Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Reviews are pouring in, game is not an unmitigated disaster, will be a blast to play.

Sorry Louisgod, I saw one there that said the game has annoyances and so it actually will be the worst game ever and worse than two Hitlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Extremely hosed up if true

Actual in-game Xenoblade Chronicles X screenshot:

Joking aside I'm pretty excited. I'm glad I didn't follow the hype train too hard so I can go in with minimal expectations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Taint Reaper, you're not even trying anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Riki is a strong character but he's kind of boring and you could have removed him from the game and nothing would have changed except you lose one of the strongest combat characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God, I would buy this goddamn game just for the freaking robot transformations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rexroom posted:

Well it's certainly not in the first hours like in Fallout 4. According to reports you'll have to sink a lot of time before the game throws you a doll to use.

And yes, I prefer the term Dolls more than Skells. Fight me.

It's true. I was playing my favorite game earlier Final Fantasy 6. I love the adventures of Tina and Mash and Lock, they're all great characters, especially the way they fight Cefca. After that I played a bit of Pocket Monsters. I started with Fushigidane and by the time he evolved into Fushigibana I was completely prepared to kick Shigeru in his Pokeballs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

They're not dolls, they're action figures.

This really should be the thread title.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

it is bizarre to change it from one engrish monstrosity to another though. just leave it at dolls if your plan is to change it to skells or whatever the gently caress

"Skells" is almost certainly a change because of the "dolls sounds girly" response people tend to have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mill Village posted:

What name changes have they done? The only one I can think of is Escha & Logy.

They changed a character named Esty Erdheart to Esty Dee beause ???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure you literally can't dress her in skimpy clothes now, isn't that what the "they're censoring my pedophilia" outcry was over?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

4 hours. Come on....naptime

You could stay up and watch the Video Game Awards!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

There is nothing anime about the British

Professor Layton disagrees.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Tbh I've only heard the opposite?

It seems to depend on "Do I care about the story" vs "do I care about the gameplay."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I noticed on the box that this game has pro controller support. Where does the map go if you use it?

Nowhere. It's a legitimately inferior control scheme and you shouldn't use it unless you keep the gamepad nearby anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Six hours into the game all the characters were fueled by a burning passion for revenge! For the next 40+ hours they did little to nothing with that except sit around and feel sad until a plot point nullified the need for revenge, at which point they promptly decided that forgiveness is the answer."

I feel like a lot of people who praise Xenoblade's story only remember like the first two areas of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And that is still way better than whatever the gently caress is happening in Xenoblade X

Yeah, but fortunately literally everything else is better so I can't really care much. Like I fully agree that Xenoblade X's plot is worse at least as far as I am but it's also like a handful of cutscenes in between hours of exploring and fighting fun monsters so it's hard for me to care.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They didn't really sit around doing nothing though, it was a constant quest to get to the mechonis to fight. There was very little "I'm sad" going on.

The Birdpeople sub-plot happened but Shulk and the others were more indifferent to it then anything and kinda needed it to continue revengequest

Once Shulk left his home town he basically just wandered around from vision to vision without much goal beyond "gotta follow a vision because it said I'd get a powerup!" You spend a long time between Colony 6 and the birdpeople town doing almost nothing at all and almost every scene Shulk has is him ruminating on his failure and feeling dejected, aside from a few moments where he yells real loud and runs at something. Shulk's revengequest is promptly derailed as soon as he finds out about Nemesis Face and the truth about the Mechon and he spends the rest of the game building up to friendship speeches and forgiveness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parasara posted:

I just met Tatsu (im still pretty early) and boy howdy I sure do hate roughly everyone significantly more now. A "He looks like food!" B GOTO A

Also I kind of wish the manual was online so I could reference it without it bouncing me to the WiiU menu

https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/m...oniclesX_EN.pdf

Your wish is granted!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Taint reaper is bad at video games if it took him 6 hours to do the tutorial lmao

It's Taint Reaper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Currently downloading all of the textures and stuff so it runs better off the CD. Is there any game mechanic that unlocks later where you should wait until then to do quests and stuff? Also, what is so important in the manual? Without playing the game I don't know what is or isn't in the tutorial that would be good to know.

Yes. If you absolutely want to see everything get to at least Chapter 6 so you get Skells.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I haven't check it but can't you just use auto-run with swim too?

Edit: Yeah, Auto-Run works for swimming too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

2) Is it a good idea to accept all the missions on the mission board even if you don't plan to do them immediately, or do non-accepted missions cycle out for new ones over time?

As long as it isn't a plot or affinity mission you might as well accept it. Worst comes to worst you can drop it, but otherwise it gives you something to do while doing other stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Why couldn't they have all the party members you recruited stay in the barracks? I'd take that over having to walk all over the place to have them in my party.

Usually the reason behind this is ~immersion~ because it gives the idea they have their own lives outside of you.

I hate it it in every single game that does it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alris posted:

How do you switch divisions? I've read the manual and I still can't figure it out.

Also, are you able to gain division points for performing actions when not joined with that division? Like, if I go a trapezing across Mira slaughtering Tyrants, am I better off switching to Avalanche for the division point bonuses or will they be acquired automatically even if I stick with the Pathfinders?

