Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm not nearly as far into this game as everyone else is. But I just had an exhilirating stealthy experience wading through the deep parts of Noctilum, looking for Schneider, the Cliffpercher. This game seemed iffy when I started but now that I'm understanding it more it's feeling more like Xenoblade, which is good because Xenoblade, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I swam to Sylvalum. As soon as I heard that music, it was worth every single moment I paddled. I hope I can explore that place more readily soon. Haven't even started Chapter 5 yet.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

TurnipFritter posted:

I spared a bunch of piglets on a mission thirty hours ago and now I've found out they grew up and killed a bunch of people.

Goddamn it, I spared them too... not looking forward to that

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Finally got to the point where I can get my first Skell, but wah wah, gamepad battery indicator turned red. That's okay though, I just the charge time as a way to just tell me when I've played for way too long.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Trying to get to level 30 for the better Skells, not sure where the best place to do that is without messing with augments. Also I've been toting around Irina, Gwin, and Doug since I've neglected them quite a bit and they've gotten stronger too, so there's that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Finally got an Inferno frame. I'm not sure what to do now, but I suppose Affinity Missions isn't a bad way to go now that my level is much higher.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I got some Scythe back weapon for my Skell, and its Art does two strong hits that deal more damage if I'm behind an enemy, and my ability to kill things above my level has shot up insanely. Still, it's hard to believe I'm nowhere close to endgame, and seeing you all talk about it is spooky.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Zombie Defiler posted:

Oh and I don't think we have a clue who was fighting the Ganglion in the opening scene with the two fleets going at it do we?

They said Earth was caught up in a war between two alien races. I assume the Ganglion were successful and wiped out that other race.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It's kinda funny, back in original Xenoblade Spike damage/effects had you get warned about them in advance in a tiny tutorial screen, and nobody really paid attention to it until it was too late. Now here there's absolutely no information about it, and it's still wrecking people. It's probably the most Xenoblade-y thing about late-game combat, in my opinion.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Any tips for the Chapter 9 boss? I'm at around level 38 and Elma and Lin are slightly behind. Preferably I'd like a strategy that doesn't involve breaking the game over its heel. Who's a good fourth to bring? Who should I focus on first? What kinds of classes work well? If I just need to grind more, I can do that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I finally beat Chapter 9. After getting myself to level 40 and having L in the party as support, I managed to burn down the six fighters, only to realize this was only phase one of the battle and now it was giant robot duel time. In both battles, the more agile spear-wielder was more of an annoyance and threat than the prince himself. Many scythes were slightly mis-timed to not get the bonus damage. It was on my third try that I managed to have all my party members alive for the final part after he calls in his backup, and just as I was about to deal the final blow during that fire rain nonsense, he attacks first and destroys my Skell in a single swipe. But he has such few HP left, I don't give up, and spam my arts like hell to burn down that last bit of health. I don't feel like I really deserved that win, but anything to earn that flight module.

I used the consumables for the first time in that battle. Should probably remember to actually pick them up.

EDIT: v Sure, no problem.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 22, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't just beat on his robot, gang up and focus on his limbs one-by-one. It makes fighting him a whole lot easier when you're systematically ripping his toys off one-by-one.

I feel like I got both of his legs but couldn't reach any other part of him. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Oh well, I guess that's something to remember for Time Attack or something?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Any tips on completing Alexa's second affinity mission, gathering stuff in Cauldros? I've found plenty of the things that drop the one thing, but only one ever has. And I've never found the specific breed the quest mentions. I'd like to get at least a few more before using reward tickets, which I don't have too many of. And then there's the collectable; I had two of them already, but I've been exploring Cauldros for the past two days and found precisely zero of them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Zombie Defiler posted:

If you decide to farm Shrads for their eyes to make Treasure Sensor XX augments, I suggest here.

You'll find 5 shrads in that small area, easily pew pew'd but just watch out for Yarhat the Thundercloud.
There is a spot where you can sit and re-enter your skell and just kill three shrads over and over with an AOE attack though.

I have killed so many wretched rollyballs and received so few shrad eyes, guh.

