Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finally got around to playing this and while I still haven't messed with things like the Soul Voice stuff, it's a pretty solid game overall. The pacing's justkinda weird due to the exploration and sidequest stuff for the Main Story progress.

After getting the first skell it wasn't as powerful as I'd expected, which seems to be how a fair number of people felt, but as soon as I hit level 30 I jumped in to the Amadusias I'd purchased earlier and uh, yeah, I can't complain about doing 30k damage opening (back) attacks with the beam scythe. I think it took me the same amount of time to go from 29-30 and it took me to go from 30-34 because I'd see non-massive level 40-45 stuff and kill it, and apparently killing things way above your level gives an exp bonus because I'd spend maybe a minute killing some L or XL lvl 40 simian or bug and get 2x (or more) of the xp listed on screen. I think my best kill was a level 52 enemy mech on the shore of a Ganglion base in Oblivia (where I need to sneak in to for a quest now) which was not something I expected to pull off with a pair of lvl 30s and the freebie junker.

I'm already 38 due to the aforementioned high level enemy murderin and subsequent levels it gave me while exploring. Also bought a 2nd Amadusias for Lin but I need to avoid using skells unless there's story fights that require it since these are trivializing boss fights otherwise. I did the NLA defense where the Ganglion steal the alien skell and since I had my skells for it there was zero risk and I think I one-shot one of the two boss enemies thanks to the beam scythe's back attack damage.

Overall I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles felt like a better game but if they make a 3rd XC game I'd still buy it even if they keep the same character designer and his :stonk: faces. I've heard fighting on foot in the endgame can be as good as using a skell, maybe better, but I'm guessing it involves a lot of level XX augment crafting and very specific setups and given how grindy some augment materials look to be, I'm not too worried about trying it. I do wish there was just regular healing in the game because the soul voice activation stuff is way too random and it seems like after you've succeeded a few times in a row you're almost guaranteed to fail because the ring shrinks so drat fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I run the MC with a rifle/longsword setup, though I'm leveling through full metal jaegar (due to maxxinf duelist) currently for its skills while usually just bringing Lin/Elma and maybe someone like Doug or Gwin. I get how they're supposed to trigger but I don't get how you affect the chances of it happening (potential?). Sometimes they'll trigger at a decent rate while others I'll see maybe one in a 30second window while an enemy is happily eating someone's face. This game does less to explain game mechanics than EVE Online did.

World bosses seem neat but I had 2 medals, used them, and it sounds like to get more you have to do things like max out your affection with other players' characters you scout in to your team?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The game is needlessly complex and there really isn't any reason for it to be that way. They needed to trim out so much of the nonsense from this game.

Definitely. There's just layer upon layer of mechanics in this. Augments are fine on their own but combined with soul voices, arts, skills, half a dozen damage types, different enemy sizes, and so on, it's kinda crazy.

That said, I hope to God the next game they do just adds full co-op because doing world tyrant fights and actually having player controlled allies and not AI controlled copies of them was pretty awesome and I'd love to murder through a game like this with friends like in Crackdown and Saint's Row, but with anime and mechs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Taear posted:

They spend a good while presenting it to you and then they treat your choice as a big deal. Each division has a hangar with people nearby and a gigantic logo and everyone's division is really heavily mentioned and signposted loads and loads.
Yet they're totally meaningless to gameplay.

Meanwhile basically the entire stats system and all the bonuses on armour - which took me a long time to really notice - go absolutely unexplained.

In a sequel I'd be hoping for a more streamlined experience like the first game when it comes to skills. But quests like the ones in X since it actually tells you where the bloody quest givers/handins are. Just take out the ones based on collection items. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the collection system itself but making me drive around an area for 30 minutes in the dark because there's a 0.5% chance a certain item will be one of the blue dots there? gently caress that, thanks.

I started looking up collection items and seeing things like "this item only appears in caves, in early morning, in Oblivia" made me just kinda go gently caress it to all of those.

Oh and the quest to get the flight module that needs enemy drops but you don't get any markers for where said enemies are in their region. I found the Sylvania piece but just went and bought the other with tickets because hell if I know where the Oblivia enemy type was hiding.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh hell no, you can change augments all you want, but the skills/arts system in XCX is fantastic, even if it does lead to the problem where the NPCs feel pretty interchangeable. There are so many possible builds you can make for yourself, so many neat combinations to try. Much more fun than the system in the original XC, to me at least.

