Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

I was looking forward to this, but I'm not quite sold after the pilot. A lot feels cribbed from BSG, much of the dialogue felt really stilted, and the story's tone feels all over the place. The zero-g sex was really goofy too.

I'll give it a shot because it looks pretty and I'm a sucker for sci-fi that takes place locally instead of fictional star systems, but the plot isn't doing it for me yet. There's no overall compelling hook so far, so it feels like it's relying entirely on its world-building.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but since it appears they're staying fairly faithful to the books (although they did shuffle a certain character to be introduced early) I can only counsel patience.

It will become a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

A few things jumped out at me pretty immediately. Jonathan Banks' bald old drunk XO was almost literally Tigh. Threat of airlocking someone to get them to cooperate, two crewmates in a secret relationship due to being officers on a ship, the ship is called a "rustbucket", and being stranded in space after watching everyone you know get nuked. I suppose the crew notes are moot points now with the ship exploding, but as a pilot it felt derivative to me.

I'm imagining you taking a hit of your inhaler after every sentence.

"Furthermore, the shade of off-white used in the fonts on the computer are TOTALLY the same color as those used for the HUDS in Battlestar!"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baloogan posted:

you seem to have forgotten the 3rd book entirely.

Yeah, it's there. But it would be a HUGE stretch to think it's even remotely like the impact religion had in BSG. As a poster mentioned above, BSG cribs directly from Exodus, so the religion angle sort of makes sense.

In the Expanse it's pretty much limited to specific viewpoint characters and at no time is there the sense of religion having any kind of pervasive hold on the thinking of the different cultures.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

am0kgonzo posted:

This was really impressive, imo.

Not sure about the dude playing Amos, though.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I expected Amos to be a bit more... substantial looking. I kind of had it my head that he could have fit right in a Viking raiding party.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baloogan posted:

___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________
___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

peeps come back from the dead and haunt the main character. its magic. its fantasy tropes on space ships. also the engines on space ships alone would prevent the books from being hard sci fi. in the book characters refer to the tech as god like. FTL communication, locking down maximum speeds. wormholes to wormhole hub stations / FTL travel, ghosts! zombies! Its a good space opera, but don't pretend its hard sci fi! Its much, much, much less hard than Firefly and firefly wasn't hard. ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

:goonsay:

Nobody came back from the dead. Miller's personality was assimilated by the proto-form, just as it had assimilated all the other Belters. It used him to communicate, because it had deviated from it's original design (which was assimilating simple life forms and adapting them) by adapting an advanced and complex life-form. There weren't "zombies" either (other than how the characters labeled them), again proto-lifeform using the drained corpses as a mobile infection vector.

I agree it's a Space Opera, but it's definitely hard than Firefly (artificial gravity? Inertialess acceleration?)

And holy poo poo all those "_" you use are annoying as gently caress.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CeeJee posted:

That zero G opening was seriously impressive. I can't remember ever seeing the kind of hair crown you see on footage from the astronauts on the ISS done well before.

Yes, out of all the CG and practical effects, that one impressed me the most. It could have been so easy to gently caress it up, but it was done so well I almost think they filmed it using several trips on the Vomit Comet (probably not).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

But is Tech Noir hard or soft sci fi?

It depends on if it's noir tech-noir, neo tech-noir, or tech neo-noir. And it also has to tediously mention "delta-v" and "flipping the ship" to decelerate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

It took them until book 5 (a really long time) to make Holden's crew compelling and fleshed-out people, but I think they did a decent job in the end. Nemesis Games is a really good book.

I was pretty irritated at the format of Nemesis Games at first. Then I realized I was getting a more in depth look at each of the crew members than I had in the previous 4 book, and I loved it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Altered Carbon anyone?

Takashi Kovacs movies/series? gently caress yes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Very much yes. But not sure how easy it would be to show the same consciousness popping up in multiple bodies. Would take some serious acting chops to do that justice.

Yeah, I was going to post more when the forums barfed on me last night.

