Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As a fan of jrpgs, giant robots, and anime buttrock, I am excited for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elma looks like she'd be cool, but from what I have heard from a stream last night her voice is incredibly mediocre and boring.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This game is real good especially now that I've finally got a decent handle on the combat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have to question the game's color coding of enemy difficulty, considering purples and greens are supposed to be easy and yet are both higher level than I am and capable of one shotting anyone in my party, basically. I suppose having the correct resistance matters a hell of a lot?

Also it doesn't really matter now since I just cheated with reward tickets, but for getting energy tubes from puges in primordia, are there really only the four puges in the southeast in the entire zone?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thank you Elma for actually noticing that it is kinda weird that we can all understand and converse perfectly fine with alien races we are meeting for the first time or simply listening to. I should really work harder on progressing the story rather than just loving around, but this is such a good gently caress around game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Ma-non have a strong appreciation for pizza, so they are cool in my book.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Doug seems like a good guy. I like him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, the more I use HB the more I actually kinda like him. Sure, he's kind of an egotistical rear end in a top hat, but his heart's in the right place and I find most of his post-battle convos pretty funny.

On that note, Murderess + literally any other character = Comedy. Guaranteed.

HB is a cool guy and I will support him in his rise to the top. He also suffers slightly less from Xeno-face than for example Gwin.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 12, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AfroGunsou posted:

tatsu keeps saying i collect new thing when i certainly have not collect new thing. could me having zero of a collectible at the time and then picking one up be triggering these notifications or is the potato boy broken and i just need to shut him off forever

also is scouting people from out in the world exactly the same as if i scouted them from teh console? still have to pay a fee and everything?

I think the point of those messages from Tatsu is to try to get people to post where to find things. I don't think it has anything to do with the collectopedia.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Where the hell is HB after you do his mission? I've been trying to get that dude back in the party and can't find him at all. The lack of an easy way to re-add party members is definitely my biggest complaint about the game so far, though that's really only for the fourth slot since Elma and Irina will probably never leave my party.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

People were having trouble with the chapter 6 boss? I killed that thing in like 15 seconds. Though to be fair that may be due to being overleveled a tad from screwing around doing various missions and exploring.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 13, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

horchata posted:

I need to know what skills and arts you're using cause i chose the lance/sniper class as my first class and everything seems so slow

Likewise if anyone has anything for the raygun that makes it not involve so much sitting around I'd appreciate it. Such a change from the dual swords class that always has something to do.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

What is it with scifi RPG's having massively racist party characters and that behavior is presented as a good thing? I can't wait to get this guy out of my party.

I'm pretty sure that it is not presented as a good thing, but that being a space racist isn't the only thing about the character. Hell, most of the random people get along just fine with the aliens or have a quest about them overcoming initial revulsion.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is it possible to mess up a heart to heart and end up locking yourself out of something? The game is in general very forgiving so I hope not, but I am still worried about that before I start doing them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Irina is cool and I like her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

instead, i just shot him with a sniper rifle for 10 minutes

Raygun also works.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want Mamapon in my party, though I understand that she is too powerful and would make the game too easy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is very inconsiderate that you park your skell right in the middle of an intersection if you fast travel to the commercial district. Must give the BLADE department of urban planning fits.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It would be nice if the game have some sense of how much the various attributes and resistances actually do. Like is 100 beam resistance a 50% beam damage reduction or something, and is ground fighting in a skell suit suicide? Likewise how much is the bonus or penalty for elements on weapons, though nothing so far has seemed outright ineffective so I guess it can't be too much.

And on that note what do you even use against what targets? I got from just random conversations that thermal is good against bugs and ether is good against regular critters, and I'm guessing electric is good against mechanical and fish and gravity against flying and big targets, but what about beam?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HB is a treasure.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lao wears very tight pants.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Nagi is the best character in the game, has best conversations. Best party overall for maximum banter is Nagi, HB and Murderess, IMHO.

I've generally enjoyed the various characters, though Phog could use a little bit more. I generally run around with Irina and Elma who talk about going shopping after battles, and if you have a female character with the Major voice Irina makes fun of both you and Elma for being princesses.

Also Doug is great and underappreciated.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Aggressively normal is probably how I would describe it, she's supposed to be a badass leader but she just likes work and cats and classic cars like your pal down the pub

Like L & H.B. etc are real entertaining for how over the top they are but I kinda like the average-ness of some of the others, if that makes sense. It kind of grounds the fantastical setting for me? We are fighting to protect the sacred boring-ness of every human in NLA

I'm kinda of the same mind on Elma. Yeah she's pretty boring in terms of personality and voice acting, but you occasionally get little bits of characterization apart from her ~deep mysteries~ that make her feel like a relatively normal person, and it works reasonably well for me at least. She's basically just a jrpg protagonist except not the one you play.

Also the ending cutscene of chapter 7 amused me with everyone doing the same hand on hip thing in response to Vandham.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 19, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Skell beam gatlings do a ton of damage, but they're likely to get you in a real jam if you aim it wrong. Kinda makes me feel bad to use a skell in story mission boss fights that I'm a bit overleveled for due to a lot of exploring and side quests.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's interesting to look at Takahashi's history and how each title feels like a direct response to the last one. Xenogears was too much story stuffed into one game so he tried to retell the story in bite sized chunks with Xenosaga. With Xenosaga, the gameplay was generally panned and people didn't much take to the episodic format so he shrank the scope of the story and focused on game play and world design with Xenoblade. People liked the gameplay and loved the world design in Xenoblade so that's what they focused on with XCX while sidelining the story.