Just from a glance at the skills in XCX it looks entirely possible, and broken as gently caress, to make a 100% overdrive uptime build. A glance at some level 60s kinda confirmed it. Whole lot of people with maxxed out offensive stance, the crit power + TP skill, some arts that boost TP gain and/or overdrive duration, and usually one of the 8-10 hit 200% scaling moves that use dual guns or photon sabers I think, among other skills. I noticed Tornado Blade's +tp (and the samurai gunner +tp skill) both seem to give TP based on targets hit, so in multi enemy fights offensive aura -> tornado blade has giving me 1-2k TP sometimes, which means I then go in to overdrive and proceed to skill spam everything until it dies unless I get focused and explode instantly due to offensive stance's defense loss.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

^I'd recommend it to broke brain old PSO fans and people who run around games doing quests just for the lore bits (not a slam here I'm... describing me, I love this game)

I actually like augments but lol @ customizing my entire team's movesets no thanks

This too. Plus the soul voices to make it even more absurd. I get for min-maxxing that doing so would probably make me twice as powerful, maybe more, but that's a ton of poo poo to experiment with that honestly I'd be 100% ok with them just saying you can min-max, but here's a couple preset layouts for each character based on how you want to use them."

That said, I am still enjoying the game and was really happy to get the flight module finally. I'm still not 100% sure on how the hell I see people mention getting 500k-1m+ credit revenues when there doesn't seem to be nearly enough good (let alone of the same loving type) research probes unless you can either buy them outright or get tons of them from quests I haven't found yet. Only the main story and the blonde chick in the suit seem to give out non-mining probes (of which you find shitloads). Due to getting the first AM to level 5 I can see the level 50 skells for sale now and I think I might've made 2-2.5mil total so far so unless money ramps up extremely fast I can't imagine being able to afford any of the level 50 mechs until I'm done with the game at this rate. :smith:

Give me a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 with more and bigger worlds like in XCX, and a more streamlined set of mechanics like the original XC. I'm sure they'll make something in 2019 for the NX. I wish XCX was on PC though. And fully co-op.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Taear posted:

Unfortunately if you miss them out you're missing out on quests that open as you go up the quest chain. I did everything because of that. Which was frustrating but generally it's worth it. For example Professor X's questline has a collectable that only appears in Sylvanium during the night. I think it's a Nopon Rod of some kind.

And yea. Enemy types should be arranged better in the bestiary thing it gives you. I never find it useful and just had to google where to find stuff even if I'd met that enemy thirty times already.

Oh, lovely. I just want my drat probes and poo poo so I can setup better money making. I never even bought a 3rd Amadusias (or tricked out the first two) because holy poo poo everything at 30-40 starts costing 90-200k each and I'd need 5-10x the income to buy that stuff. Even a level 40 set of skell armor for the MC is expensive as gently caress and while I'm sure the bonuses are really helpful I'd never be able to afford it anyways.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean... I GUESS you could just follow a guide, yeah... I suppose most people don't find shuffling probes around as fun as I do. If you just want to get on with it, these are end-game setups for storage: http://i.imgur.com/ioey4FX.jpg and credits: http://i.imgur.com/o0XMbEO.jpg. Simply replace whatever you don't have with stuff you do.

Both links only show single regions but I'll try shuffling some probes around and dropping research probes on places with landmarks (I need to find said landmarks to get the big boost in revenue as well or no?)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unoriginal One posted:

All you really need is a couple of Arts TP XX mods, with maybe a Max TP XX for a buffer, and you're in business; you basically never run out of TP once you get a couple of those up, and if you know where and how to farm for weapons it probably won't take all that long to get some with Arts TP already baked in. The only really mandatory thing is using Dual Guns for Ghostwalker so you don't get one-shot, but you can use whatever for melee; most people go with Longsword because the only real on-foot superweapons happen to be Longswords(in particular they go Ether-type for Core Crusher), but I personally went with saber.

As for income, most research probes are found in chests. Also, don't worry about building up lvl 30 bots, the 50 tier is a huge jump up, and the 60s are a huge jump up from that.

