Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey, a Fallout 4 mod thread, I missed that we had this.

I made a dumb, quick mod to make everything in Covenant unowned because I got sick of doing it manually.

I also made a mod to fix and tweak a bunch of companion poo poo that I hadn't seen fixed without the face bug.

While I was doing the latter one, I might have had a bit of a meltdown in one of the other threads trying to figure out how the loving hell stats for companions are calculated. Then I get this message.

quote:

I'm curious if I'm reading something right in FO4Edit and if you understand it the same way that I do. On each companion record I noticed the following values (these from Piper):

Calc min level: 0
Calc max level: 35
Level Mult: 0.01
Player Level Mult: Player Level Mult

So I take that as companion level should be calculated as a multiple of player level (last setting). That multiple is 0.01 (or 1%) with a range of 0 to 35. If I read that right, does that say that Piper is 1% of my level? That can't be right, can it? At level 100, she'd just finally get to level 1. It would make more sense if that was supposed to be 10% of my level, but even then at level 350, she would finally hit her max at 35.

Then there are some strange inconsistencies. Nick has a calc min level of 99 which would seem to indicate he will always be 99 regardless, unless the Cacl Max Level of 35 overrides in which case he would always be 35. Dog Calc Min Level is 100, but his mult is 0.001. CompanionCurie has a mult of 0.000, so she'd always be level 0 even though her max is 35.

What is even going on with this code???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Talkie Toaster posted:

It's not really a code thing. Those bits *were* used for holding data on NPC levels in Skyrim, and FO4Edit treats them the same. That doesn't mean they actually *are* exactly the same in FO4, and the inconsistencies suggest they're not.

Ah, so they just left the forms they weren't sure about labeled how they were? That makes a good bit more sense.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

staberind posted:

A couple of Q's : is this easily editable to give Curie a Syringer? Will Preston turn into an albino again, I'm using this at the mo : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7881/ while it makes him a little too beeeeeefffcaaake, at least he's not Preston Ghostly.

I mean, you can just hand Curie a syringer. But I'm not actually sure how well companion/ammo stuff works with syringers? I've never tried it. It should be easy to edit, but I don't know how the ammo usage would work at all. I didn't change her default companion weapon, I just made her use it.

The face bug will not happen with this. (It's what makes Preston white) Some nice person said in the comments to some other mod how to fix it, and I used their fix. Works like a charm. Also face mods generally conflict with any other mods that edit companions, so chances are that whatever's making Preston white for you isn't working while you use that mod.

EDIT: Why the hell are several settlers Turret class???

Alright, I was looking up how companion weapons work, and it looks like you'd have to make a special nonplayable companion syringer with special nonplayable companion syringe ammo. You don't have to give the companion the ammo, so... I'm not sure how the gun calls up the ammo?

Well, now I'm curious, so I'll try it out. I doubt it'll work in a game in progress, because nothing seems to work right on a game in progress, but it's worth playing with.

EDIT2: Huh. Seems like Cait has a double-barreled shotgun and a baseball bat. I only ever see her using the bat... I don't see the shotgun in her inventory. I feel like I USED to see her use a shotgun though.

EDIT3: Genuinely not sure about how the type of syringer ammo is differentiated. There is a single type of syringer ammo in here- wait, there's the ammo and then the effect is applied by an INGESTIBLE?

Why does the syringer projectile have the "Broadsider" muzzle flash?

I think you may have picked the most difficult weapon to get an NPC to use. You may as well make a gun that looks like the syringer, shoots projectiles that look like syringes, and then add the Wounding effect to it so it'll be like bleed syringes.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Talkie Toaster posted:

Every gun has an 'NPC clip' field. If an NPC spawns with that gun, they get the ammo for it. It's probably in that.

There's an LNAM - Ammunition leveled list field I'm seeing, but the syringer doesn't have one. I think it might be an exception.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

staberind posted:

Ahahhaah, wow, sorry to have given you such a thorny problem, I just thought curie/syringer was a natural. Now my hopes of playing as the ghost of Kenneth Williams and muttering "Oh MAAAtrooon" are dashed.

It's just the way that syringer ammo works, I'm afraid. I don't think they set up the syringer so a NPC can use it at all. Maybe something can be figured out once the GECK's out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gromdul posted:

If I disable Homemaker or SSEX, will the placed items disappear? The menu bloat struggle is real. And while having the options is nice and all, in reality it just makes it harder to find the obligatory Diamond City Radio that every settlement gets.

All I really want is bunk beds...

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4386/

Here's just bunk beds! Okay, there's a few more nice beds, but still.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Is there any way to get Mod Organizer 2 to work with Reshades? I hate lack of antialias, but I hate Vaseline face even more.