It just makes me wonder where he's headed next since the gameplay is incredibly solid and the world design is best in class for XCX. The only common criticisms are that the story and characters have been too minimized and annoying but easily fixable details they mucked up like autosave, party management, and targeting.

I could see a sequel being more character focused now that the larger world is more or less established, and I hope they would use the chance to develop the existing characters a bit more. I don't mind that the characters are a bit shallow in this one since it's not really a character driven story from the start. They're all functional enough, which is probably damning with faint praise, but I think it works well enough.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elma's second and third heart to hearts are fun and help flesh her out. She actually has a sense of humor after all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is it possible to permanently miss arms manufacturers or have I just not gotten to them yet? I am missing 2. I have the 4 basic ones, the Orphe, and the Nopon. I am worried about passing some point of no return.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

Man, I'm loving all these mutiny options in dialogues. "The Secretary of Defense went missing! I'll be the new one!"

Picking Elma as your favorite type of pet in her second heart to heart is also pretty good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zombie Defiler posted:

Also does anyone know why the gently caress Irina has such low base HP / is awful?
She is entirely goddamn unusable because she dies immediately in every confrontation.

She's the closest to a designated healer in the game. Also you can just put her in Sakuraba gear for the bonus HP or CC for higher base defense, though she'll get wrecked by beams in that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

that's it. that's what you're missing.

Freedom has died.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Someone tell me about inventory and equipment management. I just got the game for Christmas and I've already picked up a ton of various weapons and armor. Fooling around with the shops in town has shown that there's upgrades for every single piece of gear, and selling things I don't need seems to involve going to a window that gives me very little info as I sell them off one by one. This is exactly the kind of thing I dislike doing. Is there a strategy to make equipment management as painless and not tedious as possible?

My strategy is basically to just ignore it and if I want an upgrade I just buy it from the shop (upping the arms manufacturer levels gives their gear more mods, though they're fixed based on the manufacturer instead of more variable like drops, but gently caress that management).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly if I was gonna pare back the excess party members, Gwin would be top of the list. He only exists to hang off Irene's side like a lost puppy. Lao too, because all you see of him in most missions is "Hi guys, bye guys, have fun guys :wave:".

Doug too, come to think of it, because he's just so generically normal in a cast of more interesting characters.

Doug's battle quotes are interesting, at least. I can't remember any of Gwin's. I think his special arts are good, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

enforcer is fine as long as you watch where you're aiming those aoe arts so you don't accidentally bite off more than you can chew. and you should be able to get a full party already, from what i remember. look for blue checkmarks on the map of the administrative district and you should be able to find gwin, irina, and doug to recruit them.

and yes, explore nla. if you see anyone with a yellow speech bubble, go up to them because they'll have important info for filling out your map.

Personally I would hold off on going enforcer until you've mastered a class line with one of the better melee weapons first (I use dual swords with it) and have a good stock of bp to max beam barrage asap. The knife has really poor damage and TP generation in my experience, and since it is more based on support skills you're relying on the often not terribly effective AI. Dual swords are also really good for TP generation which is needed because the raygun is a TP hog if you really want to get a lot out of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

I'm definitely not looking forward to spending the next 300 hours listening to the same lovely songs over and over that I've already gotten tired of.

That sounds like a personal problem, because the music owns, actually.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

I just bought this game, and I have not played the original Xenoblade Chronicles, is there anything I should know before getting into this?

Besides reading the manual being very important to understanding a ton of the combat systems, nope.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Hello yes I am from frontiernav. Now, I know the last one had to be put in a cave, but this one really needs to be put on top of a giant spire.

Look, that thing needs to be buried deep in the uhhh...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Honkbirds are great and I won't hear a word said against them

Three honkybirds stacked on top of each other hosed me up once, but I couldn't stay mad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

After watching Star Wars I now just imagine a Chewbacca roar whenever my silent protagonist is supposed to have said something.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If they (hopefully) make a sequel, I hope they re-examine skells. They're fun at first for the big power boost, but are really shallow and boring compared to regular ground combat and basically supplant it until the super end game builds. I wouldn't mind them cutting out fuel use from flight and reducing the number of weapons you can equip (maybe just have your skell be equipped based on your class), but making skell attacks burn a lot more fuel and binding/parking restore it faster so that hopping in and out of a skell in combat or giving it a rest for a while is more of a thing. For fights where you're intended to be in a skell for longer periods, binding could restore more I guess. I definitely wouldn't want them to be ditched entirely, but they need to be iterated on to still feel cool and important without effectively removing a good portion of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have put 80+ hours into this game and only just noticed that in combat the tool tips at the bottom for what your skills do will say what allies' soul voices will do. Granted you don't really have a whole lot of time to notice it, but that makes remembering them a hell of a lot easier than trying to remember from the soul voice menu what they do.

• Locked thread