If you want to save cash in the short-to-medium term, invest in Sakuraba until it's level 5 and get a set of the heavy on-foot gear; keep it up to date and it'll see you through most of the stuff the game throws at you.

I spent a lot of time going just about everywhere it was possible to go on foot before picking up the flight module and I don't regret a bit of it.

I had Sakuraba at level 5 around the time I hit level 30 (I spent a lot of time exploring early on and spending miranium as I got it) though I have maybe 360k in cash on hand so I doubt I can afford to get a full setup of their lvl 40 stuff right now, I'll keep it in mind though. I've just recently started working on the stuff to unlock chapter 10 but right now I'm running around Sylvania getting the non-rank 5 nodes located and linked up.

Internet Kraken posted:

Not nearly as often. I barely ever had a problem running away from stuff in XC but anytime I tried to run in XCX it was about 50/50 whether or not some homing projectile would phase through the terrain to oneshot me. Everything in XCX feels like its better at tracking you.

I noticed this as well, plus some enemies who just would not stop chasing me. Like they'd keep me in combat for 10+ seconds while I'm hauling rear end away from them in a skell and not aggroing other things, while some other enemies just stop chasing immediately. The only thing that's worse is when the flying whale assholes decide to fly overhead while you're fighting, aggro you, and immediately blow up your skell from full HP because they're level 55+ and you're in a level 30. Then you fail the QTE because of course you weren't expecting to get blown up while in overdrive at full hp. :argh:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 25, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

quote is not edit

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

After having just gone through the bullshit that is the Zu Phang boss fight in Chapter 10 I'm going to have to ask: What the gently caress was Monolith Soft thinking with that fight other than maybe "hey who wants to throw a massive gently caress You to players by having a fight that's entirely airborne AND constantly throws adds at you while ensuring you take tons of damage until you destroy 4+ appendages on the boss" because goddamn that fight was dumb.

I'm glad there's a "you are poo poo, how about an easy mode boss fight?" option because even loaded up with beamsabers and poo poo the boss was tearing through my party like it was nothing even before I could kill adds. Considering how bad the game's targeting system is making a fight in the air is insanity.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

NTT posted:

Skells

That was with level 30 skells. Aside from knockdowns in air taking a stupidly long time to recover from it was just doing a ludicrous amount of damage and soul voices weren't even close to keeping up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

You should really already have a 50 skell by that point, honestly. It's vastly more important for you to have a 50 than for your party to have 30's since they're so incompetent. Then again I have a really poor idea of the balance of the main game due to always doing every single possible bit of side content before progressing.

I'm level 43 and while my Income's about 90k after reworking my probes I'm still far below the several million needed for a level 50 skell.

Plus the idea that you need a level 50 skell to fight a level 39 boss is insanity since it'd mean the game expects you to severely overlevel the content. The fight's difficulty was just far beyond anything until that point.

The game desperately needs a "lock on to my target and make a loving beeline for it" option for aerial combat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

Part of the problem is that size is generally a big indicator of power as well. I mean, a level 90 cockroach type enemy sill probably gently caress you up just as much as something like the Simius monsters, but in general bigger enemies of similar levels can be exponentially harder than smaller ones.

And as for income... Search high and low, in caves and on the field for mechanical containers. Hit up all the tourist spots in Oblivia and follow the guide to get maximum resource gain. I thought I was being clever with my setups, but they failed to break like 50% of the income the optimal setup has.

I basically went and found a bunch of viewpoints and then dropped research probes on them, with my best duplicator on the node that sits between two nodes with 2 views in Oblivia, and went up to around 94k income in a hurry, which is much better than what I was making. I need more research probes. I have a bajillion goddamn mining probes since you constantly get them from mechanical sites.

Taear posted:

There's a character in the game who in Japan was apparently DLC called Alexia or something similar. If you do her personal quest to the end you can get a Skell blueprint. The items you need to build it are quite easy to get and you might already have them.
This skell isn't great but it's level 60 and sells for millions.

I made three of them and that's how I bought my skells.

:stare:

Going to go look for her next time I play, I guess.

Junkozeyne posted:

In a case of 'wait what? Are you kidding me game?' you can fight the Zu Pharg ebtirely on foot and as it is much easier I would say it was even the intended way. You just have to way until it gets nearer to the plateau you start on and then you can hit it with sword strikes that travel 100m to the air or something. Still would have been nice to tell you that.