Another fair point: I don't have any strong murder-power AOEs yet, haven't even reached level 50. I was actually tooling around there for a while, but the Tyrant really made me reel.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Cleared Chapter 10. That was... interesting. I hope she's dead, but I know better.

With that plot wall out of the way I can do like five new Affinity Quests, so might as well take care of that while I can.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Probably echoing thousands of sentiments but y'all weren't kidding about Phoenix and G-Buster.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Suaimhneas posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for where to find all the party members? Googling only gets me guides for how to find the quests to unlock them, but what I need to know is where to go to find them and put them in my party, since some game designer had a stroke or suffered some kind of serious head trauma or something and thought making you run all over the city to do this was a good idea

Elma and Lin are within the Barracks.
Irina is outside of the Barracks, to your left if you're exiting it or to the right if you're approaching it.
Murderess is further down that path before the Mim Maintenance Center.
Gwin is on Division Drive, on the right side if you're coming from the Barracks' direction. So is Lao.
Doug's in the Hangar on the lower part of the Admin. District. He's hanging out at the far ledge to the right if you're facing the Restricted Hangar Entrance.
L will be slightly on the left after passing the shopping terminals on Armory Alley.
Nagi is standing on the edge of the helicopter bridge outside of BLADE Tower.

Phog is near the crane on the right in the Residental District's north side.
H.B. is on the large square grassy field near the Water Purification Plant.
Hope is in the center of Deliverance Park.

Alexa is just outside the Outfitters Test Hangar in the Industrial District.
Celica will be within the Integrated Production Plant, hard to miss.
Frye hangs out outside the Repente Diner.

Bozé is overlooking an unfinished street in the bottom corner of the Commercial District.
Yelv will be between two buildings to the right of North Founders Street.
And I haven't gotten far enough to recruit Mia yet.

If there are any things people would prefer spoiled out of this list, tell me now. And by the way, if any of these spots seems wrong, it's usually because a Heart-to-Heart is pulling them away from where they usually are.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 30, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I need some assistance of my own. Two things:

1. Where do I get the "Haywire!" mission I need to start Murderess's second affinity mission?
2. What are the prerequisites to getting the 98th stuffed lobster to appear, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a pre-requisite quest of setting up some automated security droids for the Biahno Water Treatment Plant. It starts in the Outfitters Test Hangar with Ton'Celeg. The Haywire Quest itself is available at that location from Rosie. It might only be at night, but that's when I found it.

Oh, right, I did that prerequisite, I never thought to head back to there though. I'll check it out soon.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I was scared, since I finally got this one quest but it took me into a place where I can't bring my Skell. Suddenly I'm surrounded by a whole bunch of monsters and the rest of my team is dead. But then...

Overdrive! True Stream Edge! Defensive Stance! Tornado Blade! Overdrive (again)! True Stream Edge! Tornado Blade!

I killed them all by myself. I definitely am not using Overdrive as intended but holy crap.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Rexoskell kicked my butt so I just went around looking at treasure-based hexagons and filling out what I could. Not the most productive day. I could go and beat Chapter 12, but the more time I spend not doing that the better, probably.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Getting to a point where everything can kill me except what doesn't matter. Do I just ticket my way to a Superweapon and call it a day?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go to Bahr Basin in North Sylvalum. Smash the robots around there until they cough up G-Busters and an Intergalactic -Tier Phoenix.

I already have a Phoenix and G-Buster: Does Intergalatic REALLY make that much of a difference?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Tender Bender posted:

I wanted to use L but I went to his hangout spot and he wasn't there. I wasn't on an affinity mission or anything, and the only info I had was that the map said he "can usually be found there". I went and did some other stuff and when I came back he was there. Good design imo.

Heart-to-heart was probably going down somewhere. When they don't appear just change the time to another time of day then go back.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Calaveron posted:

Nope, level 30 Skells with level 39+- dudes and I desperately need to replace at least one Skell because wow Verus sucks.
I guess I'll farm puges and robots in general and see what augments I can craft.
How can I tell if a probe site is near a sightseeing point?