The latest update for Mod Organizer did actually get it to work for me in vanilla, so that was nice, anyway!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

No, the only thing Mod Organizer handles is things in the Data folder. just install them like normal (put them in the root directory) and it works fine. This is the same thing you do with F4SE as well.

Sorry, I think I am misunderstanding. Fallout 4 run through Mod Organizer 2 crashes without fail when I hit New game or Load Game with Reshade installed like normal. I'm not running F4SE at all. When I remove Reshade, it works. There's a few issues I remember from the issue tracker that recommended to remove Reshade to get it working, so I figured it was a known thing.

So was that a no, there's no way to get it to work?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 17, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Am I the only one who wants a classic Brotherhood faction mod?

I mean, I kind of dig the field uniform for the scribes but I am not a fan of the weird orange recon suit overalls thing now.

I replace every shred of orange on that faction with red. Why ORANGE, BOS?!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure they have good microphones. If the sound quality matches the ingame voice sound quality, that's like half your battle there.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nien posted:

No it's the terrible writing not microphones.

That's the other half.

If the sound quality doesn't match the game, it screams "HELLO I AM A MOD." If the writing sucks, then it doesn't matter how good it sounds. Get them both together and you're good!

(The magical Third Half is making sure your VA's voice isn't loving stupid, but I kinda figured that bit is obvious)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10792/

Eyyyy, bout time!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Borris posted:

I have no idea how in the wild frontier of modding they could have open source yet charged mods. 90% of mods are no where near that professional level.

They really loving weren't. See the below:

http://imgur.com/gallery/qFlFa

http://imgur.com/gallery/bqcla/

Magmarashi posted:

A good number of people pulled down all their 'free' mods and uploaded them to Steam Workshop with a price tag attached, it absolutely DID happen

But they weren't FORCED to, they just did because they were assholes.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Ketch posted:

Couldn't you just not wear the new ugly items?
You could grab Nifskope and open the meshes and remove the offending items from the models, and FO4Edit to delete any leveled lists that could have npcs wearing the new stuff too.

They aren't added to leveled lists, to my knowledge. They're just available to be crafted if you so desire. :shrug:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain McStabbin posted:

Are you using the weapon balance overhaul from the op? Cause I was getting absurdly huge and deadly self-destructing robots in automatron until I disabled it. I think it's cause their self-destructs use the same stats as the fatman, which were heavily buffed by the mod.

Even the vanilla ones are pretty big just because they use the fatman stats. I killed one without knowing that in a subway, and BOY that went poorly.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

I love that you can give the Securtron your dead spouses face :3:

Should add in faces for any companions you can kill or get killed for maximum House.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently there's an idle animation bug in the new DLC.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11944/

Some guy already fixed it. The part that baffles me? They hosed up 1992 files to manage this. HOW?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

It works, but not nearly as well as Mod Organizer 2.

If you can run MO2 without CTDs, yeah. I use ReShade and it crashes for me, so I've resigned myself to using NMM.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

Never had any problems with MO2, are you using Alpha 4?

also you can use any mods you like in survival beta, just ad an * in front of the esp/esm in the plugins.txt.

example:
code:
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
*Binary Speech Checks V.4.esp
*Cel Respawn Timer  48.esp
*PilesofCorpses.esp
*NoAffinityCooldown.esp
*NoNegativeAffinityNoFucks.esp
*LootableWorkbenches.esp
*Companion Infinite Ammo.esp
*Unlimited Bounties.esp
*autoweapons.esp
*IncreasedSettlerPopulation50.esp
*NoObjectLimit-DLC.esp
*NoObjectLimit.esp
*Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp
*FO4Hotkeys.esp
*Campsite.esp
*SlowTime.esp
*InteriorsEnhanced.esp
*Console_Enable.esp
Still would rather they finalized the Survival and we can go back to normal usage...

I'm not using the Survival beta, and I did try it with Alpha 4. In fact, I've been trying every version of MO since the first alpha, and it does the same thing every time. It seems to be a known issue that it doesn't play nice with Reshade, seeing as how "remove ReShade" seems to be one of the first bugfinding steps.

I mean, if it was Skyrim, I'd agree that MO was better because it actually worked for me in Skyrim. But

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

Dunno man, I dont use ReShades, most look like poo poo any way and just hurt performance in a game that already doesn't run the best. Continue using NMM, MO2 is still better. Also the stuff about survival was not directed to you, it was an aside for the thread.

I only use a bit of sharpening. It's the best way to work around shimmering grass without making the screen look like it's smeared with vaseline. Grass shimmering drives me nuts.