That'd have been nice since I could've dropped probably 150k damage on it in a single overdrive. Assuming I lived long enough. Offensive stance is great until you're targetted by something that hits half-decently. At that point it's basically hoping to fire your "deal X% more dmg when targeted" skills and hope that the target dies first, which it usually does if it doesn't have an insane amount of HP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I guess I won't be making Alexa's skell since it appears the game has no non-hellish grinds for affinity until you actually beat the game. It'd be nice if a bunch of potentially cool character interactions didn't take a ridiculous amount of grinding for each character.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jimmybob posted:

Games been out for one year now. I've put close to 200 hours into it. I've explored every little corner of each of the continents. That's probably been my favorite part of the game. I like the affinity missions and the missions you get from the alien species as well. I still think the biggest flaws are having a silent protagonist and the barely comprehensible main plot line. Fortunately there's so much else in the game that those can be overlooked. They can tone down all the numbers and equipment. I don't even look at the elemental resistances of armor, just the overall defense rating and what perks it has. The inventory system takes me back to Mass Effect 1, which isn't really a good thing. Lots of room for improvement there. Hopefully if they do another game for the Switch or whatever Nintendo's new thing is called, they can combine the strengths of Xenoblade Chronicles and XCX, and remove more of the flaws. I'd love to see a well defined character like Shulk lead the story, instead of a voiceless shell.

If they make a XC for the Switch they need to fully embrace multiplayer. That there was fully functional co-op for the world tyrants was a massive tease and if you could've joined friends in their games it'd have been amazing regardless of how much it would mess with the game's balance. Limit your friends' use of skells/flight based on the host's progress or maybe even do some sort of level sync thing if need be, but being able to actually play with others would give a hell of a lot more replay value to the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'd honestly buy a Switch port of XCX if the additions and changes make the game feel smoother for the combat. Though the soul voice RNG is always going to be an issue.

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's not so much that mech combat is in need of a rework, it's the way late game is balanced that needs to be looked at. Too much emphasis on one-shot weapons thanks to how powerful everything gets past a certain level, and the tools to counteract that power normally (anti spike and element augs, etc) are waaay too tedious to farm for a lot of people.

This is the issue I ran in to in the end. Though a switch port would go quicker since I'd know what nav points to ignore until I have a skell, or flight itself, bee-line to level 4 for the nav beacon skill, actually take certain characters on missions so I can unlock their later missions without being forced to grind forever for it (like the DLC(?) girl someone mentioned previously for a cheap to make skell to sell for cash)...etc.

Mech combat is fundamentally broken though. Hit level 30, jump in an Amadusias, murder level 45+ enemies to get a dozen levels at breakneck speed... maybe push to 50 and then buy a level 50 Amadusias once you have the cash.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

The way I played XCX & what IMO is the optimal way to explore, is I went absolutely everywhere I could possibly go on foot before getting the skell and then before getting the flight module. There's a ton of interesting stuff and ways you can get into places you wouldn't expect and they have a really different feel from flying around. That made the jump in power and how you interact with the environment really feel like a big leap in progression and "poo poo getting real", now this huge world I've mastered seems much smaller kinda deal.

Same, except for a couple enemy bases that were just too high a level to deal with, and they didn't have geography flaws(?) that let you get inside without a fight. When the first FFXV trailer came out it honestly looked less impressive than XCX when trying to show off the open world.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The next Xenoblade game needs to go back to XC's music style either way. XCX had some decent music on its own but compared to XC's soundtrack it's not even close. Especially any track with vocals.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unoriginal One posted:

Music and skell combat aside, I'd like to have seen a bit of a rework done with how on-foot combat skills were set up; specifically, I'd like to see things like most auras and buffs no longer be bound to the weapon they're learned on. Admittedly, my motive is pretty-princess based, but it would be nice to not be locked to dual guns for Primer and Ghostwalker.

It'd also be nice if other weapon types got their equivalent to the Longsword superweapons, or at least overhaul the crafted stuff so it wasn't effectively useless.

Are they? I thought most/all buffs and auras were not weapon bound? I'm pretty sure I mastered Striker and then used its buffs while I went through the Commando classes. I definitely had longsword and dual sword buffs/auras in use together.