I think it could work if the different actors had some kind of shared mannerisms and verbal tics for Takashi. It would definitely be a hugely challenging role.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CowboyKid posted:

I've read the series and have seen the first 2 episodes.

Show looks pretty cheap. I was hoping that with what FX is doing with their shows, SYFY would step up their production game at least with the camerawork and lighting. If you're not going to make all Belters tall and thin, then don't make any tall and thin.

Amos looks like Turtle from Entourage instead of the badass he should be.

I'll stick with it but not expecting much.

How did you see the first two episodes since the second is not airing until next week? I know they made the 1st available online, but I don't see any legit source for the 2nd.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Thanks. Perfect. If I remember correctly from the books, to near surface levels are at Mars standard .37 g with the Coriolis increasing and and g effect decreasing the deeper into the Rock? That explains how Miller so easily dragged mr. slumlord and chucked him into an airlock with one hand.

I imagine it was easy because they weren't on Mars.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Gohmak's saying the asteroid is spun to maintain about Martian gravity on the surface.

poo poo, I misread that. I thought Gohmak was saying it was Mars. Re-reading that, I can't even see how I came to that conclusion. Mea Culpa

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Damnit. I've been telling people the first two episodes where tonight. What the hell syfy.

Yeah, I thought they'd be same night as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

They're just showing the first episode, the show proper doesn't start until mid January.

1st episode tonight. 2nd episode is tomorrow night.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Magicians, not The Expanse.

No, the Magicians is Weds night. I just checked the channel guide. It's definitely ep. 2 tomorrow night.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THE MAGICIANS NOT THE EXPANSE.

Hahahaha. Sorry. Well, time to go to sleep. I'm that annoying drunk guy at the bar who tries to jump into a conversation with zero context.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stuart scott posted:

Just watched 2, going to watch 3 and 4, but I still really like what they've done with this all around. I'm not crazy about Alex's acting but I can deal with it.

edit: oh and I really liked the whole title sequence and I wish they hadn't abbreviated it

I'm just starting 4, but god drat people watch these when you get the chance because holy poo poo does it escalate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quinton posted:

The fix-the-antenna crisis on the shuttle didn't strike me as being necessary to add, and they really changed the situation around Holden's broadcast about the Cant by having him do it after the Donnager shows up to collect them rather than the other way 'round. Simplifies things, I suppose, to have just the one broadcast, but it does remove the original broadcast as the catalyst for everything following. Also the MCRN in the show seem needlessly vicious (thus far) -- both sides handled the arrival aboard the Donnager more civilly in the book

I don't know, it added urgency to the situation and it also established Amos's character for the audience so there was zero doubt about what he is.

Collateral posted:

Doesn't the book end with Eros going into the atmosphere of Venus?

I imagine they mean When Holden and company (+ Miller) show up on Eros right before everything goes to poo poo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, I'm not sad they're going to handle it that way. Means more episodes to cover the story. If they renew, anyway.

Well, there's a tweet that the writers have been busy working on Season 2 that was sent back in May.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/05/the-expanse-renewed-for-2nd-season.html

However, I haven't seen anything else to substantiate that (but I haven't unleashed my final form in Google Fu either)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Going to watch episode 2 again before I start complaining about the physics

I've found it to be pretty solid for the most part. The "floors" of the ships are oriented perpendicular to the engines for "gravity" under acceleration, otherwise they seem like they're always holding on to something, using mag-boots, or strapped in. And in space you're pretty much always under acceleration, there's no motive for coasting on purpose. The low-grav/Coriolis Effect with liquids being poured on Ceres has shown up a couple times and is always neat. There's a particularly cool sequence in ep4 where an action<->reaction move is done in zero-g.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BexGu posted:

Most the ships that have been showed so far have been absolutely HUGE. That ship they got into is basically the smallest you can get and still have a Epstein Drive with a normal crew of around 10.

It also has room for a company of marines, including berths and staging area. Or am I recalling incorrectly?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

GoT didn't do a 1:1 book to season adaptation past the third season.

