Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hellsau posted:

Someone should rewrite the OP because mentioning Apprentice and Duels of the Planeswalkers without mentioning XMage/Cockatrice and Magic Duels is kind of weird.

Also PTQs don't exist any more but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BJPaskoff posted:

The regional PTQs are referred to as PTQs. Also while we're at it, "PPTQ" is a dumb name and I wish they called them something, anything else.

Huh, we call them RPTQs here :shobon:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

GoutPatrol posted:

Who doesn't pre-reg for a GP if possible? The only time I didn't was when they didn't allow it and I had to do it in person the day before.

I pretty much always book the GP, hotel and travel at the same time :psyduck:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

Well done to any goon judges recognised in the new exemplar program wave.

I hope you all make good use of the foils instead of just selling them on, but it's entirely your right.

Thanks :3: was quite surprised to get one. Been a good month or so, what with this and making L2

My main issue is working out what the hell to do with 8 recognitions a wave now :psyduck:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Serperoth posted:

Besides, we just got Judge promos this year. I don't think they cycle through them that fast.

2 of the 2015 promos haven't been spoiled yet (1/8 and 2/8, 3/8 is Rishadan Port). I reckon SFM was meant to be 1/8 but they changed their mind

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Wastes also spoiled

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
That Mana Confluence art is gorgeous

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Molybdenum posted:

If my opponent has a notion thief and I activate a draw ability at the end of their turn to dredge, which replacement effect happens?

I think as the controller of the draw I would pick but wanted to confirm.

The affected player chooses which replacement effect to apply first. The affected player is you!

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2014/07/notion-thief-and-dredge/

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

NivMizzet posted:

I (stupidly) decided to read Twitch chat during the World Magic Cup, and there were a ton of people supporting pile shuffling with lovely arguments like "You should use multiple methods of shuffling anyway" and "It's pseudo-randomization but there's no such thing as complete randomization anyway".

They just couldn't get it through their heads that pile shuffling isn't random at all. I blame the fact that it has the word "shuffling" in it.

Ugh yeah, I was in Twitch chat at this time too. Depressing.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

bhsman posted:

Pretty sure he also wrote the response to the "Why the MTG community is unhelpful at best to making female players feel welcome" that was so bad it was taken down quickly and Cedic wrote an apology article to replace it.

Yup. Dude's a scumbag.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Judges don't get access to new cards any earlier than you folks do. The way we know how stuff works at launch is by reading the long-rear end document that accompanies every set.

I'm not convinced everyone who's been banned had something to do with the leaks and if that's the case I'm pretty goddamn annoyed. Either way, this is going to really suck for players in the SE :smith:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
"Individuals believed to not be directly distributing proprietary and confidential information"

I have to wonder if that's a synonym for "innocent" or whether they've actually drawn a line between those who posted the leaks and those who helped supply them

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, to repeat myself I've never heard of judges getting previews. We get our information in the same way everyone else does

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao

for those of you not in the know, this is how everything related to judging actually happens. Pro-Tour Judges apply for selection using this website.

lmao. WOTC let something this critical stay as a third party thing

lmao if it stays down for any length of time, its going to get crazy

Yeah, this is a really big deal and I'm kind of surprised that a couple judges I'm talking to think it's not.

If this gets much further than January things are going to get mighty hosed

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I will say that the gulf between L1 and L2 comp is HUGE; a big part of the reason I pushed for L2 was so that I could afford to go to more events, farther away. At Quebec City as I mentioned I got $60 CAD and three boxes for three days of judging, that's it. I was L1. At Pittsburgh, where I was L2, I got $300 and 4 boxes for 2 days judging. I stayed with some friends so the hotel room costs were $70 to me, total, and I brought food from home to eat. Carpooled with a friend so I just paid him $30 for gas.

Yeah, I'd be quite happy to see L1s and L2s treated the same at GP level. There's very little difference between an L2 and an L1 that's considered ready to work a GP (most L1s need a decent word from their RC to have a chance to get on staff)

Give L3+ more, fine - they've got more responsibilities as appeal judges.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

alansmithee posted:

Nobody here has reported that they've been banned, despite seeing the leaks and discussing them.

If I've understood the WotC position correctly, we probably would have been if we'd have been the first place to get them

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
For what it's worth, Judge Apps is back up.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Molybdenum posted:

Ban announcement speculation? I'm hoping to see sword of the meek come off for purely selfish reasons. I think the announcement will actually be "no changes"

I don't think anything's going to get banned.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

Don't know about the States, but here in Scotland most mentoring is done remotely, and only the actual test itself is administered in person. That said, you still need some experience, ideally watched by the guy to test you, so it can be tough, I admit.

Ha weird, if you've been to recent regional conferences we've probably met each other. If not probably not, given I'm one of them southern types

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

I've not had the chance, as up until recently my job had me working most every weekend.

Next time one's coming up, I'll try and remember and post, see if we can get a goonmeet in too, grab a pint or something.

Sounds good. UK conferences are pretty good :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Any chance of a slow play warning there? No?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Eternal Masters is real

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DoctorOozy posted:

I'm going to the Birmingham one. I can't afford 2 in a month with hotel costs too. It is a lot yea but they all are now. Cash prizes did start at £50 for a reasonable record in Manchester though. 5-3s did it I think.