It'll list it when you select that probe on the segment map: Sightseeing Spots 0/1 or 0/2 or -- if there are none. I went on a sightseeing spree to get my money up to 130,000 for a certain quest, paid off.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Suaimhneas posted:

I avoid skell weapons with "bonus damage on bound enemies" arts on them because the bind always breaks before the art hits so it's pointless.

I'm pretty sure in any case like that, as long as the art begins execution during the bonus condition, then it'll get the bonus damage. For example, Back Slashing an enemy that turns around to face you while you're in the middle of the animation will still count as hitting their back as long as you hit the button while "BACK" is showing. You just have to be sure you're ready.

Despite this I've been using a spare weapon with a Bound Damage Up condition, but I have never ever put another of my party members in Skells. That might be a thing to do someday. I also did managed to snag an Intergalactic Phoenix, and while it's certainly better I don't feel like it's letting me punch any higher than I have been. I'll see if I can find a G-Buster but finding my first one was hard enough.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

chumbler posted:

I totally screwed up the pizza serial killer mission and got basically everyone killed.

There's a happy ending to that one???

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I've never changed my division (Reclaimers) and I have a bunch of Personal Patches and Frame Patches. I just try to treat my Skell with care and nail the free insurance button press. Maybe it'll change when I get past Chapter 12 and make level 60 Skells, but even if I'm scared I'd probably just save beforehand and reload if it blows up unsuccessfully.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Was farming robots and I got an Intergalatic G2-Buster.

I'll count that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It took me all evening to get one 150 G-Buster. The difference in power is quite staggering. I was starting to think it was impossible for it to drop, even though I had found the upgraded versions of other weapons from those puges in the past (A Heathorn, in particular, I'd been using since I got a level 50 Skell).

Any special preparations I should make for Chapter 12's fights? Like, for example, getting other Skells for my friends Elma and Lin?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Phog is cool. His heart-to-hearts are entertaining. He loves me a lot more than Frye.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah it would have been really great to have more aliens join the team. I realize that they did it because they didn't want non-BLADES doing stuff for you or to have anybody incapable of riding in a Skell (Nopon), and just to keep that player avatar thing going with the online connectivity and stuff... But one of those weird non-standard Orpheans would have been great.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Speaking of which I can't find "Petramand Black Silk" in the reward ticket list but a quest wants me to get it. I wanted to get it and then use reward tickets for an easy clear and some affinity but it's not there. Is it going by some other strange name?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

What's the most efficient way to get an Ares 90 again? I'm sure it's somewhere in the deep recesses of this thread, but looking would be an exercise in futility I bet. Also, exactly what do I need to do to fight Global Nemeses and how do I not screw it up royally?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All you need is to focus-fire on each one in turn and they'll go down fairly fast. An Excavator's good enough to do the job too.

I was :stare: at those too, but I had an Excavator so I guess that made the difference? It wasn't even close, despite the level difference.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I wanna do that. Where's the right arm?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

re: Lin eating Tatsu, the joke reached its pinnacle in Lin's final affinity mission "To Serve Nopon", and it legitimately made me laugh seeing Tatsu's mind's interpretation of what Lin said. That's anime for ya.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm almost sure Phoenix and G-Buster aren't buyable. If you can fly, the way I liked to grind before I got all my good stuff was sniping the level 59 Prone at the top of the big crater in Sylvalum. It's somewhere in the center left, I forget what it's called exactly. But, if you're patient, you can E-Scythe them, and then put away your weapons and just step all over them, launching them about and keeping them from actually fighting back, until you finally end up killing them. Rinse and repeat.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

These upgraded Diskbombs are friggin' hilarious to see in action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Mind_Taker posted:

What's the best way to farm reward tickets for building Ares 90?

I farmed the easy stuff (Advanced Cores, Upgraded Lenses, Seidr Control Devices) but I still need to acquire the other items which I read you pretty much need reward tickets to get.

If you don't wanna bother with the nemesis, just do squad tasks a bunch. Once you run out of tasks you can do, use the Social tab on your menu to switch to another squad and do theirs. Look for squad missions that give a lot of tickets as rewards as well.

• Locked thread