I'm definitely on board with overhauling the crafted stuff. I never saw much point to it when you could dump all your resources in to a corporation of your choice, unlocking higher quality versions of their gear, and said gear was generally better than whatever you'd have crafted for most of the game. Or you farm enemies for other gear, like XP boosting headgear or whatever, when you want/need a bonus that purchased gear doesn't have.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

XENOBLADE 2 AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Please be a launch title or close to it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Characters are full anime and not the :stonk: design of XCX too from the looks of things.

Here's a higher res version of the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKmlqSssog

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

nerdz posted:

For me the coolest thing about xenoblade was the world itself, being able to look at bionis and mechonis from many points of view, and the consistency of it all.

Looks like they're doing a similar thing with the huge Yggdrasil and Jormungand there. Having a huge rear end snake circling around the planet and a huge rear end tree in front of it is just my thing.

Also I sorta understand where they are coming from with the weird faces. To me, they are slightly SD to account for all the gameplay on a smaller screen like the switch. If you played xenoblade on the 3ds you'll know how tiny things are there.

That thing in the final scene of the teaser looked like Bismarck from FFXIV.

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe they can take another leaf out of Tales book and actually have decent combat too.

4 player co-op combat and storyline gameplay would be rad. The multiplayer thing in XCX being limited to world tyrants was such an awful tease and being able to have friends run around in XCX with you would've been great even though 4 people working together could/would just demolish any sort of challenge.

Sakurazuka posted:

You're playing Taes games wrong if combat takes more than 30 seconds.

What if I want to use cursed weapons to do 1 damage hits and juggle an enemy for 30minutes straight to get a 100k+ hit combo? :colbert:

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah the call out /respond system in Chronicles X (battle voices or something?) was a great natural evolution to the Chronicles battle system. Shame about the rest of the game.

The whole "you pulled off a couple QTEs in a row so now the next few are going to have about a 1/4 or less window to hit them" thing was a dumb and awful thing though, especially considering how important those were to healing in some cases.

Also the ability to revive a party member was screwy as poo poo. I don't think the game ever actually tells you what determines if/when you can revive someone (to say nothing of the AI reviving you).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Riki is legitimately broken as poo poo.

He has insane damage, easily among the highest in the game if you spec properly, has an actual heal and an incredibly strong skillset. You can trivialize most of the game if you built properly and use chain attacks.

I'd forgotten about Riki's DoTs being busted as poo poo when used in chains. Melia was supposedly OP as hell too but I never really saw it. I might've just been bad at using her though.

Riki needs to be in Xenoblade 2. If not as a playable character then revered as a mythical hero by the Nopon.

thanks alot assbag posted:

Riki was awesome. Tatsu was loving idiot garbage for dumb bads

i hope tatsu dies in this game

One of XCX's issues was it had a feeling of "we're doing this thing because it worked in XC" and Tatsu was by far the biggest offender in that regard. Such a blatant attempt to be a comedy character like Riki but he fails at that while also being utterly worthless. Lin should've actually made him in to a meal and been done with it because he was a total writing failure.

Goddamn, I didn't realize Disgaea 5 was coming to Switch too. That was one of the few games I've wanted to play but lack a PS4. Reasons to buy a PS4 are rapidly approaching zero.

Xenoblade just being '2017' makes me worry it'll end up being maybe late 2017 for Japan and some time in 2018 for the rest of us if we're lucky.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Meanwhile, on Best Buy's website:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xenoblade-chronicles-2-nintendo-switch/5721725.p?skuId=5721725

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Moénado. :japan:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

If it's true that just means it ends up getting removed or modified in the Western release like half of Lin's stuff, anyway.

And then we get to listen to the definitely-not-pedophiles complain about censorship.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Some of the gather items also only could be found in certain parts of areas. I think there was a quest or two that required items that only spawned by waterfalls?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Uh...
Yeah!
uh.uh.uh.
:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I really hope that XC2's affinity system is entirely different, or that you have everyone in your party at all times so that their affinity is building as you play through the game (with more affinity for active party members). XCX had a bunch of neat ideas but some of the grind seriously feels like they were trying to make an MMO.

• Locked thread