Expanse had elements from the second book appearing in the pilot, and it's not like each of the books really has enough material for two seasons.

They're still mixing some stuff in, but no major plot beats.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pr0zac posted:

Casting not matching what's in your head happens with every show because everyone fills in the gaps not detailed in the book in their own way. Has been happening with me ever since Jurassic Park. If that's your only issue you should still give it a chance, eventually your brain will get past it if the rest of the show is good.

Yeah, the "how I saw them in head" doesn't match. But the characterization is spot on. For instance, Amos doesn't look at all like I imagined he would, but the show absolutely captures his character.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CowboyKid posted:

He looks like Turtle from Entourage. Not intimidating at all.

I'm sorry you can't separate actors from the characters they play. It must suck for a lot of TV shows and movies. Did you watch Bladerunner wondering when Chewbacca was going to show up?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Yup. That's Julie something-something Mao, idealistic rebellious rich girl who doesn't appreciate how shady her daddy acts, and who Miller (the cop) was temporarily assigned to comb the space station to find. She's the crux of how almost everything eventually ties and brings everybody together, despite nothing being her fault, she was just kinda caught up in the middle and is basically the macguffin for half the characters. I won't spoil most of those traits because that's just what you find out when nMiller goes through her emails and dating profile. Also, she likes racing.

Also she has some wicked rad spy/military impants and skills which we'll never see her use past kicking that steel door down and using a cutter on the other, but it runs in the family.

Book spoiler: Wasn't that just her sister? Or did she have them too?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

etalian posted:

The other cool physics bit was when Holden kicks off of Naomi for the hanger escape scene.

I have been very impressed with the attention paid to low/zero gravity physics. That was a straight up demonstration of Newton's Third Law.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pugnax posted:

Just saw that the whole season is $20 on amazon, so I might do that.

I got the Season Pass on iTunes, myself. I'm getting ready to ditch the cable TV service and don't want to miss out and wait for Netflix.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xsf421 posted:

Nope, it looks like it goes up the day after broadcast. I'm in a similar situation, no cable TV subscription, so I have to wait until it hits streaming sites.

Personally, that's only bothered me for live sporting events. If it's not on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime, I'll get a season pass for shows I like. For sports, if it's on a broadcast network, I can use my HD Home Run that's hooked into my HD antenna. I'll truly be happy the day ESPN does a sub model like HBO is now doing. Until then... there's ways.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, though I give this show a pass since if they can have drugs that reduce the strain g forces have on the body they probably also have drugs that better filter nitrogen in the blood.

I'll admit I didn't pay too close attention to the EVA suits, but did they have articulated joints? Because that would allow higher pressure suit environments. Gloves might be problematic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

johnsonrod posted:

It SyFy channel. We're not going to see potty mouth grandma.

We probably won't get "gently caress" and all it's variants, but we have had at least one "poo poo" on the show so far. I mean she probably won't get to paint-stripping levels of cursing, but I could see her getting more vulgar and blunt with her language as tensions rise.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jarl posted:

Hmm, I guess he kinda is then although I don't know about antisocial.
In my mind he just does what needs to be done on a drop of a hat. He has no problem with authority if it is deserved, and he recognize and respect people for their skills.

Also I suspect he isn't a man for prolonged grudges.

I don't think he has any grudges at all. He has a VERY binary value system.

You are a friend or not a friend.

You are a threat or you are not a threat.

He doesn't even seem to bothered about Holden being the one to log the mayday. He is basically saying my actions are consequences of your decision. It is what it is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Doesn't it also involve burning to a half way point, then flipping and decelerating an equal amount?