I would agree entirely that MO2 is still better, but drat if I'm going to go back to shimmering grass or blurry eyes for it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dootman posted:

Mod Organizer 2 works fine for me with ReShade. Are you trying to launch something other than the FO4 executable with MO?

Nope. I have to remove the Reshade files to stop it crashing, otherwise it crashes the second I try to load a game. It's done it for every version of MO.

I'd really love to be able to use it again, but I've run out my alpha testing patience. Do you do anything special to get it to run with Reshade?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

I'm at work so I don't have a link handy, but there's a file on the nexus that will automatically do this for all installed mods and excludes the main game and DLC files.

Very nice when you have 100 mods.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12047/

Here ya go.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pmchem posted:

hmm, I'll say what I will: Arthmoor seems to have no interest in getting bugs fixed upstream by Bethesda, and that is a detriment to the community and FO4 in general. Check out his thread here, which I posted in: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/3078

He absolutely incredulously states that: "As far as I can remember, there's never been a proper official channel to submit bug reports. People have used the Tech Support links in the past, but those were never intended for that purpose." Yet, staring us in the face is: https://help.bethesda.net/app/fallout_feedback which walks, talks, and even barks like a place to submit official bug reports. If he's not reporting things fixed in his unofficial patch through that (or other channels) to Bethesda, it's a real disservice to players. I don't want to be reliant on his mod to fix bugs in the game, and sometimes Bethesda may just be unaware of them.

If anyone sees things that are matters of style and not bugs, or is concerned about the way Arthmoor goes about things, I'd encourage you to actively post in his threads. If nobody challenges his view things will never change. I think in past games he's adjusted unofficial patch content based on forum feeeback.

Also, please report actual bugs you encounter through: https://help.bethesda.net/app/fallout_feedback -- even if they're already "fixed" in the unofficial patch.

http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/3750-wipz-tes5edit/page-58#entry160229

^here's where he suspects something is a bug and expresses intent to report it on a private bug forum, probably for the beta.

Tinfoil hats off.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

I jsut did some testing with MO2 and the New patch, we dont need to use the astriks, there is something int he new INI that allows the game to load mods now, so what I did was copy over the new (now official standard) ini to MO2, then put these lines in

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

and I was able to load mods just fine. This is for both esp and esm files. I am not sure what the change in the ini is at this point but without it, the old ini in MO2 will not allow mods to load.

Also UI mods still seem to cause the game to crash, dont know what they changed in the UI system yet either.

There has been an update for DEF_UI for 1.5.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gonkish posted:

Unless I'm completely nuts, it's probably new icons/UI elements that have been added that the UI mods haven't yet been able to accommodate in an update. The same thing happened with Automatron's icon for the Mechanist's hideout after you finish the final mission. If you stepped in-range of the icon appearing on the radar while using a UI mod, it would crash the game.

I know there's other UI elements added in Automatron and Survival that don't work properly with UI mods, but they don't crash it. The icons definitely crash it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bholder posted:

So a new patch came out and I'm not sure what it actually did.

It fixed the workshop parent quest. I don't know what else.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

boneration posted:

The what quest?

It's technical. Not like an actual quest, the quest that handles workshop behavior.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12217/

PS: gently caress YOU BETHESDA I SPENT LIKE HOURS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WENT WRONG AND IT'S SOMETHING YOU DID

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11944/ <-seems to have fixed this bug though

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 21, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's technical. Not like an actual quest, the quest that handles workshop behavior.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12217/

PS: gently caress YOU BETHESDA I SPENT LIKE HOURS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WENT WRONG AND IT'S SOMETHING YOU DID

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11944/ <-seems to have fixed this bug though

And the latest hotfix fixed THAT bug too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

strong bird posted:

A twine or leather wrap would work better than three aluminium straps

Or proper duct tape

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wrr posted:

It's supposed to be duct tape orz

I guess I gotta redo the model huh. Does it look too stiff? Too hard?

Edit-

Here's it in first person. I'll try making the duct tape straps wider and see if that makes it look any better. I'm using Bethesda's texture / normal / spec map for it

Also trying to figure out why direct sun-light just 100% bleaches out all detail on the weapon.

Width is the main problem, and the pieces are unnaturally evenly placed. Here's an ingame example:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/3c/Fallout4-Remington-1.jpg/600px-Fallout4-Remington-1.jpg

Also, for some reason, it looks like the tape is... inset into the handles? Something about the normals makes it look like it's dented in.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, you can just put screws through it and wrap duct tape around it to give it a better grip. (Does look MUCH more duct tapey though. I think I like the way the bottom one looks better than the top)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Sputnik posted:

At which point it tells you it needs to reload your data files, and then closes the game or crashes to desktop, that part wasn't clear.

