Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
The bad thing about Wizard's current orientation IMHO is that it's harder to feel good about winning with a midrange, creature-based (preferably green) deck against a field of LD, hard control/permission, and combo. Maybe I'm just showing my age as a player who started in Tempest/Urza Standard though... RIP Jamie Wakefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Tidal Warrior would be good for messing up people's mana.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

W - Path to Exile
U - Counterspell
B - Doom Blade? Hymn?
R - Lightning Bolt
G - Elvish Mystic

(they're not giving us literal llanowar elves, even if we were back on dominaria.)

Tourach is my master and will return.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Vendetta is a great, quintessentially Black common card.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

There's a reason every new card game that comes out is exclusively Magic's first main phase and combat phase stapled together with just enough instant/sorcery-type spells to make some variety. Hearthstone included. Marketing studies have shown that focusing a card game on creatures and creature combat is the best way to get young people interested.

The best way to get hateful old men like me interested is a non-interactive resource denial strategy that is actually viable.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Turn 1 stomping ground into spellbomb / memnite / etc into kuldotha rebirth, t2 this, t3 Ajane Goldmane, swing for 9, live the dream, lose to valakut next turn

Yeah it seems like the two abilities don't synergize well. Reducing the cost of Planeswalkers wants to be early game but you want to hold it until you have a few dudes out to buff. Where's the value?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What's everyone's favorite 5 mana creature? Mine is Thrashing Wumpus. Won three FNMs in a row with that bad boy back in the day.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

Wow no mulldrifter mentions? Shameful.

Deranged hermit is also acceptable.

That was legit my second choice, and it was a hard decision. And don't forget his BFF Phyrexian Plaguelord, also 5 mana.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

:frogout:

Ensnaring Bridge has been one of my favorite cards for years, gently caress all y'all. The art for this new one is weird tho.

Yeah sorry if this 3cc artifact prevents your creatures from attacking. Must be hard to have to run answers for a specific permanent type.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else frustrated that they invented Gremlins when Atogs could have served the exact same purpose, both flavor-wise and mechanics-wise? Bring back the Atogs!!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

They also forgot to ban Probe in older formats.

Also cheap Smuggler's Copters, here I come!

Edit: I'm pretty sure banning GGT doesn't even do much to Dredge. They just play more Thugs, dredge a little less and still do way too much for so little.

Quoting for truth. How long are you going to wait to buy? I'm gonna give it 72 hours.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Someone post a good Smallpox deck or Isochron Scepter deck for Modern. Thanks in advance.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

It's dead, but Fantasy Flight Games is bringing it back as a Living Card Game.

That is great news!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
TWoo hilariousness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LCnMTcf7CU&t=136s

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Screw that! Atogs don't respect storylines or even space-time. They will go anywhere and do anything for tasty artifacts.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Urza / Masques Standard was tons of fun, looking back through rose tinted glasses. Repenish into Opalescence+Parallax Tide+Parallax Wave, wipe my board, attack me with enchantments = fun! Also Yawgmoth's Bargain decks. And Morphling was god.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I used to have an excellent LGS that would support Block Party (any block deck from any block, current banlists) and occasionally even BYOB (build your own block). Had hella fun Natural Ordering into a Thorn Elemental or casting Plow Under on via Rofellos or Priest of Titania by turn 3 most games. One other format I always wanted to play was the Invitational format where you had to bid starting cards in hand and starting life on specific pre-built decks that had won tourneys.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

Standard Gauntlet in MTGO starting 22nd!

Standard was so, so much better back then.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just ordered the Massdrop -- fingers crossed. PS I am a grownup with a good job and don't care about EV -- just excited for this set.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Do you all think stores will be giving out MM17 packs as prizes for MM17 drafts? If so, that makes understanding this limited format a very valuable thing.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Magma Jet and Thunderous Wrath at common? :getin:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

same but high tide and pointing blue sun's zenith at the opponent

Same but Necroing and Drain Lifeing/Corrupting turn after turn while neutering their hand with discard.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

Oh, geez. how did I forget about Blooming Marsh. Ancient Stirrings also seems like fire, but I gotta say I don't understand Varolz. The only guys I can Scavenge are Constrictor and Overseer?

Edit: Oh, wait. Ooooh, Constrictor/Scales raises it to one counter when you Scavenge for zero, doesn't it. That is indeed very good

With Constrictor or Scales you can scavenge for 0 but get a +1 counter...correct?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ravnica+Kamigawa standard was tons of fun. I had an great Wee Dragonaughts deck with the Lava Spike + Desperate Ritual + Izzet Guildmage combo.

Jitte was a bit broken but since it's been out of Standard it has grown on me.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The question is: what basic lands are most likely to put the opponent on tilt? I would argue a mix of white-bordered and black-bordered played in front and facing the opponent.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It would be great to have an invitational style format where you had to bid on all possible Standard environments but could then play any deck in that environment if you won the bid. Bids would be starting life and cards in hand.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Masques/Invasion had Counterspell, Undermine, Absorb, and Fact or Fiction and Wrath of God all in the same WUB control deck. Those were the days

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 25, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

it would be sweet but you have to be careful about who does the art or you'll end up with something like this

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/847153989531713537

which is better then the new chain lightning would look but still doesn't really fit imo

Those only look bad because of the font.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Flameblade Adept
R
Creature - Jackal Warrior
Menace

Whenever you cycle or discard a card, Flameblade Adept gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

So this is a T2 combo with Fluctuator and adequate cycling cards in hand/deck?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

We're definitely not getting Fluctuator.

Could speed up the Legacy Fluctuator deck by a turn though.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Archfiend of Ifnir
3BB
Creature - Demon
Flying

Whenever you cycle or discard another card, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature your opponents control.

Cycling 2 (2, Dicard this card: Draw a card.)

So does anyone think this one has some potential? Reminds me of the good old days of Phyrexian Plaguelord and Thrashing Wumpus. Big black curve-topper that wipes out your opponent's board and gets in there. I think the cycling makes it pretty likely to see some play.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Opinion: Menace would have been better named as "Dodge" and tied into quick/evasive flavored cards.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/Soul-Scar%20Mage.png

This is very close to being modern playable. My best friend is a modern burn player and he already thinks its better than nacatl strictly on being easier to play and the utility.

Lives through Pyroclasm too!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Between new Braingeyser and Miscalculation-Force Spike's baby control strategies are gonna have a real chance!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This set looks fun for limited so far. Looking forward to casting Mouth.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheMaestroso posted:

The person who gets the copy is the one who gets the "lose the game" trigger in this scenario, because the original would get exiled as part of the copy's resolution.

Delightful.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
May be a corner case but you can also get someone's fetch land with this. Say they are in the middle of an attack, they want to cast a spell in combat and crack a fetch to do so.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

It could have just said "a creature" and been a cool variant of ftk

but no, it has to be a different creature, because...

Everything is "another creature" instead of "a creature" with Wizards these days. From a design and flavor perspective I think it's the right call. Something weird about so many creatures sacrificing themselves outside of Black, and even then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'd be surprised if there aren't allied Commanders and tribes in these -- sticking with only a single creature type seems very limiting. I would love to see Giants and Kithkin back together again or Goblins and Orcs, Merfolk and Krakens etc.

• Locked thread