Well, yes. But the engine is still "accelerating the entire way". It's just for half the trip the acceleration vector is 180 degrees in the other direction.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I did just edit my post to be less defensive (before you posted that), but nothing about "are they mining nuclear material, base metals, or un-obtainium?" has anything to do with knowledge of space travel. There's a ton of variables in the setting that have nothing to do with physics, which is what most of my questions were about.
Why Asteroids:
* Water (yes, really)
* Rare elements like iridium, gallium, etc... even platinum and gold would be more cost effective to mine in the belt at the time this is set (assuming surface mining has exhausted mines)
* Common elements like iron, nickel, aluminum, etc. would be more cost effective outside of a gravity well. It's cheaper to ship from the belt to Mars and Earth than lifting into orbit from either.
* Food from hydroponic farms (again, water availability). Remember Mars is still being terraformed, so water and food would still need to be imported from the belt. And Earth needs to support 30 billion people. There's not enough arable surface to support that many people.
* Manufacturing - your factories are by your raw materials. A huge savings in operational costs.

The biggest thing to remember is they have no space magic like hyperspace, transporters or warp engine in the setting of this show. The hyper-efficiency of the Epstein drive is the closest to magic they have. Everything else is pretty grounded in practical, applied science. Some of it can't be realized today, more from an engineering perspective than from a "is it possible" one. Some of it is too difficult to represent without it being totally confusing to viewer or outstripping the FX budget.

When it comes to the primary conflict of the plot (as we understand it so far). Earth and Mars are in an uneasy peace/cold war. Primarily because Mars was an Earth colony that declared independence and made it stick. The resources of the Belt are owned by Earth corporations or by Mars directly, so fall under UN or Mars jurisdiction. The corporations look to maximize profits, so they ship resources out of the Belt and sell to people who will pay top dollar. Or in the case of Mars, the Belt supplies much needed resources for the terraforming projects. They also charge the workers for the resource they need to live: air, water and food. Basically, the Belters see little benefit from their labor and are fed up. Hence the OPA. Some in the OPA look to Anderson as a leader. A link back to Earth and to a lesser extent Mars to work diplomatically and economically for independence. Others follow Dawes who believe violent dissent and insurrection will make it too expensive for Earth, Mars and corps forcing capitulation. The whole situation with the three is propped up by a pile of dried out kindling.

When Holden sent out his message, he lit the match.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 28, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah water makes sense, I was just saying that asteroids have an advantage over the moon because of water. And yeah, stuff like gold was my first thought for non-nuclear non-fantasy materials you'd want from space.

Food you'd think would still be easier to grown on Earth, but yeah Earth has a huge population so I guess they can't export, and that's a good point about Mars needing import on food. But then if you're growing food for Earth, it'd be easier to do it in space stations orbiting Earth I would think, then shipping them would be closer-- Ah, but again you need water. And neither space or the moon have water. You could ship some up from Earth and re-use it, but a lot of it would go into the food. You could de-hydrate the food before you ship it down to Earth and then use Earth water to re-hydrate the food... lots of variables in the cost-benefit analysis on that versus shipping big foodstuffs all the way from the Belt :cheeky:
Water is very expensive from a fuel perspective to accelerate to escape velocity. Freely available water outside of a gravity well is an enormous economic savings. Luna Colony also needs water, and the Belt would be cheaper than from Earth. Even pre-Epstein Drive, it would be cheaper since you could accelerate enough to escape the Belt and go the rest of the way ballistically, at the cost of the trip taking much longer and only during certain windows.

Zaphod42 posted:

Right. I'm trying to also figure out exactly what all they do have though, I guess I'll just read up the wiki. (or maybe I should just start reading the book) Because the show hasn't spelled too much of that out yet; although I generally much prefer it that way.

We saw that they have those chemicals for surviving G-forces, that's one kind of magic technology. But in general its very hard sci-fi, very grounded, and I like that.