I just used that bat to update the Mod Organizer plugin list to add the asterisks and it works fine for me. (Make sure you remove the line in it that directs the program to the game's plugin txt) But you might have to do it every time you play until they update Mod Organizer, I'm not entirely sure. I just keep a copy of it with the asterisks as backup. My load order seems to be preserved this way.

And make sure you aren't using a UI mod that hasn't been updated for 1.5 yet. DEF_UI got an update very recently. That sort of thing crashes it hard.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So I am having a CTD when loading my save. Even when disabling everything but Fallout4.esm and the two DLCs

Edit: Verified the cache and reacquired 4 files, still CTD.

Your save might be the problem. Try an older save.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, I'm gonna ask you goons for help because I have no idea what's going on here.

I've got an armor retex mod. Exactly one person using is is having this bug:

http://imgur.com/a/j3DAh

Why the living gently caress is half of it darker than the other half? They're wearing pieces from different sets and it seems to happen to all of them.

I really don't know what could even potentially be causing this.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Svanja posted:

I wish I knew what it was. But I do want to tell you your work is very good!

Would a shader or ENB cause any of that? *ooooh, sorry you already asked them that!

And, goodness, the people you have to deal with are real treats, aren't they?

Thanks!

Ugh, I know exactly the guy you mean. I had like a billion comments on mods way back in Oblivion, but until him I've never had anyone tell me to tell SOMEONE ELSE what to do with their mod.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AmishSpecialForces posted:

Has anyone found that texture replacements are causing crashes? I'm using NMM and have tried all the fixes that involve * on the .inis, along with enabling stuff through the new in-game mod manager. I've only got the following installed:

Full Dialogue Interface
More Where That Came From (adds radio tracks)
No Magic Compass
Vivid Fallout Landscape
WET (improved water graphics)

I can load my old saves but the moment I travel outdoors or load a save that starts outdoors the game crashes. The radio plays fine and everything works normally as long as I'm indoors. I tried starting a new game and it also ran fine. I just don't want to have to trash the shitton of hours in my old saves.

Echoing the sentiment that its obnoxious that Fallout 4 ran perfectly smoothly with mods, better than 3 or New Vegas for me, then this latest update broke everything. I even forced myself to limit mod consumption this time around.

The compass mod sounds like a UI mod. The patch changed UI stuff, so that could definitely be your crash there.

(For reference, the same thing happened when Automatron updated, and it related to the compass in particular. The map markers or something changed? Apparently UI changes are crazy finicky with patch/mod interaction)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 6, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AmishSpecialForces posted:

When I disable No Magic Compass and Full Dialogue Options mods Fallout CTDs without even getting to the menu screen. This is all while using NMM, if that makes any difference. Is there someway I can force Fallout/the mods themselves to generate a crash dump? I'd like to see what specifically is making GBS threads the bed and how.

Well, FDO has been updated for the patch, so it should be fine. Try just disabling the compass one?

Alternatively, there is a CHANCE that your texture mods are just overloading your computer's capability to run the game and that's what was freaking it out, I guess. I had that happen once or twice before my computer poo poo the bed. The behavior just doesn't sound like when that happened to me, though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo, this version works for me. I don't know what they did, but it works. Thank loving Christ!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

You should try my weapon balance overhaul which does exactly that!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2463/

I recommend either stepping up the difficulty slightly or reducing your damage a tad with my Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/

I didn't want to nerf anything too much (though some were handed out) so most of the shittier weapons got a bit of a buff, making things generally more competitive. Not much I can do about two shot being ridiculously overpowered alas. You can read more about it on the mod page.

speaking of which, some kind soul donated money to me for automatron, so I'm getting a start on expanding WBO for that!

surprise in the teaser

Is there some reason you don't update the companion weapons to their vanilla counterparts's settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

"well this way empowers the player while still allowing companions to participate without overshadowing the PC"

(no joke what happened throughout the entirety of automatron - gave ADA two miniguns and set her loose)

Naw, to be honest there's no reason in particular, other than that I didn't particularly care enough to dig up the relevant formIDs and change them.

seriously though if you're doing any modding, do it through FO4Edit, not the CK. It's way more user friendly, and honestly way more powerful if you're not scripting or adding quests/worldspaces.

Ah. I just happened to notice my companions collecting any dropped gun and wielding it out of nowhere and scaring the hell out of me.

Really wish they wouldn't do that in general. Sure, I use you guys as pack mules, but I expect it to be with stuff I gave you, not random weapons lying around!

• Locked thread