I'm judging the Birmingham event :)

Also Bologna this weekend :dance:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I want to pair that new BB bear up with nykthos.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It's weird how this new block system speeds up story resolution. They introduce and deal with threats in the same set. Kozilek is back! And we burned him. Avacyn is bad! Sorin killed her.

Zombie Avacyn in Eldritch Moon, book it

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, we've been talking about that recently in local judge circles. Ideally, we'd like people to work to what the MTR says for consistency.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gridlocked posted:

On LR Marshall said when drafting paper you show which DFC cards you open to the table but you don't need to announce when you take them; however they need to go to the top of the pile in front of you regardless of pick order.

Well, Marshall's wrong. The requirements are as written in the MTR, quoted last page

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Okay, to be a big ol' pedant as I've seen it come up a few times since this weekend:

Slow Play = playing too slowly accidentally. First time is a warning, second+ time is a game loss.

Stalling = playing too slowly on purpose. It's a DQ.

Most judges don't give out either nearly as much as they should.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is classic USC minor and would get first a talking-to from me, then a warning, then it becomes USC major and a game loss.

Theoretically I can give the warning the second I hear anything but in practice it's better to just verbally caution the player first and explain why that's wrong, since it's more likely to lead to the outcome we want (that person changing their behavior and the environment as a whole becoming more welcoming).

Back 2-3 pages, but this isn't how the USC upgrade path works. USC Minor #1 is a warning, USC Minor #2+ are Game Losses.

USC Major is a Match Loss, with a DQ upgrade if they aren't repentant about doing whatever they did.

As a rough rule of thumb, Minor if it's lovely behaviour around someone (eg "my deck's so gay", using "gently caress" as punctuation), Major if it's lovely behaviour targeted at someone (eg "you are a <slur>"). You'll know if something's meant to be Aggressive Behaviour :v:

Also, please don't verbally caution for USC Minor. We have an upgrade path so that if they do it again, there's a consequence for not improving their behaviour.

(The stuff about Regular REL is right, though it's worth noting that stuff that would constitute USC Major at Comp is a Serious Problem in the JAR, which is a DQ every time)

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got my ticket for GPS Manchester, anyone else going? The mat looks decent, Avacyn's Judgement. Sounds like it's selling fast.

I'll be there! Was hoping to be judging but had a couple of GP opportunities recently so my RC gave the chance to someone else :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My experience with dealing with USC minor situations is that many times a quiet word produces better results than a formal warning, though I wouldn't hesitate to issue the warning if I see it happening again. The issue is stuff that is technically USC minor, but that most judges wouldn't call even though they should. The players get used to something being "ok" when it really isn't. In those cases issuing a warning can be counterproductive, as they tend to think they just caught a "hardass judge" and get resentful. My goal is to make sure that the player leaves the event knowing why what they said was wrong and won't do it again.

I have known plenty of judges who never issue minor until they're on the brink of major, but I think that the most important thing is making sure that the event continues to run smoothly and people feel safe.

You're right about Major being match instead of game loss; I haven't had to issue Major in more than a year, thankfully.

My biggest mission in judging right now is to get judges to show some guts when it comes to the subjective infractions - Slow Play and the various USCs. If more of us start giving these out, it won't just be the hardasses any more.

I still think you should be following policy when it comes to USC Minor. I get that there's benefits to the caution path, but the downside is that it doesn't really get across the severity of the infraction. I'm not a fan of the message we send if in order to even get a Game Loss a player has to be a dick 3 times running.

Remember, this is Comp REL, not Regular. Although we should educate players where we can, we have a level of expectation that they know how to play the game, including how to behave at tournaments.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I am on the floor for this GP and it is stone cheating.

Did something wrong? Check.
Knew he was doing something wrong? Check.
Did it to gain an advantage? Check.

That is the literal definition of USC - Cheating. If he was just shuffling badly without knowing it, it'd be Tournament Error - Insufficient Shuffling, which is a Warning.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mcmagic posted:

But that is a judgement call right? He didn't admit to points 2 and 3.

This is one of the most slam dunk cheating calls ever and that Facebook post admits to all 3. You're very wrong on this.

Funnily, if he eats a ban, one of my friends gets his World Magic Cup spot :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mcmagic posted:

Who's that? Saito?

Autumn Burchett; Fabrizio is English as far as his DCI registration is concerned

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Our line for cheating is 50% ie we are more certain than not. I can imagine no reality where I'm investigating this and it's falling down on the intent clause.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mcmagic posted:

It should be much higher than that.

It's been pointed out you're being a daftie but to be clear: this is a Magic the Gathering tournament and the worst consequence from a DQ is that you won't be allowed to play Magic the Gathering tournaments any more. This isn't a bloody court.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BJPaskoff posted:

You can't look up card prices in the middle of a draft, it's outside information.

It super isn't at Regular REL - see MTR 2.12

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DangerDongs posted:

Why is training packs such a huge deal?

It can cause some folks to confuse which pack they're meant to be taking next, but it's not really a big deal

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Serperoth posted:

Yeah, hoping for another pair of Exemplar nominations soon.

The current wave got announced this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Wurzag posted:

Babby's first LGS drama is currently kicking off in our city. An old store has gotten into a facebook slapfight with a new place over advertising each others events. What a time to be alive.

Yeah, that poo poo is tedious and I'm glad I'm in Lille ignoring it (also I don't play in Brum often at all)

Also here's what do with Modern: absolutely nothing it's loving great

• Locked thread