So now my question is what exactly does the Epstein drive do, so I'll just go google that.
Most of the stuff is simply a logical projection of where tech we know is possible might be X number of years in the future. The data devices are still recognizably data devices, with familiar enough interfaces. The space-tech is fairly recognizable; advanced from what we can currently do, but well within the boundaries of known science. Epstein Drive is magic from an efficiency standpoint. I can't remember if the "acceleration injections" were in the book or not, but just thinking about it, I'd guess it's less about withstanding G-forces, and more like blood cycling. They only seem to use it in crash accelerations, so I'm wild-rear end guessing that it's a low viscosity, highly oxygenated fluid with an artificial hemoglobin analog that lowers the strain on the heart, and to reduce or remove the need to use the lungs under high G acceleration. It obviously short-term and only does what's needed to keep someone alive for a short burn. I don't think it's exactly an artificial blood, just a short-term thing to reduce the strain on the bodies organs to stay oxygenated. There may be some shock or strain relief, but I think that's primarily done by the seats themselves.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is making me think that the blue-faced enemy are in fact some kind of Illuminati corporate overlords who realized that war would be the best thing for them economically or something.
I didn't address any of your speculations as right or wrong for obvious reasons. And I won't. But just watch and enjoy as it unfolds. Or read the books :dance:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xsf421 posted:

Not to mention helium 3, which we're already running out of.

But my party balloons!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tortolia posted:

I really dug how tense the buildup to the shootout was. Very well done.

Looking forward to next week for sure. Really glad they are running a two-parter to wrap the season up.

Yeah, the tension was really ratcheted up this episode. I kept wanting to yell: WHAT ARE YOU DOING? GET THE gently caress OFF THAT SHIP THERE'S SPACE BOOGERS ON IT!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khablam posted:

I think you see them (in practice) on a couple of the orbit schematics that pop up, but I may have been interpreting something not there.

If you want a book which laboriously explains orbital concepts, including Lagrange points, at the expense of compelling characters however, I'd recommend Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.
You'll want to throw it into orbit at some point near page 700, but that's another story.

If I'm recalling correctly, the Dragon's Egg books by Robert L Forward, he goes on quite a bit about them. If you want HARD science fiction, this is your dude. I'm not sure if any of his stuff is still in print, but he's definitely worth a trip to the library. He was researcher in what wikipedia says was the "leading edges of speculative physics".

He had a big brain.

Wikipedia posted:

He worked on such projects as space tethers and space fountains, solar sails (including Starwisp), antimatter propulsion, and other spacecraft propulsion technologies, and did further research on more esoteric possibilities such as time travel and negative matter. He was issued a patent for the statite, and contributed to a concept to drain the Van Allen Belts.

He also invented the Forward Mass Detector which is:

Wikipedia posted:

Essentially, two beams are crossed over and connected with an axle through their crossing point. They are held at right angles to each other by springs. They have heavy masses at the ends of the beams, and the whole assembly spun around the common axle at high speed. The angle between the beams is measured continuously, and if it varies with a period half that of the rotation period, it means that the detector is experiencing a measurable gravitational field gradient.
Apparently, it's so sensitive it can measure the spacetime curvature caused by a closed fist.

I was a big fan of his when I was HS and College. I still am.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tortolia posted:

That seems abrupt. I envision it like Hannibal S3, where they spent 7 episodes dealing with the fallout from seasons 1 and 2, then timejumped and spent the last six episodes on the Red Dragon storyline. Doesn't have to be an even split but I would think they would at least need a third of the season to wrap book 1.

And yeah, the book had a lot more body horror going on with the Julie reveal but they did nail the alien, dangerous look of the black tendrils pretty well.

I think the story arc for seasons 1 and 2 are going to be an amalgamation of Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War. To an extent season 1 already has been, so I don't see that not being the same for season 2. It's already known from casting that a major character from Caliban's War is in season 2. Avasarala has already been a major part of the TV show and she's not seen in the books until the 2nd one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShaqDiesel posted:

Reviewer at AV Club (describing hotel fight scene) states that Amos didnt know what was about to happen. :suicide:

C'mon. I think AVClub is busy smelling its own farts these days, but that's a pretty disingenuous take on this.

quote:

As Holden waits in line to talk to a desk clerk, Amos and Kenzo watch suspicious strangers filtering into the room. Kenzo knows what’s coming; Amos doesn’t, but clearly suspects something is up.

• Locked thread