Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Mezzanon posted:

Today I turned a judg imperial recruiter and a Dack fayden into an unlimited bayou, and went undefeated in standard.

Next up: turn my remaining judge foils, promo stamped jace, Vryn prodigy, and assorted other cards into my last rishadan port and the rest of legacy goblins, and some other stuff.

port is reprintable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Angry Grimace posted:

Just like Force of Will.

there is this empty spot next summer for a reprint set.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
misdirection, swords, brainstorm, all of MM2, exploration, etc all reprinted in last year but there is no way that wotc could reprints cards and not put them in standard.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
MTGO sucks because they're in constantly in "stabilize it so we can rewrite" which doesn't work when you're constantly having to implement new things that dramatically change the game. See: devoid, {} mana, etc. If WOTC were smart, which they're not, they'd have a separate team doing ground up front + back end rewrite that doesn't have to worry about the state of current MTGO.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
magic sucked when spells were overpowered and creatures sucked. just fyi for everyone that started playing in the last decade

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I don't understand why WOTC is mad at people abusing their IP for profit.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Rumors of eternal masters this summer starting to make their way to the Internet.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Cactrot posted:

Good lord yes, I lived like a mile away from Card Exchange but would much rather truck to Ballard or the Eastside to not play in such a garbage environment.

having recently moved to the seattle area i'm not sure why you'd play anywhere except mbh/ck unless the other store is < 5 minutes from wherever you live. also late to brainstorm chat but it was really good in counter rebels.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
prophecy also gave the world the "untapped lands are bad mechanic" which is now completely irrelevant because of the loss of mana burn

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The reserved list continues to exist because there are people out there with multiple sets of high quality power as investment. They're dumb people but they do exist.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
y'all know beyond the PT level wotc could completely kill judges and not really care right? starting tomorrow all events could be judged by the TO/shop owner as judge and they would see no real difference in outcomes.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Sickening posted:

Do you really believe this?

below that it's mostly fnm/gpt/etc which beyond existing to drive product aren't really things wotc cares about. tournaments exist to sell product and nothing more. the competitive thing is just free advertising.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
expeditions as a way to reprint too-powerful cards for modern/legacy seems not bad. if there is only going to be a modern masters set every 2 years you're basically blocking a lot of cards from being reprinted. tarmo, lili, snaps, etc are too good for the current idea of what standard should be. restricting them to reprinting once every two years in a limited run set is just going to continue their price increase

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

mcmagic posted:

How is printing a more expensive version of a card a good way to reprint it?

how is increasing overall supply bad

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
current_supply = x
current_supply + limited_reprint = x + 2
current_supply + no_reprint = x

which one of those is bigger? if a full reprint _is_not_possible_ this is a good substitute.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Literally The Worst posted:

Hmm yes you're right that's why Goyfs, which have been reprinted in much larger quantities than expos, have seen such a big dip in price

Come on man

what do you think they would cost if they hadn't been reprinted? it's definitely more what they're worth now.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
"demand increased greatly while supply increased slightly. had supply not increased at all the price would totally be the same in both situations" - a smart person.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

mcmagic posted:

If it makes a 70 dollar version of a 40 dollar card that needs a reprint I'm not sure how that helps your average magic player.

the presence of the $70 version decreased demand for the $40 slightly. it is not a fix for price problems, but it does help. i'm really not sure how this is a hard concept to grasp. increasing supply, even if by a minuscule amount, is better than not increasing at all

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
"any solution that doesn't completely fix a problem isn't worth doing at all. even if it slightly lessens the pain" - an adult

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Literally The Worst posted:

Huh it looks like Wasteland hasn't dipped at all in price since the expedition came out

Weird

wait until the summer set

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
This summer set is a masters set but is not modern masters 3. That's summer 2017.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
this is gonna end up being the last modern pt too lol

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Chairman Pow! posted:

Was the power level of old colorless stuff not taken into account with the new eldrazi when designed? Because the synergies are amazing, and the combination in modern seems dominant. I know one tournament is an anecdote, I wonder how you counter this?

It's mostly wotc does not care about modern.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Sigma-X posted:

I am super surprised that the announcement rumor whose only source was a guy who called the obvious modern bans incorrectly is not coming to fruition.

Tomorrow

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
character angry her plane was used to imprison eldrazi wants to get revenge another dude with his one plane. zero chance she does the same thing to him. nope. none at all

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
FoW was in alliances a set with other good cards people care about such as:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
A Seahawks fan has dumb opinions? Well I never :monocle:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
All of magic is a money grab. That's the point of a company existing. To make money. Pointing at one random bit and smuggly claiming to be the smart person seeing that one thing is a money grab is stupid.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Hey guys. Did you know that companies exist to make profits in capitalistic economies? That's a big gently caress you isn't it? By the way running the ball when you're on the two to win the super bowl is a bad idea.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
It's me. I'm the insider D:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
most of r&d is made up of long time players. most of the big retail sites are made up of long time players. group a and group b have been friends long before the business side existed. it's totally unlikely these people share info.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
WOTC semi-officially acknowledges Vendor Gate:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-magic-update/update-2016-02-16

quote:

But what about those other rumors, the more insidious ones? Please rest assured we have a lot of people working very hard to address some of the more concerning ones. We take all of this very seriously and will address what we can. Look for a statement on this very website soon.​

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
direct acknowledgement

quote:

We're aware of the rumors that an individual is in possession of the card list for Eternal Masters. If true, this is obviously a situation we take extremely seriously. We want to ensure that the entire Magic community knows that we DO NOT provide preferential treatment to any card vendor, distributor, or retailer; nor do we disclose detailed card set information prior to preview season.

Once we finish our investigation, we will assess what, if any, steps are needed to ensure fairness for the community.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
konami was printing extras of money yugioh cards because htey're greed af so never put it past a company to just be dumb

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
oh yeah was UDE not konami.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The eldrazi are totes showing up again. Ugin was pretty straightforward in saying "don't do that." Then they did that.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
exploration, misdirection, and stifle were all in conspiracy

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
ftv: stupid idiots. 15 blank foil cards

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

BizarroAzrael posted:

I was at the Magic Madhouse event today and got talking to a guy at the retail stand about Shadows, he mentioned "Echos of Innistrad" as an equivalent to Expeditions, is this real? The Innistrad block did have a lot of powerful stuff people might liked reprinted.

Does Ugin see Eternal play? I have a copy and don't know if I need to get rid of it in the next month.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
This was nothing compared to combo winter because other formats didn't really exist then.

• Locked thread