Go to the terminal in the barracks and there is a Division option that lets you switch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

What the hell does "Increases damage in ranged combos" on the Stream Edge art description even loving mean? That it deals more damage if used after a ranged art? Something to do with soul voices I can't suss out because it's a melee attack? If used while your ranged weapon is out? What the gently caress? This game is loving obtuse.

I want to like it but it's not happening yet :(

You got it in one. It increases damage when used after a range art. It's exactly what it says on the tin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enojy posted:

Also, unless I'm a doh-doh, there doesn't seem to be a way to abandon missions, and you can only carry 20 at a time, so... don't go grabbing every single mission lest you want to slog through mission after mission that you may or may not even be able to do at your level

You can drop those missions from the board.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely enjoy exploring in this more than in Fallout or Witcher in terms of just sheer actual exploration. Not only can you jump without breaking your legs from a 3 inch drop but the general art design of the environments is largely fuckin' breathtaking which is never is in Fallout and noticeably less in Witcher.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I wish you could put normal clothes on over the armor pieces. Maybe you can and I just haven't found it yet.

You can. Press X on the ground gear menu and select Fashion Gear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

It's annoying that you can't just check it easily like in xenoblade but you can look it up here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g0YR4M8RAHiRhCbAvV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/htmlview?sle=true

edit: just click on augments near the top

Also:

Requested a thread change to "Xenoblade Chronicles X: Your so-called anime"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A message keeps popping up in my game which reads "I feel like I need to quit my job to finish this game" and honestly that feels pretty accurate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of the mission layouts are kind of odd. You get missions absurdly early which are like "treck right on' in to the rear end end of of the furthest continent. No, I don't care that you don't have Skells yet or that this is a mission you can't quit out of. Go right on out there. Hug a Tyrant or ten."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So can anyone recommend a good way to build TP quickly on a Mastermind? I've decided I really like their playstyle but they gain TP absurdly slowly while also being super TP hungry. I tried swapping to Longsword for a little but I really prefer the Knife skills.

Brainjack and SS works okay but is utterly useless against Tyrants where I need an influx of TP the most.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenoblade Chronicles X is such a weird game.

Like objectively it has a lot of really annoying design flaws. Some make sense after playing the game for a bit but others are just annoying. Yet what it is good at it is so loving good at. Combat has flaws but it's almost universally a step up from Xenoblade X except that it lacks some of the more unusual fighting styles. The exploration in phenomenal. In terms of open world games I think it may be my favorite ever simple because what it does well it does so very very well.

The big thing, for me, is that I have actual reasons to explore. The game does a phenomenal job of scaling up your exploration. You start off as cowardly and frightened and small poo poo needs a concentrated effort and then you venture further and further out and every so often you're given something new which completely changes how you explore things. Getting Overclock means that some Tyrants now are defeatable when they weren't before. Getting a mecha is less of a combat upgrade and more of a movement upgrade as suddenly entire new chunks of the map are available to you. Then you hit level 30 and suddenly Skells ARE a combat upgrade and then you keep going and get flight and.. there's a sense of upgrade to exploring that I haven't seen in an open-world JRPG in ages. It frankly trumps a lot of even more action-based games especially because the sense of scale and the actual visual design is absurdly good.

With a little more polish it would be the GotY and frankly the only reason it isn't to me is a combination of the weak plot (which I could ignore if not for the flaws) and the nagging design decisions scattered throughout. It reminds me a bit of Demon's Souls in that the core of what is there is so strong that I can look beyond the obtuseness in a lot of places. It's worse that Demon's Souls in that the obtuseness gets in your way a lot more and the game is significantly more complex in a basic 'play this' way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alexa is so loving excited to pilot a giant robot that I can't dislike her. She's just so happy to be an action scientist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

The weirdest fixed soul voice I've seen so far is how Lao has one for female party members healing him. Which I'm pretty sure I've only seen triggered by me.

There are absolutely female party members with healing skills. Irina has Smooth Recovery for example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stupid sexy Lao.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I just am not able to find more research probes despite doing every mission I can and grabbing as many field actions as I can. It's weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

At a minimum, 4 probes will give you a decent ROI with that setup.

Oh, I have a setup like that already. I'm just lamenting my general inability to make it MORE effective.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Once you get skells, are you expected to spend the rest of the game using them frequently, or just get in when you need one for something tough? I find it harder to see where you are going in densely packed areas, and they just make maneuvering more clunky in general. I just got the first skell, and immediately stepped on a bunch of non-agro bugs that were about 15 levels above me and lost it. I probably could have killed 1, but I did not realize I was aggroing them all until I had a herd on me.

You can do whatever feels right. There are fights that need Skells but if you don't like them you can save them for the places where you absolutely have to have them to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

5er posted:

These characters are a retread pile of unchallenging anime tropes.

Pretty much exactly what I expected from Xenoblade TBH!

I actually enjoy the side quests. The main plot is dumb but there's some legitimately fun stuff in the side content and the main quest only comes up when I'm absolutely forced to progress.

• Locked thread