts, and seeing which broad ideas work and which don't. Late set creation is about turning those relatively-final set ideas into a working card list. The skillsets required for those don't necessarily overlap.
Second, having an almost complete turnover in staff halfway through the set means there's fresh new eyes on it, helping ensure that it doesn't get stuck in a rut.

Complete turnover halfway through the set is so that they can get the sets out the door in time, the same reason your call of duty et.al properties have multiple teams working on games concurrently to push out one on the year every year

The skillsets overlap a bunch because the nitty gritty math and mechanics of your game are another part of game design and should be intimately tied into the themes and ideas behind your game and this is why you don't actually have anybody else working on games with the same design/development split that magic uses

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

If you activate your Mutavault in your main phase, how is that any different from saying "activate Mutavault in beginning of combat?" Absolutely nothing changes. Either way your opponent is going to be able to do whatever they wanted to and you have to act first. Why is this so hard to understand?

But what about the reverse sorceries that can only be cast during the opponent's main phase now they get to use those!!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The issue is that the current rules don't let you move to beginning of combat even if you're being explicit. See the block of legalese that started this discussion.

they only don't let you move to the beginning of combat if you're going to then go '...and i pass priority'

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

If you have nothing to do there, why do you care? What benefit is there to going there instead of doing it in the main phase?

let players go to the beginning of combat as active players but disqualify every single person who ever does it with nothing to do for slow play

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

The Theros T1 decks were probably the cheapest in the past 8 years.

Yeah, UW Heroic was a real deck people won tournaments with and it cost like 40 bucks f.ex

Rabble Red was the cost of a playset of rabblemasters and then nothing else more than a buck

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

There was also a time when those rabbles were less than a buck and I got in a week before they were good.

I just opened 3 over prerelease and release weekend and traded some drek for the 4th so I could win game day with them

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

I'd have been okay if they reprinted Avacyn herself instead of Entreat the Angels.

If they're going to print miracles then the only other options for white are terminus, which doesn't seem much if any better than entreat for limited, or completely worthless banishing stroke

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

So I have 3 Mishra's Bauble because I stupidly sold ONE of them when I was cashing out of some of my unused modern cards. For Death's Shadow Jund, is anything worth running in its place that does anything remotely similar? Or anyone have a suggestion for a replacement card?

my replacement suggestion is to sell the other three and get the new zelda

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

do storm decks that kill with brain freeze count?

same but high tide and pointing blue sun's zenith at the opponent

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

steve mendi-i cant spell his last name okay, he did it in vsl

while true he can only do it on vsl because it is untimed and he can spend 50 minutes on a match

there's a reason he isn't a pro, and it takes all of watching him resolve a single brainstorm to realize why

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really get the point of being an SCG tour grinder - I mean, Jim Davis doesn't appear to have an actual job other than playing SCG tournaments. You might as well try your hand at the real tournaments.

Not sure how successful Jim Davis would be on non-SCG tournaments where the judges might not give a complete pass on slow play

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PJOmega posted:

IIRC they literally cannot because the MODO ban list is entirely informed by Gatherer's content.

that sounds stupid enough to be true

Sickening posted:

Why isn't force spike modern legal?

just no modern printing

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I like the possibility of a decent wrath again.

i think if you look at the creatures played in standard you will suddenly be depressed by how little it kills

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

But it kills Gideon, Heart of Kiran, and Scrapheap Scrounger! :v:

don't forget toolcraft exemplar and walking ballista :pseudo:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

that's my favorite island and forest

odyssey thunderstorm plains for me as well tho

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheMaestroso posted:

I have a foil of this somewhere. It's a good'un.

Mine's the one basic in my RG Tron deck

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mehall posted:

I genuinely believe Triple KTK is the best single set draft format of all time.
Just a shame Fate made it so reliant on bombs.

:same:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
imo the most disgusting thing about that deck is that mishra's bauble is a card that does as close to nothing as any card possibly can and should be a ten cent common like bone saw

but since there aren't core sets anymore they can't just print it in one so instead it'll be a rare in a masters set b/c can't print any card with mishra's in the title on another plane!

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 8, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

80s James Hetfield posted:

more people would play legacy if they realized their standard and modern decks were legacy legal. problem solved.

one time I played "legacy" and t2 I played a deadly recluse and the guy looked at me like I just murdered his entire family

like 90% of the people i played magic with when i did loved storm more than life itself and playing magic against storm is the dullest experience in the universe and also entirely pointless if you were somehow stuck with standard or modern cards

they had a ten proxy for-fun tournament regularly which i went to before the omnitell bans with that deck and then just stopped afterwards b/c there was no way to cheaply make a ten proxy deck that had any relevance against so much storm (and i was sick of watching people who are much slower than i am at basic arithmetic slooooooooooooooooowly figure out they had already won the game)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

As has been said, at comp or higher you don't have to tell your opponent how big your Goyf is or represent it in any way. It makes the game much easier and more pleasant for everyone if you do answer these kinds of questions, but if they're being super :goonsay: about it, screw 'em. If your opponent insists on using their die, you have no responsibility to update it for them. I don't know if they can get in trouble for misrepresenting the size of your Goyf - I suspect not - but it's 100% not your responsibility. If you use your own die, I'm pretty sure you do have to keep track of it. This is why using dice for Goyf size is bad. I see it on coverage all the time and it's just a terrible idea. Just figure it out when it's relevant.

It's on coverage solely for the benefit of the viewers. Magic is a hard enough game to watch without a creature that somebody looking at stream absolutely cannot know what size it is (since they can't check the graveyards)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

Most Planeswalkers have an alternate condition where it takes over the game. It's just hard to justify playing a Planeswalker that is only ever good if you have complete control over the board.

Hard, but not impossible. Ashiok was a complete house even though there were plenty of two-drops that meant you couldn't safely play it and I expect this Nissa will work out similarly despite the heart. Big ups that while Ashiok couldn't really do much except be annoying while they had 2 power around, Nissa gets to keep providing value if their board consists of the Knight token left over after you had to answer Gideon with a kill spell

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 11, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

There was something about Kaladesh that had vibes of Mercadian Masques.

it wasn''t the art so that seems like a pretty dire insult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ShadeofBlue posted:

Personally, I'm shocked.

Actually, serious question: is there any hope of a decent, cycling based control deck? A lot of the cards seem to have potential, but I haven't played standard in a while, so my ability to evaluate stuff is not really well calibrated.

The land of two mana 4/4 fliers that dodge most removal and colorless fireball on a stick is not a land friendly to control

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 17, 2017

• Locked thread